Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Welcome to this Let's Play of The Earth 2150 Trilogy! I'll be playing all three games in the series: Earth 2150, The Moon Project and Lost Souls. I've still got my copies of all the stuff that came with the games so as the thread goes along I'll try and post some bonus updates about the manuals, box art, Prima guides that came in the box, etc.

I also will be posting all the in-game cut-scene videos and game music. The cut-scenes can be a bit :effort: but the music is great. My hope is this LP can be a definitive look at the series and give people insight to three amazing games they probably haven't played.

The Earth 2150 Trilogy is a series of three games made by TopWare Interactive/Zuxxez Entertainment AG, two game companies from Poland. There have been some other games to come out of Poland recently like The Witcher Series and The Call of Juarez Series but the Earth 2150 Trilogy predates them by a number of years.

The first game, Earth 2150, was released in June of 2000 and was revolutionary. It was followed by two sequels, The Moon Project, released in March of 2001 and Lost Souls released in October of 2002.

Why was the first game revolutionary? Well other strategy games at the time looked like this:

But Earth 2150 looked like this:

The game claims on the box it was "The First Real-time Strategy [Game] with Total 3D Warfare!" This is definitely true total bullshit as proven by the existence of earlier games like Total Annihilation, Dark Reign and the Myth series, but hey, late 90s/early 200s advertising. The game does stand up well compared to to C&C Tiberian Sun and Starcraft: Brood War which were very popular headline RTS franchises at the time. Earth 2150 had a real day/night cycle, dynamic weather, 3D deformable terrain and a fully customizable army. The C&C franchise would not go to 3D until Command & Conquer: Generals, about 3 years later. Warcraft did not go 3D until Warcraft III in 2002. Starcraft did not go 3D until Starcraft II in 2010. Neither Starcraft nor C&C have incorporated day/night and customizable units the way the Earth series did. Warcraft III did do some pretty neat things with unit regeneration and day/night cycles though it's not quite the same as how the Earth series used it. While the big name RTS franchises didn't have these features, smaller RTS games like Outpost II and Enemy Nations did have customizable units. Dynamic weather is still a relatively rare feature in the RTS genre. This game was definitely cutting edge for its time and still seems pretty revolutionary from a gameplay perspective today.

So why didn't everyone play it? As far as I can tell there were four reasons:

1. The original developer, TopWare Interactive went bankrupt in April of 2001, a month after the second game in the trilogy, The Moon Project was released. As a result the series did not have the best bug testing and there are still weird bugs to this day. Support was almost non-existent.
2. The game was made in Poland so there was little exposure here in the States. This was made worse because...
3. There was little effort put into publicizing this game. I think the only reason I bought this game when I was a kid was because C&C Tiberian Sun was too expensive and this one was on sale. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City had all sorts of advertisements for C&C Tiberian Sun and Starcraft/Warcraft but I didn't see any advertisement for the Earth series.
4. Other good RTS games from much larger publishers came out in 2000. Shogun: Total War (EA) and Ground Control (Sierra) were released weeks after Earth 2150. They were both very well received and the Total War franchise has gone on to be an RTS juggernaut. That's some pretty stiff competition for a brand new franchise from fairly obscure developers.

To illustrate this issue: It took me months to find Lost Souls when it came out in 2002. I think I ended up getting it from some weird game site that I no longer remember. This is despite the fact it's a fairly strong title and has a much more engaging campaign than The Moon Project does. If I could barely find this game then what hope did they have of selling this to someone with no stake in the franchise?

But not to worry Internet, I'm going to be bringing the Earth experience to you.

Yes! GOG has the Earth Trilogy for sale here: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/earth_2150_trilogy. The game is really cheap and you'll love it. There are some issues with running it at modern resolutions though, so check the support forums. I'm running at 1280x960 and things are okay.

Tech Support

- If the games crash when you go into the construction center, set the resolution to 1680x1050x32 or lower. You can also try using the OpenGL render option.
- If the game crashes when trying to make a profile, turn off Data Execution Prevention in Windows.

Still not working? Trying to mod something? Your best bet is probably opening up the .wd files in the game and playing around with those. Except the mod tools no longer work. Not to fear! TwelveBaud has fixed WDPackager to work on x64 systems. This will let you pack and unpack files from Earth 2150's proprietary .wd format. You can find it here: http://twelvebaud.net/WDPackager.zip

Earth 2140, a previous game from TopWare details an eight-year war between the United Civilized States (UCS) and the Eurasian Dynasty (ED) following a UCS invasion of the ED-controlled British Isles. In 2148, a desperate retreating ED army launched a barrage of nuclear weapons at UCS positions near the North Pole. The explosions were so intense that the orbit of the planet was destabilized and life on Earth would soon perish due to the orbital instability. I have no idea if that's actually possible but it's a really unique take on an apocalypse. The ED and UCS are now gripped in a final struggle to gather enough resources to build an evacuation fleet.

But a forgotten moon colony from the early years of the 21st century has re-appeared. Calling themselves the Lunar Corporation (LC), they have tentatively allied with the UCS and also seek to escape the planet. Only 183 days remain until Earth becomes uninhabitable. Who will escape?

There's also a ton of words in the manual about each faction's history. I tried to summarize it as best as I could and fix any continuity and translation issues I noticed.

History

Founded in 2050 by Colonel Siergie Zugij following a global thermonuclear war in 2048. The Colonel amassed power by venturing out into Mongolia after the bombs fell and combining his knowledge of secret Russian military sites with the manpower of the local Mongolian families. This culminated in a marriage to a chief's daughter and Colonel Zugij changed his name to Yaga Zi Khan. In under a decade he controlled most of the uncontaminated areas in Asia and his son christened the empire the Eurasian Dynasty.

The Khan gave the highest priority to military research and due to their control of old Soviet military bases, they possessed a large nuclear stockpile. In 2140 the ED's arch rivals, the UCS invaded the British Isles. This gave the ruling Khan, Tiao Thi Zhe Khan a reason to achieve his dream of an ED-controlled South America. The war dragged on for years, bankrupting the empire and angering the people. The Khan's cousin, Kata Mae Zhe Khan instigated a riot which destroyed the Khan's super cyborg-soldiers. Without them he was powerless to defeat the UCS and the internal unrest and was deposed and executed.

The change in government did not help in the war and in a desperate retreat in 2148 Kata Mae Zhe Khan gave the order to fire nuclear weapons at UCS positions in the North Pole, which lead to the orbital instability that dooms the planet.

Arsenal

The ED's focus on military technology has, paradoxically, made it the most backwards of the three factions. The main ED force is made up of large tanks using 21st century rockets and anti-tank weapons. There are rumors the ED has been working on some sort of heat laser but most people do not take the rumors seriously. The ED also is the only nation left that possesses a conventional nuclear stockpile. Based on the actions of the Khan in the previous war, I doubt they will hesitate to use them.

History

In the early 2000s the US suffered a stock crash and economic recession more severe than the one seen in the 1930s. :tinfoil: This lead to an increasingly bellicose foreign policy and a belief that all other nations were gunning for America and merely waiting for an opportunity to attack. A minor dispute in 2048 with Greater Russia provided the spark that would ignite the world. In the ensuing nuclear war, all European and Asian powers were completely annihilated. The US missile defense system shielded it from most of the damage but the US government collapsed in the chaos.

From the ashes came 12 former US States who believed self-interested and greedy politicians were responsible for the immense pain and suffering of the past half-century. Lead by so-called philosopher, Richard Bowman, the states acted to set up a new government which would not be subject to the whims of corruptible individuals. The government created by Bowman and his acolytes was run by an absolute minimum of bureaucrats chosen by lottery with terms lasting only a few months. This form of government became known as Stochocracy and despite some growing pains the nation was kept at peace for decades thanks to highly specialized computer systems that would advise the lottery winners on how best to proceed. These AI improvements were also spread to the home and business and by the early 2100s computers had intertwined themselves in all aspects of society. It was assumed that lottery winners merely needed to give their seal of approval to the AI's "advice."

This changed in 2134 when a computer engineer named Jonathan Swamp became Minister of Defense. Swamp had been involved in coding the government AIs and knew their full potential. Due to this, he was given full access to the military administration processor, GOLAN. He made changes to GOLAN, allowing himself to run simulations of military encounters with the ED all over the planet. But these changes resulted in a number of unforeseen glitches, culminating in GOLAN's decision to send UCS mechs to the British Isles.

GOLAN's systems were improved during the ensuing war with the ED and the citizens of the UCS praised the computer and believed it was the only thing that had saved them from utter annihilation after a series of early ED victories. Near the end of the war the ED launched a massive barrage of nuclear missiles at UCS bases in the Arctic Circle to cover their retreat from the continent. By January of 2150 it was clear to UCS scientists and scientific AI that the Earth's orbit had been permanently destabilized by this bombardment and it would be only about half a year until the planet was uninhabitable. This knowledge was incomprehensible to GOLAN and the AI's attempt to find a solution to save Gaia ended up destroying its circuitry. Fortunately the newest version of GOLAN was ready to lead its people in the attempt to make an escape fleet. GOLAN II was not only a military AI but also was given complete control over every element of the UCS government. No one would be able to tinker with the AI like Swamp had done ever again.

The UCS was contacted in late 2149 by the LC about a possible alliance. GOLAN II was still mulling over the possibilities when General Fang, a hero from the War of 2140, volunteered to be an emissary to the new faction. It remains to be seen what, if any action the AI will take with the LC and their proposed alliance.

Arsenal

The UCS army is entirely mechanized, with human commanders in place only where absolutely necessary. The UCS also has mastered the science behind anti-gravity flight and the earliest prototypes are now being tested at the Stanford Weapons Lab. The Stanford Weapons Lab also created the plasma gun late in the War of 2140. The energy weapon should allow UCS forces to carve their way through any ED formation. GOLAN II also has issued a report saying the plasma gun can be used in conjunction with the UCS orbital satellite network to fire plasma blasts anywhere on the planet.

UCS scientists have not yet made any report on their progress with this proposed counter to the ED's nuclear arsenal.

History

John Fisher was obsessed with space flight since he witnessed the space shuttle launch at the age of 5. His dreamy nature did not translate into academic achievement and in the 1990s NASA rejected his application to work as an engineer on the International Space Station. But John Fisher had some influential friends. In early 2002, John Fisher announced that with the backing of 10 anonymous donors he was founding the Lunar Corporation, a private spacefaring company. By 2014 due to budget issues related to the economic downturn in America, NASA's operations were privatized and merged with the Lunar Corporation. In 2025 on the anniversary of his denial for the ISS job, Fisher announced his plan for the construction of Orbital City I, a permanent colony in space. Fisher noted in his speech that it would be superior to the International Space Station in every possible way. Historians would agree Fisher's spite and bitterness over the NASA rejection caused him to focus on Orbital City I to the detriment of other space-related projects, but it would turn out to be a wise calculation.

When Orbital City I opened in 2034 the situation on Earth had grown quite tense. Wealthy citizens from around the globe paid exorbitant sums to acquire small apartments in Orbital City so as to escape from the turmoil on the ground. With the LC's coffers overflowing the company began its next plan: a fully functional moon colony. The Moon colony, known as Luna was up and running only a few weeks before the the thermonuclear war began on Earth. Once the missiles started flying, all residents of Orbital City I were evacuated to Luna and John Fisher was given control over the colony as its president. The Moon was not such a great place to live though. Wealthy, pampered individuals were not used to the grueling physical labor and harsh conditions and by 2052 the colony was in open revolt. Fisher was removed from power as his declining health made him incapable of fully dealing with the rebellion. The new administrator was ruthless and bloodthirsty and when the rebellion was finally pacified, the LC government had all participants shoved out of the colony without their space suits, a particularly painful death.

The response was outrage and horror. In the upheaval that followed the government was reformed and the maxim "personal worth is based on the benefit one brings to society" quickly became the slogan of the remaining colonists. The government took on a matriarchal tilt after a number of very successful women leaders, most notably the Prof. Atomi Hakura. She discovered a large number of extraterrestrial artifacts in 2061 and by 2070 she had unlocked the secret of rapid terraforming. She promised that her terraforming project would give Mars "a climate no different than on the mother planet we left behind." Even more surprising, she promised the terraforming would be complete by 2190.

By 2150, Mars had seen its temperature increase by 15°C and LC scientists believed that by 2170 there would be enough water to sustain human life with the assistance of respirators. The LC had already begun preparations for their move to Mars years ago, but surveyors indicated there were not enough resources on the moon to construct the needed evacuation fleet. After almost 100 years, the Lunar Corporation would be returning to Earth.

Arsenal

The LC has no conventional military, having fought no true wars since the Uprising of 2052. As a result they have no military commanders and no sense of tactics or strategy. However, their discoveries have made them the most technologically advanced faction vying for control of Gaia's few remaining resources. Additionally, the LC unit voices are all done by women, so presumably they're an all-female army. I always thought that was cool. Unlike ED and UCS units, the LC has developed regenerative metals, allowing their units to repair damage in the field.

Rumor has it their terraforming efforts on Mars have yielded insights into how to control the weather. However the only evidence to suggest this is a report from an ED expeditionary force. They claim a heavy snow began mere minutes before an LC assault on their position.

With that all said, let's get started and have some fun! Look, even the manual wants you to have fun! :3:

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwR1h82HiA

Whoa. Pretty exciting intro. We'll be starting with the LC as the LC have the quickest of the three campaigns, for reasons that will soon be apparent. They also have no navy and a minimal number of unit chassis, making unit construction simpler than the UCS or ED.

We begin with General Fang (as played by me) sending an outline of a proposed alliance to the Defense Manager of the LC, Sombra Shattan. The UCS has provided General Fang's personal anti-gravity vehicle and the General himself as a sign of good faith. The General also insists if the LC agree to the alliance he will lead the troops from the front :black101: General Fang looks pretty awesome so far.

Defense Manager Shattan agrees to the alliance with the UCS! He also is now a Soul Partner (whatever that is), however she cautions that she has little knowledge of battle. It's a good start though. GOLAN II (and the UCS President) have seen a bold move early in the war payoff quite handsomely. I'm sure General Fang will have a fearsome force at his disposal now with the might of the LC warmachine behind him.

:effort: Oh. The LC army consists of nothing more than 5 Lunar-class scout vehicles. Fang's anti-gravity tank could crush these scouts before they could even say boo. The LC will need to make some serious technological advances if they have even a prayer of defeating the ED and escaping from Gaia. For now we'll need Fang to help support our nascent army. Fang is extremely strong in the early game though. We'll be okay.

A new message from High Mentor Alia Tiolan! Wow, the LC must really trust General Fang to put him in charge of resource procurement. Let's see how much the LC needs.

:stare: 500,000 CR? But, we only have 5,250 in our HQ right now... This might be tougher than we thought. (Author Note: the UCS and ED require 1,000,000 CR so the LC gets off easy here).

And with that the countdown to the destruction of Gaia begins. You have 183 in-game days to build your spaceship. It sounds like time is tight, but if you fight efficiently you'll be able to make it off the planet with plenty of time to spare. Now, at this point you can jump into missions by clicking on the globe to the right of the screen. Before we do that though, let's take a look at our HQ. We'll be coming back here after every mission, so it's a good idea to familiarize ourselves with its layout and features.

LC Headquarters

Spaceport - This is the most important structure in the game. If you are dumb enough to click on auto-destruct you will lose the campaign. You must defend the Spaceport at all costs! Losing it will doom the LC. If the need arises you can pull 5,000 CR out of the Spaceport. But that is 5,000 CR less you have to construct your ship. You can also put in 5,000 CR at a time. Once the spaceport has 10,000 CR a supply ship will come down to send the credits up to the orbital docks, permanently removing the money from the game and also advancing the escape ship production.

Main Base - The LC constructs all units from the Main Base. It's more expensive than the UCS and ED factories but can mount more weapons and as a result can usually defend itself.

Solar Battery - The LC uses solar power being the peace loving hippies they are :v:. The solar battery is needed to keep LC bases running when the sun isn't out. As you can see here, this battery is 100% charged. It will begin losing charge at night when the Solar Power Plant shuts down.

Solar Power Plant - Like I said, the LC uses solar power. Unlike the other 2 factions, the LC power grid spans the entire map. However, Solar Power Plants are very expensive as you need to build all 10 solar panels next to the plant to ensure maximum output.

Mine - This mines for minerals (those white shiny dots on the ground). As you can see in the screenshot, I've turned this mine off to demonstrate the power function on buildings. Any building in the game can be turned on or off. If the enemy knocks out some of your power grid, turning off non-essential buildings may be the only thing that saves you from defeat. LC mining is yet another thing that's different from ED/UCS mining. The LC merely needs to drop a mine on top of a resource patch to begin extraction while the ED and UCS require units to either mine the minerals themselves or carry raw materials to a refinery.

Research Center - Our last pre-built structure. All LC research originates here at the Research Center. You may build an additional 2 Research Centers to speed up research, something we may invest in later on in the game when we are at a severe tech disadvantage. While we're here, let's take a look at the Research screen.

Research

Here you can see the research screen. The only things we can research right now are two updates to the Lunar-class scout we encountered earlier. Only ammo upgrades will apply to units in the field, so since we don't have much of an army there's no downside to spending some money now for the chassis upgrade. This is one disadvantage the LC has over the other 2 factions. The ED and UCS can upgrade weapons and chassis designs on units. This allows them to, in theory, carry one unit from the start of the game to the finish. We probably won't see any LC units do that.

Construction Center

Here it is. The main thing that makes Earth 2150 so drat cool. This is the Construction Center. When you begin the game, you have no units to build that can shoot people. Let's change that by designing our own unit. I picked the Moon m1 because the Lunar m1 will be obsolete once we finish researching that chassis upgrade. The Moon m1 is a pretty good general unit for the LC. We'll probably be building a lot of these.

This is the customization part of the Construction Center. Up top you can see the equipment that is mountable on your selected chassis. The 20 mm chaingun isn't that great, but the rocket launcher isn't half bad. The banner is a fairly confusing mess. Allegedly it raises unit experience level which should improve destructive power, sight line, firing range, speed, resistance and reload time, however I've noticed none of these things when I've played. It could be that the effects are very tiny. In light of their general uselessness, I won't be using banners all that often. In the dropdown menu below the unit name you see we can give the unit different scripts. The only major change is regular/simple/advanced and the script allows more complicated or simplistic commands to be given. For now we'll stick with the default script.

Also, do you see the name field there? If you all would like we can give each new unit type a unique name instead of the generic "chassis type, revision, weapon" names. Please give me faction-relevant suggestions and I'll try and incorporate them into our army. I am not naming our entire army "Dongs mk 2 jizzflinger" or anything like that.

There we can see the Moon mk1 R I added to the Construction Center. I also added a Phobos-class detector to our civilian unit list. These will be good for finding any cloaked enemies. The Mercury-class resupply vehicle is usually a better choice for reconnaissance due to its price, build time and speed.

Speaking of the Mercury, let's build one. Except right now we don't have a Supply Center for it to dock with. The LC really isn't good at this whole war thing. Right now if we were attacked our Lunar m1s would have no way to reload once they depleted their rockets. Let's fix that by calling in an Aerial Supply Center.

The last major difference between the LC and other two factions is how construction proceeds. The ED and UCS use construction vehicles while the LC just drops their structures in from space. The structures are vulnerable while being air-lifted in and if they take even a few rocket or other anti-air hits the space cranes you see here will be forced to drop the structure and run, leaving you out 100% of the resources invested in the building. I'm not kidding, even a very weak rocket or two will blow these things up, they have the lowest HP in the game at 50 and no armor.

With that we have our Aerial Supply Center. The Supply Center requires an attached Mercury-class resupply vehicle so I've attached it here. You can select a re-supply speed (slow/average/fast). Since we only have one supplier we'll stick with fast. Slow gives you a single Mercury for each military vehicle, which is insane and is almost never useful. Average has one supplier for a few vehicles and Fast is a single Mercury for every tank on the field. Air units will fly back to the Supply Center to re-supply, so you don't need to worry about them. Also we don't have any air units right now. Once again, the LC is not good at this "war" thing.

Like I said earlier, we can put weapons on some of our buildings. I throw a rocket launcher on the Supply Center in case the ED try something. You can never be too careful. :ninja:

Here you can see another neat thing Earth 2150 does: vehicle lights. All vehicles come with lights that you can either turn to auto, on or off. We'll stick with auto for now but it might be useful to keep changing the lights in mind if we end up in a bad storm or need to make a sneak approach. We're almost done here at the LC Headquarters, we're just missing one structure.

And that structure is the Headquarters. The HQ building allows you to automate research, building defense upgrades, general defense (fairly useless) and unit design. I'll probably stick this guy on general defense or building upgrades since I'd like to have more control over unit design and research.

So with all that done, how do we get to the battlefield?

Why with the Jupiter Transport of course. The Jupiter is a weird mix of unit and building in that it's tied to the Landing Zone and can move from battlefield to main base. But it has no offensive capabilities and just has a lot of HP. If it somehow gets destroyed the LC will get annoyed and send General Fang another one. The transport is mainly used for shuttling units between the main base and battlefield like so.

General Fang's anti-gravity ship is now inside the Jupiter, ready to head to whatever battlefield we decide to go to. The Jupiter transport can also hold 5,000 CR in case you need an emergency infusion of cash on the front lines.

Our research is complete, so it's time to head out and select a mission.

Sneaking in behind ED lines to mine some minerals? Sounds risky! We all know General Fang likes to be bold, so we'll start off with that one!

Earth 2150 has some kick-rear end music. Each mission I'll upload a track until we run out of tracks for each faction. For now here is the LC main theme and the LC ambient theme. See you next time with our first field mission!

Bonus Recruitment Video - Are You From the Moon? :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpkAK72pk

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 6, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPR-mJ_IBwk

LC News reports what we all know. Gaia is dying and there's no hope unless we get our evacuation ship built. We'll be seeing more updates from LC News as we play along in the game. They even do weather reports!

We start out with a landing zone and a single Lunar m1 20mm. Uh, shouldn't the LC be giving us more stuff if we're going behind enemy lines? I know, I know, they're getting their military up and running but this seems like a suicide mission. Let's bring in some of our units from HQ to help out.

We get our mission briefing from High Mentor Tiolan: get in, get out and for the love of Gaia don't get caught. We'll do our best High Mentor.

That Lunar m3 upgrade is well within our budget, so while we wait for the Jupiter to show up, let's research it.

With the arrival of General Fang and the "honor guard" the scouting can being. The Lunar m1 20mm will take the Northeast and Fang and his group will search the Southwest. While searching they come upon city ruins. Probably destroyed in one of the many UCS-ED battles. Such a waste of life :smith:

Oh bloody hell. The ED have spotted us. Defense Manager Shattan warns us and informs General Fang that the LC war machine is in no way ready to help us. We're on our own out here, and now that ED have found our scout it's only a matter of time until they find General Fang and his units. Without resources and a base they're doomed against the heart of the ED military.

Our poor little Lunar m1 20mm :(. She fought so hard against overwhelming odds. She's the first Sister of the Lunar Corporation to die at the hands of the Eurasian Dynasty, and I doubt she'll be the last. We'll always remember you! :patriot:

While Dynasty forces swarm the Northwest searching for the rest of the LC squad, Fang is able to lead his team to the mineral deposits. They're in a well defensible area, with high cliffs to the Southeast, an impenetrable mountain range to the immediate West and a high slope on the North side with a choke point. General Fang thinks they can defend this spot, but only if the ED waste their time searching in the Northeast.

High Mentor Tiolan is relieved that we've found the mineral region safely. Sadly, I don't think she knows yet that we've already lost one soldier. Defense Manager Shattan must be dreading breaking that news to her :(

General Fang wastes no time in setting up his base. The Solar Power Plant should be well defended against the mountain range and the central placement of the Main Base will allow it to defend all areas of the base if needed.

The ore Transport Refinery is the LC building that sends resources to the Spaceport. It will move things over in chunks of 2,000 CR. Since we need 20,000 CR we'll need the transport to make 10 trips.

Our upgrades to the Lunar chassis are complete. Let's hope we don't need them.

General Fang orders his force moved up to defend the choke point at the base of the hill. He also orders the mine turned off to save resources for the spaceport. With just under 30,000 CR they can't afford to mine much for defense.

General Fang's my orders turn out to be a terrible mistake. The ED scouting party has sneaked in through the pass to the Southwest. With no defenses operational, the tender Mine and Transport Refineries are vulnerable. The ED units are tough and with the Lunar scouts dropping like flies there may not be enough time to save the mines and the mission.

General Fang uses the few remaining resources at his disposal to outfit the Main Base with weapons. It works, but the price paid is dear indeed. Of the original 5 Lunars and General Fang only Fang and one Lunar are in combat shape. The Lunars are out of ammunition and without reinforcements the inevitable Dynasty assault will wipe them off the map.

Fang allows the mine to power up for a few hours to mine the resources needed to make a few Moon m1 Rs. It won't be enough, but hopefully it can help stall until the LC can send reinforcements.

Here we see the LC's regenerative alloys at work. In only 10 minutes one of the badly damaged Lunars has regained 10 hit points.

Waiting out the ED in the mining base won't work. The LC is outgunned, outmanned and outclassed in every way. The only possible chance they have is by taking the fight to the Dynasty. General Fang sets out to try and find the ED base and do whatever he can to stall them from making a push on their mining operations. On the way he encounters another scout group headed for the LC camp.

Fang has stumbled upon a lightly defended ED mining operation. I quickly wipe away the few towers guarding the bridge and attack the ED power supply head on. The Dynasty's power grid was always their weak point. Without the power plant the mine and refinery will have to shut down and the time it will take to get them back online may be just enough time for the LC to finish mining for resources and get out.

But it was not to be.

The LC cannot hope to defend against 2 ED battle tanks and a Taiga chaingunner so Fang rushes back to defend the base.

At this point I actually am seriously worried I'm going to lose this mission. It rarely takes me so long to find the resources and I've never had the ED scouts discover me until I've at least gotten half of the 20,000 CR I need. Also my attempts to give this game a more coherent narrative and give a better idea of how it plays have kept me from doing things like building 30 Moon M1 Rs before things even start and cheesing the mission.

Damage to the base is extensive. The ED tanks have managed to destroy one solar cell and all of the LC units in the area. The Main Base is starting to run low on ammo and so Fang decides to build more Moon m1 Rs. 3 won't be enough. Hell, 30 may not be enough at this rate. The Ore Transport Refinery has only sent 20% of the resources they need. A desperate Fang begs Defense Manager Shattan for authorization to use the HQ to build units or abort the mission. There is no way he can hold off another ED assault on his own.

Shattan is a pretty smart lady though. She okays Fang's request and also informs him that from here on he's to have total control over the LC HQ's resource allocation, within reason. (So no pre-building a massive army when there's no indication from the mission briefing you'll be up against a large army or researching every tech). I rejoice that my constraints on this mission have been lifted and start work on 5 Moon m1 Rs, a new landing zone closer to the base, and an upgrade for the bullets in our 20 mm chainguns.

Of course I have no units that use chainguns, so I add a Lunar m3 20mm to our unit list and deploy one to the Western part of the river surrounding the ED base to see if there's a crossing our anti-gravity units can use. I don't think the Dynasty knows all LC units hover yet. Their ignorance shall be their downfall.

At the halfway point in the mission we've finally finished building the reinforcements at the Main Base so I ship 'em over.

Another ED attack wave approaches our base, this time from the North. Unfortunately our reinforcements won't arrive in time so we'll need to hold out for a few minutes. This Lunar m3 20mm is very brave, charging off into certain death like that. Good one kid :patriot:

General Fang gets an idea. With the Moon m1 Rs on the way, he can afford to slip out of the base and go on the offensive again. It looks like there's only one bridge connecting the ED base to the area the LC is operating in. If Fang can blow the bridge it will take weeks to repair and in the meantime the LC will be safe from any attack. It's a risky move, but we all know that General Fang likes to live on the edge.

:gonk: Oh god this is not what I had in mind when I came up with this idea! Fang is pretty strong but 9 tanks versus 1 Fang is getting a bit close to what I think is okay. Keep in mind, if Fang dies, you die since you are Fang.

So I get the hell out of there.

General Fang is unable to attack the pursuing units. It's do or die time for the new LC recruits. If they can't hold this off that's not only it for the mining operation, but also spells the death of General Fang not even a week into his leadership of the LC military.

But the women of the LC perform admirably, killing every last Dynasty tank to a man and not taking a single casualty. I'm proud of you girls!

With spirits boosted by their recent success, Fang convinces everyone that he can blow up the bridge this time. He works on that while the Moons blow up another badly arranged scouting party.

Halfway there...

Success! To add insult to injury, there was a tank sitting on the bridge that fell into the river when the supports gave out. And Fang is able to blow up another tank before it goes careening off the edge. With the bridge destroyed this mission goes from "almost losing" to practically over. Bridges are really important to destroy in most cases when you're the LC. You need to rely on smart tactics like that to ensure your inferior military doesn't get overrun.

With the bridge out, Fang can sneak into the back of the base and harass the ED units and power plants there without worry of a reprisal on the LC base. He'll keep running in and out of there for the rest of the mission trying to destroy anything he can.

But before he can the last transport arrives and High Mentor Tiolan orders Fang to retreat. Once again, bad communication LC Celestial Counsel! With the bridge out Fang can take his time withdrawing from the Urals and ensure he sends every last credit to the spaceport. There's still almost 5,000 CR left.

He also uses some of the excess funds at HQ to research more bullet upgrades.

With all units safely returned home and all resources exploited, it's time to end this mission (by clicking on the globe).

:stare: Look at that unit disparity. I wasn't joking when I said the ED will roll over you with their superior numbers if you let them. They also managed to research 7 techs to my 3. This could be problematic.

General Fang has received a summons by a Sheela Merlan to report to ACME Laboratory to allow LC scientists to analyze his anti-gravity tank. After a tense battle like the Urals it'll be nice to have an easy relaxing mission.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with this.

Right?

This update I'm featuring one of the best tracks in the game. And so early on too! This is one of the three songs that plays during daytime when you're the LC. Enjoy!

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 6, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dr. Snark posted:

It's really nice to see someone tackling the games. They're seriously underrated, espcially the way units can be customized.

It'll be interesting to see how your self-imposed limitations change the campaign. I'm used to researching EVERYTHING before I end a mission, so this will be very interesting.

Fun fact about the game: your cpu-controlled opponent has the entire tech tree open at the start of the game and research will carry over from mission to mission. That means if you do absolutely nothing on the first mission and the cpu has infinite credits they can research every tech in the game from the start. My worrying over the ED getting 7 techs to my 3 at the end of the update is completely legitimate.

I'm hoping I don't get completely outclassed in the midgame. But if I do the gameplay will be more exciting so it might be a blessing in disguise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ilanin posted:

This is nonsense. Total Annihilation and Dark Reign were both 3D games and released in 1997; Homeworld likewise and it appeared in 1999. Myth:TFL and Myth II, with their destructible terrain features, also both came out pre-2000. Outpost II and Enemy Nations had customisable units and were released in 1997-8; and of course outside of real-time games the original Master of Orion introduced the concept back in 1993. The day/night cycle, I think the Earth series might have been the first time it appeared outside seriously simulationist wargames like the Battleground series (though those were much more mainstream back then). Tiberian Sun was largely regarded as dull, derivative and behind its time because Westwood made very few attempts to incorporate any of these new features. Earth 2150 definitely beats Tiberian Sun quite easily. Unfortunately...

I'll give you another reason, or at least the reason I didn't play it. Earth 2150 was released May 22, 2000. So, great, I'm looking to buy a new strategy game, and I'm walking into a games shop in summer 2000. What are my choices? Well, there's Earth 2150 - but there's also Shogun: Total War (June 13, 2000) and Ground Control (June 1, 2000), two genuine classics which rather trumped its appeal.

I remember playing the demo and thinking the plot was interesting but the game lacked tactical interest, so having someone else to play it for me seems like a good deal. I'll be watching.

Wow I just got owned on video game history. I'll update my OP to reflect this.

edit: OP updated. Thanks for your corrections!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Do you plan to use the OperationX Mods for lost souls or moon project? While kinda cheaty because they didn't get balanced as much they add quite alot to the game as a whole and would be perfect for a Lost Souls run because that game is more of a mission pack if anything else.

I'll be playing the vanilla games but these mods sound interesting. I checked out the website and it looks like they add a ton of content.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 21, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Game mechanics spoilers

There may be something coming up to show off how overpowered that particular mechanic is. Or there might not be. Don't wanna give away too much :wink:

That said, I think I've promised this thread close to 100 updates between all three games. We're gonna be here for a while. The series gets stronger as it goes on in my opinion and I enjoy playing each subsequent game more than the one that preceded it. The darker tone of Lost Souls I think fits in better than Earth 2150's weird mix of serious and "I'm gonna learn 22nd century military tactics from Lord of the Rings :downs:" silly. Plus The Moon Project adds a lot of great units the first game really should have had like dedicated anti-air weapons.

The game does play really fast and loose with its canon. In the manual the founder of the Eurasian Dynasty is referred to as a Colonel and General several times. Oh and then later manuals contradict what was put in the first one. I'm doing my best to make it all sensible but apologize in advance if something inconsistent slips through. If you're willing to forgive a few continuity errors and a pretty crappy translation the background in the manuals is top-notch though.

And yes, the enemy will absolutely roll all over you if you let them. I'm playing through on average difficulty and as you all saw last update, I'm already being challenged on the first real mission.

I'm going to try and get an update out this evening since I'll be heading home for Christmas in a few days and I'd like the thread to have more than 2 updates before I leave for a week.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 21, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, the minerals are mined through two different mining buildings, one which just sends the minerals straight to you (the Mine for LC, Refinery for the UCS and two buildings for the ED since they are less advanced but can be fixed so it can give you money really fast) and the other one automatically sends in a flyer to drop off them at the Spaceport when it's full (the Ore Transport Refinery for LC, Transport Base for ED and Ore Transport Base for the UCS).

You use the money you keep instead of sending to space as building/research money and try to balance the spending/sending quota since as you might notice, the world is going under and you need to leg it to the closest hospitable world.

Also, the reason the LC only need 500k is because they mined the poo poo out of the moon! :v:

vv No, i think they even say it in-game or in the manual that the LC mined the moon, although this might be a spoiler?

Nope, not a spoiler. The manual basically says they mined the poo poo out of the Moon so they only need half as much as the ED and UCS. The manual also implies the LC had been preparing for a move to Mars anyway with all the terraforming they were doing to the planet. That's probably another reason things are cheaper for them: they've already built a lot of what they'll need.

The resource allocation works pretty much as you said. Except you also can do mining at your HQ. This is how I got the resources to research upgrades and build those Moon m1 R's that saved my rear end in the last mission. One interesting way to cheese the game is to mine out the HQ and then send over the credits with the transport vehicle. After you do that, you give them all to your Ore Transport Refinery and you still get credit for mining out the minerals from the level you're on.

For extra fun you can take those minerals out of the Spaceport and send them back to the mission area. While this will let you beat all the "send x amount of resources to Spaceport" missions you'll ultimately fail the campaign if you keep taking resources out of the Spaceport. In fact, I'm fairly certain that if you only send resources on the missions where you have to send resources you actually won't send enough to the base. You need to be doing some extra mining on the side to get over the top. And if you run out of missions and you still don't have enough credits you'll lose. I always thought "you beat all the missions but didn't manage your economy properly so you lose" was a pretty clever way to prevent this kind of mission cheesing.

I have the Prima Strategy Guide at my parent's house so I'll have to check the totals from there and see if you actually have to do bonus mining or not over Christmas.

edit: I just checked and if you only complete the gather resource missions you'll be 160,000 CR short. That's pretty drat short of the 500k you need.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 22, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

We've been contacted by Sheela Merlan, the LC's chief researcher here on Earth, about research on the anti-gravity tank General Fang brought with him to the LC. So let's head over there and test it out.

While we're over at ACME Labs we're going to research that bullet upgrade we missed last mission. This should let us level the playing field a bit next time we run into ED units.

Gen. Fang arrives and moves his tank into the research base so they can compare it with the Moon m1 that Progress Manager Merlan thinks is so superior to Fang's tank. Of course she's wrong because Fang's tank is awesome and nothing beats it (except swarms of Eurasian Dynasty units).

Wait a second is that...is that the Weather Control Center the Eurasian Dynasty rumors were talking about? It's not a hoax. Holy poo poo. We have to get that on the battlefield! Sheela better talk to Sombra and tell her we need that thing now! We have weather to control and battles to win! :science:

Of course we smoke that Moon m1 in the race. Nobody's faster than Fang :smug:

:stare: Well that last bit wasn't weird or creepy at all Sheela! I'm sure you've got plenty of Moon-men back on Luna.

General Fang's tank can stand up to these puny 20mm guns even if there are uh 12 of them firing on him at once.

:gonk: Okay now Sheela is starting to sound a little...excited. And High Counselor Korlan is intervening and sending her to a Harmony Center. What the hell is a Harmony Center? It sounds rather Orwellian. Anyway, let's go blow up some UCS mehcs.

Yeah! Look at it explode! It may just be some drones that don't fight back but blowing up stuff is always a good time.

:frogsiren: Oh my god she's definitely hitting on us. And being hauled away to the crazy bin. But the LC are going to work on building a tank just like Fang's so at least this isn't a total waste. Now let's leave this place and never speak of it or it's creepy chief researcher again.

Except that Weather Control Center would be rather nice...Maybe we can ask High Counselor Korlan to go easy on Sheela. Controlling the weather is worth getting creepily hit on by a Moon-lady right? Right? :smith:

High Counselor Korlan has signed the documents making the alliance between the UCS and LC official. She just needs us to deliver them to a UCS base in the Arctic for the alliance to come into effect. Sadly it looks like the Eurasian Dynasty may have set up shop in the area. We'll need to be careful on this next mission.

Since this update was all at night, here's the first night theme for the LC. Sounds kind of creepy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Go gently caress yourself, man. Like there wasn't a huge amount of crap pumped out in the US or Japan, not to mention other countries not known for game industry. Everything is mostly crap on the internet. And even if that list is horribly incomplete, there are quite a few good games on it. The Witcher just had better marketing and brand (it was a guaranteed success, the Witcher books were huge in Poland back then). And since I never heard of Earth 2150 back then, its marketing must've been really lovely. Let's hope it was because all the money went into developing the game ;)

And what's that Call of Juarez you speak of? :haw:

Also, please tell me that huge number of screenshots isn't just 2 updates, I barely started reading and I'm already getting glossy-eyed :ohdear:

I think you bring up a good point about games developed in countries that aren't the US/Japan. Being from the US, I typically don't hear about games unless they're made either here in the States or over in Japan. You're probably right that there are lots of good Polish games out there aren't on that list on Wikipedia because well, Wikipedia is not the be all and end all of human knowledge. My point wasn't so much, "Hey guys Poland sucks but this one thing to come out of it was good!" Rather it was, "At the time of release (and even today) Poland was not an area we saw lots of games come out of so it didn't have much of a chance to compete against more well-known franchises here in the States." Reading over what I posted I realize it came off a bit dismissive/assholish towards Poland so I've amended my statement to more clearly express my point.

As for the huge number of screenshots, right now we have 3 updates plus the OP. Most updates are not going to be nearly as long as the first two since I needed to explain a bunch of mechanics there.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 22, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin posted:

WC3 definitely had a day/night cycle that influenced sight radius and interacted with certain game mechanics - Night Elves had certain powers that only worked at night, for example.

I never played WC3 so I didn't know that. I'll edit the OP based on this new info. Thanks for the correction.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about this game. A much younger me was quite engrossed by its complexity and I wasted many hours at it. And I truly mean wasted because I was never any good. I tried to play through the campaigns several times, but always ended up abandoning for some reason or another.

I tried the demo of 2160 years ago, but don't have much memory of it. It's currently on sale on steam for $2.49. Is it worth the price?

Eh. As said by others 2160 is merely an okay RTS. It's not nearly as good as Earth 2150 but it's also not terrible. I got it right when it came out and I was really disappointed and ended up quitting and uninstalling halfway through the Eurasian Dynasty campaign. For $2.50 it's not that bad a deal but GOG has The 2150 Trilogy on sale for $3. That's probably a better use of your money unless you really wanna try out 2160.

GOG also has 2140 for $3 and 2160 for the same price. Of course 2160 is also on Steam.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I was waiting till we got to a second page to post this since I didn't want the first page to have 4 different updates, plus the OP on it. Now that we're on a new page, let's deliver those documents to the UCS!

rest of the message from Korlan to Igor Burkov posted:

I hope to hear some good news from you soon.

All the best,
Korlan

Well that's interesting. Seems like the LC was also courting the Eurasian Dynasty for an alliance before things got finalized with the UCS. In an alternate universe we could be playing as Igor Burkov for this campaign instead of General Fang. The letter indicates that you'll be controlling Burkov but that's not the case here. You're still Fang.

General Fang lands and attempts to find a path to the UCS base, documents in tow. This is UCS territory so things should be clear, despite High Counselor Korlan's warning.

Well that looks like an Eurasian Dynasty mining operation if I've ever seen one. Great intel again from the Lunar Corporation. How'd they sneak behind the UCS front lines? Well since it's on the way let's try to disrupt it as much as we can. I'm sure our new allies will appreciate our help in clearing the Dynasty out of UCS territory.

One power plant, a bunch of Pamir tanks and one Gruz construction unit later it seems Fang is doing a good job at blowing things up in this little mining base. This will definitely help relations with the UCS. I doubt they even know that this is going on in their own territory!

Oh. Oh poo poo. :aaa: That's a lot of tanks. Guess the ED has a manufacturing base here too. As good as Fang is I don't think he can fight off 9 tanks and whatever defensive units the Gruz builds at once. Time to run and find a way around this mining base.

Fang runs right into some Siberians. Siberians are like the Taiga 20mm we've seen already but actually have armor and will actually be used by anyone not cheap or desperate in a fight.

Even with armor though they can't stand up to the anti-grav tank's laser gun. Unfortunately the path ends there so Fang will need to loop back past the landing zone and see if he can make it around on the West side.

Why is the landing zone gone? Did the Dynasty tanks find it? Why didn't they attack the Jupiter?

Interesting tidbit, if your LZ gets blown up and you have the Jupiter already at the mission you can still load/unload and transfer credits. However if you send the transport back to HQ you'll not be able to send it back in the field. Also if you have no active units or structures on the field you'll lose the mission. The Jupiter does not count as a unit or structure. This also means that enemies won't ever target it (although it can be destroyed, the AI just won't ever attack it).

Right now Fang is our only current active unit so we'll have to either sacrifice one of the Moon m1 Rs in our Jupiter or re-build the LZ to complete the mission. The mission will fail if you put Fang in the Jupiter without some other unit on the ground to keep an active presence. But, since the game doesn't hate you yet, they give you 500 CR if your LZ gets blown up so you can build another one.

Don't expect this kindness in the future.

General Fang punches another hole in a Dynasty wall and finds a few Pamir tanks on the other side. Easy pickings at this point.

Even though it doesn't look like it, Fang one-shots this tank. If you've been using Fang for the first two missions he should have leveled up enough to do this by now. The leveling mechanic in this game is really neat and makes keeping your veterans alive a priority. Too bad LC units are made out of paper mache at this point.

Whoa. Looks like the ED have beefed up defenses at that mining base. Running through that again would be pretty dicey. Let's hope there's a path up ahead.

Oh. There's the manufacturing base. :geno: Yeah. We probably can't go through that base either. Good thing the ED don't understand geometry and built their walls away from the cliffs. They've left a nice little path up through the top!

:smug: Bet you feel dumb, don't you Dynasty?

Oh poo poo. There are all those tanks from earlier. Time to run (but toward the UCS base this time)

Damned Dynasty! They've blocked the path ahead with Small Towers. Small Tower's don't require a power supply but they can only mount light weapons (chainguns, rocket launchers and some weapons we haven't seen yet). Fortunately Fang's doing a lot of damage now and can clear a path before the Pamirs catch up.

What, what is this? If I didn't know better I'd say that was a tunnel.

:aaaaa: It is a tunnel!

So tunnels. The ED and UCS can build tunnel networks under the level. The LC can't because well, they have to have some sort of weakness. Tunnels are auto-built under any non-defensive structure you build. You can also use the Gruz or Mammoth constructor to dig tunnels for you. In most missions, digging tunnels is a bad idea. You can run into impassable hard rock and even with multiple constructors going at once it takes a long time. Plus you need to build your own tunnel exit and if that pops up in the middle of the enemy base you can be sure they'll blow it up and immediately flood the tunnels with their units.

Of course if you build it behind the enemy base the results can be fantastic. Nothing beats popping up behind the enemy's lines and blowing up all his vulnerable structures with a quick tunnel strike. Sadly, we won't see much tunnel usage till the UCS and ED campaigns. I wish the developers had sped up tunnel digging though. I know if it didn't take so drat long I'd use it a lot more. If you want to do sneak attacks it's usually a better idea to use your air forces.

Still the idea of sneaking your whole army in the back of someone's base is really appealing. I promise I'll try and do it on the of the ED or UCS missions.

Anyway, Fang pops up in the UCS base, safe and sound. I'm really glad the UCS built that tunnel there since Fang's health was getting really low.

With the documents delivered High Counselor Korlan writes one final letter to Igor Burkov. It's a shame the LC couldn't have had a peaceful resolution with both factions. I'm sure with the technical knowledge of the LC, the manpower of the ED and the mechanization and AI of the UCS the three of them could find a way for everyone to get off the planet in time. Instead they're busy killing each other as the clock counts down to Earth's destruction. :smith:

Wow. The UCS sure built a lot of units. Once the documents are signed they start marching out of the base, presumably to blow up the ED. Not like having an army would've helped out at all during this mission while I got my rear end blown off. Thanks a lot guys. Some allies you are. :mad:

This is why it's a really good idea to take the tunnel. Those walls would've slowed down Fang enough for the Heavy Towers to pick him off. Heavy Towers are just like Small Towers except they need power to operate and can mount heavy weapons.

gently caress. The ED blew up the tunnel entrance. I guess all those Pamir tanks shot it to pieces right after we got in. How the hell are we supposed to get back to the Jupiter now?

Oh right, the UCS has a literal army up there. I let them go to town on the ED in the area and dart out during all the fighting.

General Fang always takes time to blow up small towers. Some tanks have peeled off from the ED outposts and are chasing Fang.

That is a lot of tanks in pursuit. I count 10, with more undoubtedly in the manufacturing base.

Fang is too quick for them though and is able to make it out while the UCS starts destroying the ED bases.

Our Moon m1 Rs are unloaded in case any Dynasty units show up. With Fang as banged up as he is I'm not sure how long he'd last against so many units. The Moon units should give him enough cover so he can heal while I rebuild the LZ so I don't lose the mission after I put Fang in the Jupiter.

The Moons end up being unnecessary as the only unit who comes by is that single Pamir. Given how much damage Fang took during this battle, I've decided to give him the Advanced Battle command list. Here you'll see a lot more options for units covering things like fire command, targeting and when to retreat. I load Fang up into the Jupiter and head for HQ.

Oof. The ED got another 3 techs this mission. I'm sure we did pretty good on the units destroyed scale, right?

:owned: Fang killed 22 guys this mission and the ED was only able to destroy one measly UCS mech. Our General is clearly superior to this Maj. Wlad fellow.

I thought the game giving your opponents names for the score screen was a cool touch. Gives me someone to shake my fist at when things don't go my way.

rest of the message from Sombra Shattan posted:

We have managed to wiggle another base from the ED's grip. Unfortunately they spotted us. Help the sisters defend their positions until you can scrape up another 20,000 CR.

The Himalayas!? That sounds like the worst place to attack in the world. As long as we have some good defenses this mission should be a walk in the park, even if the ED know we're there. Assaulting the highest mountains in the world sounds like a suicide mission.

It's the Day 2 music for the Lunar Corporation this update. Sounds like music for a sneaking mission to me. Very tense stuff here.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 23, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey everyone,

I'm heading off to visit my parents for Christmas. There probably won't be any updates till later this week at the earliest. But when I come back I should have the Prima guides so we'll hopefully see some extra content, although I wanna talk with slowbeef and make sure showing off stuff in the guide is okay.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Defense Manager Shattan says the LC mining operation in the Himalayas is in danger. Let's check out how bad it is. If they're bringing in General Fang things probably aren't so hot.

Only Fang can pull off "resource larceny" Somba, you know that. :v: Well let's try and keep things from spiraling out of control here.

The LC have finished preliminary work on a defensive structure in line with what they've seen from the Eurasian Dynasty and United Civilized States. But give the Lunar Corporation credit for improving on things, the Defender defensive tower has two guns instead of the measly one on its ED and UCS counterparts. A defensive structure is going to help out, so I'll begin by finishing up the research on it.

Yikes, we're starting to get pretty close to the units cap. We'll see if we can hold the base with our carryover units and some creative defense with laser walls. I'd like to save the little bit we have left under the cap for some newer units.

Our creative defense has been thwarted! A single Gruz construction unit is going to make it into our base before the laser walls guarding the Northwest approach is complete. Fortunately it's just one Gruz and even these puny Lunar m1 20mm units are able to destroy it before it can build anything.

The wall is up but Pamir tanks are a bit more of a problem since they can, ya know, shoot at you. They're able to blast a hole in the laser wall as well as blow up a few Lunar m1s. Not the end of the world but so far this mission isn't off to a great start. I really need those Defenders for my defensive strategy to work here.

We've got 9750 credits we can mine out of the ground on top of the 20,000 we need for our mission objectives. This is why I'm trying to keep my budget tight on this mission. When resources are scarce like this, bottling yourself up while using cheap defensive structures and carryover units is going to be the best strategy to preserve your precious cash.

:stare: This lady deserves some sort of "improbable survival" medal. One more shot from the Pamirs and she would've been blown to bits. I'm glad she made it though :unsmith: With our Moon m1 Rs and General Fang unloaded, our defenses are nearly set.

This is what makes the LC's laser walls worth it. You can turn the wall on and off at will, allowing your units to get out to face the enemy while denying them the chance to run to your base and cause havoc.

We've finished exploiting the mineral field at our main base. From now on we're going to need to fund research and excess unit construction with funds from missions. Fortunately we're sitting on a nice 40,000 CR nest egg. That should be enough to get us a few techs this mission. Since we're close to the unit limit I'll be throwing more money at research than unit construction (for reasons that will be apparent in a few minutes). I set the mine to auto-destruct and use the extra money to build two more Research Centers. 2,000 CR isn't a lot for quicker research and getting that weapons upgrade a few minutes faster can be the difference in tough missions.

Hah! The Gruz can't get around the laser wall. As you can see, this is not the first time the ED has tried to send a Gruz around my barrier. General Fang loves shooting fish constructor units in a barrel. Silly AI :smug:

Or not so silly AI. The base has an exposed back entrance near the Main Base. The ED sneak in some Pamir and Taiga units. Fang is able to drive them off, but I guess now would be a good time to add some weapons to the Main Base. Once that's done I doubt the Dynasty will be able to get past it.

The research is complete and we have our first defensive structure! But with these two buildings situated behind the laser wall we'll need to give them more range so they can hit anything attacking the wall.

Double rocket launchers will do nicely.

Since we've focused pretty heavily on rockets so far I work on grabbing the first ammunition upgrade for the rocket launcher. Unlike other ammunition upgrades which only increase damage, rockets also acquire warhead guidance. The higher the guidance level, the more likely the rocket is to track a unit. At 100% guidance hits are guaranteed unless the unit flees or there's an obstruction in the way.

I built another wall in front of the front-line Defender building. Now the ED units have to bust through two walls to get into the base. Between the two walls and the three Defenders the Northwest approach is pretty secure. The Main Base on the Northeast approach should hold off anyone there as well. The only other entrance is a small pass to the Southwest.

I move my army down to the Southwest, completing my defensive alignment. With this setup my base has gone from a leaky sieve to a nigh-impregnable fortress. The Dynasty is going to need to throw a large attack my way to have a chance of cracking my defenses.

With defense in hand I send Fang out on a scouting expedition. Maybe there's another bridge he can blow to halt ED attacks entirely. That'd be nice. I've also used the advanced scripting his unit now has to specify auto-targetting of the weakest unit (rather than the closest) and switched Fang to "Hold Area" which works like "Hold Position" but allows for maneuvers rather than having the unit stay put.

A Gruz sneaked in through the Northeast. It didn't last very long trying to build a Mine right next to the Defenders though. You'd think the ED would stop throwing their builders into my base without escort, but I guess they really really want those resources.

Ooh, more Small Towers for Fang to blow up! Sadly they're behind a wall so he can't get at them. Let's try going around...

Oh my. Looks like the Small Towers are guarding the Western approach to the ED base. There's no way to get behind them without blowing through the walls and Small Towers themselves. The AI can use walls to deny entrances too. Let's see if Fang can find another way into the base.

The Southern approach is much more open, unfortunately the Dynasty has gotten the Cossack light helicopter. Fang's energy cannon can't hit air units so he's a sitting duck without some air support. I'll have him retreat back to base for now. From here on out, Fang typically can't take on a base by himself due to the AI's love of air units. You're going to need an air force to counter the enemy's or your ground-to-ground units will get chewed up.

Good thing we just finished up our research on the homing rockets! We'll have Meteor fighters in only 4 minutes and then we can deploy them on the mission battlefield. Looks like the extra Research Centers I built will pay off.

Another Gruz comes in from the Northeast and promptly gets blown up by my defenses. Good job Dynasty! :bravo:

The Meteor m1 research is complete and our first one is on the battlefield! For now we can only stick a chaingun on it. I saved the ~3,000 CR so I could use it to build an airforce to counter the incoming incursions from the ED's Cossacks. Sadly the Meteor m1 is made out of tissue paper just like the Lunar m1, so I think my next move will be to research the Meteor m2 upgrade.

Cossacks are made out of extra-super thin tissue paper and will lose a fight one-on-one with a Meteor 10 times out of 10. For once the LC seems to have made a unit that's hands-down superior to its counterpart in the Dynasty army. Nice job ladies!

Two Meteors vs one Cossack isn't even fair. That Cossack blew up almost the instant it stopped to attack the laser wall. Just imagine how fast they'll blow up when faced with a whole fleet of Meteors :allears:

Another Gruz tried to sneak in but it's not even worth showing at this point. They just blow up right after they pass the Main Base.

As you can see the Meteor m2 boasts more HP for the same cost as the m1. The m3's improvements are even greater so I'll have that be my last piece of research for this mission. The production at the Main Base has auto-switched to the m2, which is great when you can't upgrade units in the field.

Now that I have 5 Meteors I want to show off the platoon system. Clicking on the "Create Platoon" button will make these 5 Meteors a platoon.

Units in a platoon act as one. As you can see their HP and damage output is reported collectively. Any commands I give will have to be given to the platoon as a whole rather than a single unit in the platoon. They also get a snazzy platoon badge that I'm sure the pilots are proud of.

From a practical standpoint though platoons aren't that great. They don't allow you to micro at all and the usefulness of having all units selectable at once is already implemented with the hotkey system. Still, I give Earth 2150 credit for including platoons. When I first played this game I made platoons all the time because I thought the whole mechanic was neat and I didn't understand how to micro.

Well look at that. While I was off playing with my Meteor platoon the Ore Transport Refinery sent off it's last shipment for the mission requirements. However there's still a good chunk in the ground, so I'll stick around and finish mining.

The Meteor m3 is done and with that so is half our chassis research. The Lunar Corporation only has 14 chassis (15 if you count the Crion) and we've already researched 7 of them. Another reason I recommend the LC on a first play-through is the relative simplicity of their unit construction. They only have 6 different types of offensive chassis, making unit construction much less daunting.

Hey look at that! We've put enough into the Spaceport for our first transfer to the orbital construction yard. LC News has a report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQGPa-uMkb8

We've finished resource extraction and things are quiet in our little mountain base. The snow makes it look rather peaceful.

:laffo: This is amazing. At the end of the mission, once the resource field was fully exploited the ED finally sent a Gruz with an offensive escort. They were able to blow up one of the Defenders and punch a hole in the laser wall. True, they did this because their base was out of money (notice the Mine in the background that has stopped construction due to lack of funds), but it's still pretty drat funny.

Once again we kicked Major Wlad's rear end. And we weren't totally outclassed on research this time around either! I'm guessing most ED soldiers really don't like being assigned to the Major's command given his atrocious attrition rate.

Next mission we'll be headed to Kamchatka to finally go on the offensive against the Eurasian Dynasty. Thank god. Success here would really cripple their research and allow us to get back to even on tech-parity.

We're on the last of the ambient-type songs for the Lunar Corporation. Starting next update we'll see combat music. :black101: For now enjoy LC Night 2.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 6, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

Is our own main base inviolate, or will we have to fend off the occasional enemy incursion there?

You'll just have to keep reading to find out!

No. It's fairly disappointing since they talk all the time about how you need to protect the Spaceport, yet there's never any threat against it except accidentally hitting auto-destruct. I think there might be some in The Moon Project/Lost Souls though.

Nuramor posted:

As far as I remember, the game will also auto-grant you all ressources on the map if you destroy all the enemies. Hunting down that last enemy supply flier is always a bit annoying though.

Yep, that's true. It's one of the reasons going on the offensive in missions like Himalaya might pay off despite being rather pricey. All resources are given to the Spaceport though so you'll need to steal from it if you'd like to use some of that money for research/production.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Now that we've got an idea of how the Lunar Corporation works (and I've got the Prima guides and permission from Slowbeef) I wanted to show off all the faction has to offer. These are all scans from the Prima Guide for Earth 2150 that came with the game (at least for me) and really helped me figure out how to not be an idiot.

Weapons, Structures and Units

First off here are all the Lunar Corporation's weapons and a few units. The Chaingun and Rocket Launchers are the same for all 3 factions. Not much to say other than that. The Electric Cannon and Sonic Cannon are the LC's energy weapons and like most weapons they come in standard and heavy versions. We haven't seen them yet so I'll save a deeper explanation for later, but I will say that the Sonic Cannon's upgrades allow it to fire faster. The Plasma Artillery is a weapon for a single unit (the Crion tank) and we won't see it till the end-game.

The Crater and Crusher are the heavy tanks of the LC while the Crion is an artillery unit. More on them when we unlock them.

Here you can see all the units we're currently working with (plus the Thunderer heavy bomber and two upgrades for the Crusher). All values are given for level 1. It should be apparent why the Lunar blows up at a slight breeze: it's the only LC combat unit to not have any armor. That third upgrade for the Meteor also allows us to put on a shield, but shields are useless for air units as there isn't an energy based ground-to-air or air-to-air weapon in Earth 2150. The sequels have some pretty devastating ground-to-air and air-to-air energy weapons though. Oh and I guess if you ever landed your air units a shield would be nice.

The Moon is a pretty good all-around unit and this chart bears that out. More HP than anything so far except for Fang, medium armor, good shield capacity, a quick build time and low cost.

We've seen all these structures so far save the Guardian, SDI Defense Center and Weather Control Center. The time to build is constant for every structure in the game save one for the UCS so that's not too interesting. What is interesting is the power consumption. Most LC structures are pretty power hungry and trying to use Main Bases as your defense will quickly black out your base at night time.

Research Trees

As I said earlier, we're already halfway done with chassis research. We still have yet to get the Crater, Crusher, Thunderer or Crion. It'll be a few missions before we'll be able to field them so just wait patiently, they're pretty good.

Oh and the Prima people misspelled Phobos as Fobos.

Really in-depth ammo tree you've got there LC. :effort: Since the LC relies so heavily on energy weapons it only has upgrades for it's 20 mm bullets and rockets. We've already maxed out the 20 mm bullets and we've only got the three heavy rocket and two regular rocket techs left to research.

Wow. That's a lot of weapons. The LC makes up for it's lack of chassis and ammo techs by having a fairly healthy weapons tree. We haven't researched a single one of these things yet so most of our research time is going to be spent on this tree. The Air Sonic Cannon can be devastating so I'm looking forward to showing that off to everyone.

Not too many special techs for the LC, however, they don't need lots of weapons research to get their super weapon unlike the ED and UCS. If you set things up right you can get the Weather Control Center very early. It's not always helpful but three of them fired at once can win a mission for you.

The Detector, Recharger and Regenerator all go on the Phobos probe and detect cloaked units, hasten shield recharge and hasten HP regeneration respectively.

Campaign Tree

Finally, here's the mission tree. I've blacked out the text on the split path because I'd like to keep that element of the game a surprise. Before we get to the Great Lakes mission I'll have y'all vote on which path you'd like to see. Both paths are equally viable even though you get an extra mission on the left-hand path.

I'll see if I can do the Kamchatka mission tomorrow. For now, I hope everyone has a happy New Year's Eve and is enjoying the thread!

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 31, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Happy New Year everyone!

We're taking the fight to the Dynasty today. After 4 missions it's finally time to push back. No more defense, no more sneaking. I'm excited. Are you? You should be.

An informer eh? Could it be Igor Burkov, the guy the LC was talking to before the UCS alliance? I say it is. Sombra also appears to have read her Sun Tzu. We'll do our best to heed her advice here. A quick strike will be best.

That's not much of a starting area. Good thing the LC has General Fang and his amazing anti-gravity tank. Also a pretty snazzy airforce.

A whole lot of research options are available now. In addition to these updates to the Rocket Launcher and Chaingun we can also fully upgrade the Moon. This rocket launcher upgrade gives us two barrels to shoot out of. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I send my starting Lunar m1 Rs to destroy the bridge to the Southeast. The base has exits from a large approach to the West, this bridge and a narrow canyon next to a river in the Southwest. I'd like to force the ED to come in from the canyon so this is the first step in ensuring that.

Oh look an unescorted Gruz, where have we seen that before? It's white this time so it must be from the research base.

Tough to cross into my base without a bridge isn't it Gruz? :smuggo:

Here's my solution to the Western approach. With a Main Base in the middle and the laser walls the ED tanks are going to go around to the Southwest. The main base should also provide enough defensive firepower to protect the approach. With Defenders dropping down to reinforce my army's position on the Southwest approach and back-up the Main Base it's time to go on offense, only five hours into the mission. The ED won't know what hit 'em.

Ah, here's the research base, right to the South. It looks pretty drat vulnerable so Fang should be able to take care of this himself.

God damned helicopters, ruining my plans! :argh:

Good thing I've got an air force! They knock the Cossacks out of the sky in no time while Fang starts working on the ED's repairer and Gruz units to prevent any repairs and reconstruction.

The rocket upgrade is done! I'm going to work on the double chainguns next, that way both our main weapons systems will be hitting harder.

With the destruction of this power plant the base is, practically speaking, destroyed. The ED research forces can't build any more units and their constructors are dead. It's just a matter of clean-up and minimizing casualties at this point.

There's the three research centers Sombra wants us to destroy. I've got a clever plan to deal with them while Fang and the Meteors take out the power grid.

Remember how I said the LC can build anywhere on the map they can see? Well if you throw down a Defender here it'll auto-target the buildings and start blowing them up. All you need to do is make sure they're resupplied and you can blow up a base without even using an army. Fang and the Meteors are focusing on the power plants to make sure the ED can't get anymore research finished.

Well, well, well look at that. Seems like the other ED forces have found our base and even blew up a laser wall. My beautiful lasers :qq: They'll pay for this.

The power plants are down. No more mining, no more researching and soon no more living from these ED researchers. The Defender is almost on the field. :black101:

The early strike here hopefully will set the ED back so badly they lose their tech advantage. Seizing the resource field here will let us open the research spigot and catch up.

Double chainguns in hand but out of resources at the Main Base I put a hold on research for the time being while I drop down some Research Centers on the battlefield. Ferrying everything back to the Main Base is going to take too long and slow us down.

These ZT 100 Siberia Rs pack quite a punch. Our forces are starting to melt due to their withering rocket barrage. Even with support from the Defender towers, it's not enough. We'll need to upgrade our Moons if we want to have a chance of taking out the other ED base.

The mine and Research Center are on the ground. Time to start researching that Moon upgrade.

To help defend against any more ED assaults I order the guns upgraded on all my defensive buildings and switch a few Defenders to a Rocket/Rocket configuration.

We've completed the mission but we need to take out the other ED base too. Not only will we be able to send more resources back to the Spaceport, we also must have revenge for the destruction of our fence!

Also Sombra makes a bit of a meta-joke here. It really is just a game Sombra. Can't we all party? :smith:

drat. The ED base is bottled up pretty tight. Fang can't hope to sneak in with all those Siberia units and towers. Making things even worse is a second level of towers beyond this one. I pull Fang back and consider my alternatives.

The Moon m1 Rs, Defenders and Meteors all make quick work of the few Cossacks that followed Fang up to the base.

Remember how I built a Defender in the research base? Let's try that again. I also build a single laser wall so I can get the fog of war removed where I want to build, but also to remind the ED of their murder of an innocent piece of military equipment.

It works! The Defender is down and starting to shoot the poo poo out of the base. Unfortunately all the Cossacks, Taigas and Siberias put quite pounding on it. I lower another tower but I don't feel very good about it.

Yep. The Dynasty blows up the Defender before it can reach ground. It falls and explodes and somewhere Major Wlad is laughing.

The Moon m2 is complete! As you can see it has much more HP than our old Moon m1. The upgraded rocket launcher is included as well so not only will the new Moon survive longer, it'll pack more of a punch too. I'm not satisfied yet though so I begin work on the m3, the final revision to the Moon.

Who's laughing now Wlad!? Me, that's who. My entire army will destroy your litt-what do you mean they all died in a frontal assault? Well poo poo. Time for some improvisation.

I pull Fang, a Meteor and a Moon (the only survivors :() into the back of the base and drop down some Defender towers. With all the mobile defenders destroyed and out of resources the ED can't do anything to hit the towers. Fang can now sit back in a safe position and destroy the power plant supplying power to all that defense at the base entrance. Unfortunately, I'll need to rebuild my army and airforce. Good thing I did all that chassis research!

The Moon m3 is done. It's going to be the backbone of our army for a very long time. There's only one Moon m1 R left and I doubt she's long for this world. Since the airforce got destroyed I might as well research the upgraded Air Chaingun before I rebuild it. The new Meteors will be better.

Fang, the towers and the 2 other survivors have taken out all the power plants and small towers. With the destruction of this tower there's nothing that can stop us from wiping the ED off the map and taking all those sweet, sweet resources.

Look at that new Meteor. I told you it'd be much better.

The last ED building is destroyed. For the first time in this war, the Lunar Corporation has completely annihilated the Eursian Dynasty. It is our first major victory. May there be many more in the future.

Our army and air force are rebuilt. Time to send these new shiny units home.

You need to have an Ore Transport Refinery built to transfer all the resources back to your base at the end of the mission, so I build one. I'd like to get that second upgrade for the rocket launcher before ending the mission though. Ending the tech imbalance will be big.

Now that the Moon and Chaingun are fully upgraded I've added a Moon m3 20mm to our unit list. The Lunars blow up too easily and over-reliance on rockets can bite you in the rear end when everyone runs out of ammo all at once. Expect to see some of these in our next missions.

I wanted to show this off earlier but forgot. Earth 2150 has a really neat three way split screen you can use at any time. You can use this to keep an eye on your main base or the tunnels. I'll be keeping things on the standard view since Irfanview sometimes screws up the screenshots with three screens going. I just got the full version of Fraps, so I'll see if using that fixes the issue.

High Counselor Torlan lets us know that we're 10% done with Catharsis thanks to our extra resource gathering. Great news!

An extra 11 points of damage is a 33% upgrade over the old version of the rocket launcher. I think I can say now that the LC has the upper hand in technology.

This nice little pop up shows up before you end a mission where you can send resources back. 12,719 for "free" is not bad at all.

We kicked rear end this mission! :drat: Major Wlad only completed research on 2 techs and Major Kruz (the research guy) only got one. And we had a great unit kill ratio this mission. To top it all off, we gathered almost twice as many resources. I have no complaints this mission. Well, except for those 16 losses. Those weren't so great :smith:

We're going back to ACME Labs. Maybe Sheela won't hit on us this time? I hope the re-education center or whatever they sent her too has helped out, she kind of freaked me out last mission. I'm curious to see what TENEBRE is though. Sounds like it could be good.

In honor of our brutal destruction of the ED this mission our track today will be LC - War 1. This is one of 3 tracks that plays anytime you get attacked by or attack the enemy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

Happy New Year to you too axeil.

An interesting tactic to try out in this mission:

See that blue patch north of the main ED base? That's a backdoor entrance to it.
Drop a shuttle full of missile moons and a supplier or two to the mission area (along with Fang, of course) and bring them all there. ED should try to hit you from the shore. Zap everyone with Fang and shoot down any aircraft with your moons. Try to clear the enemy units as fast as you can, while dancing your tanks around to avoid damage from rockets. Those bloody Siberias are a priority. :argh: Now drop a supply building and a defender or two on the small hill you've been fighting just north of and resupply your rocket launchers (they should be running dry about now). The defenders should take care of any incursions. Hopefully, you're getting a second round of reinforcements from your base by now. Press south, crushing any resistance and wrecking all buildings. (easier said than done, if you don't take out their power fast enough) Be wary of Gruz trying to rebuild. Eventually, all that's left will be the front gate towers. Ignore them or destroy them at your leisure.

Once the main base is taken out, you can just resupply and roll over the research base. The end result should put you ahead ~10.000 ore or so compared to the normal way of beating this map, and with a lot less casualties. Enemy research would be about the same, since you let the research base live a bit longer, but finished off the main base a lot sooner.

Lesson learned from this battle: Moons are awesome. Their combination of speed and armor, along with the potential firepower a swarm of them can produce is a commander's dream.

Wow. I didn't even realize that when I played through. I always thought those towers were there in the north of the ED base to protect against an air attack.

Please keep giving these insights into alternate strategies, they're fantastic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

Is there any actual effect to running a mission on snow vs. forest vs. mountains, or is it just a different texture color?

Snow reduces your visibility, rain will make units travel slower (I recall a UCS walker once getting stuck in the rain but that could've been a bug), wind will ground air units and clouds will make the Solar Power Plant less effective. There's fog as well but that's just another weather type that lowers visibility.

For practical purposes the only weather conditions you need to worry about are high winds and snow. The AI doesn't even need to worry about snow since it doesn't "see" the same way a human player does and high winds don't occur naturally except if you use the Weather Control Center. I'd love a mod for the game that would allow them to occur x% of the time the same as other weather conditions as air units are overpowered. Of course I don't think there's a mod scene for this game anymore so I'll likely never see that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Back to ACME Labs we go for another meeting with Progress Manager Sheela Merlan to check on the upgrades to the TENEBRE prototype. Let's see what they've got.

:lol: Sheela's sarcasm. She sounds a lot less like a crazy person now and seems kind of nice and funny. Maybe she was just nervous around Fang last time. I thought the sign-off was particularly good. Counselor Korlan is not so amused with Sheela's familiarity with Fang though. All jokes aside, let's get that prototype tested.

Very clear naming scheme the LC researchers have got going on there. For this mission you literally do not have to do anything. The prototype will drive itself to all the locations, just like Fang's tank did back in ACME Labs 1. I think Fang's supposed to actually be the one testing the tank thus the delay in starting the tests.

:smith: Aw they're taking Sheela away for real this time. I was starting to laugh at her jokes and obvious attempts at flirting. The weird dynamic between Fang, Sheela and Counselor Korlan is pretty amusing, almost like these ACME Labs missions are the comic relief of the campaign. No time to mourn for the reassignment of Progress Manager Merlan though, we've got a tank to test.

:smug: General Fang wins again.

Nesley Sharlan, Sheela Merlan's assistant has taken over the testing. Guess they weren't kidding about transferring her. Oh well on to getting shot at by Defenders.

Seems like the hull does a good job of defending against bullets and it regenerates just as fast as Fang's tank.

And now it's time to blow stuff up. I like blowing stuff up.

Oh man this thing hits even harder than Fang's tank I can't wait to have an army of-

Oh. :geno: Looks like it just blew up when we shot that second tank. On second thought I'd not like to have an army of these. Self-destructing tanks aren't very useful.

Good news, Fang is perfectly fine despite the TENEBRE II blowing up with him inside. Seems like Nesley Sharlan doesn't know much about what's going on with the TENEBRE. I think replacing Sheela may have been a mistake, since she seemed to have a good grip on the research despite her colloquial nature. Hopefully this doesn't set back the TENEBRE research too much.

An escort mission? I get the sense there's ED forces in the region so we'll either need to be sneaky again or blow them all up. The UCS asking for an escort is no small thing and indicates a much greater respect for our forces. Maybe GOLAN heard about what we did in Kamchatka :black101:

Apologies for the shortness of this update. There's just not very much to do in ACME Labs 2. I promise more excitement next time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This mission is deceptively hard and is the first time in the game where not preparing beforehand will probably end with mission failure. Blowing everyone up is not really an option for reasons that will quickly become apparent.

Before starting the mission I order my Aerial Supply Depot to reload every unit I have. They'll all be heading to the field and it's crucial they have full ammo.

Sombra doesn't have too much for us in the mission briefing. We'll need to meet up with the UCS convoy to hear the full briefing.

This is the UCS base to the north where we'll be meeting up with the UCS convoy.

And this is the UCS base to the south where we'll need to deliver the convoy. If you notice, the base doesn't have a refinery. Looks like they need the convoy to get their economy going down there. If we fail the base will be easily overrun. If you look on the minimap the UCS target base is that little patch of revealed terrain in the southeast.

We don't start out with much, 3 Lunar m1 20mms and a LZ. We need Fang to activate the convoy so let's send him and the rest of our army over.

There. Much better. We've got 5 Moon m3 Rs, 2 Moon m2 Rs, 1 Moon m1 R and 6 Meteor m3 20mms plus Fang in addition to our 3 starting Lunar m1 20mms. We're going to need every one of them.

I use some of the excess money from our victory in Kamchatka to research more rocket upgrades. These won't have an impact in this mission because we have no way of reloading once we send over our units. This is why I made sure everyone was topped up on ammo before starting the mission.

So here's the convoy. 3 Mammoth construction units. I agree with Sombra, these things aren't very pleasant to look at. We need to make sure 2 of the 3 survive. Of course the UCS would probably prefer they all survive and since this is our chance to prove to them we're a valuable ally I'm going to make sure we don't lose any of them!

From now on, the Mammoths will follow Fang wherever he goes. Using him as a scout is a really, really bad idea because of that. So say hello to Unit Group 2! They're all technologically inferior units so it's not so bad if they get destroyed in an ambush. This is a most unharmonious tactic so no one tell Sombra okay? I don't want her to get mad at me :smith:

Unit Group 2 will head north to find any potential ambush locations. If they spot units I'll call in the heavy-hitting Moons and Meteors.

So far so good. I expected tons of ED units to sit on the other side of that bridge you can see in the minimap as it's a natural choke point but no one was there. With the way clear, the rest of the convoy and its escorts move up to meet my scout group.

Tricky, tricky ED. Trying to ambush me from behind. The scouts will act as the anvil to the Meteor's hammer and we'll have the Dynasty surrounded and defeated in mere seconds.

Beautiful. There aren't any anti-air units here so the Pamirs are helpless against my air force. That's what you get for trying to ambush an innocent little convoy :colbert:

:raise: Interesting. Looks like the ED was going to use the same hammer and anvil tactic I just used on them. But with the anvil part of their attack destroyed, wiping out a few tanks in the open field is child's play.

With this ambush destroyed we can now cross the bridge to the east. We'll wait before crossing the second bridge though.

Oh gently caress. My scout group has run into a massive air force. Time for an organized retreat a mad dash back to the rest of the convoy.

Mad dashing didn't work out for that Moon :smith:. 8 Cossacks is a pretty serious attack force. It's also why you'll need to bring along extra units. Remember that Fang can't shoot air units. If they spot Fang and you don't have any anti-air units to move in you'll lose the convoy and maybe even Fang.

The Cossacks run headlong into our position on the other side of the second bridge.

And as we know Cossacks stand no chance against units that can shoot back. Those rockets flying off look really cool, unfortunately they're valuable rockets and we can't afford to shoot them off at the sky for cinematic effect.

Our scouts regroup and head south.

:stare: Well looks like we can't go that way. There's a base almost directly south of our position. And that's an ED Weapons Factory. gently caress. They might have more units coming. The western side of the base is also well defended. There's a narrow valley all the way on the map's border but it's risky. If this Dynasty base spots us this whole mission is over. Maybe there's another way. I'll send the air force to scout back in the center of the map.

:confused: What the hell are these things? They're...not shooting at me. Hell they haven't even moved. Maybe they're unmanned? I want an up-close look so I call over one of the Moons I've been using as a scout. I'm sure our UCS allies would appreciate these...whatever the hell they are and if they're unmanned a capture operation should be easy.

:tviv: WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT THING!? HOLY poo poo! In game time it took about 2 seconds for my Moon to blow up. And why did it turn red?

You just got your rear end kicked by the ED Laser.

The Eurasian Dynasty Laser is the ED energy weapon and it is without a doubt the best thing since sliced bread if you're attacking unshielded ground troops. Unlike every other weapon in the game, the laser attacks a unit's temperature and overheats the unit until it melts or its ammunition stores explode. Most units have very low temperature tolerance so the laser units can make quick work of them.

The laser cannot attack air units and buildings have a lot of temperature tolerance so it's not so great in an assault. These are it's only weaknesses. How do you counter them? Easy just build...

Shields. The Power Shield Generator gives your units/buildings a way to defend against energy weapons at almost no cost. It's only 100 CR to add a 1200 PSU shield to any building/unit. I've been saving the research on this until we saw a laser unit but now that they're out there I'll get them researched. Remember, we can't upgrade our units so all our Moons will be very vulnerable to laser attack until they're replaced with shielded units.

The Mammoths don't have any shields so we'll have to find a way around this base.

I have Fang and the scouts move over to this lake on the far side of the map. If my scouts can slink down past the base I think Fang can guide the Mammoths through without too much trouble.

It's dicey. One ED patrol near the mine will be enough to spot us. Fortunately there's nothing to the south so if I can get the Mammoths here it'll be smooth sailing.

Fang almost blows the whole mission by attacking the ED base. I set him to hold his fire and put him back on course.

We made it! That is the closest I ever want to pass to an ED base without attacking it. I'm now thinking the UCS wanted Fang to conduct this escort because of his reputation for sneaking around the ED rather than his annihilation of the Research Base in Kamchatka.

What you didn't see (because I'm not suicidal) is the ED base is swarming with Pamir tanks and Cossack helicopters. You will almost certainly lose this mission if you try to bust through the base. You don't have the ammunition and the Mammoths don't have the armor.

I move the rest of my forces past the base in the same manner and then send the Meteors south to look for an easy entrance to the UCS base. We don't find it, but we do find some Pamirs that can't shoot aerial targets! Easy pickings.

In the foggy morning that follows the convoy escort has found a little isthmus the Mammoths can cross. It's extremely exposed and the convoy will need to move single file. I've positioned my escort ahead of the isthmus so they can intercept any ambush. Hopefully they don't try to move in from behind.

I'm very nervous about the Mammoths crossing here. Hurry up and get it over with.

Looks like I was right about the ambush. Some of the tanks are purple here. I have no idea why that's the case.

My army is starting to run out of ammunition. We end up taking pretty heavy casualties here and it's only through Fang's intervention that I avoid the total destruction of my ground army. As it is I lose almost all my Moon m3 Rs. We better be closed to finished. I don't think we can defeat another ambush.

With the ambush defeated I can send the convoy around. Right past the burnt out husks of their comrades :smith:

Small towers! One of the Moons still has a few rockets left and shoots one at the tower. I'm done losing units today so I send in Fang.

He loves blowing up small towers.

And just like that we're in the other UCS base. Hooray!

For extra safety I have my Meteor escort the Mammoths across the bridge. They're out of ammo but hopefully if the ED stage one last attack they can draw their fire long enough to get the Mammoths home.

Success! I'm not so sure the death of most of our army and the discovery of a Dynasty energy weapon is responsible but I'll take it.

The convoy Mammoths start work on improving the southern base while my units cross the river to the northeast. Why the UCS couldn't have just built a bridge I'll never know.

So many went out but so few returned. :(

I take the time before the mission ends to upgrade our Moons with shield generators. I'll not have any more instant-deaths from lasers on my watch.

Oh gently caress the laser tanks! Time to go!

Wlad got demoted to Lieutenant for this mission. Not sure why since I still played on Average difficulty. We lost a lot of units and Wlad kicked our asses. But we completed the mission while Wlad failed. Take that. :smug:

Before my pre-mission save I build one Moon m3 R with shields. This gal will be able to stand up to any energy weapons she runs into.

Rest of Sombra's transmission posted:

by simply transmitting the ED codes, but don't get caught up in needless fighting.

We have secret self-destruct codes for ED buildings? Why haven't we been using them!? And Lake Baikal is awesome so I'm looking forward to this mission. It's the deepest freshwater lake in the world!

This is the last track on the Earth 2150 soundtrack for the LC. It's the second battle theme. Would you all like if I uploaded the music from The Moon Project/Lost Souls now or would you rather wait? It's 3 more songs, one for each situation (Day, Night, War).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

I didn't want to spoil the mission, but now I can say it: gently caress escort missions. :argh:
Also, guess which one of my units blundered into the lasers when I first played this mission? :sigh:
Worst of all, I didn't see the side-path, so I cut straight trough the ED base. It was mostly a run-and-gun showdown, but the Mammoths survived, and so did (somehow) most of my units. Although I brought in a second transport full of missile moons, so this might have been a bit easier, particularly with those helis focusing fire on Fang the immortal-if-you-avoid-lasers. Ironically, this blunder turned out to be for the best since I blew up their research center along the way, so they only completed one research.

The next mission is probably the easiest mission in the campaign, not counting the ACME missions.

Wow. I'm surprised your units made it through. This was actually my second playthrough because the first time the lasers blew up a Mammoth and then I accidentally ran through the base and got overwhelmed by the Cossacks, Pamirs and towers. Only Fang made it.

Fun fact: you don't lose the campaign if you lose a mission. I gave some consideration to showing a failed update but decided since most people don't know anything about the game it's worth it to show off success in every mission. I might fail one infamous UCS mission just to show how impossible the alternate path is though.

Baikal is so mind numbingly easy I'm considering doing an update for it today. It might only take me 10 minutes to complete. If you count all the missions ACME 2 has to be the easiest in the entire game for any faction. I mean, you don't even have to do anything, it's almost a cutscene. Baikal is a nice change of pace especially since you may have lost your entire army in Canada if you didn't play properly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

I don't understand how you're supposed to do that mission without massive losses like that. I mean, the enemy can reproduce his lost units, while you can't even re-arm ammunition? What would've happened if you'd failed?

The most hilarious mission failed briefing I've ever seen:

And then you have to send Fang back to base. Everything else progresses as normal.

I've completed the next two missions. They're both very easy. I'll upload them both so expect an update soon. I'm watching football though so it may not be up till later tonight.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Okay. I told y'all this mission was easy and you're about to see just how low effort it is.

the end of Korlan's message posted:

our people. But we cannot, under any circumstances, sink to the level of our enemies or our allies. As long as I lead the Celestial Council, there will never be a single spy in the LC. It helps little for us to defeat our enemies in battle if the price is the sacrifice of our souls.

Affectionately yours,
Korlan<<

So if we rush the base it looks like we can destroy it with the auto-destruct sequence. High Counselor Korlan doesn't approve of espionage though. That seems like a very bad way to run your army. If you don't have any spies who stops spying within your own organization? I suppose since most of LC High Command is on the Moon it's not that big a concern but what if an ED agent made a sister an offer she can't refuse? People always have desires and wants as much as the LC likes to deny it. I'd really like to not have to kill any of our sisters. They're nice ladies. :unsmith:

We start with 2 Lunar 20mms, a landing zone and a good chunk of minerals. Let's start building.

Fang's now on the field. Time for him to rush into the base! Hopefully his tank's armor holds up against the defenses. As you can see here, I don't even have my base constructed before I'm going on the offensive.

Oh. :effort: The ED hasn't gotten going either. Well time to blow it up.

Aw Sombra's such a softy. I hope they get out okay too :unsmith:

Well at least the ones that are just scientists and workers. The soldiers can go right to hell.

Fang has 18 seconds to clear out of the base before it all goes bye-bye. There's a few ED tanks here that'll chase you out but Fang can easily outrun them.

BOOM! A power plant and weapons factory survived somehow. Fang'll just have to go back and blow those up on his own.

The ED manage to build a Cossack but one Cossack can't hope to damage Fang enough for him to abort the attack. The weapons factory is kaput in a few seconds.

:drat: We've already won this mission and I'm not even done building my base.

I think this illustrates how ridiculously easy this mission is. I've only been in the mission for about 2 minutes at this point.

Sombra thinks the ED is dumb for building on top of a bomb. I'd agree with her if it weren't for the fact that the only reason the bomb blew up was because we activated it. She also seems very trusting. There's nothing weird about people carrying sidearms around on the base. And they don't even have security guards? :wtc:

So you're saying if the ED wanted to they could walk right into our HQ building because there's no security? What the hell Sombra!? Between that and the "no spies" thing I'm getting really worried. I think I need to work on hiring some guards. This setup seems really risky :ohdear:

There's a few stragglers left so I send Fang and the girls out to hunt 'em down.

They don't last very long.

With the mission area cleared it's time to start collecting resources for CATHARSIS. 70k or so looks pretty nice to me. While we do that it's time to catch up on research.

First item on the menu is the Guardian Tower. It's like the Defender except better in every way. It can mount heavy weapons (although we don't have any heavy weapons yet) and comes with more armor and HP. It also requires power, but that's not such a big deal since the LC powergrid extends across the whole map. Just be careful when you build these that you don't overwork your power grid.

And now we can finally get the EC energy weapon. The Electro-Cannon is not quite as good as the laser, but it's much better at assaults. Why? Because the Electro-Cannon will damage a unit's or structure's energy stores in addition to its HP/shields. This is the same thing Fang's cannon does and it will let you disable units so they can't fight back. If you were the ED or UCS you could capture the units with your Repairer. Since you aren't you can just leave them there and laugh as they can't do anything.

The Electro-Cannon is done. And we have a news update! Apparently the Ixchel Research Center is to thank for our new toy. Thanks Ixchel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81EjuUWnLw

Our next move will give us Air Rockets. They're exactly the same as rockets on the ground but now we can mount them on the Meteor. I generally prefer them to the 20mm cannons because once you have the rocket ammunition fully upgraded they let you hit and run really well.

Our newest unit is the Moon m3 E. 46 damage is fantastic and if I wasn't right up against the resource limit I'd build a whole bunch of these. We'll have to settle for only three for now.

And here's the Meteor m3 R. It's a Meteor with rockets. Wahoo.

Our first energy weapon is on the field. I'll be using a lot of these in the coming missions since they don't rely on reloading and wreck unshielded stuff. The ED won't be shielding for a bit so it's worth it to focus on energy weapons until they do.

42,000 CR extra is quite nice. I'll split it between research and spaceship construction.

:laffo: We crushed Major Wlad. He didn't even get his mines built!

TENEBRE III? We're so close to an army of Fang's tanks I can taste it. This war is going to be over the minute we get them on the field.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

By the way, which campaign do you plan to play next? I've recently finished the LC campaign and I figure I might try to find some crazy strategy for the next faction.

No preference. I figure I'll let everyone vote on it.

Speaking of voting, :siren: the next update will have a thread vote in it :siren: I won't say about what yet but it's the most important decision you'll make in the LC Campaign.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Before we start LC News has a weather report for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cwn-tg7sM

:( No more snow. Okay, time to test the TENEBRE III!

God. loving. drat. It. This is why you need spies Lunar Corporation!

ACME Labs transmitted the specs for the Weather Control Center to us before they were attacked. It'll take a long time to research, let's hope we can finish it before the facility goes offline.

See look at this. No guards, no units, no defenses of any kind. We were in Dynasty territory this whole time. Why didn't they secure this place? If I was Fang I'd be pissed right now.

An important note for this mission. That object there is an artifact. Artifacts give your units ammo refills, or energy topoffs or other things. This one gives the unit that touches it a shield. It is also one of only two places in the game where Fang can shield his tank. It is really important that you use this on Fang or he'll be vulnerable to lasers the rest of the game.

Okay time to unload and send in Fang and the air force to kill this traitor...

Aw gently caress. Looks like this traitor had an auto-destruct code too. She takes off to to the west and there's nothing to stop her from fleeing to the south except the Defender towers that the labs used to test armor regen.

Fang races across the lake for the third time. It's not so fun and playful this time, no joking from Sheela. Just a traitor to kill. :(

The Meteors find a number of Pamir tanks scattered throughout the approach to the south. Fang should ignore these and focus on the TENEBRE. If you stop to get the Pamirs you'll lose.

Fang's gaining on the TENEBRE but she's still a good bit ahead.

This is it! This is where the TENEBRE and it's traitor pilot are fleeing to. The air force is given orders to scramble to destroy it. If we can destroy this tunnel entrance there will be nowhere for the pilot to run. Maybe she'll surrender and get the prototype back. The research was all destroyed in the research base's auto-destruct so our only hope of getting the TENEBRE on the field is recovering this prototype.

The tunnel entrance is no more. The traitor has no where to go now. Surely she'll surrender, right?

No, what...what are you doing? The TENEBRE keeps on heading south, refusing to stand down. Fang is going to have to kill her. :(

That's it. She's dead. And with her dies the TENEBRE project. What a kick in the nuts.

Her name was Jadima Laikan. She drove the Moon back in that first test at ACME Labs. I imagine that wasn't easy for Fang, Nesley, or Korlan. :smith:

At least the Celestial Council will understand the need for internal security now.

Today innocence and naivety have died. I doubt the Lunar Corporation will see things the same way again.

Oh poo poo. That's a lot of tanks. I assume they were there to protect the prototype once it got in the tunnels. With that plan foiled they're now going to work on destroying the rest of the LC base.

These Defenders are holding them off long enough for Fang and the airforce to get back to the Jupiter. It's going to be very close.

Fang picks up the shield upgrade. 3,600 PSU is a lot of shielding, but there's no time to marvel over this upgrade. We need to get General Fang out of here before the Pamirs show up.

They make quick work of the Solar Power Plant, sending the few base remnants into darkness. It's only going to be a minute or two before they reach the landing zone.

I'll miss you ACME Labs. We had some great times here. Thankfully Nesley and her staff got out okay. I hope word doesn't get to Sheela though. She'll probably take the news really hard, she had worked with Jadima for years :smith:

LC News has a report on the tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANGedOEjkFY

There is one silver lining though, we completed the research on the Weather Control Center before the facility was destroyed. It's cold comfort but the WCC will allow us to do some amazing things on the battlefield.

rest of Alia Tiolan's message posted:

The ED troops must cross the rive to get to you. If you destroy the bridges you'll buy us enough time

It's like the first mission all over again. We'll see if the WCC can help us here.

We're 9 missions into the LC campaign. So far the UCS hasn't done a damned thing to help us out. Women of the LC have died to defend the UCS from ED attacks and to deliver their convoy vehicles while the UCS has yet to come to our aid. We've seen the sorts of things the Dynasty is capable of. They're strong fighters and look like they have the upper hand on the UCS. We know they were interesting in allying with us before things were finalized with the UCS. Maybe things would be better had we made a different choice...

So why not change our minds?

If I get the chance maybe I can talk to the ED and form an alliance with them. Similarly, maybe airing our grievances with the UCS will get them more involved in helping us.

Voting Procedure

If you'd like me to stick with the UCS write UCS and include the UCS logo like so:
UCS

If instead you think it's better we jump ship and cozy up to the ED, write ED and include the ED logo like so:
ED

Voting will run from now until I reach the mission where a decision is possible. If the vote ends in a tie I reserve the right to pick the side I'd rather play.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Odd posted:

I pick UCS

Axeil, I'm really enjoying this LP, by the way. I have a question for you, though: Is it ever explained where and how General Fang got his hands on an ALIEN tank? Are aliens a thing in the game? Was it something from the previous game? I didn't see anything mentioned about spacemen in your histories in the first post.

Nope. No explanation. I'm assuming the UCS gave him the tank in reward for his service to the UCS in the 2140 war and also as a token of goodwill in negotiation with the LC. Regardless of what we pick I'll make sure and tie The Moon Project into this campaign. Since it happens concurrently with the main Earth 2150 campaign I'd like for there to be allusions to it while we're completing the main campaign.

The UCS campaign talks a bit about how they've researched alien crash landings at Area 51 but there's still no definite answer about where they found Fang's tank. Pick your favorite explanation! The cannon is pretty loose here.

Rumors have it the LC has also found alien artifacts on the Moon so they might not be that impressed with an alien tank...

my dad posted:

UCS

Because ED just made us kill one of our sisters. :mad:

Hey Fang(z), aren't you supposed to be a UCS guy?

Your love of your sisters is admirable My Dad. Sombra and Korlan will know of your loyalty to the LC cause. We will not forget the pain the execution of Jadima caused the LC. We all mourn her death and betrayal.

Fang is a UCS guy but he's grown very disillusioned with the way they run their state and military. If we decide to go to the ED I'll post an excerpt from his asylum request with the LC. If we decide to stick with the UCS it'll wait till the start of The Moon Project.

The bit of back-story The Moon Project's manual gives is really interesting. Regardless of this thread's decision we'll be seeing full quotes from the opening pages of the manual. You need to see the testimony and letters from Fang and other major players in the Earth 2150 campaign. Are you sure there's really a good guy-bad guy dynamic here? For everyone voting, things are not what they seem. Consider all we've seen so far before you cast your ballot. Your friends might be sharpening the dagger that's planned for your back and your enemies may be preparing a bouquet of flowers to hail your leadership. Or maybe I'm just over-complicating things and your initial impressions are correct. There is no correct choice here. The game will still be extremely enjoyable regardless of what we pick.

Also consider what faction you'd most like to see us with. Do you like Robots? Then vote UCS. Would you like to see us allied with our former enemies? Then vote ED! There is no wrong vote here!

The narrative of this campaign will be okay no matter who we choose, I just might have to be more creative with my rationale. No worries as I have a great rationale written out regardless of who we choose. The last thing I'd want to do is discourage votes based on a perceived "cannon." Both sides are completely legitimate. Vote what you'd like to see for the next few updates.

Also please ask questions if you'd like to know why I've done a certain thing. I love this game and I love talking about it. More discussion, even over mundane gameplay points is a plus in my book.

Cythereal posted:

According to the backstory in the first post, the UCS started the war, the ED are the ones who destabilized Earth's orbit.

This is true. The UCS started the war in 2140, completely by accident. But we can blame the ED for the destabilization of Earth's orbit. Yet can we truly blame the ED? If they did not fire their missiles they would've been annihilated. Is it just to destroy the world to save yourself? What if there was a chance of escape for your allies and enemies?

It makes me very happy to see people justifying their votes when they make them. Please continue to do so. I love debates and I think a debate about who is more worthy of support is great given the murky situation we're in.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Odd posted:

That's too bad. Aliens always make things cooler.

The UCS could very well have acquired the tank from fabled 20th century alien crash site at Area 51. I cannot confirm or deny rumors related to that at this point :)

Odd posted:

Wait a second...Has the LC even said they'd be taking anyone with them from the UCS to mars, for their help? Are...are WE the bad guys? Er, ladies?

The LC might be more selfish than you think despite all their new-age feel-goodery. Consider the following: If you had lived peacefully on the Moon for 100 years and fighting on Earth had caused the destruction of the planet and Moon would you be willing to evacuate anyone involved who was Earth-bound, knowing they were the source of the planet's death?

Of course the LC might be the Moon-hippies we think they are and will give seats to any Earthbound ones who help the LC cause. The important question here is what do you think?

Earth 2150 does not try to provide concrete answers about "good guys" and "bad guys." This is one of the reasons I love this game. Ambiguous morality is always a pull for me in games. Hell, this is why I was attracted to Spec Ops: The Line which may be one of the finest examples of ambiguous morality in a game I've ever seen.

The Moon Project and Lost Souls will bring these questions into even greater focus. My only recommendation to everyone is keep in mind everyone's motive and that at the fundamental level, there aren't enough resources to ensure the evacuation of everyone on Earth and the Moon

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 6, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm so glad someone is finally doing an LP of Earth 2150. I was even thinking of doing one myself and now I don't have to.
You're really doing it justice too.

Just some more info on the weather system: Snow slows down units that don't move for a while (in several stages), Rain fills in low lying areas with water and raises the water level, Wind speeds up air units in the direction of the wind and slows down when travelling against the wind, Storms (always accompanied by rain) have random lightning strikes on things made of metal (basically Fangs Primary weapon randomly hits your buildings), and something not seen yet that I don't wanna spoil.

Also Lasers have neat interaction with ambient temperature - they're worse at night (it's colder at night) and worse in cold areas of the globe. They will tear poo poo apart even more when it's daytime in Egypt.

On the topic of Banners not being good - they add 2 levels to everything in range. What exactly those 2 levels get you you can check in real time (the unit stats update immediately). It's damage, speed and health.

Huh. I'll have to give banners a try in the Amazon mission. I knew they had some impact but I could never figure out what it was. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of the Amazon mission I'm currently traveling for work so sadly I won't have an update till later this week (thus my posting of three updates on Saturday to tide you over).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

While that's true, the ED has clones. The infantry options (that were cut from 2150 but were present in 2140) are Terminator look-alikes for UCS and Clone Armies for ED. The Big 2150 UCS Robots are also not robots, because they're being controlled by Brains-in-boxes harvested from the general population without their knowledge. That makes them Cyborgs I think. Or Daleks.

Not anymore. The manual narrative talks about how there was a revolution in the ED and one of the outcomes was the destruction of all the cloning and cyborg facilities.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Who should the Lunar Corporation support?

Current vote count:

Eurasian Dynasty: 11
United Civilized States: 14

:siren: Voting will close at 11:59 PM EST on Friday January 11th (that's tomorrow)! :siren:

Please remember to include the faction image and the faction abbreviation in bold so counting is easier. Wouldn't want anyone's votes to get missed!

I'm working on the Amazon update right now. I think you all will like this one as it's got Weather Control Centers :science:

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 11, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I'm back! I'm glad to see the voting is really popular. Now, let's go to the Amazon! High Mentor Tiolan said the ED forces need to cross some bridges to get to us so I'm gonna take a wild stab here and say Fang and co. will be blowing up bridges again.

Can't win? Fang doesn't know the meaning of can't win! :black101:

He does know the meaning of "blow up the bridges" though so I'll focus on doing that. 50,000 CR is more than double what we were collecting at the start of the campaign, construction must be speeding up.

The LC base already has adequate power and two shiny Ore Transport Refineries. But we're lacking something...something weather related.

I put in orders for 3 Weather Control Centers. I can't wait to use them.

On the research front, we've got the last upgrade for our rockets. Once we have this our missiles should hit the enemy 100% of the time. This upgrade makes the advantages of chainguns over rocket launchers pretty small, so from now on expect to see a lot more rocket/electro-cannon units. I won't say the chaingun is obsolete, because it's still useful in quick strikes against injured units, but there's little reason to use it now for my main army/air force.

The mission gives you this helpful countdown until the ED attack. We've got 36 hours to take out the bridges that lead to the base. There are three primary bridges that connect to the northwestern landmass we're on, however these bridges are natural choke points for ED defenses. We fight smart, so we'll be looking for secondary bridges we can blow to achieve the same objective.

This is bridge one, right outside your base area. It makes sense to hit it first.

Bridge two is to the southwest, is already guarded by a mass of Small Towers, and Large Towers and Pillboxes are under construction. They took out my Lunar scout before she even knew what hit her :(. This will be the last one we tackle.

And this is a secondary bridge in the northeast. You can see the ED defensive line guarding the bridge to the north that connects to the landmass our base is on. Blowing this bridge will allow us to avoid these Dynasty defenses. And if we really want to, we can hit the power plant from behind and take out the unpowered towers with no risk to our units.

Our Weather Control Centers are on the ground. They take a few minutes to charge up to 100% but lesser weather effects will be available at lower charges. In this mission our choices will be Wind, Rain and Lighting Storm. Obviously I'm waiting till these are at 100% to unleash the lightning :shopkeeper:

Fang and the Girls arrive, blowing the first bridge in seconds. The electro-cannon is particularly effective against the bridge. I don't know why a bunch of concrete and steel would collapse faster when you put a charge in it than when you shoot a rocket at it though. I'll chalk it up to LC science.

Our fancy rockets are done so back to the Research Center we go. The Shield Recharger is pretty useless. Our shields can stand a pretty withering ED laser attack with normal recharge right now. The UCS plasma cannons might warrant this upgrade but they're our friends. Friends don't shoot friends.

The stronger shields area good bet though. Tougher shields will let us keep pace with upgrades to the ED's laser weapon.

My battle force has sneaked in behind the defensive line in the southwest to hit a secondary bridge. Unfortunately, this doesn't completely cut off the southwestern approach but it does destroy the most direct route from the ED base to the southwestern bridge. Stalling the enemy for no cost to yourself but time is a move I'll always make.

On the way to the secondary approach in the northeast Fang runs into a bunch of ED tanks parked and ready to ambush the LC. He makes quick scrap of them but...

The girls want in on the action too. These single-cannon Pamirs are hopelessly outclassed by our veteran units and energy weapons. There's no reason to fear these base units anymore unless we see a big swarm of them.

Fang disables the ED power plant to ensure the towers won't be firing on the army as they blow the bridge. He gets a bit chewed up but is no worse for the wear.

With the defenses neutered the bridge goes down easy. I let everyone take some target practice against the now useless towers.

Once again, it's easy to hit these towers once Fang has disabled the power plant. Give the ED some credit, had we tried to attack from the front the firepower of those pillboxes and towers would've shredded our units. They even put chainguns on some of the towers to protect them from an aerial assault. Smart thinking ED.

With less than a day to go until the attack the ED has started sending scouts over to test our defenses. Fortunately I know they can only approach from the southeast and I've set up a Guardian to punish any ED unit who strays to close to the base. This Pamir didn't stand a chance.

I use the same tactic I did up in the northeast to take out the last defensive outpost and bridge. Once again, we suffer 0 casualties. The LC has become a truly terrifying fighting force under General Fang's leadership.

Another scouting tank was trying to cross just as the bridge fell into the river. He gets very sad and sits at the end of the bridge while being electrocuted.

At 82% charge the WCCs can send in rain and windstorms. We need that last 12% so we can wreck havoc on the Dynasty base.

Of course we'll need to find the Dynasty base so I send Fang out scouting. Here you can see some defenses on a secondary bridge. The ED figured out my trick a little too late I think.

:gonk: OH GOD ITS THE ATTACK FORCE RUN AWAY FANG

Note the change in the health bar and the clock in the upper right hand corner. Fang was barely there before his health started melting away. I know I just said Pamir tanks are fairly useless now but there's at least 20 of them and they have the new double barreled 105mm gun.

There's the base! And a million helicopters.

Why can't I win?

Fang's done his job so I send him back to base. The WCCs are ready. Time to blot out the sun and rain terror down on our enemies, just like Thor would've done were he alive today to have the chance. :norway:

:drat: That was one lightning bolt and now the research center is gone. This poo poo is amazing.

Another lightning bolt hits the Supply Center. I also managed to get a shot of a lightning bolt harmlessly hitting the ground. They can't all be winners.

:aaa: This is huge. We just blew up the power to the base's mining operation. Unless they can get a Gruz back there they won't be able to collect any more resources. More for us!

And right as that power plant blows up we get a news bulletin from the Moon. Looks like the chassis of our evacuation ship is done. Those LC girls sure do work fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa83t3N0eLE

Here it comes! The ED are crossing into the mission area. This is so tense. What will happen?

:effort:

Oh. Kind of hard to stage an attack when you can't cross the rivers I suppose. Good job on the LC army knocking out all the routes to their base.

Fang I get bored waiting around for the mines to finish their mining so I decide to have some fun. I send Fang out to grab some Cossacks and lure them back to the base.

They don't have a prayer.

Immediately after completing this I get an idea. If I can lure all the choppers over the death machine that is my base defenses the ED base will be completely vulnerable. After a few minutes the air force is gone and the base sits wide open for our counter-attack.

The CPU loves to build repairer units, which can make blowing up buildings and units rather tricky. Fang starts work on these Taiga repairers while the rest of the units come down.

Looks like the Dynasty had a few Cossacks left in the base, but they're nothing against my Meteors (including a new Meteor m3 R!).

My Moon m3s pour into the base and it's all but a formality at this point.

Our new shields hold up very well against the ED's laser weapons.

Just as I suspected, the ED couldn't get a Gruz in the back of the base to rebuild the power plant. They haven't been mining since the lightning storm. I'm going to be getting a nice credit bonus this mission.

My units work on base cleanup while I drop in a Mine. I've seen a very spiffy new weapon on our research tree and I hope I have enough credits for it.

One of the Meteors spot a single Siberia R on the other side of the hills protecting the ED base. Alia said we couldn't win here? I think we already have. Just need to destroy a few stragglers and...

Oh gently caress. Looks like there was more than just one of them. Remember that attack force I showed a bit earlier? Well they're all there. Do I stand and fight or retreat?

Come on is this even a question, of course I fight!

:stare: On second thought maybe I should've retreated. Fang here has 4 HP, a single stray bullet from a chaingun will kill him. I've never seen anyone survive after taking such damage.

Thus, Fang will spend the rest of the mission hiding here. I've flirted once with death today thank you very much. You can also see my research centers off to the left. Which means it's...

new weapons research time! The Sonic Cannon is an energy weapon just like the electro-cannon. Unlike every other weapon in the game it does not require you to target a unit nor does it get stronger with upgrades. The Sonic Cannon sends a shockwave out in a circle from its firing position, hitting any unit in its path. Upgrades to the Sonic Cannon will let it fire faster. This can be very deadly if you put a bunch of units in the center of an enemy formation and order them to attack the ground.

The mission is complete! We'll need to stay on the field to get the resources out of the ED base though.

I send the Meteors to harass the few remaining Pamir tanks. gently caress those guys, they almost killed Fang. Time for them to get shot at without being able to fire back.

The Sonic Cannon is done! And the fine women at the Ixchel Research Center have another educational video for us on their terrifying new weapon. I also begin work on the upgrade to the Sonic Cannon but since the damage stays the same there's no change on our unit screen. Trust me when I say you'll only ever see the upgraded version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNBwvJCaZ6I

The Moons and Fang come over to finish off the last of the "unbeatable" ED attack force. Looks like we proved Alia wrong. :smug:

I send everyone home and with that the Amazon is done!

110 units destroyed, 6 units lost :wow: We kicked rear end yet again!

ANOTHER loving escort mission!? Jesus christ UCS. At least Sombra made a little joke.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...I hope you're keeping a save file for this, so that you can eventually show us the route untaken as well, but I'm looking forward to it either way.

I make a save after each mission back in the main base. The game also autosaves for you once you click on end mission.

We may see some "What if?" missions but I make no promises. You'll have to wait and see!

Plus so far the only hypothetical situations we could do are ones where we lose missions. Since the campaign continues on like you didn't just horribly gently caress up the LC war effort there's not much point.

Nephilm posted:

UCS

I'm torn. On one hand, having Neo on your side is awesome, on the other, I want to see you go up against him because I'm a bad person.

On the subject of good vs bad, it's been several years but I believe the LC take with them some people from unaligned nations if they win? I forget. In general, though, all the factions are looking out for #1 first: the UCS seeks to evacuate its citizens and spares no resources for anyone else, the ED can't evacuate its entire population with their plan so a lot of corruption and doublethink going on there, and due to their lower population, access to lunar resources and expertize with space construction the LC can afford to evacuate themselves and even have a bit of room to spare, I believe.

I never played TMP or LS, though.

Calling any faction good or bad is stretching it but if I had to rank-order the factions as we see them portrayed in Earth 2150 from good to evil it'd go LC, UCS, ED. Maybe. I think any order can be justified, the one I posted is just my interpretation.

Later games add...complexity to the analysis. I don't want to talk about how well each nation can provide for its evacuation fleet until we get a better idea of what each evacuation looks like though.

I'd also prefer to not talk about things that happen in The Moon Project or Lost Souls until we get there. We'll start seeing foreshadowing of things in those games soon and I'd like to keep anyone from getting spoiled.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 11, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I forgot I'm going to be at a party tomorrow so I've extended voting until 11:59 PM EST on January 11th

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

To be honest, my stance on the UCS is "well-intentioned, but tremendously incompetent".

That's a pretty fair characterization. I mean, how many convoys have they created now without escort?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Who should the Lunar Corporation support?

Final vote count:

Eurasian Dynasty: 12
United Civilized States: 15
Comedy Option/No Earth-friends: 1

We will be sticking with the UCS if given a chance to change our alliance.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Another day, another UCS convoy without an escort.

Yikes! Some snark and disdain here from Sombra. I don't think she likes computers.

Here's the UCS convoy. This one is made up of a Mammoth construction vehicle and 3 Harvester Is. Unlike last mission, this time 100% of the convoy must survive.

And here's our ultimate destination. We've got quite a way to go to get there, unlike last time where building a bridge would've solved the whole problem.

On the research front the Regenerator is now available. The Regenerator allows for quick healing of any unit nearby. It's pretty useful and from now on I'll usually park one near the entrance to the base to keep everyone healthy. There are three upgrades but for now we'll stick with just the first version.

Fang has shown up and the convoy will now follow him wherever he goes, just like last time. Unlike last time, I'll be using 2 Meteor m3s for scouts and use the Moons as my strike team. The new energy weapons will let them wallop the enemy.

See? They're blowing up Pamirs even faster now!

Our unit limit increases by 10,000 CR this mission so I take the time to build reinforcements back at HQ, mostly sonic cannon or electro-cannon Moons.

The Phobos will die almost immediately if you are attacked, but they're extremely cheap and fast.

end of Neo's Message posted:

days.

Don't leave me hangin' here, buddy.

Neo End,

>>> Thus spoke Zarathurstra: A nation is the most evil of all evils. <<<

A hacker named Neo who hates machines? Whoa.

His offer is pretty tempting. The chance to re-unite with an old comrade, resources, peace and fancy technology. It'd be easy. The UCS convoy can't fight back.

Just pull the trigger and this war with the ED could be over...

But Fang can't do it. He's no traitor. Maybe in an alternate universe he'd be able to throw aside his country and his promises, but not in this one. We will continue on our mission.

Neo is a really awesome character and regardless of what you choose here he'll be around for the rest of the campaign. Of course if you don't ally with him he is a massive, massive dick and will make you hate everything. But if you do ally with him it's like having god on your side. You'll see.

Our Meteor scouts encounter another group of ED tanks. These ones are double-barreled and could pose a bit of a problem. But they can't shoot aerial units. I'll use the Meteors to soften them up.

This makes them complete pushovers for the rest of the convoy escort. I don't even know if anyone got damaged here. It's a bit unnerving though. Neo's offer is still on the table even though we're slaughtering his new countrymen left and right. The offer won't be withdrawn until we finish our mission.

The scouts run into some Siberia Rs. Sadly they can fire back, so I pull the Meteors back and have the Moons crush the Siberias. Once again, it's pretty easy. This whole mission is incredibly easy actually. Almost like the designers wanted to make sure the whole convoy survives even if you make some mistakes.

To make it so the only way the convoy can be destroyed is if your hand does it.

Yet another ambush for us. These Volgas are heavy amphibious ED units. The Heavy Laser hits just like a regular laser, except harder. Typically you'll only see Volgas used as mobile platforms to launch nuclear missiles. For that reason they're usually high priority targets.

Fortunately these ones aren't carrying nuclear missiles and our air force can quickly knock them out.

We find one final ambush and I was able to get some screenshots of the sonic cannon in action. You see that faint purple circle around the Moon? Any enemy units hit by that circle will take damage. It's extremely easy to take out clustered units but one-on-one the sonic cannon isn't so great due to it's recharge time.

The ambush was right outside the UCS base. Fang could practically see the UCS wall from the ambush location.

end of Sombra's message posted:

I think that answered my question all right. You don't, by chance have more friends of his, uh, caliber do you? I sincerely hope the answer is NO!

Health and happiness!

The alliance offer from Neo is null and void. And Neo confirms what we've suspected: that the AIs of the UCS are completely in control now. Let's hope Neo doesn't totally gently caress us over in the coming missions He will totally gently caress us over in the coming missions.

The Mammoth is building and the Harvesters are harvesting. I hope we made the right choice...

The Regenerator can repair the damage from the battle very quickly. This Moon was almost dead when she got back to HQ and in only a minute she's already back to 75% health.

Not much to say on the score sheet. The Dynasty only had 23 units on the field, I think my suspicions about this mission being an easy win were correct. 23 weak units is nothing at this point.

Sheela's base is under attack? We must save her so we can hear more jokes! :black101:

And for the first time the UCS will be helping us out. Maybe we made the right choice after all :unsmith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

It's time to begin Operation: Save Sheela. Looks like the UCS will finally be helping us out. Thank god. And Sheela still has time to flirt with us despite her imminent doom. :3:

Our base is already pretty well defended. However it is vulnerable to an aerial attack to the north or south so I build some Guardian towers with rocket launchers. They should be able to hold off any lightly armored air units *cough*Cossacks*cough*.

The UCS base isn't as well defended as ours but since it's at the far end of the island I doubt the ED tanks will march all the way down there when we're a much closer target.

Of course, to get in our base the Dynasty will need to move through this narrow canyon. With all those Guardians on our doorstep I think a ground assault is suicide here.

The Lunars in this image are going out to scout for the ED base. The earlier we find it, the earlier we can start harassing the Dynasty.

We now have access to the Crater heavy tank. These are the mainline defensive units of the LC army, as the Crater has more HP than any other unit the LC can make. The Crater will help keep us in long assaults. Right now a prolonged offensive will be too destructive to our Moons to be a legitimate tactic. With Crater tanks we might be able to do a successful head-on attack.

One of our Lunars has discovered the ED base in the northeast corner of the map. She is attacked by a combination of rockets, 105mm double barreled cannons, lasers and chainguns. :stare: The ED have finally started combined arms defense. I can't just throw in my air force or Fang and have the towers crumble.

Fang moves in after the death of our scout and notices the ED, despite understanding the need for different weapon types on their towers, still haven't mastered the whole "build your walls all the way around your base" tactic. The backside of the base is completely exposed. It'd be rude to not let the Dynasty know about their mistakes, wouldn't it?

Two Power Plants, and a few ED units later, the Dynasty sends in some units that can hit back. Fang retreats but the damage has been done: the ED mines have been shut off from the power shortage. Good job Fang!

The Crater is done but we can only mount a banner? :confused:

Heavy tanks in Earth 2150 can only mount heavy weapons (like the Heavy Laser we saw on the Volga last update). We'll need to research the Heavy Rocket Launcher if we want the Crater to be more than a very expensive experience booster.

I am a huge rear end in a top hat. That's the UCS mineral field outside their base. Since they weren't using all of it they won't mind my mine there taking some resources, right? We're all friends here, sharing won't hurt anyone.

All our units from HQ are here and the ED is weak from their mines being shut off so it's time for a true assault. While I'm gathering my units at a rally point outside the valley leading to the LC base, ED Cossacks stumble upon us. But wait, what's that? UCS Gargoyles have come to our rescue! Thanks robot friends :).

The rest of the ED defenders have followed the Gargoyles out, making the UCS assistance not so helpful. The battle is pitched but our new sonic cannon units turn the tide when the ED makes the mistake of walking right into them. Foolish.

Fang is at the vanguard of the attack since he has the strongest shields. Good thing too since the ED has repaired its power situation and added lasers to its mines. The rest of the LC attack focuses on taking out the towers while Fang draws their attacks.

Progress has been made but the defenses of the Eurasian Dynasty are starting to wear us down. I order the army to pull back to the base's northwest corner, the same spot Fang used to infiltrate the base.

From this spot the ED defenses can't hit us. We just need to take out the power plant in the corner of the base and the mines will stop firing and allow us to slowly grind away the base. And with the help of our UCS allies this should b-

OH COME ON! Neo has turned all of the UCS units against their masters. And since we're allied with the UCS that means the robots will be gunning for us too.

Some UCS units stay loyal to their programs and engage the traitor units. This should buy us enough time to consolidate our foothold on the ED base.

With the power plant down, the army begins working on eliminating the power-independent Small Towers. However, with their economy in ruins it's only a matter of time until the ED base falls.

:laffo: The AI for the ED-controlled Harvesters is great. With all these units on the UCS mining fields, the UCS has no way to collect any resources. They'll need to clear the Harvesters before they can recover from the hacking attack.

Our attack continues to push into the heart of the ED base. If we take out the power plants we see there the base will be completely helpless.

Our Heavy Rocket Launcher is done! And with that we add the Crater m1 hR to our unit list. But there are two more Crater upgrades and since we don't need them right now we can get the Craters fully upgraded before we start building them.

The UCS hunts down the few remaining traitor units. I'm glad they dealt with this and I didn't have to divert resources from the assault. If I let up the pressure it'd probably be enough for the ED to bounce back.

I've got two Guardians up in the ED base. The resource field is clear, so I do the sensible thing and drop in a mine.

This is the final push. We just need to destroy the Vehicle Production Center and this mission is over. The ED doesn't have any Gruzs and without the Vehicle Production Center they can't build any more.

The ED launches a desperate attack on our base with the tattered remnant of its air force along with a few stolen Gargoyles. The Guardian towers I built in the northern part of the base pay off here. Without these towers I would've been helpless.

The only thing left in the ED base is this supply center. We destroy it in seconds. All that's left now is mop-up.

One more Crater upgrade.

Not much left to mop-up, just four Small Towers and a Power Plant. Easy pickings.

Hooray we saved Sheela! Everything is hunky-dory.

I'll wait on the battlefield until we've finished upgrading the Crater and the Heavy Rocket Launcher though. I'm sure I could go for a quick dip while we wait for the research to finish :haw:

I've walled off my resource fields so the UCS can't steal my resources. Sharing is a one-way street this mission :colbert:

Our Crater upgrades are done. 1,050 HP? :aaa: This thing can take a beating.

The UCS destroy the last traitorous unit. Whew. Let's hope we don't have to worry about that again.

Our upgraded Heavy Rocket Launcher lets us shoot twice as many rockets, just like it's standard mount cousin. We just need to finish the final Heavy Rocket Launcher upgrade and we can start building some Craters.

:what: All the UCS units are hostile again, and now they're headed right for our base. I think we should listen to our friend Neo and get the hell out of here.

110 units destroyed to only 11 units lost. Fang's the best commander out there. And we collected over 100,000 CR, that'll help out the research and the ship-building.

I stick around in the Main Base to finish up the upgrades and build some units. Here's the fully upgraded Crater m3 hR.

The ED lasers are finally starting to put the hurt on our units. It's time we got a shield recharger to help our units keep their shields topped off.

Our new Crater heavy tank is ready. Isn't she beautiful? :allears:

An Ion Cannon? That sounds bad. I'm glad I have overall command after what happened with the UCS units last time. I'm going to tell the robots to change their passwords for this mission. "humanssuck" is a really bad password for your military AI routines.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

So the Eurasian Dynasty is working on some kind of Ion Cannon and we're here to stop it along with the UCS. I've told the UCS robots to change their passwords to a format that is 20 characters long with at least 6-bit entropy per character stored with a different salt for each server and that can't be found in rainbow tables. This should slow down Neo's hacking attempts!

Math Nerd Explanation
1. Use a random number generator to generate each character from the list of all ASCII printable characters, stopping at length=20
2. Append a unique string to each password for each AI server before storing it
3. Check the hashed password and make sure you haven't selected anything that would appear in lists of pre-computed tables of hashed passwords, if yes then start over

This is complete overkill and it's impossible from a practical standpoint to crack a password generated and stored like this.

Yes, I do have a degree in math and took a course in number theory/cryptography why do you ask? :v:

Sadly we don't have a pre-built base this time. Nor do we have a nice easily defended valley to build in.

I'm only lowering down the power plants here since I have no idea what our terrain looks like and I'd like to avoid bad building placement. I'll wait for the Jupiter to land and use my units to scout.

The UCS wastes no time and sends out a small scouting party to look for the ED base.

They find it rather quickly but are cut down almost instantly when they try to march in the front door.

We'll be beginning our research with the first heavy rocket upgrade. This works just like the standard mount rockets.

Our base is mostly constructed and I used a fancy angle to show off how spread out it is.

The mines are all the way in the front and are very exposed to an attack. I don't like this since our mines can't shoot back like the ED's.

There's a nice ridge to the south (left side of the picture) that should keep any ground units away but we're still vulnerable to an air attack from that direction. Let's fix that.

You can mount heavy weapons on (some) buildings so I throw heavy rockets on the Main Base and Aerial Supply Depot. This should cover our southern flank from any pesky Cossacks.

Here's my solution to the exposed mine issue. ED ground troops will need to move up through this valley to get to my base. 5 Guardian towers should cut any attack off at it's knees. I think the former pilots of those burnt-out unit husks will agree that the valley is a bad way to move up north.

Fang does his harassing thing while I wait for the Jupiter to bring the rest of the army over. I'm going to try to beat this mission without an air force as the map is very tiny and I'm up for a bit of a self-imposed challenge.

Harassment status: smashing success. The ED made a very loose power grid and the destruction of this plant shuts down the Vehicle Production Center. Unfortunately all those rockets hurt so I send Fang back to the defensive line to lick his wounds.

On the way he runs into a very curious unit. This is the Minelayer and it is totally useless against the LC. Why, you ask? Because LC units all hover. Kind of hard to hit landmines when you never touch the ground. They're useful against the UCS (or ED) so Fang has no problem blowing this guy to smithereens.

Ammo upgrades researched, I move to the Special tab to upgrade our Recharger and Regenerator. We saw how useful they've been and with our HQ overflowing with resources there's no reason not to spend a little cash here for the upgrades.

Fang's attack triggers an ED counter and it brings out the Caspian Ion Cannon. The Caspian, just like the Volga is an ED amphibious unit. Unlike the Volga, the Caspian usually mounts an Ion Cannon that can gently caress your day up. The energy weapon attacks a unit's electrical systems and allows ED repairer units to capture the unit. Or pummel you to death while you can't move or shoot back. They're very nasty and if I hadn't already gone 100% shielded I would be doing it this mission. You don't want to lose a strong unit during a retreat because they get disabled.

Fortunately the Caspian can't hold up to a barrage of rockets and electro-cannon bursts and it goes down before it has a chance to go after any of our units.

This little Taiga has found a backdoor into my base. I'm glad it's just one puny Taiga L (which can't hurt buildings anyway) since a major attack force would've been a huge setback here. I build a Guardian to block entrance from the south and call it a day on base defense.

This is the UCS's Plasma Cannon. Do you see how fast the Siberia's hp went down? It looks like it lost about a fifth of its health in just one shot. It's a very strong weapon and you should be very afraid of it. It's not quite the insta-kill the ED laser is on unshielded units, but it's far more effective against shielded units. Do not underestimate these little Tiger Ps, they can and will take out a force many times their size without shields. Good thing the UCS is on our side!

Fang has recovered and I've found a weak spot in the ED base. We can dash right into the back of the base and start wrecking havoc, just like we did in Madagascar. News must not have spread about our last battle yet.

:argh: GOD drat IT! These robots were supposed to be uncrackable! My math skills have clearly failed me :negative:

The UCS traitor army is actually quite strong and the UCS was sending units down to the ED base to join my assault, meaning the ED just got another army for free. I'm going to need to pull back here to make sure they don't waltz right into my base, since we have no defenses in their way.

I hate you so much Neo :mad:

The retreat ended up being pointless as all the UCS units marched down to the ED base to bolster base defenses (you can see two stolen Tiger II Ps here). I move my army back to their advance position and try to draw out the damned plasma guys.

The plasma guys die surprisingly fast and we're able to move right back into our rear assault location.

BOOM! There go the ED Research Centers. Looks like the Ion Cannon won't be getting off the island. With that the base has mostly fallen, and you know the drill by now: Blow up power plants, then anything shooting at you and finally the rest of the buildings.

The ED-controlled UCS units are very into blowing up the UCS Harvesters. Can't say I blame them. How many missions have I won by crippling the enemy's economy now?

The ED production structures are all gone. Time to advance and take out the mines and defensive line.

:drat: They're fighting back pretty hard here. Tons of rockets flying into my units, a Spider P harassing anyone who tries to retreat, more Spider Ps attacking my units, the few remaining Caspian prototypes trying to disable Fang and lasers on the mines are doing a number on everyone's shields. Good thing we used the back door or many of our sisters would've gone to an early grave.

The damaged LC reserves are doing a good job of opening a second attack avenue that will divide ED attention. Or not divide their attention as none of the ED units or structures are attacking them, not even the Heavy Tower with a laser on it that only is in range of one of our Craters.

Once the ED mines and stolen UCS units are down the rest of the base falls in under a minute. And we get some Gargoyles to help out, not that it matters much.

Fang's being very cagey about his past with Neo. What's going on here? We haven't seen this mysteriousness from him.

Although, Sombra has also been acting a bit odd lately. Fang saw a memo about something called PROJECT SUNLIGHT the other day and when he asked she quickly pushed it under a bunch of other papers. I think the LC leadership and Fang are trying to hide things from each other at this point.

Neo is really increasing the strain on this partnership. The Celestial Council is visibly annoyed and after two attacks from Neo who can blame them? Our allies have been unintentionally stabbing us in the back ever since we decided to spurn Neo. We haven't lost a mission due to his shenanigans yet but it's only a matter of time until a large UCS force turns their plasma cannons on us. Once that happens, who knows if the alliance will last.

Our research now turns to the Heavy Electro-Cannon.

The Heavy Electro-Cannon lets us mount a regular weapon on top of the cannon so now we can do 126 damage in a single attack. :stare: I think we just found our shock troops!

I'm not even surprised at this point.

The ED-controlled UCS units are making quick work of the UCS base. It'll only be a few minutes before they head east.

We'll be leaving almost 15,000 CR behind but it's better than risking the safety of any LC sisters at the hands of the evil robot army. I throw what money I can on the Jupiter before I order it back to base.

loving robots.

We "won" this mission but I'm still pissed about losing out on those 15k credits. It's almost half of what we collected! :mad:

Back at base I finish up the upgrade to the Crater m3 hE, allowing it to do 169 damage. This gal is going right at the front of any of our assaults, I just can't say no to that firepower.

rest of the UCS President's message posted:

Destroy the suspected base of Neo in Mozambique, together with all other ED structures.

It's about loving time! Also the President of the UCS is your character in the UCS campaign so this is actually the player giving alternate-player a mission. Weird.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eponymous posted:

That is dickish as hell. If you side with the ED, do you get any similar jerk moves pulled on you?

Nope! In fact Neo gives you a hacked army to play with and keep in one mission. The ED path is far, far less of an rear end in a top hat to you than the UCS path even though you have to deal with plasma cannons.

Bet you all wish you'd voted differently now, eh? :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Byzantine posted:

I'm curious - does the globe for the mission selection change as the campaign goes on? Like, are the ice caps gone now and the seas rising any?

Yep! If you compare the globes you'll notice the early missions had lots of snow everywhere (it was winter after all) and the current missions don't.

Veloxyll posted:

Nope. I voted ED. Tis the other awful goons that are to blame.

Also ouch, 15k not mined. How much cash/how long till Earth explodes?

About 150 days now. The time limit is only really an issue in the ED/UCS campaigns since they're longer.

• Locked thread