Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I loved the bank level as well. It felt really cool to go straight where the money is.

Shipping and Receiving made a huge impression on me. It seemed like a functional place, rather than a level in a game, something which the Thief games are very good at when they're at their best.

The first game is better at giving me the willies, but the second has more places that I actually want to poke around in. Down in the Bonehoard… I just want to get out ASAP, whereas in the more substantial Thief II levels, I want to see every nook and cranny. They're both great sensations that I wish more games facilitated so well.

:frogsiren: edit:

If you give a poo poo about these games, you should listen to this podcast series: http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I've been playing Thief Gold over the past few days. Goddamn, it's still so good. I just got to the goofy easter egg poo poo in The Sword.

edit: watching that gameplay demonstration now. I like the little dashes you can do in various directions.

I hope they show the map.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There was certainly plenty a "reboot" could have done with the old setting.

I don't get starting fresh if you're going to go totally bland. An oppressive regime and a group of rebel freedom fighters? Everything has that setup. The Keepers, Builders and Pagans were an interesting mish-mash of ideals.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wonder if the horror elements are going to be represented. I think the main mental image that comes up for a lot of people is that of pilfering homes and business and such, but like half of Thief is spent in caves full of scary bullshit.

Some of it really gets under my skin, and that added to the already tense stealth gameplay makes for some serious willies.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The Mage's Tower is kinda interestingly structured.

Song of the Caverns is pretty drat great though, yeah. It's got a crazy dude, it's got some good notes and ambient dialog that really fits the venue, and the layout of the opera house is a good example of a place that feels reasonably laid out like a real place, which is one thing I love about the series. Wine cellars and poo poo.

Also, dropping sandbags on guards from the catwalk over the stage is loving rad.

• Locked thread