Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No "taffer" in thread title, thread is doomed to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I gave Thief a try and I'm not sure if it's better to just play through on the higher difficulty levels, I did the first mission on normal but I was kind of pissed that it ended before I could even make an escape. It look like it's kind of like Perfect Dark where higher difficulties have more objectives.
On the highest difficulty you can't kill any humanoids (although, iirc, leading them into monsters works fine,) so you may want to go through on the next to highest first, so you won't have to reload when you gently caress up and drop someone into a pool or off a wall, or just shoot them in the head.

It's worth to playthroughs, just don't try to 100% it on the first play.

happyhippy posted:

Posted this in the last Thief thread, still pissed off they half ruined Thief 3 by doing a quick console money grab on it.
No rope arrows and butchered maps to fix the xbox memory limitations at the time. :dogout:

Only thing that saved it was the story line and the Cradle.
And it was in loving Third Person.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's actually a way around the whole no-killing thing: full speed hammerite hammers to the solar plexus usually kill guards without much issue and don't trigger a Game Over.
You mean picking them up and tossing them? New players may not understand what you're referring to.

It's also the cheatiest way to deal with enemies that I can think of, on the higher difficulty.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't think of hacking ini files to remove basic difficulty settings because I'm not 12 years old any more. I outgrew the need to cheat, aside from the occasional glitch etc that's in-game and possibly fun to use on its own. Throwing hammers gets old really quickly. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well then press the first person button. Problem solved.
Were you able to do that on the console version, or was it not a toggle maybe? I had a horrific time trying to control it in third person (or see loot in third person) and sent it back the next day after renting it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yes, you could play the entire game in first person on both console and PC. In fact, I recommend never using third person ever, but some people like it so it would be a bit silly to bash them for adding an optional feature.
Ugh, lame. I rented it from some mom & pop shop at a time when I was not on the internets at all, so I tried everything I could think of without any manual etc, and then got disgusted by the third person I couldn't figure out how to get out of, and took it back. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really don't like that new Garret's eyes. He looks like a creepy bad guy. The point is supposed to be that he looks like a regular guy.
It's the same Garrett, right? He only has one eye, the other is a weird steampunk monstrosity.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man, with all the edginess Polygon's trying to maintain, you'd think they'd get an editor to clean up their articles. Some of those paragraphs don't even make sense.

quote:

For example, a Broadhead Arrow can knock out a guard, things can be set alight to attract guards' attention with the Noisemaker Arrow and the one we used the most throughout our playthrough was the Water Arrow. Shooting this to open flames will extinguish them to grow the shadows for Garrett to lurk in, yet sometimes you only have a certain amount of time before an AI huffily relights it.
Use your water arrows to grow the shadows. :downs:

Fintilgin posted:

Too bad they can't do hammerhaunts because they got rid of the Hammers! :keke:

(What the gently caress, why would you do that?)
Probably because their hammers were too easy a way to kill everyone without gaining kill/damage credit. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pwnstar posted:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/07/thief-emphasising-credibility-downplaying-accessibility/

This article owns, the interviewer is trolling the game designers the whole time haha. Apparently guards won't just forget they saw Garrett though which is good if its true. Also they have the Betheda excuse of "we made the AI too powerful, we had to tone it down ok!"
It's been so long that I don't remember if the guards in the older games ever completely forgot being alerted, I just remember it was either not-spotted no-kills, space marine, or speedrun. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChibiSoma posted:

Garrett's been taking tips from Rita Repulsa, I see.

:byodood:: "WATER ARROW! MAKE MY SHADOW GROW!"
And lighting stuff on fire with noisemaker arrows.

• Locked thread