Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The game certainly has changed for the better. It still looks amazing and now plays even better.

Question about leveling: I know with deeds it can be beneficial to complete gray questlines, but early on should I even bother? As in, if I hit level 12, should I finish these drat Shire mail quests or pack up and head to Bree-land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

loquacius posted:

You're not really getting a whole lot out of gray quests other than the deeds (which aren't going anywhere and won't matter for quite a while) and any intrinsic enjoyment you may derive from playing them. On a first character I'd say just move on to Bree-land unless (a) you're having a blast in the Shire and don't want to leave yet (understandable since the Shire is by far the best noob zone) or (b) you just really enjoy mail quests. People love to hate on those things, but as I said multiple times in the old thread they're a great system of breadcrumbs to lead you around the Shire to all the cool little towns which have their own unique touches but which you really have no particular reason to see if you're powergaming.

As plenty of people have said, also, this isn't necessarily the kind of game where you have to rush to endgame, skip scenery, or ignore quest dialogue, so take it at whatever pace you want. I didn't really stop to smell the roses until my third character or so, but it's worth doing whenever you feel like getting around to it.

Sounds good. Im not really approaching it from a powerleveling angle, I was just curious if its like crafting where I should do it as I level or wait to do it later.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and I plan on taking my time. The storyline is also rather unique. For those who are reading this thread wondering on whether or not to play based on story, here it is from a hobbit perspective:

Your character goes through a rather traumatic experience where he/she gets nabbed by brigands working with Angmar to an unknown end. You're saved by Strider and Amdir, but Amdir is wounded by a Morgul blade in the process. You end up in the Man town of Archet which is quickly going all to hell. Long story short: poo poo gets real, real fast. You end up back in the Shire and things seem calm again. Quests involve feeding fat hobbitses, exploring the beauty of the Shire, dealing with wild life... normal daily life. Relaxing. Mild.

As you level, however, it becomes apparent to you and your character that the world is changing. Normal life of loafing and chores gives way to death and darkness. The quests slowly start to open your eyes to the world in conflict and the plight of the Fellowship. There is a natural escalation to it.

It's goddamn amazing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sassassin posted:

And it took them months to get anywhere. 'Won't kill me' isn't what I want from my time tbh.

I'm in Bree now anyway and have found where to buy one, but it's like 500 coins for anything and I spent all my money on auction house heavy armour.

A couple posts up offered the best solution: Go to Winterhome and do the quests. It takes like 15 minutes and some of them are kind of fun. You earn enough tokens through the first cycle of quests to buy a mount straight away.

Also back in my day etc etc.. I played this game at launch before recently coming back and we were all too distracted by the pretty scenery and poo poo Dread mechanics to notice the lack of pony.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sassassin posted:

Sticking some crap up in the auction house and praying it sells by the time I come back. If not will look into whatever Winterhome is (I've spent all my time in Ered Luin and a quick ride through the Shire so far).

Winterhome is the holiday Festival area. I know in the Shire there's an NPC in Michel Delving by the Postmaster that ports you there.

quote:

When do I start getting armour that doesn't look like I'm walking around in long johns?

I forgot what level you unlock Cosmetic slots, but once you do, start trying on armor with the ctrl+click option to see what looks best to wear over your epic pajamas from Barrow-downs. My level 40 Loremaster has been wearing the same level 3 gray plume hat forever because it looks dapper as gently caress with his long gray cloak.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I figure it would be easier to ask this here: Does anyone use the Dungeon Finder pre-85? That might be the only thing I miss about WoW. The dungeon activity was constant. Dungeons and raids are the best part for a lore nerd like me; You encounter all the huge storyline baddies and get closure for said storylines.

Should I even bother until 85? I really need to learn my Warden.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'll ask again:

Yay or nay to using the Instance Joiner for skirms/dungeons before max level?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lars posted:

Thanks for the games last night lowlevel-goons. Had good fun and was doing close to zero actual tanking in that 6-man Siege of Gondamon, then kicking it up a notch in GB. Man, Wardens do require some muscle memory to keep all those Threat over time abilities going.. hope it gets a bit easier with more aoe threat/healdrains further up the levels.

This. I stopped playing my 42 LM to try out a Warden and holy poo poo, even at level 24 i'm constantly watching buff/debuffs durations and planning my next 4 moves.

I hear it gets easier with Masteries. The class is certainly interesting and fun to play with though. I've survived some wild fights.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Wardens do piss-poor damage at low levels. News at 11.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It's definitely an awesome class, I just do poo poo for damage right now. I tried DPSing in ranged stance but I kept loving up the fellowship moves by not being in melee to hit Red. I'm just too power-starved right now.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Somehow, in the storm of memes and jokes, I managed to roll an Elf RK alt named "Notmagic".

:hellyeah:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I am really sorry I missed this. It looks really funny

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zvim posted:

Warden is a different problem altogether, how many gambits are there 40-50? I think when players need to stick a chart on the wall to play the class it is probably going to give a lot of players seizures trying to play it.

Speaking of, 100% XP? Hell yeah, time to get my 45 Warden to 85! Finally got my new laptop and LOTRO reinstalled so it's time to come back.

Playing a Warden pretty much forces you to know a fight backwards and front. Since you have to plan out your moves and account for things BEFORE they happen, you pretty much need a spreadsheet of Gambits relevant to the fight laid out. Threat build -> HoTs -> AoE Heals -> Threat -> HoTs etc etc. When we were doing big skirmishes I was chaining together like 12-15 separate gambits at a time.

It's alot of fun but can be stressful when you have to react quickly to something. I think the base interrupt for Wardens is two or three symbols long. If you're 4 symbols deep into a 5-symbol Gambit and need to interrupt an ability, better hit that dump and muscle memory-or-whatever your interrupt gambit in the window of like 2 seconds! :haw:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ishmael posted:

Hey guys, thought I'd check out LOTRO and see what it's all about. I just joined the Silverlode server as Olev. I usually play as a healy type, so giving Minstrel a shot. If any officers come online, shoot me an invite :) Looking forward to checking it all out.

For your sake I hope they changed the Shire quests. Assuming you picked a Hobbit (you did, didn't you?), of course.

I'm Dustybones, 47 Dude Warden returning from a long, unwilling absence. It's an awesome game and they're making some quality-of-life changes here soon. Welcome!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ishmael posted:

I'm doin an Elf. Is hobbit the way to go on a Minst?

Not for any other reason than a fat hobbit with a lute healing people with a jaunty tune is awesome.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alright, coming back to check out the changes and holy poo poo my bars are all messed up. Any 95 Wardens have any advice for the new trait trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Evil Fluffy posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/19/world-of-warcraft-still-a-1b-powerhouse-even-as-subscription-mmos-decline/

I'm still skeptical as all gently caress about the numbers in that article, but if Lotro brought in 104 million in 2014 there's not enough cocaine in the world to make WB want to shut down Lotro. If Lotro's operating expenses are more than 20 million I'd be completely shocked. If the MMO brought in even 50 million last year and made 'only' ten million or so in profit there'd need to be a really compelling thing to get execs to even think of shutting it down. It apparently made more money than EVE Online did and that's a game with several hundred thousand subscribers.

Infinite Crisis always looked awful though and it was either that or Guardians of Middle Earth that was the really big resource stealer for Lotro. In an ideal world IC's shutdown was followed with "...and we're allocating as many of those people to Lotro as is feasible to do" but this is the gaming industry so pretty much everyone involved was probably fired in a big office wide meeting while IT locked them out of everything the night before.

However unless the revenue for Lotro that came out last year is completely made up, there's no way WB would get rid of it. A F2P with an understaffed crew bringing in 100 million dollars? That's margins that most games will never come close to seeing.

Almost cried bullshit on that list until I realized FFXIV hadn't relaunched by then.

I loved playing this game with you guys and I hope it does well. It could use an engine revamp real bad, but otherwise I had a good time clowning around with goons as a Warden. If I had patience for MMOs still I'd probably still be playing. If those numbers are legit I'm glad it still has (tiny bird) legs to stand on.

• Locked thread