Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I liked The Wailing a lot, but it did get to a point where it felt like a bit of a chore to watch. Also Oldboy sits firmly as my second favorite of the Vengeance trilogy with Mr. being first and Lady third. I haven't seen those in a while though. So is Train to Busan worth a glance? I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I thought Train to Busan was overlong, and didn't do anything different than what's been done in a dozen of other, better, zombie movies before it. Not bad at all, but not really great.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think it did some interesting things with the characters, their relationships, and the condensed time frame of only being a day. I think it's the best character work in zombie film since 28 Days Later. They're archetypes, but in an effectively deployed way.

Has anyone seen the animated prequel the director of it made?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Train to Busan is pretty good.

The Wailing is slow and loooooong. I think I liked it in the end? But it was basically not what I expected at all, and I'm still not quite sure if I 'got it'. The first half hour does an OK job of seeming like it's building up to something but then the tone and pacing goes all over the place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'd describe The Wailing as a horror epic. Really loving long but I think it earns its length. It feels so confident and dynamic in every scene.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think it did some interesting things with the characters, their relationships, and the condensed time frame of only being a day. I think it's the best character work in zombie film since 28 Days Later. They're archetypes, but in an effectively deployed way.

Has anyone seen the animated prequel the director of it made?

i saw it. its fine. its very ugly cause it has that no budget cgi look, but the actual direction is decent enough and the plot entertained me. its very mean though, even for a korean movie

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Davincie posted:

i saw it. its fine. its very ugly cause it has that no budget cgi look, but the actual direction is decent enough and the plot entertained me. its very mean though, even for a korean movie

There was only one shot which I thought really looked bad the train catching on fire.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thiiink you're talking about busan there, but my memory of either isn't really clear enough to confirm. anyway, here's what seoul station looks like at its worst

https://i.imgur.com/hMTWRO0.mp4

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Davincie posted:

i thiiink you're talking about busan there, but my memory of either isn't really clear enough to confirm. anyway, here's what seoul station looks like at its worst

what is this from? It's an amazing likeness

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's from seoul station, the animated prequel to train to busan

e: i just got that you thought he meant the actual station because yeah it is a good likeness lol

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

This is a ways off yet (June 28th) but I just found out Netflix gave Bong Joon-ho a bunch of money to make a monster movie: https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/02/first-trailer-for-okja-proves-that-giant-monsters-can-always-get-weirder/

I'm (perhaps wistfully) thinking of some kind of cross between The Host and Mother, but whatever happens I'm excited!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Baby written by Jon Ronson? But why is Tilda Swinton in it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
She was in Snowpiercer and it says it's the same director, guess she was happy to work with him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
why not draw a smileyserious-face on a plastic bottle of "lite" mayonnaise instead

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:rolleyes:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just saw The Handmaiden

:stare::fh:

Besides the usual stuff you might expect from Park Chan-wook's films, I was really impressed with how romantic, and touching some of the scenes were.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is Stoker worth checking out? I've seen and enjoyed the majority of Park's other movies, but the trailer for this one didn't really grab me.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Is Stoker worth checking out? I've seen and enjoyed the majority of Park's other movies, but the trailer for this one didn't really grab me.

Stoker is really a beautiful film (almost) wasted on an amateur (quite literally - it's the guy from Prisonbreak) screenwriter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lester Shy posted:

Which ones didn't you like?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DeimosRising posted:

Which ones didn't you like?

I liked the Vengeance trilogy and loved The Handmaiden, but Thirst was a little too aimless for me (or maybe it just went over my head). Stoker, JSA and I'm a Cyborg are the only ones I'm missing from his "main" filmography.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Lester Shy posted:

I liked the Vengeance trilogy and loved The Handmaiden, but Thirst was a little too aimless for me (or maybe it just went over my head). Stoker, JSA and I'm a Cyborg are the only ones I'm missing from his "main" filmography.

I'm a huge Park Chan Wook (and Song Gang Ho) fanboy, and I couldn't get into stoker even tho I started it like four times. Maybe because ti's in English? The cyborg one too me a couple tries to get started, but Stoker just never caught.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lester Shy posted:

It's not particularly similar to Thirst except that it deals with a similar psychological subject. It probably most resembles The Handmaiden or JSA in style.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's a very subtle and slow movie but I liked it a lot. But then again I love Thirst and consider it to be one of the best vampire movies of recent years so :shrug: I recommend giving Stoker a go at least.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Stare-Out posted:

It's a very subtle and slow movie but I liked it a lot. But then again I love Thirst and consider it to be one of the best vampire movies of recent years so :shrug: I recommend giving Stoker a go at least.

Thirst is his best movie I think

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Stoker is more enjoyable the more you have watched Hitchcock

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
edit: wrong korea thread

ladron fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 25, 2017

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

pigdog posted:

Just saw The Handmaiden

:stare::fh:

Besides the usual stuff you might expect from Park Chan-wook's films, I was really impressed with how romantic, and touching some of the scenes were.

Yeah, after being recommended this and being told it has a few sex scenes in it. I watched it with my in-laws.

Big mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

I'm a little late to the party but I recently saw this and am blown away by how good the trailer is.

Decided to get caught up on Bong Joon Ho. I saw The Host and Memories of Murder when the first came out. Decided to watch my friend's bluray of Snowpiercer. Holy poo poo was that good.

Not having seen Mother or Barking Dogs, is it fair to say there's an ongoing theme of lying and mind control in his films? I guess the Host was inspired by a scandal where the US Army dumped a bunch of formaldehyde into the water system, and in the film the government lies about the danger to the public. Memories of Murder was a film about confirmation bias. Snowpiercer was about several institutions perpetuating themselves by indoctrinating and lying to the public. Okja looks like it will be tackling how corporations use marketing to help us avoid confronting the realities of where meat comes from.

• Locked thread