Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, as far as plot's concerned I've been content with the idea that PCs are the heroes and we're cleaning up some real bad stuff that pops up in the wake of what's going on and the fellowship was the absolute best heroes imaginable. PCs aren't average everyday peasants, we're just not the 1% the fellowship is. Besides, I (so far) haven't felt as if I'm on janitorial duty. The stuff I'm doing is important too, it's the real war while the fellowship is a secret mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

LOTRO has a story? :wth:

This is the first, and only MMO that has kept me from mindlessly clicking through quest dialogue.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I saw some of the virtues mitigate "tactical damage" but I have no loving idea what that meant. Is there a handy-dandy damage chart with examples on the wiki?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was highly impressed with this game and Steam's version recently. I formatted a week ago and downloaded LotRO again through Steam. The thing that got me was that I didn't have to sit at the launcher waiting for it to patch. It just went right into the game and was all set. It seems like Steam's kept fairly up to date, or that U9 was big enough to warrant updating what Steam has on its servers.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you want level parity with the epics than you should be doing the sidequests in the areas with them, but if you don't mind being a few levels behind them most of the time just run them.

I mind, so I will never be more than one or two levels behind the epic line, and even then it bothers me a lot.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How much lore is there for the 4th age? Is it something they can have free reign with or is it still pretty stringent like where we currently are? I like how deep the lore goes right now and I'd hate for that to disappear.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Sheep posted:

This should really be in the OP. The triple pack/ROR are good deals now that they're on sale for half price, but you also won't even hit the first of any of that content until like 3-4 days of playtime into the game, especially your first go around.

sassassin posted:

As a beginner you could probably buy nothing and be good for the first 40 hours.

Steam's playtime counter continues to make me feel guilty.

100 hours in, primary's level 35...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Backslap posted:

There's nothing wrong with running around with the instance joiner running in the background.

Except when it doesn't find anything after running around for three hours... I have no idea why it's such an unused feature.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I need some mild guidance in Evendium. I did the initial line where you're helping out with a lovely farmer's market, which then directed me to that one village where you act as a process server. From there I went to the colossus and did the various poo poo there, like going to the ruins down the river a ways. That then pointed me to a nearby ranger camp and the only real quest seems to have been the one where you clear the four estates. Now the other guys are pointing me at either the lone-lands or the trollshaws, but I couldn't have possibly seen all Evendium has to offer, especially at a fresh 36. The quests sending me elsewhere seem to be ~40 sooo.....

What I do?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
theregoesmytable :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What was Evendim with one quest at a time is now Evendim with 20 quests at a time. I just had to finish up salamander island and now there's some real progress to be progressed. Dayamn.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just saw the load screen tip, "The first player or fellowship to engage a monster will get credit for defeating it." With the U9 open-tapping that's not true anymore, right?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would save your money, but that's because I'm the kind of guy who doesn't buy anything that isn't a permanent account unlock. I find temporary things or things like that a COMPLETE waste of money. However, I am not in control of your wallet.

The lottery is my.lotro.com/lottery right? Because that's telling me the page doesn't exist.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No one uses the dungeon/instance/skirmish finder/queue and you can sit in it for over an hour without getting results.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It was about Hobbit slot machines, not LotR. We have the latter here in town but the former was apparently cockblocked from ever being made.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lt. Chips posted:

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and-turbine-announce-lord-rings-online%E2%84%A2-helm%E2%80%99s

They officially announced the next expansion. No surprises. It's going to be Helm's Deep and Eastern Rohan. I really need to hurry the hell up and reach the level cap. I have been playing this game for nearly a year and half and my highest character level is 62.

The level cap is going to be 150 by the time we reach Mordor.

I don't get the first bullet point. What the hell do they mean by "starting at level 10"? Are there going to be skirmishesque instances available regarding Helm's Deep for any character level past 10?

I think you mean 155.

So... Is there REALLY a big dust up about this slot machine / Hobbit gifts poo poo or are people here just hilariously satirizing it beyond my ability to grasp satire? Because it's kind of coming across :tinfoil:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe lower level players just play the thousands of orcs. Die, jump into another, die, jump into another, etc.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's more that you get into areas where the quest givers tell you about their super awesome quests but you can't do any of them until you buy that area. It's really not THAT bad, but it is a paywall unless you're willing to grind out TP.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Keeps them dry and out of the sun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Brave New World posted:

I can see how full 12-man raids would be expensive to test and refine. What I don't get is why they aren't at least still doing 6-mans like back in the Moria era.

Here beta server, here's a new raid, tell us how it fares!

I seriously would rather them just go the cheap route of having VIP's only testing new raids and giving feedback than not having raids. That'd also introduce history like, "A few versions ago this room actually opened to the right, but that really threw off the feng shui and so they rotated it. Also those merlocks weren't there earlier. I think that's copyright infringement actually..."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If we actually are doing a GB run I have a 38/39 champ to take. Would we be at level or close or does it scale? Basically I don't want to be too high because I find no fun in going through an instance and just slaughtering everything. Did GA with two of us at level and an 85 and it was alright but still too simple.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

fullTimeLurker posted:

Is level 19 too low? We're currently there, but I'm sure we'll hit 20 in a couple days

I don't know. I actually don't know the levels for any of the instanced content other than GA is ~30.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm betting more on it being a typo. Mordor, Moria, they're similar to type.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

xZAOx posted:

I just figured he was from the future.

I'm changing my vote.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So has everyone outleveled Moria yet? I finally have Nindurred to Moria and I was excited as gently caress about potentially doing the instances on-level but it sounds like I'm about a week or two late and a dollar short. :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pipe dream: Having everyone pick an evening they're free on a chart and finding the overlap and having a dedicated raid night where we run as many as we can. 6-mans, 12-mans, 3-mans, even that 24-man I literally found out about on the website 30 minutes ago!

Nazgun unite! Captain Planet that poo poo!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Oxphocker posted:

Good luck with that..trying to get goons on a schedule is like herding cats.

YOU MEAN COMPLETELY DOABLE!?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If I'm not doing something else I'll hop on. Sounds fun doing a group thing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

bombhand posted:

I would bet that a lot of goons registered in the last few years wouldn't know about stairs, because stairs is stupid.

I'll even oust myself and tell you that the only stairs I know of is Camping The Stairs, the goon mumble.

If this is incorrect could it be clarified?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The link to the ICQ stairs thing is dead, so it's still unexplained. :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just got into Moria for the first time tonight. That place is pretty loving awesome. Shame about the rest of the game though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm watching Giant Bomb's feature where Dude Who Has Never Played An MMO Before is playing through a 30-day WoW trial and Dudes Who Played A Lot Of WoW Years Ago are backseating and talking about how insanely easier they've made WoW over the years. At least we're not alone?

The worst part is that it looks like FUN still, which doesn't sound like any of the post-Moria content you guys are talking about. It's making me REALLY consider jumping ship and paying a monthly (which I have always abhorred) because it has population, tighter mechanics, and group content. Apparently scaling group content!

I've only played LotRO for a little over two years now with giant gaps of months, and in that time I came to love the world and the writing and actually playing the game. It's still incredibly disheartening to see the horrible management being done and watching it go down like this, I can only imagine those of you that've played since the start.

Please fix my LotRO Turbine. You know what we'd love, we always tell you. Take a year off of expansions and new zones and redo EVERYTHING. It'd make everything all right again.

:smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was literally the only one on for the past hour.

Meanwhile: Moria is just pretty loving awesome. I feel like I'm actually exploring poo poo rather than just running around some hills. It's drat awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't believe I have invite privileges but if I find you later and I do I will try.

e: Oh I now have a new avatar. I wonder who and why. Huh.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As I just noticed. And here I thought I made someone mad enough over the internet to waste money on such a thing. :allears:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Moria's so loving awesome. I've had moments in the other parts of the world where I can say, "Wow, that's way far off and I've been there!" but Moria has the best feeling of those since there's often bottomless chasms between points and you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Be online at the same time I am tonight! You should know my sporadic login timing jerk!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you read the Wildstar thread you'll see why it's already almost dead. Poor design choices.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Technically Silverlode but there's rarely more than a couple people on so unless you just want to be on the same server (maybe worth it for those rare bouts of friendly activity though it's a noteworthy sight if you ever see another player) you might go to Brandywine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The main reason we stay on Silverlode is that their character transfer system is more bullshit than mosylt F2P games. I wouldn't say we're happily living there.

It was apparently picked in beta and turns out we picked a low pop server. If you have no intention of playing with us pick any real server. Even if you DO intend to play with goons temper your expectations since the few times I've been on in the past month I've seen at most two other kinsmen.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread