Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
UCS

I'm torn. On one hand, having Neo on your side is awesome, on the other, I want to see you go up against him because I'm a bad person.

On the subject of good vs bad, it's been several years but I believe the LC take with them some people from unaligned nations if they win? I forget. In general, though, all the factions are looking out for #1 first: the UCS seeks to evacuate its citizens and spares no resources for anyone else, the ED can't evacuate its entire population with their plan so a lot of corruption and doublethink going on there, and due to their lower population, access to lunar resources and expertize with space construction the LC can afford to evacuate themselves and even have a bit of room to spare, I believe.

I never played TMP or LS, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Nope! In fact Neo gives you a hacked army to play with and keep in one mission. The ED path is far, far less of an rear end in a top hat to you than the UCS path even though you have to deal with plasma cannons.

Bet you all wish you'd voted differently now, eh? :twisted:

If I remember correctly, this actually gives you repair units so you can upgrade your older designs. The ED path is the easy one. (that's why I voted UCS)

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Yep! If you compare the globes you'll notice the early missions had lots of snow everywhere (it was winter after all) and the current missions don't.

About 150 days now. The time limit is only really an issue in the ED/UCS campaigns since they're longer.

I'd say that more than 'normal' winter, considering how snow-covered the entire globe was, it's likely the trajectory Earth is following first took it past its normal orbit (resulting in really harsh global cooling), and now we're seeing it fall into its usual orbit then go past as it inexorably plummets into the Sun.

Another possibility is nuclear winter due to the nukes used in the '48 war, or perhaps a mix of both.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
UCS Campaign spoilers: Neo probably survived, and his hacking causes the UCS-LC alliance to break.

Also Axeil, great job so far, though I feel like you aren't properly showcasing how the globe map changes as the clock ticks down on Earth - it's a minor thing, but I found it rather cool.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The rest of the missions are just grinding without any new techs, aren't they? I'd say keeping them simple, just showcasing the map and strategies you used (and of course the flavour text). Maybe intentionally lose a few units so you can build more crions because drat those things rock.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I never figured out what Fang wanted the equipment for. Is it made clear anywhere?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

My only guess is that he wanted to preserve all the movies Neo liked and talked about all the time back when they were together in the war.

Hm, makes sense.

Back when, for some reason I thought that Neo had become and AI and Fang wanted to back him up. Or something.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
UCS

Because robots.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

The ending cutscene was a little...underwhelming? It didn't even show the Moon, which it kinda seems like it should for the Moon-based faction.

The UCS outro does. It and the ED outro are higher quality, incidentally.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Earth only explodes in the LC outro, in the others it's still in one piece when their evacuation ships leave.

Combined with the cutscene quality, feels like the LC one was done first.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
On the plus side, you can upgrade your old units as you research chassis and weapon upgrades and shields, instead of sacrificing them to make room.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm disappointed you didn't do Fang Wolfborn and President Obama.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

DatonKallandor posted:

Interesting that you consider the UCS Grenade launchers good against tanks - I always found them extremely lacking against mobile enemies and only used them against buildings (where they excel, having ludicrous damage output and great range).

They're your best source of early damage, the issue is hitting. This can be solved by either manual aiming and leading shots, waiting until the enemy stops moving to shoot (won't work on enemies that never stop dancing while in combat), or just having so many of them that the enemy can't possibly evade the grenade rain.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
That's really only LC because their buildings are dropped down, but yeah, units are very whinny.

Hey Axeil, any chance you'll showcase the script system?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I honestly don't remember having too much of a problem with any of the campaigns, however I had a tendency to pause a lot during battles to micro even individual shots and dodges, and my unit survivability was so high I tended to drop a large veteran force with the first albatross and use it to rush the enemy positions before they got too entrenched.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The real UCS campaign starts here.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Not as such, but in the case of LC and ED, I believe their chassis with 2 heavy weapon mounts is slower/weaker than their heavy one with a single one.

The design considerations relate to what mix of weapons you'll put on different hardpoints: do you go for all ground weapons? Do you go for heavy energy weapons and add rocket on the light mounts for air defence? The opposite, going for heavy missiles and putting light energy weapons on top? That kind of thing.

In multiplayer, cost efficiency matters a bit but for the campaign you're limited by number of military hulls, so you want to pack your slots with the best and deadliest.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
It's cheesing it, but I believe the hackings happen at specific time-marks, so before you hit them you can hide your units in your albatross (and I think tunnels too? Not sure on that one) and they'll be unaffected.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Back when, I thought that the ship opening up and jettisoning all that debris meant it was getting rid of the humans. Expansions/sequels proved that not to be the case so it's probably just misc. construction materials like the installation the ship was built around of, but I'd have been okay with such an ending.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Gideon020 posted:

Sci-fi ship for LC, a UFO for the UCS, how are the ED going to leave?

We'll be seeing that next update. It's a very Russian solution.

Adrastus posted:

I like that the UCS evacuation ship is saucer shaped and seemed to have some sort of warpdrive, unlike that of other factions. Isn't there something in the lore about Area 51 and what not?

Btw: What became of the UCS in the sequel?

Yeah, it's the source of their anti-grav plane technology (much like in the case of the LC) and IIRC we'll be hearing a bit more about that in the ED campaign.

As for what happens to them in the sequel the LC and ED both settle on Mars (and begin fighting for it) before it's fully terraformed. They never hear from the UCS vessel so they assume it malfunctioned or otherwise got lost turns out the AI just said "gently caress that" and decided to keep the evacuees in cryo until the other two factions stopped fighting. :awesomelon:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Glazius posted:

There's that much of a difference in travel time between the unguided rockets and chaingun bullets? Or is the chaingun more of a hitscan weapon?

Hitscan, which means it's extremely ammo efficient.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

my dad posted:

Huh, I missed the update somehow.

Holy poo poo, that alien ship. :stare: Do you get to use in later missions?

Yes.

Also, IIRC what I'd call the UFO's main weakness is that it has a fairly small ammo capacity. Fang suffers a bit from it in protracted engagements, but the UFO does more if my memory doesn't fail.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
UCS

Never played Moon Project myself, looking forward to it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Glazius posted:

500 kilos of cargo space?

I don't think I've ever owned 500 kilos of stuff. Is this one of those worlds where they never discovered transistors and that's how much an iPad weighs?

Furniture, a small vehicle, antiques and art pieces, foodstuffs (liquor collection), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I havne't played 2160 in awhile and mean to get back into it at some point but from what I remember The UCS master computer kept the ship in stasis to wait out the development and end to the wars between the ED and LC on mars. The logic was that by doing so it would consume less resources and help to enhance the potential for the UCS to survive and control on mars. The reappearance of the UCS in the story line was due to a mercenary force that found the ship and started using the mobile construction units to create a force to control their interests and attack areas. That was once reason at the end of the LC campaign your main goal was to attack the mercenary camp and determine the location of the UCS mothership to retake it and reactive the main systems to take it and the people onboard to Eden (and the people that escaped in lost souls)

Just like I said I haven't played in awhile but I swear I remember that was what happened. I found the game fun to play. drat hard at times but can be interesting. The customization was more simple and obtuse then 2150 though which did drag it down. Still not as much BS as the original DOS version of 2140 is. That game gets to be an all out slug fest fast and the AI knows to prioritize the structures you need like power plants. So many times I lost in a mission because an air transport came and took out a power plant because the AI will rush those if it can and take them over. And subsequently blow them to hell :bang::argh:

More exactly, seeing as how Mars is inhospitable, and the reason why it's anywhere near capable of sustaining a population is terraforming work the LC started some 50 years before the onset of the game and that will take a century more at least, combined with the ED and LC managing to evacuate sizeably and begin hostilities anew, the UCS mothership AI decides to just wait it out since they have that luxury. It estimates how long it will take for Mars to be suitably habitable and just holds on to that, which is a pretty sound decision. The UCS side of things is one of the neater aspects of 2160, but much of the rest is turd.

• Locked thread