Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well then press the first person button. Problem solved.
Were you able to do that on the console version, or was it not a toggle maybe? I had a horrific time trying to control it in third person (or see loot in third person) and sent it back the next day after renting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

One of those T3 mods actually changes the movement to be more like T1/2 instead of the 'weighty' movement they added that I know some people hate. Also modern PCs demolish the loading times so the cut up maps are a hell of a lot less painful than they were at release.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
My copy of Thief 3 on steam basically doesn't have loading screens. I don't even have time to look at them when transitioning. I still am not a huge fan of Thief 3 though. What is this fix for 'weighty' movement? And does it work with the steam version?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

coyo7e posted:

Were you able to do that on the console version, or was it not a toggle maybe? I had a horrific time trying to control it in third person (or see loot in third person) and sent it back the next day after renting it.

Yes, you could play the entire game in first person on both console and PC. In fact, I recommend never using third person ever, but some people like it so it would be a bit silly to bash them for adding an optional feature.

Also I highly recommend the Minimalist mod mentioned in the OP, even on a first playthrough. It basically tweaks the interface and a few other things to make it more like Thief 2.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 28, 2012

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Let me go on the record that I don't recommend the Minimalist mod for a first playthrough. It changes a lot of things that didn't need to be changed; (replaced the health gems with T1/2 health shields, fonts, etc...)

At least try out the game normally before you apply it. Despite the small maps, T3 still has some great level design and atmosphere. It's not as replayable as the first two, maybe, but certainly a good game. One thing the new engine did pretty well, despite all its other flaws, was some great lighting effects.

And I hope it's common knowledge to everyone in this thread already, but Arkane's Dishonored is a pretty good modern Thief successor, at least, it can be played as such.

You can no-kill ghost through the entire game, you have loot totals, and there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQIFoJfgHo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Both versions of the third game let you switch between first-/third-person view. Where people get confused is the fact that the PC version defaulted to first-person and the Xbox version defaulted to third-person "because that's what console gamers like." (Paraphrasing.)

Edit: And both versions of Thief 3 had a gigantic bug that should never have made it out of QA. Anytime you loaded a save, the game would switch the difficulty to the medium option and wouldn't let you adjust it. So if you wanted to play the game on any difficulty other than medium, you had to play the entire game in one sitting. The PC version was quickly patched but Xbox owners were SOL since the original Xbox didn't really have a patching mechanism. It was later corrected in future retail Xbox copies but those who bought it early got shafted.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 29, 2012

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Which key binds would you guys suggest to someone playing the game for the first time? The original ones are kinda terrible.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

Which key binds would you guys suggest to someone playing the game for the first time? The original ones are kinda terrible.

Here's the ones I use: http://www.sendspace.com/file/rq92p8 Just put them in the save folder in your Thief directory and load them in the menu, they'll just be called "My Binds".

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm a big fan of using the numeric keypad for Thief. 8 for moving forward quickly, 5 for moving normally and 2 for backwards, 4,6,6,3 are for strafing and 7&9 for leaning. 0 and enter for crouch and jump and other keys as needed around that area. The general idea is that I can just shift gears up and down as needed. I use my mouse left handed so it might suit better to find an area of the keyboard that suits better if you are using the keyboard with the left hand. Use toggle crouch as you don't want to be holding that key down for hours and hours.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 3, 2013

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Personally, I moved the crouch buttons to the more modernized Ctrl key.

If I remember, by default S is walk forward, while W is run forward. I moved the walk forward to the shift key with ASD being your normal side to side and backwards. If I ever want to approach slowly I either crouch and run forward, which is the rough equivalent of a walk upright, or I occasionally (but rarely) use the shift key. Not perfect but functional.

Finally, by default ~ clears your primary weapon from your selection queue and backspace clears the secondary queue. I think I eventually moved the secondary clear queue to F.

While I'm posting, I might as well give my views on Thief: Deadly Shadows since I've put a few hours into it now. I'd say its a passable game for when it came out, although it's a step back in both the series and for gaming in general. That said, it does look nice. Very moody, if somewhat claustrophobic. Not as bad as I feared and it did make some improvements which were sort of necessary to bring it into the modern age.

Oddly enough, my chief complaint is more philosophical and taste based. I don't even think Thief 3 qualifies as being in the same genre as the first two games. The first two Thief games are in the rarely talked about and even rarer to come by "Immersive Sim" genre. That genre title is kinda like RPG, it doesn't really mean anything anymore. That said, it does have several defining features that I miss in gaming. Sprawling open worlds with multiple paths toward objectives is probably the genre's most defining feature. Thief 3 is a Thief game, but it almost feels like playing a spin-off, rather than a game in the main series because this feature is far more limited.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 3, 2013

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StickySweater posted:

Thief 3 is a Thief game, but it almost feels like playing a spin-off, rather than a game in the main series because this feature is far more limited.

I very much felt this way when I played Thief 3 many years ago, something about it just didn't sit right in a Cheers/Frasier way, for lack of a better example.

On the plus side, playing Dishonored these past few days is basically like playing what I imagine the perfect Thief 4 would be.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yes, you could play the entire game in first person on both console and PC. In fact, I recommend never using third person ever, but some people like it so it would be a bit silly to bash them for adding an optional feature.
Ugh, lame. I rented it from some mom & pop shop at a time when I was not on the internets at all, so I tried everything I could think of without any manual etc, and then got disgusted by the third person I couldn't figure out how to get out of, and took it back. :(

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Ugh, lame. I rented it from some mom & pop shop at a time when I was not on the internets at all, so I tried everything I could think of without any manual etc, and then got disgusted by the third person I couldn't figure out how to get out of, and took it back. :(

One thing that I dislike about Thief 3 is that it showed too much of Garrett.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
This thread reminded me to check out the status of Thi4f, since I haven't seen any news lately. From the official forums it seems they just hired a T4 community manager in november so hopefully something's coming, the game has been in development for like 3+ years now. I am cautiously optimistic.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Lots of theory-crafting here: With regard to Thief 4, as mentioned in the OP, there was this leaked video which is just a piece of a cinematic (which I believe) they were planning on using for E3 last June. A developer, Eric Wong apparently, accidentally posted it or something. So I guess they decided to pull their presentation. My guess is that we'll probably see more this E3. So hopefully 2014 release.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Thief is back on sale on Steam if you're so inclined.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14734/

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
One thing worth mentioning is to be cautious when looking for Thief 2 fan-made missions. If I recall correctly, a semi-infamous mission involves attempting to free a servant from a manor because he has been reduced to eating the owner's faeces; and is essentially some kind of creepy fetish level.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Montalvo posted:

One thing worth mentioning is to be cautious when looking for Thief 2 fan-made missions. If I recall correctly, a semi-infamous mission involves attempting to free a servant from a manor because he has been reduced to eating the owner's faeces; and is essentially some kind of creepy fetish level.
As terrible as that mission is, it is the odd one among more than a thousand, and in no way indicative of the rest.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yeah, it's hardly Nexus-level. You may as well drat all DOOM wads due to the existence of Imp Encounter.

I've been cheerfully playing random FM's during my lunchtimes at work for ages, and the least-safe thing I've come across is very occasional low-poly nudity in about 3 levels ever ( most notably in one T2X map ).

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Yay it's a Thief Thread!

I still remember the first time I played Thief with surround sound speakers, using a new sound card in EAX mode way back in the day. I had never heard sound used that way in a game before and I was just blown away by it.

I must have put in so many hundreds of hours into Thief 1 and 2 + fan missions. Some of the fan missions are better than many of the original levels I think. I have no idea how they do it since the level editor is so lovely and hard to use. I tried making my own little castle once but gave up after a while. It seems like you would have to be really determined to come out with a full-length mission that doesn't suck.

Has anyone tried fan missions for Thief 3? I never tried any, and I'm also ashamed to admit that I've never tried that Doom 3 mod, and I haven't really played Dishonored yet either.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Aufzug Taube! posted:

I must have put in so many hundreds of hours into Thief 1 and 2 + fan missions. Some of the fan missions are better than many of the original levels I think. I have no idea how they do it since the level editor is so lovely and hard to use. I tried making my own little castle once but gave up after a while. It seems like you would have to be really determined to come out with a full-length mission that doesn't suck.

Has anyone tried fan missions for Thief 3? I never tried any, and I'm also ashamed to admit that I've never tried that Doom 3 mod, and I haven't really played Dishonored yet either.
Dromed is an evil old beast, but once you get past the awkward interface and dense terminology, it is logical and surprisingly versatile, meaning if it doesn't provide out-of-the-box support for something you want to do with it, there is almost always a workaround. Most of the time, they are simple hacks (which is how far I got), but if you want to, you can build insane Rube Goldberg machines with it. One notoriously complex mission had tables that secretly worked as relays to transmit signals to other tables and coathangers and couches, and operate things like a branching conversation and event system. The rest is mostly geometry.

T3 missions are less common for multiple reasons, including the problem that its editor relies heavily on imported models, and not just that, it has to be one specific version of one specific modelling app. Some people have done very good work with it; The Bridge and The Cabal series are both very impressive, but I have heard they were both a huge struggle to make. The Dark Mod's custom editor, DarkRadiant is clean and easy to use, and I think even a beginner could make a small, reasonably good-looking mission in a few weeks or so after doing the basic tutorial.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I've played the entirety of Thief 1, 2 and 3 to 100% completion and I've never ever played a Fan Mission. Is the community of Thief 2 missions still going strong?

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

I've played the entirety of Thief 1, 2 and 3 to 100% completion and I've never ever played a Fan Mission. Is the community of Thief 2 missions still going strong?
Yes, and since you apparently liked the original games you really really should play some FMs.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm just getting into the Dark Mod for the first time. Any recommended missions for it?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Sweet!! We will finally start getting some more information about the next Thief (no longer Thi4f) game soon!

http://kotaku.com/5988618/spectacular-thief-4-images-leak-on-russian-site

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I see a hand-to-hand takedown in one of those screenshots. Not a big surprise really, coming from the team that did Deus Ex.

Apart from that it looks pretty good. Thief-like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

New information about Thief later today, actually. :buddy:

I wasn't aware that the same team working on in also did Human Revolution, that makes me pretty excited.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
A reboot, huh? I suppose Thief 3 was a good ending to the story, but I would have liked to play the continuation of the story.

Edit: Very happy its First Person, I did remember people saying it was gonna be mostly based on Third Person, much like Thief 3.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
DXHR was utterly wonderful so I'm very excited about this. Eidos Montreal seem to know what they're doing and Square Enix seem to let them get on with it, thankfully.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Giggily posted:

I wasn't aware that the same team working on in also did Human Revolution, that makes me pretty excited.
They were being done parallel - basically T4 was in pre-production while DX:HR was in production, and people hopped from team to team as needed. I think most of them moved onto T4 once DX:HR was complete, but there's an unrevealed project at the studio as well.

I'm glad they're finally showing something. :)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was just wondering to myself if this game was going to a Human Revolution or Absolution, but hearing that DX:HR's team is on it puts a lot of those fears to rest.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Maybe I'm incredibly dense, but I have no idea if this is a bug or not:

I'm playing Deadly Shadows for the first time, installed the Sneaky Upgrade thing and the game runs fine. When I get to the first non-tutorial mission and I sneak in through the window, I for whatever reason can't open the chest and door in the room with the letter in it. Using right click to interact does something but it doesn't actually allow me to open the stuff.

This is probably something incredibly silly that I'm failing to grasp.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The word 'reboot' sends a cold chill down my spine.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was good enough that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm too cynical and world weary now to let go of all my fear.

If it becomes an action fantasy Deus Ex, if it's not possible to ghost the entire game with NO kills or KOs, if there are loving boss fights, I swear to god I will drive to loving Montreal and PISS ON THEIR loving BUILDING. Thief is sacred, do you hear me? Sacred! :mad:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Heaven forbid there be a boss fight in a Thief game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Hopefully Eidos Montreal will make a satisfying ending this time. This is Thief after all, we don't need three buttons to decide the ending FMV!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Given the biggest criticism by far of Human Revolution was that they outsourced the boss fights and ended up with gameplay and theme-breaking nightmares, I'd hope they're smart enough to not make that mistake twice.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I've been waiting for this announcement for a while. Although my itch hasn't been that strong since Human Revolution and Dishonored.

quote:

Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.

Am I just being paranoid or does this sound like it will be based on branch-based level design as opposed to sandbox levels?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Joda posted:

Am I just being paranoid or does this sound like it will be based on branch-based level design as opposed to sandbox levels?

It may end up being a good game, but I have no hope at all we'll wind up with extremely non-linear levels like the Bank, Shipping and Recieving, Life of the Party, etc.

As far as I can tell those pretty much died with Looking Glass. :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Geight posted:

Given the biggest criticism by far of Human Revolution was that they outsourced the boss fights and ended up with gameplay and theme-breaking nightmares, I'd hope they're smart enough to not make that mistake twice.

The boss fights in Human revolution were indeed terrible. I can only hope that they'll be handled in the same way that The Dark Project handled its, i.e. being a quasi confrontation that is still resolved around stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

It may end up being a good game, but I have no hope at all we'll wind up with extremely non-linear levels like the Bank, Shipping and Recieving, Life of the Party, etc.

As far as I can tell those pretty much died with Looking Glass. :smith:

Thief 3 did have some good levels like The Museum. Sure, it was a shame that it was split up in sections, but it was still as open as the system limitations of the Xbox would allow.

• Locked thread