Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Momo Commando someone was selling on SAMart. Kinda ricy, but I just one want that's small. Having a flat bottom helps even more.

The off-center tab on my horn button has the ground symbol. Maybe that one plugs up to the black wire in the hub? The hub has a copper ring on the back side, which I presume grounds it. To finish off, plug the hot wire from the column into the center of the horn button? This leaves the chrome ring unplugged which I assume is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kimbo305 posted:

The Momo Commando someone was selling on SAMart. Kinda ricy, but I just one want that's small. Having a flat bottom helps even more.

The off-center tab on my horn button has the ground symbol. Maybe that one plugs up to the black wire in the hub? The hub has a copper ring on the back side, which I presume grounds it. To finish off, plug the hot wire from the column into the center of the horn button? This leaves the chrome ring unplugged which I assume is fine.

Sounds ok to me. I'd probably unplug the battery and triple check everything with a multimeter before hooking the battery back up just to be paranoid.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

GutBomb posted:

The RX8 autos really aren't so bad if you do your spirited driving with tiptronic. There's no kickdown. All of the auto RX8s (even the unfortunate 4 speed model like I have from '05) have tiptronic and paddle shifters.

My big problem with Tiptronics and autos in general has never been kickdown (Of course I've never driven an auto RX-8 hard), but the fact that when you let off the gas or downshift, the car just keeps coasting thanks to the torque converter. There's no way to engine brake properly at all. I just stick autos in D, and drive em like a granny.

The auto RX-8 I drove before buying my stick shift certainly was plenty fun on the upshifts in Tiptronic mode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SocketSeven posted:

My big problem with Tiptronics and autos in general has never been kickdown (Of course I've never driven an auto RX-8 hard), but the fact that when you let off the gas or downshift, the car just keeps coasting thanks to the torque converter. There's no way to engine brake properly at all. I just stick autos in D, and drive em like a granny.

The auto RX-8 I drove before buying my stick shift certainly was plenty fun on the upshifts in Tiptronic mode.

In 3rd and 4th there's definitely a very smooth coast but in 2nd it catches and slows down fairly well.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So the prices of FD RX-7s (in the SF bay anyway) seem to have come down a lot in the last 2 years or so. I used to always see them between $15k and $20k but now they're like $9k to $12k (which is incidentally the price of an RX-8 with similar miles).

They all have north of 100k miles and look a little tired. How much trouble am I in for?

So, FD vs RX-8 as a cheap-ish track car and occasional grocery getter? I'm far, far less excited about the RX-8, but I assume it handles better and might be more reliable than the FD.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
What's the deal with RX-8 prices these days, anyway? They seem way too low for what the car is (or at least what I understand it to be). Just the fuel efficiency numbers driving people away?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

an audible groan posted:

What's the deal with RX-8 prices these days, anyway? They seem way too low for what the car is (or at least what I understand it to be). Just the fuel efficiency numbers driving people away?

Aren't they also known for engine issues if not well maintained? Also they're kind of ugly. :smith:
IIRC the Mazda upped the powertrain warranty to 8 years ... so I figure alot of '08s have come out of warranty now and might be on their last legs (if the engine hasn't been replaced)? (I'm not sure if the average buyer is doing this kind of science)

e: I meant to say "a lot of '04s have come out of warranty"

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 30, 2013

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
I've been looking at the upkeep stuff and it doesn't seem THAT bad (coming from 80s german motronic nightmare). Apparently if the engine has been replaced you're good to go, otherwise just get a compression test, though that could get expensive if you're seriously shopping for them. And I think they look good :colbert:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
For an FD, you are probably looking at rebuilding the turbos, possibly rebuilding the engine, refreshing the suspension, and dealing with whatever stupid mods the previous owners did.

As far as I know, only the early RX-8s had engine issues, an '08 should be fine. Still fun, a little bit more practical. I'd probably go for a RX-8 over a FD, unless I was planning on spending 20k to build the FD up into a track car or something.

I think RX-8 look great until you look at the back. The rear window seems too short to me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Has this been posted yet?

Not many words are required:

OK, words: 13b, BMW rearend, hashtagholyshit

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

clutchpuck posted:

Release clutch, buy new rear tire.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

EightBit posted:

Release clutch, get re-incarnated.

Fixed that for you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I was trying to figure out how you'd even sit on that thing without some part of it trying to eat / incinerate you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Winter killed my FC's battery. I jumped it and then drove it around for a long while, but at low RPMs, the alternator had trouble powering everything. I fear electrical gremlins, given the cold soldering issues that I inherited when I bought it :(.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Winter killed my FC's battery. I jumped it and then drove it around for a long while, but at low RPMs, the alternator had trouble powering everything. I fear electrical gremlins, given the cold soldering issues that I inherited when I bought it :(.

Hey dead Mazda battery buddy. :respek:

I'm afraid to take the Deka off the motorcycle charger and see if I can get the Miata out of the snowbank it lives in. Even though the charger (now) says it's OK I'm worried that I'm gonna be stuck with buying a new battery.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Hog Obituary posted:

So the prices of FD RX-7s (in the SF bay anyway) seem to have come down a lot in the last 2 years or so. I used to always see them between $15k and $20k but now they're like $9k to $12k (which is incidentally the price of an RX-8 with similar miles).

They all have north of 100k miles and look a little tired. How much trouble am I in for?

So, FD vs RX-8 as a cheap-ish track car and occasional grocery getter? I'm far, far less excited about the RX-8, but I assume it handles better and might be more reliable than the FD.

Now that my brain has stopped exploding, let's go over what you will need to do to a 100k FD.

First off- if the engine has not been rebuilt and the turbos are original, prepare to spend $6-8k fixing this. This includes having to clean the injectors, replace the fuel filter above the loving diff, tons of gaskets, oil metering lines, all engine block coolant hoses- might as well do the waterpump/thermostat while your at it. We haven't even gotten to the rats nest, turbo control solinoids, or crispy as gently caress wiring harness. Make that $10k.
Next up- Suspension, every bushing is going to be shot. The struts will be blown and springs weak. The top hats will also be blow, the swaybar endlinks shot and mounts bent.
If it is a 93- The interior plastics will be peeling, the passenger door handle broken. The glove box may or may not close.
If it has the stock cooling system still, prepare to spend $600 replacing it with a good radiator/ast/oem hoses.

The main befit the RX8 has is the engine rebuild will be only real expense compared to a 20yr old car like the FD.

Why do I love these cars again?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 30, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone know where I might be able to find some publications, papers, or just equations on how to draft the form the rotor path takes? I think once I figure that out, it will be easier than designing a V8. The "simplicity" of a rotary would even allow me to build a prototype.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

the spyder posted:

Now that my brain has stopped exploding, let's go over what you will need to do to a 100k FD.

First off- if the engine has not been rebuilt and the turbos are original, prepare to spend $6-8k fixing this.
Next up- Suspension, every bushing is going to be shot.
If it is a 93- The interior plastics will be shot.
If it has the stock cooling system still, prepare to spend $600 replacing it with a good radiator/ast/oem hoses.

The main befit the RX8 has is the engine rebuild will be only real expense compared to a 20yr old car like the FD.

So what you're saying is I should just buy a C5

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Hog Obituary posted:

No. Yes. gently caress. Long day.

You could be insane like me and take a shell, 20b, widebody it, and track it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hog Obituary posted:

If driving feel is what you're looking for, the C5 doesn't have it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

the spyder posted:

How many laps before you have to rebuild it? :v:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some publications, papers, or just equations on how to draft the form the rotor path takes? I think once I figure that out, it will be easier than designing a V8. The "simplicity" of a rotary would even allow me to build a prototype.

Mazda has some, but I don't know of any off hand. Looking up hypotrochoid stuff in a high level math textbook might also help.

I thought FSAE didn't allow rotaries?

Hog Obituary posted:

Sounds like you want a generic track car that is easy to own rather than a rotary, in that case then sure, get the C5. You probably won't be disappointed. If you do, actually dive it on the street like it should be, too many Vette owners show off the looks but don't actually drive em. As the spider says, you have to be a bit insane to own a rotary, but if that's your thing, then you get immense satisfaction from it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

the spyder posted:

And blow the gently caress outta the water anything that tries you on. 20B powered RX7's or RX8's are deeply impressively mindblowing fast.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

clutchpuck posted:

:stare: This would be unusably loud

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Brigdh posted:

Mazda has some, but I don't know of any off hand. Looking up hypotrochoid stuff in a high level math textbook might also help.

I thought FSAE didn't allow rotaries?

I have seen it stated on other forums. I'm not sure how they got that information but the rules don't make any specific mention of it. Unless it counts as a two stroke, which it shouldn't. Whether I can or can't I still want to design one.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

rcman50166 posted:

I have seen it stated on other forums. I'm not sure how they got that information but the rules don't make any specific mention of it. Unless it counts as a two stroke, which it shouldn't. Whether I can or can't I still want to design one.

Literally the first rule in the IC engine section:

FSAE 2013 Rule IC1.1.1 posted:

The engine(s) used to power the car must be a piston engine(s) using a four-stroke primary heat cycle with a displacement not exceeding 610cc per cycle...

Unless you feel like arguing with the design judges about what defines a piston as opposed to a rotor I think you're out of luck. :(

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

jammyozzy posted:

Literally the first rule in the IC engine section:

Unless you feel like arguing with the design judges about what defines a piston as opposed to a rotor I think you're out of luck. :(

Oh well, all it means is that I'm going to design it for the displacement I want. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

parid
Mar 18, 2004

the spyder posted:

First off- if the engine has not been rebuilt and the turbos are original, prepare to spend $6-8k fixing this. This includes having to clean the injectors, replace the fuel filter above the loving diff, tons of gaskets, oil metering lines, all engine block coolant hoses- might as well do the waterpump/thermostat while your at it. We haven't even gotten to the rats nest, turbo control solinoids, or crispy as gently caress wiring harness. Make that $10k.
Next up- Suspension, every bushing is going to be shot. The struts will be blown and springs weak. The top hats will also be blow, the swaybar endlinks shot and mounts bent.
If it is a 93- The interior plastics will be peeling, the passenger door handle broken. The glove box may or may not close.

Why do I love these cars again?

If you look hard, you might be able to find a car that's had most of this done. It's a fine line between mod abuse and respectful maintenance but they exist. For example, I'm considering selling mine. Avoid any car that shows signs if ignorant ownership. Parts are far too expensive to make financial sense for "restoration". Just find a complete car and save a boat load of time and money.

Even after everything wrong has been "fixed", other things will continue to go wrong. Its not bad but you will need to spend more time with this car than most other cars. Parts are harder to find and more expensive than normal. Time has left these cars behind. They were fast at the time and now.. not so much. If you did a quarter mile drag race with a stock new v6 mustang you would be neck and neck the whole way.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well all I really want is a 2-seat or 2+2 coupe of predictable reliability* and modest power that I can track cheaply. I'm pretty close to going back to a Miata except I never really did fit in it right. I'd have to go through the whole roll bar, seat lowering, hard top, mess again... and well, I kinda hate convertibles.

I used to lust after the FD, but the RX-8 seems like a practical alternative as long as its reliable. I mostly just really really hate those huge rounded fender flares (same as on the NC miata, CX-7, etc)

* By predictable reliability I mean it won't be like "surprise! i'm breaking down mid-corner just because i feel like it even though you just recently went through the whole car"

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Have you driven an rx8 yet? I'd still take my FD over one. Personally, the better looks + more power + less weight was well worth the extra trouble. Don't daily drive an FD though. If you have to daily drive, the RX8 is the better choice.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

parid posted:

Have you driven an rx8 yet? I'd still take my FD over one. Personally, the better looks + more power + less weight was well worth the extra trouble. Don't daily drive an FD though. If you have to daily drive, the RX8 is the better choice.

I haven't driven one yet and I don't daily drive. In fact I sold my last car (evo) because I realized I hardly ever drove it... but well, grass is always greener and all that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

stevobob posted:

:stare: This would be unusably loud

Obviously you're not a golfer. :v:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rcman50166 posted:

After doing a little research on the matter, I have found a publication on how to design the rotor and accompanying housing. It is below if anyone is interested in the matter:

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~kenneth-weston/chapter7.pdf

There is also a bunch on apex seal design etc.

This brings me back to the other question now, how big should I make it? I was thinking a 2 rotor 600cc version. The logic is just because smaller than a 13b would make it cheaper and potentially more useful as a project engine. 600cc is admittedly still the FSAE displacement limit even though it's against the rules to use a rotary. Part of me wants to dream :allears:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
600cc would be a good choice I think, both because it's FSAE sized and because you could theoretically replace a good number of motorbike engines with it. :madmax:

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Are you planning on staying with the same R/E as current day rotary's, same / similar dishing? side or peripheral intake / exhaust?

If your really looking to build one, id look for a copy of "The Wankel Engine" by Jan P. Norbye ISBN 0-8019-5591-2. Ebay seems to have a bunch for under $50, which is a steal given the massive amount of information it contains.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

rotard posted:

Are you planning on staying with the same R/E as current day rotary's, same / similar dishing? side or peripheral intake / exhaust?

If your really looking to build one, id look for a copy of "The Wankel Engine" by Jan P. Norbye ISBN 0-8019-5591-2. Ebay seems to have a bunch for under $50, which is a steal given the massive amount of information it contains.

I haven't read into much other than how to make the geometries of housing and rotor. So simply put, I'm not sure yet. But hey, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll need learning material to catch up to Mazda's 50 years of rotary research.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Got in it last night, and there was enough juice to power lights and belt, but not to crank. Just gave up (it was a nice yellow top) and threw in the battery I bought. First start, the horn started beeping itself, irregularly at first and then nonstop. I turned it off and tried again, still blaring. I gave it a rest, thinking the Mazda curse had settled in, but one last try and the horn stayed off. I wonder where the issue is.

I drove around for a long time. Managed to run into an NSX and tell an old guy his ride was awesome.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Got in it last night, and there was enough juice to power lights and belt, but not to crank. Just gave up (it was a nice yellow top) and threw in the battery I bought. First start, the horn started beeping itself, irregularly at first and then nonstop. I turned it off and tried again, still blaring. I gave it a rest, thinking the Mazda curse had settled in, but one last try and the horn stayed off. I wonder where the issue is.

I drove around for a long time. Managed to run into an NSX and tell an old guy his ride was awesome.

Bad ground messing with the body computer and setting off the theft system?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3597355844.html

This FD's been on CL for a while now... it's not the cleanest (peeling clearcoat, meh interior), but the owner claims a full engine rebuild (for $14k :wtc:). Based on the ad, I would have expected it to have sold quickly, but I assume something isn't right. Assuming he has paperwork on the rebuild and a PPI checks out... well... how bad could it be? :haw:

quote:

Im selling 1994 Mazda Rx7 Fd. Clean Title. 159xxx miles. 5speed manual. Power windows and sunroof. I have many service records for the car. In 2007 we did a full engine rebuilt at specialty rotary mechanic shop and payed over 14k for it. Changed all the seals, upgraded turbos, much more. Title in hand. Looking to sell for 8500. This car is super fast with twin turbos rotary motor. Mechanically the car is in great condition. The car is 19 years old and there are some cosmetic flaws but nothing to major. Interior is clean just tear in driver seat from normal wear and tear. Please only serious inquires. Please do not low ball there some on craigslist that are asking a lot more then I am. Cash in hand for test drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Hog Obituary posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3597355844.html

This FD's been on CL for a while now... it's not the cleanest (peeling clearcoat, meh interior), but the owner claims a full engine rebuild (for $14k :wtc:). Based on the ad, I would have expected it to have sold quickly, but I assume something isn't right. Assuming he has paperwork on the rebuild and a PPI checks out... well... how bad could it be? :haw:

Seems to be about $2k under the market value for beat up FDs around me, and I think I see rust on the interior (WTF?), so something seems up. Assuming the engine is good, and the rust is just a bad picture, you'd probably have to still refresh the entire suspension, probably want to refresh the rats nest, maybe address some cooling issues FDs are known for, and a bunch of maintenance items that you'd normally have to do for a 19 year old car.

If you are seriously looking for a FD, I know one that is basically a collectors item, '93 base with 10k miles on it and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line for $25k

• Locked thread