Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Got some very interesting recommendations from this thread, thanks goons! I've been missing watching some good SK movies lately, especially after coming off I Saw The Devil, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, Thirst and Chaser, all of which I enjoyed immensely. Thirst is one of my favorite vampire films ever, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just finished The Man From Nowhere and quite enjoyed it even though it was a bit run-of-the-mill at times. The tracking shot through the window was impressive as balls though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, Memories of Murder is the one to beat out of all the SK movies I've ever seen. I've been a fan of Song Kang-ho for a long while now and man does he shine in this. I'm so glad he's getting so much international recognition ever since The Host and now with the upcoming Snowpiercer.

This movie also reminded me a lot of David Fincher's Zodiac (which I adore), despite it coming out four years after Memories of Murder. Recommending the hell out of this in case someone hasn't seen it yet.

E: I also watched Frontline, which was tremendously well executed war film about a war I didn't really know much about. It dipped into some slightly cliché war movie melodrama a few times but otherwise, particularly when it came to the battle scenes, was really solid.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't seen it but it sounds like you're talking about The Raid: Redemption.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, at least that might mean the director's cut might get a wider release on Blu-Ray. I'm not going to waste time on Weinstein's version.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just rewatched Memories of Murder and yup, still an excellent loving movie. Are there any other movies similar to it out there worth a watch? Primarily talking about quality thrillers/crime procedurals here.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

It's not strictly a crime procedural, but from the same director you have Mother which is also a murder mystery.
That's right, I remember reading about that movie a long while ago and wanting to see it but I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Zodiac (cough cough).
As in, Fincher's Zodiac? I watch it once every few months. Love the hell out of that movie.

Hbomberguy posted:

Can any recommend any crime drama movies similar to bittersweet life, oldboy, memories of murder, i saw the devil, or the raid 2 ? I really like that sort of combination of intrigue and violence and want more.

And yes I know raid 2 isn't korean but it's very much in that style or genre.
Have you seen Chaser?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I watched Haemoo (Sea Fog). There's a kinda contrived love story weaved into it and it could have been cut by like a solid half hour for pacing. The second half of the movie is fairly decent though. People going nuts on a boat and all.
I saw this recently as well and I agree that the love story felt pretty forced but the overall story was interesting enough and really well realized. Kinda nuts that it's based on a true story, too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just watched A Hard Day (Kkeut-kka-ji-gan-da) and it was a really enjoyable and fun, if pretty silly, thriller. I wasn't sure what it was going for tone-wise; a hard-boiled cop drama or tongue-in-cheek dark comedy but it somehow managed to balance the two. The first thirty minutes or so were pretty hilarious though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw Castaway on the Moon (Kimssi pyoryugi) and it's just a wonderful movie. Genuinely funny and pretty sweet and I've rarely gotten to call a movie quirky and have it be a positive thing but this movie is quirky in the best possible sense.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Wailing (Goksung) is nuts. It's a long movie and packs a whole lot in there but as far as a horror movie goes it's creepy as all gently caress and unrelentingly dark.

E: Also watched Kiss Me, Kill Me (Kilme) and aside from a couple of bits that got a laugh out of me I didn't care for it. Tonally all over the place and complete schmaltz at the end.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 20, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would really like to get ahold of The Chaser on Blu-Ray. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do so, please let me know via message. Thanks.

Been trying to get one myself, I know the Netflix version is clearly a 1080p version but as far as an actual disc copy, I haven't found one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Chaser is one of my favorites. Though I first watched it the same day I watched I Saw The Devil and man are those two movies mixed up in my head. Both are great though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw The Handmaiden and felt like the twist was almost unnecessary and it would've been as effective, if not even more so played out just straight but that didn't matter because overall the movie was fantastic. Up there with Chan Park-Wook's best thoughI still prefer Thirst and Oldboy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I liked The Wailing a lot, but it did get to a point where it felt like a bit of a chore to watch. Also Oldboy sits firmly as my second favorite of the Vengeance trilogy with Mr. being first and Lady third. I haven't seen those in a while though. So is Train to Busan worth a glance? I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's a very subtle and slow movie but I liked it a lot. But then again I love Thirst and consider it to be one of the best vampire movies of recent years so :shrug: I recommend giving Stoker a go at least.

• Locked thread