Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was someone actually working on a new OP with updated info including our (potential) new server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Was someone actually working on a new OP with updated info including our (potential) new server?

I've got some ideas cooking I just didn't know how much to include, it's kind of awkward right now because the thread starter was our idle kin leader for the last four years or so I believe, and right now one of his officers has control because he can't do his monthly log in, and we don't know if Landroval will fill up and we end up going to Arkenstone instead, and just because I've played since beta doesn't mean I get to choose or direct you guys where to go.

I can make the new thread, but it still doesn't answer if Hoboknife is fine with us voting on a new leader who will log in everyday or at least play a good amount of hours and research the best server to go to. I know Hoboknife responds pretty poorly to this, sorry bud, but I really think if you want the kin to actually be active you need an active leader and no I am not saying it's me.

I could re-do the thread with info on the new server in the week or so once it's closer to time for everyone to decide, but it'd probably just be updated with Beorning and Gondor info and I'd probably include a reference to the new 5 high pop servers and upcoming Minas Tirith late this year in the title instead of a (justified even) complaint about the turn rate on warsteeds, which does not bring many goons into the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Any new thread should probably go up once we know what server we'll end up going to, but a new thread would probably be good regardless.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

I've got some ideas cooking I just didn't know how much to include, it's kind of awkward right now because the thread starter was our idle kin leader for the last four years or so I believe, and right now one of his officers has control because he can't do his monthly log in, and we don't know if Landroval will fill up and we end up going to Arkenstone instead, and just because I've played since beta doesn't mean I get to choose or direct you guys where to go.

I can make the new thread, but it still doesn't answer if Hoboknife is fine with us voting on a new leader who will log in everyday or at least play a good amount of hours and research the best server to go to. I know Hoboknife responds pretty poorly to this, sorry bud, but I really think if you want the kin to actually be active you need an active leader and no I am not saying it's me.

I could re-do the thread with info on the new server in the week or so once it's closer to time for everyone to decide, but it'd probably just be updated with Beorning and Gondor info and I'd probably include a reference to the new 5 high pop servers and upcoming Minas Tirith late this year in the title instead of a (justified even) complaint about the turn rate on warsteeds, which does not bring many goons into the game.

Go for it. Making a new thread would be a great idea.

An active leader is an absolute necessity for any Kin/Guild/Etc. in any MMO. Ain't nobody power trippin' to want for an active leader. If the leader isn't showing up, then usurp, usurp, usurp.

I've always hated some of the overly self deprecating thread titles in MMO HMO. "Wow Clone #57 - Still Alive and Full of Pedobears!" isn't very good advertising.

If Brandywine is opened up, that would still be the best choice, IMO. My home town of Landroval would be the second best choice. It appears that Arkenstone is going to be the new unofficial Oceanic server, FYI for anyone that's interested.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

extra stout posted:

Must be wonderful making comments from the sidelines without actually putting in those efforts yourself...
It's a very different thing when you're the person in the seat. Trying to lead goons in anything is a nearly impossible task. But it's true...I haven't been on a lot in the past year. Between moving, taking on a new job, and generally having more adult things commanding my time I haven't been able to spend a lot of time online. LOTRO is a game that I really enjoy and having a lifetime account this past 9 years or so has worked out to some of the cheapest entertainment possible. There are very few early day goons playing the game anymore, most of the names I know have long since stopped playing.

I've tried multiple things to get goons to coordinate some kind of regular playtime including creating a steam group for people to message each other outside of the game to get more people on and get some of the popularity back, however that takes an exceptional amount of time to keep updated and with little/no interest from others to help keep it up it became something not worth the time. Same thing for logging in, playing for an hour and seeing no one sign on. This has been my routine the past eight months or so....checking in about twice a month to see who's on and if anything new is going on that would warrant being online more. I've tried different times, weekdays, weekends, and the same result each time. I've looked for messages in game, nothing. I check the steam group, nothing. So yeah, I've basically been functioning as a placeholder lately while Turbine has been getting their poo poo in order.

You must seem to have an issue with reading this thread, because when the server debate came up I said I was fine with Landroval as a primary and Gladden as the backup since it wasn't guaranteed that we will be able to transfer where we want to go. I would happily be monitoring the move myself, however I have yet to get a response from Turbine about how to fix this problem of not being able to log in. I've tried reinstalling multiple times both in steam and standalone with the same results. I've tried posted to the lotro forums asking for advice, so far nothing has worked. There's a very good chance I might not ever find the solution to this and not be able to return to the game I've spent a huge amount of time invested in.

Goon hyperbole aside....idle for four years? Go gently caress yourself. The only part in this that bugs me is the same lovely attitude I've seen from others in the past who always think the other side is greener. Yeah I'm not the biggest cheerleader of the game and I don't have endless amount of time to dedicate to it anymore but when I was around I helped my fellow goons. I ran lower instances for people at the drop of a hat, crafted tons of scholar items, and was available in many other ways sharing life stories and hearing real life problems of others at the time. I was fair and unbiased the entire time I was in the kin leader role because I knew that stability was the biggest issue. Years ago, there was a vote for a new leader and they almost turned it into a spergfest of those who wanted it to be a high end raiding kin only and to hell with everyone else. Surprise surprise that they were the first ones to jump ship when Aeon came out. Then I got leadership back to fix what was left and for a short while until Turbine really started crapping it with Rohan things were ok, there were still at least 20-30 people on a night and we ran small raids for fun. With time however, as server pops have shown, interest in the game is declining quickly and it's probably only the diehards that will stay until they shut the servers down. With a lifetime account, I for one plan on staying in the game until I can roam around Minas Tirith (something I've wanted to do since the game came out).

You're more than welcome to start a new thread...

You're more than welcome to elect a new leader, since I will concede the one point that I haven't been on much as of late and I don't know when I will get this technical problem fixed.

If/when I'm ever able to come back, I will do what I always did before...help out other goons and enjoy the game. You'd be surprised how much a 'thank you for keeping the lights on' would have been appreciated. To all my friends among the Nazgun, if I don't get to see you in game again I wish you all a good life. Peace.

• Locked thread