Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Or for a laugh, you could consult this work of revisionist history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

That's loving awesome. It's a shame it's probably shittily written. The guy admits as much on his blog, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You can download the ebook for free. It's not the worst fanfic in the world, but it's no Tolkien, either.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Where do you start seeing the next rank of ores after barrow iron and silver?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Is the in-game store painfully slow for anybody else?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Where do you start seeing the next rank of ores after barrow iron and silver?

Iron and gold veins are in Lone Lands and the area of Breelands near them. Pretty sure North Downs has that tier as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

Iron and gold veins are in Lone Lands and the area of Breelands near them. Pretty sure North Downs has that tier as well.

I've been trekking around the lone lands for the past few hours and haven't seen anything different. The Bree lands on the road there is mostly copper and tin.

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

sassassin posted:

I've been trekking around the lone lands for the past few hours and haven't seen anything different. The Bree lands on the road there is mostly copper and tin.
You don't see rich iron and gold until you get to the right half of Lone-lands or North Downs. Evendim is all rich iron and gold too until you get to the higher level parts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sassassin posted:

Yeah, western Lonelands won't have what you need. To get T3 ore you have to get to the eastern half of the Lonelands (the Ost Guruth area), or any part of the North Downs beyond the Trestlebridge quest areas. My favored rich-iron-grinding spot on my first metalsmith character was Fornost due to being the closest one; just make sure you give the mobs a wide berth if you're not the right level for them yet.

(e:f;b)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Rich iron and gold start showing up in the Lone Lands just east of Weathertop. The North Downs has a river that cuts the zone in half, and you'll find both metals on the east side of the river. There are two obscure, out of the way spots in Breeland where you can find them as well: the southern Barrow Downs, and around the lake in the far northeastern corner of the zone. All of this applies to Yew wood too.

[edit]That's right, Fields of Fornost has all that stuff too.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Resources#Ore
You should start seeing gold once you get into the swamps that are in the eastern third of the Lonelands.
I've seen a lot of gold in the hills east of Tinnudir in Evendim.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 2, 2013

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The Walker posted:

It has been for me. I can't honestly say if it's been something going on for a while since it's only been recent that I've been browsing possible purchases in there.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I started playing this game again yesterday on Brandywine. I saw a guy in the starting area riding a horse :smh:

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

spaceship posted:

I started playing this game again yesterday on Brandywine. I saw a guy in the starting area riding a horse :smh:

What's your name there? I'm Gaab and also started a couple of guys who are just out of the starting zones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cheers, guys. Headed further west and just forged my first gondorian sword (barely an improvement on my purple tier 2 lol).

Everything around here is a little high level for me (two on one is just about doable with grunts), but I'm getting a little sick of doing the fetch and carry work for experience.

I was asked to gather feathers for a pillow earlier. I know there's bears every 12 paces outside, but that seems a little beneath me, right?

edit: Halanderiel of Lindon on Silverlode if anyone spots me. I've seen a few Nazgun wandering around here and there.

edit2: Cheers for the invites (plural). Got very confused and had to go through all my tabs and buttons figuring out what they actually did.

Had no idea I owned 2 horses.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 2, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Walker posted:

As a general rule, for as long as I've been playing (last march), yes, yes it is. Some days are worse than others, on a good day it's fine for ordering stuff but still unpleasant for browsing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Remy Marathe posted:

As a general rule, for as long as I've been playing (last march), yes, yes it is. Some days are worse than others, on a good day it's fine for ordering stuff but still unpleasant for browsing.

For the past few days it's taken ~5 minutes just to load the front page. I'm trying to give money to a F2P game and they aren't letting me :what:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I've seen it that slow (though not lately). Usually the worst load time is up front, so I try to fire it up when I'm about to go afk for a few; once fully loaded it gets much better. Also the confirmation buttons are often invisible until I mouse over them. :downs:

There's probably an administrative reason it's like this, but this is a gorgeous game surrounded by some ridiculously janky extra-game interfaces. The store's one example, their crazy disorganized and often broken website another.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's been pretty reliable for me.

Few seconds to load at worst.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I can't believe they still haven't fixed how choppy the game gets when you're riding on a war-steed, or how you slide backwards when trying to jump over an obstacle like a fence or wall. This was supposedly getting addressed in an update not long after Riders of Rohan came out, but isn't any better yet.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
I've never had the choppiness or rubberbanding. I do know that some people experience this, but it's certainly not everyone. The only time I rubberband is if I don't jump properly over an obstacle, and then it's maybe once a week that it happens. I do wonder why it happens to some people and not others.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Hysterix posted:

I've never had the choppiness or rubberbanding. I do know that some people experience this, but it's certainly not everyone. The only time I rubberband is if I don't jump properly over an obstacle, and then it's maybe once a week that it happens. I do wonder why it happens to some people and not others.

I have a fairly high end computer and a 35mbit internet line, so I highly doubt it's something wrong on my end. This is nearly the only complaint I have about Riders of Rohan, it's otherwise my favorite expansion so far.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The only time I rubberband is when I click on objects to interact with them from far away, forcing my character to run over and then interact, and still only sometimes. And I'm on the opposite side of the world with pretty terrible ping, to boot.

Hunter bow skills often ask me to stop moving if I don't wait about half a second after stopping to start firing off skills, again probably due to my ping though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Where's the best place to find rowan? I levelled in Ered Luin and there was barely any wood anywhere. Now all of a sudden I've got more ash than I can handle and it's all useless because I still need to max out my apprentice woodworking.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Tons in Bree-land.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Is the mail-thingy on thenazgun down? I can't seem to recover my access, and I want to start playing this again. I'm already pre-bored with my Capt'n, so I'll probably be durdling around on Flimbo my burg to see the world from a slightly shorter, more hairy view.

Lars fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 3, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
My Instant Cosby plugin is due for an update and even though there's no sound playing yet, it looks like some requested features are possible with the current API.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hysterix posted:

So far I've only rubberbanded twice when just running around Frostbluff since the holiday stuff started. Compared to how much rubberbanding I had with WoW, SWTOR and STO in a similar time frame, it's barely noticeable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Got any tips for developing my Elf Guardian? I'm thinking about dropping the quick stab move now I'm got the trait from it, cause I have too many buttons. Been spamming to shield swipe to try to get that defensive boost.

Thoughts on heavy shields/light? The armour value increase is massive, but the -2% evade is more significant than I thought (more than halves the overall rate).

Plus the big shields all look like poo poo (why can't I use cosmetic weaponry?)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I hit choppiness in mounted combat on my home computer, and brought it within tolerable bounds by dialing back my graphical settings from "Very High" to just "High." The fact that I have to do this on my high-end computer from 2010, on a game that supposedly will still run on what was a low-end computer in 2007, is kind of inexplicable, but I don't really mind much considering my unassisted eye can't actually tell the difference between those two settings.

I think rubberbanding actually was addressed, because that's only happened to me like twice since the first post-Rohan update hit.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I briefly enjoyed this game during it's beta days and I haven't touched it since, but have a bit of time lately to sink in to it. I'll likely take advantage of the F2P aspect for a while, but once I've tapped out all that I can do for free, what is the best method to pay for content going forward if I end up wanting to stick around?

The link in the OP regarding this seems broken and I can't make too much sense of all the information on the LOTRO market. It seems I can unlock a large range of things with turbine points, or just unlock it all by becoming a VIP which also gives me turbine points. Are there things that a full VIP subscription does not unlock for me? Also, do all the expansions need to be purchased seperately and are not unlocked by the VIP subscription or payable through turbine points?

Basically, I'm attempting to make sense of the payment program and was wondering if anybody knew where I could find a chart or better explanations as to how to get the most out of paying in to this game.

Thanks in advance for clearing up my newbie confusion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Irsh posted:

I briefly enjoyed this game during it's beta days and I haven't touched it since, but have a bit of time lately to sink in to it. I'll likely take advantage of the F2P aspect for a while, but once I've tapped out all that I can do for free, what is the best method to pay for content going forward if I end up wanting to stick around?

The link in the OP regarding this seems broken and I can't make too much sense of all the information on the LOTRO market. It seems I can unlock a large range of things with turbine points, or just unlock it all by becoming a VIP which also gives me turbine points. Are there things that a full VIP subscription does not unlock for me? Also, do all the expansions need to be purchased seperately and are not unlocked by the VIP subscription or payable through turbine points?

Basically, I'm attempting to make sense of the payment program and was wondering if anybody knew where I could find a chart or better explanations as to how to get the most out of paying in to this game.

Thanks in advance for clearing up my newbie confusion.

There's a link halfway down the first page that tries to explain at length how everything works. I ended up as confused as when I started but I'm not a clever man.

Expansions (Moria, Isenguard etc.) must be bought.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Irsh posted:

The link in the OP regarding this seems broken

If you mean the one a few posts in that just loops back to this thread, here it is properly:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically there are two kinds of store items: Content, and boosts. Turbine Points will get you either one. Subscribing will give you all the content in the base game (expansions, as sassassin said, must be bought); as a subscriber, what you will be using your TP on rather than basegame content is either expansions or boosts. Boosts are things like craft recipes granting 1.5x craft XP for ten minutes, or quests earning double reputation bonus for the next 5000 reputation points you earn, or a new legacy for a legendary item, etc etc etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought the triple pack for £15 on steam, and put in £10 for some turbine points and am having a great time with it.

35-ish hours played so far, and I haven't hit any of the expansion content, or spent half the points. Not bad value at all.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Here's a table for expansion prices, note that sale %'s vary (usually from 25%-50% I think) and the actual cash value of your TP will vary according to whether you buy it in bulk and how you valuate those you earned or bought bundled via VIP subscription.

(base editions only)
Cash equivalent estimated at $0.01/TP
code:

Expansion	Full Price	Sale Price	TP	cash equiv	TP @ 35% off	cash equiv
Mines of Moria*	    $20.00	$10.00		2495	$24.95		1622		$16.22
Mirkwood	    $10.00	N/A		695	$6.95		452		$4.52
Rise of Isengard    $20.00	N/A		3495	$34.95		2272		$22.72
>Triple pack	    $40.00	$20.00		unk.			
 --Triple pack includes ALL THREE of the above
Riders of Rohan	$40.00		$20.00		4295	$42.95		2792		$27.92

*Moria boxed can also be bought off of Amazon for $20-$25, purchasing this way also gains you a month of VIP. I think this is a good way for new players to get bumped quickly up to 5 character slots, unlock all classes and make 5 future characters with 5 bags and no wallet cap with their month of VIP. The current 50% off sale and triple pack make it less attractive for now.

Quest Pack prices can be seen here:
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store
If you get the full expansions you can ignore the corresponding quest packs for those.
Quest packs are usually bought with TP, and if you watch the store patiently you can generally get them on sale (same 25%-50% range).

There are also quest pack bundles, two I've seen- Mithril Edition (off Gamestop, $25?) and Path of the Fellowship (not available now?)

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 3, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

loquacius posted:

I hit choppiness in mounted combat on my home computer, and brought it within tolerable bounds by dialing back my graphical settings from "Very High" to just "High." The fact that I have to do this on my high-end computer from 2010, on a game that supposedly will still run on what was a low-end computer in 2007, is kind of inexplicable, but I don't really mind much considering my unassisted eye can't actually tell the difference between those two settings.

I think rubberbanding actually was addressed, because that's only happened to me like twice since the first post-Rohan update hit.

Before Riders of Rohan I hadn't experienced rubber banding in the game since my first character was going through Misty Mountains sometime in 2007. I don't have it happen outside of towns anymore, so I guess that's an improvement. I'll reluctantly try lowering my graphics settings, I don't like to because my computer is built to run any recent game well.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

If you mean the one a few posts in that just loops back to this thread, here it is properly:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions

This is actually great and thanks for it! The broken link I was referencing is in the OP and links to this. I should have spent my time reading the first page instead of skimming the last couple for my answer :doh:

The whole payment program for this game still seems like a clusterfuck. I guess I'll play free first before deciding if I want to invest money, but just using turbine points to get the quests and avoiding the VIP subscriptions seems like my best option. I don't care much for vanity items or the ability to earn exp faster.

Does that triple pack on steam include all the expansion quests or will I have to shell out for 4185 turbine points on top of the steam purchase?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I agree it's a clusterfuck, and yes the full expansions include their own quest packs, so that triple pack should include all of them.

For what it's worth, I've been playing for 9 months and have yet to hit the content from the first expansion- this isn't normal, but my point is that buying the expansions isn't necessarily high priority when you're first trying the game (current sale is awesome though). When I bought Moria it was for the classes and +2 character slots; the perks from the other expansions are less immediately useful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont see how system specs or lowering your graphics will improve rubber banding. Thats a line issue that usually has to do with missed packets. Check the built in connection thing and see if it says you are losing packets, if it is then you should speak with your ISP.

If its not then there is something hosed with LOTROs netcode when it comes to mounted combat. Either way, nothing you can do on your end will fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont see how system specs or lowering your graphics will improve rubber banding. Thats a line issue that usually has to do with missed packets. Check the built in connection thing and see if it says you are losing packets, if it is then you should speak with your ISP.

If its not then there is something hosed with LOTROs netcode when it comes to mounted combat. Either way, nothing you can do on your end will fix it.

That wasn't in reference to the rubberbanding, it was in reference to "choppiness" meaning a low framerate. The rubberbanding is entirely separate.

• Locked thread