Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I an idiot or did the game really expect me to trek all the way from Gondarim to Bree on foot? That can't have been right :psyduck:

Is it worth doing the quests in Buckland or should I just head on over to Bree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god the Old Forest I keep getting lost and I'm meant to kill bats bears and wolves but there's only bats everywhere loving bats it's driving me crazy :gonk:

Just like the book, really. Good job, Turbine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Where's the best place to find rowan? I levelled in Ered Luin and there was barely any wood anywhere. Now all of a sudden I've got more ash than I can handle and it's all useless because I still need to max out my apprentice woodworking.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are there any farmer trainers anywhere? I haven't seen one since Celondim and there hasn't been one in Buckland or Bree as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm going to use this opportunity to say how stupid I find the way professions are organised with the whole groups of three things. All it seems to mean is that only 1.5 of your professions are any use to you. I'm a woodsman hunter and right now I'm building up a ton of leather I can't craft with and a whole ton of food that has zero use to me. (And it really annoys me that I can't make both bows and armour grrrrrr). This is the one area where I'm really missing WoW's mechanics.

Remy Marathe posted:

Here's a table for expansion prices, note that sale %'s vary (usually from 25%-50% I think) and the actual cash value of your TP will vary according to whether you buy it in bulk and how you valuate those you earned or bought bundled via VIP subscription.

(base editions only)
Cash equivalent estimated at $0.01/TP
code:

Expansion	Full Price	Sale Price	TP	cash equiv	TP @ 35% off	cash equiv
Mines of Moria*	    $20.00	$10.00		2495	$24.95		1622		$16.22
Mirkwood	    $10.00	N/A		695	$6.95		452		$4.52
Rise of Isengard    $20.00	N/A		3495	$34.95		2272		$22.72
>Triple pack	    $40.00	$20.00		unk.			
 --Triple pack includes ALL THREE of the above
Riders of Rohan	$40.00		$20.00		4295	$42.95		2792		$27.92

*Moria boxed can also be bought off of Amazon for $20-$25, purchasing this way also gains you a month of VIP. I think this is a good way for new players to get bumped quickly up to 5 character slots, unlock all classes and make 5 future characters with 5 bags and no wallet cap with their month of VIP. The current 50% off sale and triple pack make it less attractive for now.

Quest Pack prices can be seen here:
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store
If you get the full expansions you can ignore the corresponding quest packs for those.
Quest packs are usually bought with TP, and if you watch the store patiently you can generally get them on sale (same 25%-50% range).

There are also quest pack bundles, two I've seen- Mithril Edition (off Gamestop, $25?) and Path of the Fellowship (not available now?)

This is just more confusing :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Am I right in thinking you need TP to buy mounts? I picked up the riding skill with my deed points and got all excited and then I was all "...oh"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are hunters as ridiculously easy as I think they are? Or is this game just not that hard?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oxphocker posted:

Hunters are just that easy..that's why there are so many tard hunters, because they get complacent and when they get to raids they still think herp derp shoot bow without actually thinking about raid mechanics.

Eep. As someone who's barely ever done group play before in MMOs, what kinda things would I need to be thinking about? Specific boss mechanics or general skill use?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

loquacius posted:

Bad hunters are the ones who charge into every fight first, pull all the aggro with their bows before the tank can get to them or pull adds with indiscriminate AOEs (champs do that too), and die immediately due to being way too squishy to handle that. Just try to restrain yourself a little until the tank has everything's attention.

Ah, thanks. I like to think I woulda remembered to wait for the tank to grab aggro, but in truth I probably wouldn't.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I still can't find the guys selling farmer recipes in Bree :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tsurupettan posted:

Do people do the Monsters vs Players thing on Silverlode? Because last time I played that poo poo was loads of fuckin' fun.

What exactly is this Monster Play thing anyway? Is it LOTRO's PVP element?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God drat Weathertop looks stunning :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

Died for the third time in 90 hours last night. Thought I could slide down a cliff. I was wrong.

Nobody told me you could actually die by falling off cliffs so I jumped off Weathertop. Thanks a lot, Turbine, there goes my no deaths run! :argh:

In other news, the rescuing Weathertop instance in the epic quest was so good. CAVE TROLL DEATH! :black101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

As it's much harder to play as I normally would (regain focus, set trap, pull 1-2) - instead the NPCs just charge in head first and aggro everything.

And as you're a hunter you can just kill them in 2 seconds before the NPC has a chance to even get hurt.

Sidebar: Traps are the most pointless skill. Why should I need them when everything dies before it reaches me? :smug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brave New World posted:

Somebody still has a lot to learn about being a Hunter! :smug:

Ok, who's bright idea was it to shove a whole ton of elite mobs around Minas Eriol? :gonk:

I still didn't need traps :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Radagast is kind of a dick :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How much XP do you get from an instance run? I've been avoiding them because in WoW you'd get a whole level from one run and I want to take it slow so I can see as much as I can

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Any goons on Dwarrowdelf? Might as well ask.

I'm almost at the end of the F2P content and I don't get paid till next week :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Agamaur is terrible. Who thought it would be a good idea to put in a thick red mist that obscures all your visibility? And the epic questline has strayed away from the story of the book to cover a bunch of made-up stuff I don't really care about. I get that you can't exactly make much from the one chapter that's set in the Lone-lands but it would be nice if it at least felt more integrated with the background lore instead of a total asspull.

Seeing as I've essentially run out of free content I'm gonna go back and knock out some deeds, run through Great Barrows and Garth Agarwen and sort out my crafting skills and then hopefully I'll have money for a quest pack. Is it worth getting North Downs at this point or should I skip straight to Evendim?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 16, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why did nobody tell me I can set my arrows on fire? :black101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How do fellowship skills work? Sometimes I've been in a group and this huge crest will flash up on screen and I have no idea what I'm meant to do with it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are there any quests in the Shire that don't involve trekking halfway across the map? :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

Hah, I just started that one earlier today (then went to do family poo poo). I'll finish it anyways! ALL QUESTS MUST BE FINISHED!

This is just like me. I'm still doing Shire quests even though I'm finished with the quest deed (Hey, that Mathom rep is important!). Yesterday I broke the Olwir instance by killing the stone troll before getting that part of the quest and now it will never be complete :smithicide:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HelloSailorSign posted:

It was lonely on Dwarrowdelf. :(

I asked if people were on Dwarrowdelf. Where were you? :smith:

I'd reroll on Silverlode but I'm still enjoying my main too much and I just got made officer in my mostly-not-annoying kin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you see Kaelros, that's me!

Cool! In the most stunning display of originality ever, I'm Raritysa XD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Except at this point the IP holder loses nothing by selling the MMO rights to Turbine so their only concern is protecting the brand (which Turbine handles very well). As long they're happy with that then LOTRO is basically an excuse for them to get free money

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So I was riding around Bree-lands to grab explorer deeds when I happened upon a locked door and stairway leading south at Ost Baranor. Thing is, there's nothing beyond that stairway on the map, it's at the edge of Bree-lands and everything south of it on the world map is just dead space. I can't even think what would be there based on the book lore. Anyone know what could be down there? Cause it seems like a zone/instance that Turbine have yet to get round to implementing but I don't know what it could possibly be.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I went deed farming in the barrows and now I have so many Barrow-treasures I don't know what to do with them :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's no yew branches anywere. Just ash. Ash as far as the eye can see. Expert woodworking and the instances are all I've got left to do before I get a quest pack and I want to make sure I've got them done before I move on :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Played my first instance today. I ran a few in WoW but never really felt like I knew what was going on, but playing as a hunter means I can see my surroundings and actually understand everything around me. It helps that I'm running at higher than 10fps too.

I only accidentally pulled aggro like, twice :smug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, there are way too many fellowship quests in North Downs. My noble attempt to solo Nan Wathren with my lvl 32 hunter ended halfway through :(

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten how annoying it could be to level professions at higher tiers. Needing 1040xp to master tailoring means another (roughly) 432 pristine hides needed. Fun times. :shepface:

Any profression you can't farm mats for yourself feels like it would be an absolute bitch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have never needed bank storage. In fact, I'd forgotten it existed until just now.

The quest flow in North Downs is crazy. Arrive in Trestlebridge and immediately get a bunch of high level fellowship quests, no pull quest to your next hub and eventually if you find Amon Raith you get a whole load of low level solo quests. It's just bizarre.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Esteldin is pretty rad. Crafting hall AND a class trainer? I never have to wait in Bree for 5 minutes while the city loads again!

In comparison to WoW it feels like this game has a whole lot more to do while you level. In that game all you really have is questing and keeping up with your professions. Whereas here I've also got deeds to work on and faction rep to grind (already kin with Bree and the Eglain!) and skirmishes. It feels like they've taken end game content and given you some of it in every zone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The next NPC to send me halfway across the North Downs to talk to Mincham is getting an arrow shoved up where the sun don't shine :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

I've now finished all the solo quests in all zones of the launch content, and the only zone that I didn't enjoy for the most part was North Downs. And even it had a lot of good stuff in it too, I just should've gave up on trying to do the fellowship quests earlier.

I solo all my fellowship quests like a boss :smug:

Oh god Dol Dinen's coming up :gonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheJetCityFix posted:

Is there really no way to learn mount riding other than to pay real money for lotro coins or whatever?

It's easy to get 95 TP from doing deeds in your starting zone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

You are insane, and could have seen 'all the content' by playing an alt.

Some people enjoy the journey more the destination. I'm doing the same as Zao, I spent about a week doing grey quests in the Shire for the hell of it and it took half of North Downs before I saw a green quest but I'm still loving the game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've decided to call time on the North Downs. I have 7-8 group quests left in my tracker but I'm just gonna let them chill there until I'm a bit higher level. Last night I spent over an hour soloing the Etten Caves without finding any quest objectives I needed and I've had enough. Gonna get my Lone Lands deeds, do a run through Garth Agarwen and then head on to Evendim.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Rarity are you on Silverlode? I like playing with fellow TVIVers.

I'm all alone on Dwarrowdelf :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Good. It's Valentine's Day, people should be spending it with their significant others :colbert:

Oh god I'm single what will I do SO ALONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

Go get em, Bill, you old charmer.

I can feel my ovaries ovulating already.

• Locked thread