Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just a note: The Thief 2 Demo is actually a wholly different (beta) version of Life of the Party. Might be worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's actually a way around the whole no-killing thing: full speed hammerite hammers to the solar plexus usually kill guards without much issue and don't trigger a Game Over.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

It's also the cheatiest way to deal with enemies that I can think of, on the higher difficulty.

You can open up one of the cfg files (Dark.cfg from what I recall) and add a line that removes the no-kill gameovers while still allowing you to play on the higher difficulties which is a bit cheatier.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
People forget that there are essentially 3 or 4 hammers throughout the entirety of Thief 2, they're all replaced with mechanists. The reboot looks like its coming directly off of Thief 1 since Garrett has the eye replacement that he has in Thief 2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

After focus testing your voice, Mr. Russell, we decided to take the character in a different direction. We're looking for someone a little younger, a little more edgy. Thanks for coming in today.

/executive

Stephen Russell did/does a shocking amount of voices for the Thief/System Shock games. About half the guard voices are him. I had an old .mp3 of a bunch of his roles that I dug up a couple years ago: http://tindeck.com/listen/nwjf

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Giggily posted:

Also, the plague was a pretty big part of the original Thief games, wasn't it? If I'm remembering Thief 1 correctly there was a part of the city that was basically completely abandoned because of the super awful magic plague or whatever that broke out there, so the remake isn't exactly sailing in uncharted waters with that.

The Old Quarter was walled off because of a zombie plague actually, because of the Eye in the Hammerite Cathedral.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Contra Calculus posted:

edit: ^^ Wasn't the whole reason zombies existed in the first place due to some mysterious plague?

Zombies aren't Romero zombies where its a disease, they're the risen undead from graves. Haunts are undead Hammerites.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The killing restrictions are on every difficulty but Normal actually, it's only in Thief: DS that you could kill people without failing a mission. Thief: DS was pretty funny because you were made even weaker by not having a sword anymore, the dagger wasn't much of a replacement.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

I'm getting real tired of making the "Well it's a good game, just not what it should be" excuse so I can enjoy all these reboots/remakes from the past couple of years. Stop loving with my memories, assholes.

He has both eyes for fucks sake!

E: I don't want to be that guy but goddamn, don't gently caress with Thief.

If you look closely at some of the pictures he actually has the Hammer eye replacement, it's just not nearly as obvious as it was before.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Garrett in the old games was pretty well equipped for straight-up assassinations, he was just ill-equipped for a fight that wasn't an ambush. Fire arrows and mines did a heap of damage.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 14, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A shrubbery! posted:

I've just installed Thief Gold on Steam, and I have no in-game sound. There's sound in the menus and movies, but once I'm in the level it's silent. Is there something I'm missing?

Is EAX on? That might be your problem.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Stupid fuckers. :mad:

How could they possibly think that was okay?

People said the same thing about the Hitman game and it ended up having Bateson be 47 still. The game is still fairly far off from release and VA work doesn't take huge heaps of time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TerminalSaint posted:

You're going to continue catching poo poo for that, but I at least half agree with you. I thought the level design of the Bonehold was stellar, but the levels that were all zombie/non-human enemies never interested me the same way a good heist did.

Bonehoard really sets you up for the later game and gets you used to dealing with zombies and burricks. Cragscleft is the level I hate the most because the design is supremely uninteresting and there's metal catwalks everywhere.

happyhippy posted:

Er, Deadly Shadows was intentionally designed for the loving consoles at the time instead of the PC, and as they were as powerful as a fly's fart compared to the same PCs at the time, they chopped the game to fit them.
They removed one of the characteristic game mechanics, rope arrows, maps were butchered and loading screens added every building, and exploring was limited to 'where we placed the special grips bricks', all because the original xbox couldn't handle it.

Deadly Shadows was a combination of having to deal with consoles as well as the guy who designed the graphics/lighting engine quitting midway through development. He left everybody in a lurch by practically redesigning the whole thing and so the rest of DX:IW and Deadly Shadows development had to frantically adjust expectations/level designs around a barely workable hack job that was put on top of UE2. Had the guy still been at the company (or if they had more time to deal with his issues/rewrite the thing) we'd have probably have gotten a far better game.

Incidentally the same thing happened to CA with the campaign AI for Rome/Medieval 2, etc. The guy who created it left the company and they really didn't know how to rewrite the whole thing. It's why AI reactions to what you do are completely schizophrenic.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, this is the part I don't get. Fans would've most likely been fine with a new main character, since that's how that story ended.

Test marketing probably showed that having a non-kickass girl protagonist wouldn't sell as many copies. (The kid Garrett catches trying to steal from him at the end of DS is a girl)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

To be honest I, like it seems a lot of people, like Bonehoard a lot more playing it now, older and wiser. But it is still no Life of the Party. :colbert:

There's two Life of the Party's actually. The T2 demo is a different version of the level.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

They would look at all the keys in the key binds setup screen and freak out. Their panic attack might even cause them to faint and require an overnight stay at the hospital. Are you some kind of sick sociopath?

The only thing foreign to new game developers in the original keybinds would be the lean keys. Leaning has basically died off in game development in favor of third person.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FrancisYorkMorgan posted:

Both the Tomb Raider reboot and DmC reboot failed to make a profit and failed to hit sales expectations.

The Tomb Raider reboot failed to hit the (absurdly high expectations for first month sales) sales targets but I highly doubt that it failed to make a profit. Expecting half of a Call of Duty/GTA release in units in the first month was insane.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

It's just not Thief. Was Thief even that popular? Will the name alone really bring in that much more sales?

Thief 2 sold the most at about a million units from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

The same question was asked when they closed LGS in order to keep funneling money into the poo poo sandwich that was Daikatana.

Eidos was actually in a giant bind at the time from what I recall because they couldn't get bank loans either. LGS was never a particularly successful company because they did most of their games on contract and self published a slew of titles that lost them heaps of money (Terra Nova and British Open Golf). Their most successful game was actually Flight Unlimited.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Project1 posted:

Couple of things I liked doing in 1+2: In Thief Gold at least, though they fixed it for 2, was that you could do bunny hops and get faster and faster. You just needed to jump at exactly the same time as you landed, and each jump would have you flying faster each time. You'd start going so fast that it became impossible to jump at the right time, though.

I'm pretty sure you can still do this in 2 since it's also possible in System Shock 2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

What are the highest regarded T2 FMs? I'm generally not a fan of fanfic though, so any levels light on those would be neat.

T2X is pretty much the gold standard of FMs for Thief 2.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

I thought that System Shock thing was about the CGI sequence you get at the start of the game? Unless your engine really sucks, ingame cinematics should be really easy to do.

No, it's the two in-game scripted sequences. One as you're going through engineering's docking bays where you're looking through the Body of the Many as they talk to you and the reveal. The Dark Engine is really really clunky as the result of
a) being primarily designed and created 2/3 years before the ship date of the first Thief game
b) having the game/engine be redesigned in mid/late 1997 because they found out that the gameplay didn't actually work at all
and c) the designer/engine creator for Dark left Looking Glass Studios midway through '96, so the engine was never really fleshed out to its true potential. You can see this in the underwhelming visuals for Thief 1 because the developers didn't realize they had a lot more headroom to do stuff than they thought. It's why you can (and should) import Thief 2's models and textures into Thief 1 since they're either two to three times the number of polys or double the texture size/quality.

The same problem hit the Eidos team when they were creating Invisible War/Thief:DS; the guy who created the dynamic lighting system left after finishing most of it but also redesigned half the game engine. The rest of the development teams had to create the games around that fact. It's why IW is more of a clusterfuck mechanically than Thief: DS in terms of level size/performance since it had an earlier ship date.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

I found this, is this what you're talking about?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131813/postmortem_irrational_games_.php?page=3
Because while it says those cutscenes were pushing the engine beyond what it was capable of, it only sounds like a moderate speed bump and not even close to "half their entire budget and development time".

Now that I looked it up it's actually in reference to the (horrible) ending cinematic in addition to the scripted sequences taking forever to get to work correctly.

quote:

The End? Rewrite.
“Due to miscommunications or differing ideas, a different cinematic video was created from the one that I originally scripted,” says Levine. “It had this elaborate sequence where Shodan would attempt to kill you in a double-cross, as this ‘cyber stinger’ that was in view provided tension of your impending doom.” Upon getting his hands on the video for the ending sequence, Levine didn’t see anything that he wrote in the script. “We didn’t have much to work with. It was like when you look in the cupboard and you’re trying to make soup, and you have a bag of salt and couple of pinto beans.” Working with fixed assets can be extremely challenging especially with limited time and resources as well as fighting the technology back then. Levine remembers, “We had to write to the assets we had at that point, and all we could do was edit it. We completely ran out of time and that cut scene wasn’t the right ending for the game.”
http://irrationalgames.com/insider/what-might-have-been/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jblade posted:

I'm playing the original for the first time and was just wondering - does my money and equipment carry on between levels? I haven't been keeping track but I've been barely using them and I've avoided buying stuff, but if my money isn't kept between levels than it means I can spend with impunity.

No. Buy whatever you want. Notes, however, usually aren't worth buying (if you do, just buy the note, read it/write it down, and then reload and spend your cash on something worthwhile).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Corridor posted:

A friend is going to be interviewing a couple of the original Thief devs from LGS (not sure who exactly, sorry). Any questions I should pass on for him to ask?

How much losing their engine designers ended up screwing them in the long run.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that mod! It's actually really good. I didn't know there was something other than guards vs. thieves, it was actually a really well done game mode.

At least two of the mod map makers for Thievery went onto Arkane from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DeepQantas posted:

You sure you're not thinking of Thief FM authors Purah and Digital Nightfall?

Some Thievery devs went on to Valve but that was for Alien Swarm. (The first level of the new Alien Swarm has the basketball hidden in it. No 0451, tho)

Maybe? It's been a while since I kept up with any of the thief fm/TTLG guys.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Wasteland's UI is an abortion. I couldn't play for more than an hour.

Yeah, Wasteland's beta really, really, really needed way more thought put into stuff like UI. I understand they wanted to see if the underlying systems were working but as it was in December it was pretty horrendous.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Normal difficulty does not allow for any kills from what I recall from the older Thief games. If you're not playing on Hard though you miss a huge amount of content since depending on the level there's either additional areas (Down in the Bonehoard has more areas per difficulty level) or objectives (every level).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hank Morgan posted:

Framed. You have to ghost expert but the lower difficulties give you some leeway with knockouts. Casing the Joint is not a favourite level of mine. It's serviceable but having to play the same mission twice in a row was a major misstep by Looking Glass.

At the time Looking Glass was undergoing funding problems (because they kept getting shafted in contracts/making terrible selling games) so the designs for the latter half of Thief 2 slipped. There was going to be Thief 2: Gold edition but that got canned when Looking Glass couldn't get any additional credit from banks or Eidos (which was dealing with Ion Storm/Daikatana making GBS threads up their finances)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Phoix posted:

edit: I mention Absolution because the hardest difficulty tried to pander to fans of the series but it ended up being a mess.

Yeah, I'd have to say Absolution is more of a failure than this one because it completely destroyed the backbone of the previous games and made it Codename 47 again. THIAF is at least trying to maintain some semblance of stealth mechanics.
Absolution is definitely a much better put together game though, horrible mechanics changes aside.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Paiz posted:

I got THI4F game as part of some AMD reward thing for getting my video card. I already had most of the other games in the offer so it came down to this or Dirt 3 and I chose Thief.

This thread is really making me reconsider my decision.

Considering Dirt 3 is a 3 year old game that had several million keys out in the ether through AMD you probably chose the right game since it's rather easy to just sell THIAF off at $40.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lead Psychiatry posted:

My experience with T3 was different. Most people poo poo on it before it was even released cause of how abominable DX2 was and knew it was the same engine. But once it came out and people realized you were still getting a Thief game despite some changes and drawbacks, it was pretty well accepted.

Yeah, I was a part of TTLG at the time (Looking Glass forums basically) and the amount of vitriol about Thief 3 could be cut with a knife. By about mid/late 2005 however opinion turned around on the game, mostly because there was both mod tools (so that difficulty actually stuck, there was some problem with difficulty settings changing ever so often from what I recall), an SDK released, and texture packs from John P were complete by that time so the game didn't look like warmed over rear end.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I loved Thief 2 till the end but I never got past the Haunted Cathedral in Thief 1. Is there some mod that deletes all the zombies?

Zombies really aren't that bad since you can just beat them until they sleep or outrun them. It's Haunts that will cause you problems.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Also, in Thief 1, they designed the story first and built the levels around it. In Thief 2, they made a bunch of cool levels and shoehorned them into a story. That's why Thief 2 has so many memorable levels.

I don't know, a lot of the Thief 1 levels are ones that immediately spring to mind when I think of great Thief missions as opposed to 2: The Lost City, both Haunted Cathedrals, The Sword (with the great miniature section where Constantine lives) and Undercover/Strange Bedfellows. Thief 2 has roaming the city and the Life of the Party and the Bank, but the last 3 levels are pretty bad compared to the rest of the game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jblade posted:

*miles underground in Area 51, a patrolling MJ12 guard catches a brief sight of a nano-augmented super-soldier*

"What was that?....probably just a homeless guy."

Let's not forget the small fact that DX's AI was pieced together with gum and a prayer so the AI couldn't even detect dead bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Does anybody still play Thievery, the Thief UT99 multiplayer mod? I remember that being pretty fun.

• Locked thread