Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
As the other two posts mentioned above, Memories of Murder is pretty much a must see film.

Anyone else find this year to be particularly lacking in quality SK films? There's definitely a few good ones, but overall, it seemed to be a pretty weak year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Has anyone seen A Better Tomorrow? It's a John Woo remake apparently. I've been on a drought for good Korean gangster flicks and I heard about this one some time ago but it received less than favorable reviews. I am glad I gave it a chance since I quite liked it. To no surprise here, the film was gorgeous to look at. Korean cinema seems to be ahead of the pack in terms of cinematography. If anyone has Netflix, it's on there right now (well, American Netflix).

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

What I haven't seen.

Let's see here:

Marathon (drama): Based on a true story about a kid with autism that has an extreme passion for running. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.

Voice of a Murderer (crime/thriller): I saw this and quite liked it. It's about a couple that loses their son by a kidnapper and is tormented with phone calls. If you dig crime/thrillers, I recommend you watch it.

Seven Days (crime/thriller): Another crime/thriller revolving around a lawyer who has a kidnapped daughter. In order to save her, she must defend a guilty man. I thought that was intriguing enough but when it unravels as to the reason why I was somewhat blown away.

No Doubt (drama): This is quite a controversial film. It deals with a sex offender (pedophile) in a small village and a disappearing child. All fingers point to him, but did he have anything to do with it? I found it to be a fascinating watch and how the director handled the script. I don't know anyone else besides myself that has seen it, so I would like someone else to give it a watch and hear their thoughts.

Sunny (dramedy): One of the better Korean films of last year. It's like the Korean version of Now & Then but a lot better. It's a coming of age drama that I highly recommend.

A Brand New Life (drama): Based on a true story about a little girl (same one from The Man from Nowhere) abandoned by her father and left in an orphanage.

Bedevilled (find out for yourself): Have you really not seen this? If not, watch it. Do not look up anything on this movie at all. It's better to know as little as possible before seeing it. I think it's still on Netflix.

Speed Scandal (dramedy): A radio DJ in his 30's learns he may be a grandfather after a young girl with a baby claims to be his daughter. It's a drama/comedy but a good one that offers quite a few laughs.

71 Into the Fire (war): Based on a true story about student-soldiers that hold back a brigade of enemies in a vacant school in the Korean war. I'm a sucker for war films and I loved this.

Cyrano Agency (rom-com): An agency that helps losers find love. They have steps and guidelines that they talk the people through via an ear piece while on their dates. It's sort of an odd premise, but it makes a good rom-com.

Sa-rang (A Love)(crime/drama/romance): Highly underrated gangster flick with a love story interwoven within. Probably one of my favorite Korean films and if you are a sucker for a gangster flick like I am, don't miss out on this.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 1, 2013

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to get started on watching a bunch of the recommendations this week.

And speaking of limited US releases, a reminder that :siren:Oldboy is playing tomorrow and Tuesday at select Cineplex theaters.

Woah! Thanks for the heads-up! The Cineplex here is playing Battle Royale as well. Awesome!

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I seem to be the only person in this thread thus far that thought Stoker was poo poo. First of all, the choices used for shots were rather odd and as well as the framing. I find it difficult to describe, but many scenes had characters framed with a hell of a lot of head room and wide shots with two characters speaking to one another rather than cutting back and forth. It just looked very awkward to me. The cinematography as a whole was rubbish, really. I am surprised no one else has mentioned this. There are a few neat/stylized shots, but it isn't enough to make up for the rest of it.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 23, 2013

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

I really disliked Spring, Summer, etc etc, because of how slow and quiet it was, would I still like Pieta?

Hard to say... It's rather slow moving as well. It's also incredibly bleak and emotionally exhausting. It's certainly worth a look.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh thanks, I should have thought to check that site first. I'll make sure I bookmark it so I can do that in the future. Was the review on there written by you?

I first heard about it on these forums, flashy_mcflash in the horror thread mentioned it as being one of the horror selections from the Fantasia festival this summer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030395&pagenumber=402&perpage=40#post416930130

I bookmark a lot of interesting movies I hear about, to get a hold of them if they ever become available. This one looks like it's going to be tough to find though.

Here's a snippet from a review from Twitchfilm.com: "The Weight has not only already secured a place in my best of list for the year, but it may have just become one of my new favorite films of all time."

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/07/fantasia-2013-boozie-movies-reviews-the-weight-dude-its-pretty-heavy.html

I definitely want to check it out now.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Thanks. None of them are available on netflix except rough cut. I'll check the local market and see if I can get it there. I'll make myself a long list for when I next visit Sydney (large Korean population, so lots of shops).

"A Love" is one of the better "gangster" Korean films that I've seen. I very much enjoyed it.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Just a heads up... Joon-ho Bong will be doing an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit on the 25th of this month. Here's the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/28p046/bong_joonho_ama_dirwrit_of_snowpiercer_mother_the/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

So, this is hilarious. I had no idea, but there's a Korean version of SNL (Saturday Night Live). They recently did a spoof of 50 Shades of Grey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0yHAtqe4k

• Locked thread