Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What's the leveling path these days - Starting Area > Bree > Lone Lands > Evendim > ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've only ever gotten to around 40 the various times I played the game since launch, but I've always rationalised it as The Fellowship are off saving the world - we're running around meanwhile making sure there's a world left to save.

I have to say after a long absence I'm ridiculously impressed with this game now. Started a Man Captain and a Dwarf Guardian and everything is just so much...smoother... than it used to be. I even managed to run around with my Loremaster and decipher some of the skills - as well as why I like them (Crowd control. Cword control everywhere.)

And Forochel is just insanely pretty and and and and... :v:

This game is a Good Game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I just discovered that Staff and Sword is now just a level 40 skill instead of a trait. I am so happy right now. This really is like coming back to an entirely different game to the one I left.

My 41 LM is just sitting in Forochel now waiting until I pull the trigger on subbing again. Meanwhile my Dwarf Guardian (had to make a Dwarf after watching The Hobbit) is just tearing through the levels. I can't believe how quickly I hit 15 where previously I would have had to do every last dreg of quests in Ered Luin to do it.

I also have a 16 Captain but the pace of killing things is so slow that as much as I adore the theme and feel of the class, it's hard to stay inspired to keep going - do Captains have a level where, like LMs, they just suddenly start rocking?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Posting for kin invite. I'm Zarthelion in-game.

Sorted, thanks!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 7, 2013

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for the reminder that this is still 50% off. You get all the MoM questing and some extra, a free mount and 2000 TP. This thing is worth like $40 easily, but it's :10bux:.

Not sure what to buy with my TP though, I grabbed Riding and a universal toolkit on my Captain. I own nothing but Mithril Pack + base content so any suggestions are appreciated. :)

e: Also I'm L20 now, I guess I should get the gently caress out of Breeland and go to Lonelands?

Yeah, 20 is a good time to head off to LL. The Forsaken Inn will be your first quest hub there. I sure hope you like fighting orcs and goblins in brown grasslands. Someone with more confidence should confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that if you buy the quest pack for Evendim and Forochel, that will take you up to the Moria Quest Pack stuff, then it's just expansions all the way to Rohan

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

If you also have some skirms and don't mind playing them a whole lot, sure. I'd recommend Eregion and/or Angmar too, personally, to pick up some of the late-basegame slack.

Eregion, that's what I was missing!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Heard out to Oatbarton (north from the Greenfields in the Shire) at around Level 30 and you'll be good to go. You'll be sent to work on a farm and then on into Evendim proper. Given that the farm isn't combat focused you could probably use it to get you from 29 to 30 but you may then find some of the mobs in Dwaling (the next area) annoying.

YMMV depending on what class you and how you feel about doing stuff underlevelled.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If LL is bumming you out just head over to Oatbarton at 29 and use Skirmishes to fill in any gaps if you hit them.

I personally enjoy Evendim far more than Lone Lands, partly because I'm an altaholic and over the many times I've resubbed to this game and started over I have done LL so. many. times. Even repeatedly running Skirmishes is more enjoyable for me at this point.

Brown is a very good descriptor. The only thing I like about LL is Weathertop.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Drone posted:

Seconding this. I hit 32 guardian last night and (tried to) run one of the 3-man instances for Garth Agarwen with two goons (Zarthelion, 36 captain and Lowthing, 33 hunter). We weren't able to beat the boss without a main healer, but had a really good time trying to figure everything out, dying a lot, and generally being adorable newbies. In the end Hoboknife joined us on his 85 minstrel and ran us through the rest of the instances, and I got myself a sweet teal Eglain shield out of the deal after cashing in my tokens. Instances in this game with goons are a lot of fun.

That was a fantastic time. Although it didn't do much for my leveling outside of one or two pieces of pretty nice gear, I'm really glad I did it. It gave me a taste of playing a Captain in a group setting and being able to tank (a little), heal (a little), DPS (a little) and buff (a lot) was really neat. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to do any of those things well enough to get us through the instance :v: Anyway, now I'm super jazzed to keep leveling my Captain.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Brave New World posted:

I have a Captain on Landroval that needs to run the two GA 3mans pretty soon. The problem is, it seems that both the Ivar fight and Grimbark are constructed in such a way that you absolutely have to have only the "pure" Tank/Heal/DPS classes if you want to run these anywhere near on-level due to their difficulty. It seems that Captains, LMs and maybe Burgs too are the odd man out for both fights.

We only faced Grimbark before Hoboknife helped power us through the instances. Our issue was mostly lacking a healer. A Captain at that level simply can't put out enough healing to keep up with the damage from Grimbark and all of the adds.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I think the only rough spot was levels 20 - 30. Getting Blade of Elendil at 30 means that as a Captain you finally have a decent damage rotation set up (your damage isn't great, but that's fine, you're sturdy like a rock) and all of the disparate little bits of the class just finally click and suddenly you find that even solo you're busting out some amazing feats.

My favourite part of being a Captain is questing somewhere, attacking a mob and then due to wanderers or bad positioning or just plain bad luck, having a bunch of adds get drawn into the fight.

You feel like a goddamn superhero as you grind them down one at a time, carefully managing your recovery abilities and damage abilities to always keep pushing through. Sure, I may scrape through with just a sliver of health, but especially with Last Stand I've weathered some runs of bad luck that would paste another class.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Since a number of people seem to need Tomb of Elendil (a.k.a blade that was broken instance or "that instance with that loving turtle") I'll throw my hat in and say if you see Zarthelion online, I'll be up for it. We can even try to do it legitimately!

(don't do this just get an 85 the rewards outside of drooling at the lore aren't even worth it)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Am I ready to head into Moria proper at 48 or is it better to wait and go in at 50+?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Laptop is in the shop from a defect so I'm not going to be online for a while. Shame, this game was perfect to chill out with after a shift. Does anyone know when Update 10 is due? Hoping at least when I come back the bug for the instance I'm stuck on will be fixed.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm Zarthelion :v:. MIA until my bloody laptop gets out of the repair shop.

(I miss this game :()

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My laptop is finally fixed. Zarthelion rides again, tomorrow! (Update 10 isn't out yet so that quest I'm stuck on is still broken - guess it's just time to grind class quest items).

On the topic of the class quest items, I vaguely recall someone saying that somebody had an alt or mule that had a massive stack of them - who was that and can I pester you for Captain class items out of laziness?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So this is a thing a guy I work with linked me to.

Coursera is one of those online sites that offer courses from various universities.

From Vanderbilt University (which being an Australian I have never heard of) comes the course Online Games: Literature, New Media and Narrative.
Great, so why am I posting about it here?

Their focus of study is Lord of the Rings Online.

Coursera posted:

Intended for both newcomers who are curious about video games and hard-core gamers who want to reflect on their passion, this course will explore what happens to stories, paintings, and films when they become the basis of massively multiplayer online games. The Lord of the Rings trilogy—the novels, films, and video game—are our central example of how “remediation” transforms familiar stories as they move across media. We will study The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) against the backdrop of other games such as Final Fantasy, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Skyrim; narrative theory, intermediality, and game theory; poems by Spenser, Coleridge, Keats, and Browning; fiction by Tolkien and others; and art since the Pre-Raphaelites that has influenced the neo-medievalism of much fantasy literature and gaming.

https://www.coursera.org/course/onlinegames

I signed up. I have no idea what to expect but I'm leaning towards "hilariously awkward navel-gazing".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My laptop is broken again so until I manage to get the time to get that repaired I won't be on. I refuse to let this game go dead before I hit level cap though so I suppose I'd better pull my finger out.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zarthelion here. I'll come back some day and reach the cap. Some day. Busy playing FFXIV now though. I figure the next Hobbit movie will see another short flood of people...

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can't stop slowly, slowly chugging my Captain on Silverlode to cap. Not after the years of halfassedly playing this game I've put in.

I'd be game to make an alt of some kind on another server though if we start getting a goon presence organised.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I might start a Dwarf on Landroval. Now I just need to choose between Hunter, Guardian, Champion and Rune-Keeper. Argh. Race-restrictions for classes annoys the hell out of me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

quote != edit

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't really see the problem with "Dudes on Silverlode stay on Silverlode, roll an alt on Landroval if you want. New dudes may want to roll on Landroval." Nobody is forcing anyone to move anywhere.

The Nazgun on Silverlode isn't really likely at this point to die out. Too many people too heavily invested in their characters there. But if we have an opportunity to start a fresh offshoot, it only seems sensible to do it on a more populated server.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got my warhorse this morning. At long last I finally know what the thread title means. Mounted combat seems okay though. Amazed that after many, many long years I am within stones throw (comparatively) of having a character at level cap.

I wish I could drag more of my friends into playing this chill as hell game. I wish Turbine would just go ahead and make all content pre-Moria free. They still get their expansion revenue, but I think it'd be an easier sell to people than "F2P until about level 30" which sounds like a lot but in the grand scale of the game...

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'll even oust myself and tell you that the only stairs I know of is Camping The Stairs, the goon mumble.

If this is incorrect could it be clarified?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=58

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

With all those changes, maybe one day I'll come back and continue the slow grind of my Captain towards cap.

One day.

One day. :unsmith:

• Locked thread