Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

VisAbsoluta posted:

All those patches and levels work normally with the Steam versions or should I get the GOG ones?

Yeah they work just fine since they are just .exe replacements plus data files.

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

Also recommended reading: feature on the Life of the Party level from Thief 2.

I also disagree with the technology trade-offs that developers have made since Thief 2. I could see it taking another five years before we see another game that features the kind of immersive level design from this game series.

If people are still writing essays about a level ten years later, there's a good chance that it's worth examining what made these games great.

Considering how evil a program DromED is I have nothing but respect for anyone who can wrangle together a great Thief level.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

And linked to this is a panel from QuakeCon discussing Looking Glass. I don't think they ever made a game that didn't totally suck me in. Even their biggest commercial flop Terra Nova was an absolute classic. I mean look at this list of their PC releases:

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
System Shock & System Shock 2 (developed by Irrational)
Flight Unlimited 1*,2 & 3
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
British Open Championship Golf*
Thief 1 & 2

*I've never played their golf game or Flight 1 though so I have no idea how good or bad it they are but Flight 1 was a pretty well regarded I think.

And here is Tribe. A band comprised of some prominent LGS devs from the early 90s including the voice actress of Shodan

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

magimix posted:

After doing three back-to-back playthroughs of Dishonored, and still being hungry for more stealth, it was drat handy for Steam to have a flash-sale on the Thgief games :dance:

As bought from Steam, Thief Gold absolutely refused to play ball, but became more cooperative once I'd put in the latest version of DDFIX. Hell, I even found some re-encoded versions of the cutscenes so I could those in-game without needing to trust dusty old codec packs.

There is one wrinkle, alas[1]; the gamma settings are all messed up - deepest, darkest shadows appearing perfectly well lit, and the like. By default, DDFIX's config has gamma correction enabled, but changing the correction value (be it ingame, or directly in the config) appears to have no impact.

If it comes to it, I'll just adjust system-wide, or my monitor's, settings, but on the off chance, has anyone else run into this gamma-correction issue, and know of a fix? I've had no luck finding any useful leads on the TTLG forums, or elsewhere, so far.

[1] Aside from default key-bindings that tie my fingers in knots! :haw:

From the sounds of it you haven't tried the 1.13 patches that came out recently. They don't need DDFix to be in place anymore so maybe that will work for you.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

Which key binds would you guys suggest to someone playing the game for the first time? The original ones are kinda terrible.

I'm a big fan of using the numeric keypad for Thief. 8 for moving forward quickly, 5 for moving normally and 2 for backwards, 4,6,6,3 are for strafing and 7&9 for leaning. 0 and enter for crouch and jump and other keys as needed around that area. The general idea is that I can just shift gears up and down as needed. I use my mouse left handed so it might suit better to find an area of the keyboard that suits better if you are using the keyboard with the left hand. Use toggle crouch as you don't want to be holding that key down for hours and hours.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 3, 2013

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Ugh, lame. I rented it from some mom & pop shop at a time when I was not on the internets at all, so I tried everything I could think of without any manual etc, and then got disgusted by the third person I couldn't figure out how to get out of, and took it back. :(

One thing that I dislike about Thief 3 is that it showed too much of Garrett.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm just getting into the Dark Mod for the first time. Any recommended missions for it?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

The only boss fights I remember in Thief were a bank vault, a towering symbol of industrial dominance, a twisted funhouse and the world's worst orphanage/insane asylum.

Joda posted:

I've been waiting for this announcement for a while. Although my itch hasn't been that strong since Human Revolution and Dishonored.

Am I just being paranoid or does this sound like it will be based on branch-based level design as opposed to sandbox levels?

Even though from a story point of view there isn't really a need for a fourth Thief I'm still unbelievably stoked that we are getting one as it's my favourite game series of all time. My only reservation is how the stealth system and openness of the levels will work. I liked HR and I think these devs are a really good fit for Thief (Arkane would have been a better fit) but at the same time I really hated the brand of cover based "corridor" stealth that HR had where all I had to do was find the path of barriers that I could roll between until I could find a vent. However given that Thief is explicitly about stealth and the devs have a good respect for the history of the IPs they work with I have strong hopes that this will be a good stealther.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

And here's some screens cribbed from a thread at ttlg.

We already played this level in T3.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm going to give most things the benefit of the doubt except for one thing. No light gem. Taffers. Also that article calls the Keepers a secret society of Thieves. :rolleyes:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I'd actually almost prefer moving on from Garrett and having a new character as long as it was set in the same world and not some goofy reboot. I feel like Garrett's story was over after Thief 3, and I'd have been happy to see a fresh character (as long as it wasn't Lara Croft in leather).

I can't see how anyone could look at the ending of Thief 3 and think for one second that after that Garrett would go back to being a thief. It's one of the very few game trilogy endings that ties things up so neatly that there is no need for anything else to be done with the story.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

One good improvement that Thief 3 brought to the series was the concept of a more fleshed out escape system in the event of getting caught. Combat of course should be the very last resort for the player and should usually mean death but a stealth game really needs something to sit in between the state of being hidden from enemies and from being detected and having your finger on the quick load. To my mind combat in a game like Thief should be a battle between heavily armed guards and a quick witted protagonist armed with the tools and gadgets to outwit and evade his enemies, not to kill or maim.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh I also want to say: eat a dick, lead developer, for this passage:

"Some of the early concept stuff had Garret a little too soft in his approach...I had a lot of problems in the early focus tests because I had turned his movements up too much toward the female spectrum."

What an rear end in a top hat. The dude is supposed to be stealthy, that means moving delicately and gingerly sometimes. These developers literally grabbed a game where precision and delicacy are emphasized and dumped on it as being too "feminine".

I really don't understand the modern game developer's obsession with taking serviceable niche franchises and trying to convert them into smash successes by destroying everything unique about them.

Yeah that whole passage in the article didn't endear me to him in the slightest. I had assumed this game was being developed by the Human Revolution team. Was I wrong to think that?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Jarate posted:

Isn't every anti-hero a sarcastic rear end in a top hat these days? When it comes to Thief 1 and 2, I was always under the impression that Garrett wasn't anything "heroic" at all. I thought Garrett was always portrayed as completely anti-social (the actual anti-social, not just "lonely goth" type thing) and was a rather unidentifiable person and overall lovely human being. I know it's not how to sell a game, really, but playing that kind of character would be way cooler in this day and age of sly, witty, sarcastic smooth-talking anti-heroes.

Okay, maybe it wouldn't make for the brightest of experiences, but it'd sure be refreshing!

Garrett is the kind of character where in trying to avoid being heroic only ends up being even more heroic. I wouldn't say he was anti-social but definitely extremely cynical about the city and it's factions.

One of the deliberate influences on the character are Raymond Chandler detective stories. The entire plot of the original Thief is basically a private detective story where a hard nosed detective has a dame walk into his home to hire him for a job that turns out to have complications.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

One feature I hope them implement is one that was originally planned for Thief 3 where you could set a custom difficulty for a level. So for instance if you wanted to have guards with extra high senses but also wanted to freedom to kill or set a higher loot goal you could.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Thief posted:

I don't understand you guys. It's been years since a game from this series has been made. I'm just happy they're even working on it at all and we're finally getting to see something.

This is my feeling too. I have some minor reservations because I'm an old school Taffer but I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Has the modding community never tried to overhaul Thief 3? You know, manufacture bigger levels from the smaller, and adapt guard routes and AI for the larger levels. Or is 3 still considered untouchable?

'Cause if so, that's a shame. 3 had some really great levels, and some really great concepts for levels which unfortunately never quite managed to work (like the Clock Tower) which could have been excellent with a little bit of tinkering.

If you want something that's graphically a bit like 3 then The Dark Mod is a fairly faithful Doom 3 mod that looks like Thief 3 but plays more like 1 and 2.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

There's another one you can come across near the end of Thief 2 where you can come across Benny and the other guard (does he have a name?) complaining about how on every job they work on they end up knocked out and all the valuables stolen.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm giving these guys a lot of the benefit of the doubt since we haven't seen anything solid yet but that video about Garrett was a bit perplexing when all they should have done was have a guy walk out on a stage, say the words "Stephen Russell bitches" and drop the mike. After watching the rage people had when there was the possibility of the voice actor for Hitman not returning the concept of a new voice actor for Garrett would figuratively solve the energy crisis in the west.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

What Dishonoured does really well is provide paths but is clever enough in how they are presented to you that you never realise they are paths and they make you feel like you have discovered something the designer never intended for you to use. This is partly why I didn't like the stealth game-play in DX:HR because I felt I was proceeding along the path the designer intended me to take if I wanted to be sneaky rather than being a sneaky bastard who is outwitting his opposition.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

How he looks is fairly unimportant. How he sounds though is the big one to wonder about.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

A shrubbery! posted:

I've just installed Thief Gold on Steam, and I have no in-game sound. There's sound in the menus and movies, but once I'm in the level it's silent. Is there something I'm missing?

Try updating to 1.19 or follow the guide for TFix in this TTLG thread as I don't think the Steam version comes with 1.19 installed. If you want enviromental audio in 1.19 and you don't have EAX then install OpenAL and enable it in the options menu.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

A shrubbery! posted:

Verifying the install on Steam re-downloaded a couple of files with no affect to the loss of sound. I'm using TFix (so Thief is running from a new folder outside of Steam), and can't install OpenAL as I don't have a Creative soundcard. Apparently there's a 1.33 patch here but it doesn't recognise that I have Thief installed and won't let me choose a directory, even when I try to run it from inside my Thief folder.

Any other thoughts?

e: Win7 64, 2GB RAM, Core2 CPU, Asus Xonar DG sound card.

I don't know much about Tfix but I would check that the new folder has all the necessary data files in it. In particular res\snd.crf.

I just use 1.19 on it's own so you could try installing 1.19 only within the original folder. Download the 1.19 patch, extract it and copy the New Dark files over the installation as in the installation instructions. You must also find the T1 related files in New_Dark\Doc\T1.7z. Just move the interface.crf file over the original file.

Patch 1.33 is a Thief: the Dark Project patch which pre-dates 1.19 by about a decade so that doesn't apply here. OpenAL shouldn't need a creative card as far as I know. I assume you have tried every combo in the sound options for hardware/software etc.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

A shrubbery! posted:

I've tried reinstalling both vanilla Thief and TFix, to no avail. In any case, TFix seems to only relate to textures and models? There's no sound (footsteps, voices etc) even after a standard Steam install.
I got OpenAL installed, but EAX is greyed out and set to Off in my options menu. There's no difference whether I set Hardware Acceleration on or off, and I don't know what Sound Channels means so I left it alone.

I appreciate the help, hopefully I can play this cool old game soon!

I just fired up the game. Under hardware when I click it I'm getting Off, On and OpenAL as the options. Eax is only enabled when I have OpenAL selected.

I also had a poke around the Thief folder. 1.19 produces a log file so that might be worth looking at. Beyond messing with the number of sound channels to see if that changes anything or editing the sound settings in any of the cam.cfg or cam_ext.cfg files I'm stumped. I'd say TTLG is your best bet for getting help on this.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Rime posted:

I'm replaying it myself for the first time in about 5 years right now, and drat, the Audio is loving amazing. The oppressive bass thrumming while slinking through Ramirez's mansion is just fantastic. Also, Down in the Bonehoard is a far more sprawling and labyrinthine than I remembered. Dear lord are there so many secrets in this level.

I played Bonehoard for the nth time about a fortnight ago and I still found an area I had never been to before. It's one thing that I love about the the originals is that I'm still finding something new each time I come back to them. I think it'll be a sad day for me when I finally do a 100% run of the trilogy.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

A couple of articles from Game Informer looking back at the previous entries and an interview with the new devs talking about the originals

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/18/looking-back-at-one-of-the-series-that-defined-the-stealth-genre.aspx and the video http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/20/eidos-montreal-and-the-overshadowing-thief-legacy.aspx

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Such feminine fingers. Seems like there is a trailer coming next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMFWmwEajVw

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

And no Stephen Russell :smith:

Well there's the disappointing thing that's going to have everyone mad at the game for the next year or so.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

People said the same thing about the Hitman game and it ended up having Bateson be 47 still. The game is still fairly far off from release and VA work doesn't take huge heaps of time.

This is my hope as well. All the interviews that have come out in the past month seem to indicate that they haven't even fully locked down the story for the game so I would seriously doubt that they have anything other basic placeholder voice work done so far.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm pretty sure it's in Thief Gold only.

It is. I spent hours trying to find get into it when I first heard about it and I only had Dark Project at the time. :bang:

Little big world and the blooper level.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I always loved Assassins the most. Sure there are levels that are better designed, that look better and are more ambitious but Assassins is the level that tells you so much about the kind of person Garrett is and how his response to seeing an ally get killed in his place is not to seek pure violent revenge but instead to sneak into the heart of his enemies home and steal the purse from around his belt just to send a message. What's yours is mine in the purest sense of it.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm a bit worried about the repeated mention of the word "steampunk". I never experienced Thief 1 or 2 as "steampunk", it just was a sort of anachronistic, low fantasy world. "Steampunk" to me suggests cliches and nerd pandering and I hope they won't do too much of that.

I've always felt that Thief was more "DC-punk" rather than steampunk. They way that there was power stations at every street corner and basement felt like I was in a world where they mastered electricity but rather than using AC for power transmission they used DC instead with all the issues that comes with that. The steampunk angle is strongest in Metal Age and in many ways since that game is about the forces of technology going out of control they at least presented steampunk as being a threat to the people of the city.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also, getting lost in the sewers.

Everytime I've played that level I have infiltrated the house with the safe before I infiltrated the house with the key to the safe. :doh:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

Amen. It's quite clear from all the interviews, the trailer et al that no one at Eidos Montreal has even considered playing The Dark Project.

What I took from the interviews and info we got over the last month was that the team behind Thief 4 don't really sound all that enthused about doing the game and that they would much rather be working on something else. But that's just me reading between the lines.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Here are links to a couple of Dark Mod Missions I've played in the past month or so that I'd recommend looking at

http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=65 In the North, A decent sized mansion mission with a bunch of fun side objectives. Highly recommended
and
these missions have a continuing storyline in order
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=40 Mandrasola. A short little mission. Not all that great but worth a look since it's loosely linked with the following missions.
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=36 The Knighton's Manor. Standard break into a mansion mission.
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=23 The Beleaguered Fence. A mix of the jailbreak from Cragsclef and Shoalsgate station
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=27 The Glenham Tower, A horror mission
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=38 The Transaction, A city streets mission.
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=61 The Phrase book. Only just started this but it looks like a smalls scale life of the party rooftop mission.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Giggily posted:

Cool, so Romano Orzari is voicing Garret, who who didn't voice the character in your picture (who was voiced by Nolan North). Also the guy was a minor character in Assassin's Creed 2, a game which Nicolas Canton, who makes up the infamous Assassin's Creed developers working on Thief, wasn't involved in.

Also that guy does have a pretty good face/voice for the role.

He's the guy that voiced Ezio's father and played him in the prequel movie they did for AC2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE8xJkK6t4

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Getting mad over a cherry-picked set of developer CVs is a bit silly. I think you could do the same for the teams that work any number of top quality titles.

Speaking as a massive Thief fan I don't we have seen anything at this stage (other than the baffling absence of Stephen Russell) to indicate that the new Thief is going to be a bad game. Both of extended interviews I've heard from the lead designer have been fairly encouraging in indicating that he knows the main focus on the game is about being a master Thief and confirming things like the light gem, no-kills and ghost. And although my personal feeling is that the storyline of the first three games ended so neatly that a fourth game in the series is unnecessary I'm not going to say no to more Thief.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Rime posted:

I'm not sure how listing the lead developers on the project constitutes "Cherry picking", but whatever.

The light gem has been confirmed to not be in the game. It's been replaced by black tinges on the edge of your vision, similar to the blood effect every FPS has replaced a visible health meter with.

Also, you can only lean contextually. So whenever you come up to a corner you'll be prompted to press a button to lean, there is no lean key. Pfah.

Wasn't making any comment at anyone here. :downs: That original list on TTLG reaked of cherry picking since it wasn't even complete for those people.

The gem is confirmed at about 3 minutes in this interview http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2013/03/29/special-edition-podcast-thief.aspx if I'm comprehending Stephane Roy correctly.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

vuohi posted:

I have always liked Soulforge. I originally approached it as a kind of giant Rubik's cube, as it is pretty confusing at the start but hugely rewarding in the end. I am actually pretty surprised by the bad rap that it gets. I did not know it is that divisive, and I might be in the minority camp too.

It looks dull which is a very fair complaint about it but it is another one of those great levels in Thief that challenges you to prove that you are the greatest thief that the world never saw.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

That was pretty poor. They've totally missed the tone of the original character.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

The way those hands stick out was a bit annoying. It's like he wants to play a piano or something. I'm definitely not a fan of the the shadow/light indicator. It's seems a bit too intrusive. Although the garden location they showed off looked fine I did think there wasn't enough emphasis on shadow (or the gamma was up too high) and it was very hard for me to see which spots in the area were actually shadowy enough to hide in.

Also killing is the mark of an amateur.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I appreciated that video a lot more than the earlier one. If only for the fact that whomever was playing it did a lot better job of sneaking around than they did in the first video. I still don't know how to really feel about this game though but at least the focus and UI stuff is all optional.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

There should be more of the game-play demo coming up in ten minutes. http://www.ustream.tv/PlayStation

Edit: It was the same footage as on the gamespot stream.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

They actually had a Thief 3 anticipation forum.

I liked Deadly Shadows a lot and I'm the type of Thief grognard who defends Down in the Bonehoard. One great advantage T3 had over Thief 1&2 was that it gave you escape options when you got caught. The game obviously suffers from tiny levels and some crappy in-engine cutscenes and I can totally understand why many people would not like it but I think it still holds up nowadays and it was a fitting send off to the series.

• Locked thread