Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing I'll ever tell anyone about the Thief series is just loving play Thief 3, don't read about it lest you do what I do and let several years of build up ruin a little level called the Cradle which everyone twitters on about. I think I literally expected a Freddy Kruger glove to escape the screen and castrate me after all I'd read and I ended up a little disappointed. Apart from that it's my favourite PC gaming series.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I bought up the steam bundle last night, I already own all the games physically but I might lose those discs one day, they deserve to be on my steam list dammit. I might have to go back and start re-playing them tonight because playing Dishonored just inevitably makes me want to murder everyone, it's far less time consuming and stressful with those sweet blink powers.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StickySweater posted:

Thief 3 is a Thief game, but it almost feels like playing a spin-off, rather than a game in the main series because this feature is far more limited.

I very much felt this way when I played Thief 3 many years ago, something about it just didn't sit right in a Cheers/Frasier way, for lack of a better example.

On the plus side, playing Dishonored these past few days is basically like playing what I imagine the perfect Thief 4 would be.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All this negative talk just makes me cross my fingers and pray for an HD thief remake someday.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can we just retcon 'Dishonored' to be the new Thief and change Corvo Attano to Garret, and bring back Steven Blum. It would make me stupidly happy at least since it all fits together so well. The powers in Dishonored could be an extension of the Keepers mythical abilities, the grime ridden world of Dunwall would fit right into the game-world of Thief. It makes too much sense.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mitochondritom posted:

Except for the part where Garret wasn't an assassin ?

A fair point but a moot one given there are specific ways to complete assassination missions without killing your targets and killing generic guards is no more a requirement in Dishonored than it is in Thief.

Actually a pretty stupid point given the Thief games had you fighting dinosaurs, humanoid praying mantises and dog sized spiders never mind sticking an arrow in the occasional patrolling lookout. Last I heard, Garret didn't sign up to be a pest control officer.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainamp posted:

Fixed that for you. :ssh:

Haha that's hilarious, Steven Blum is just the default voice actor for everything in my head and my brain must have skipped a beat when I wrote that post. Yes, bring back Stephen Russell, my bad :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think I prefer shadow-based stealth to cover-based stealth, though...although I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe shadows give you an obvious visual cue of where you can and can't hide.

I've heard people say the stealth system in Dishonored is broken in comparison to say Splinter Cell or Thief where it's much clearer when you are hidden.

That argument is shot down pretty quickly when its pointed out you can loving teleport.

• Locked thread