Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A Werewolf Boy became a surprise hit and scored a limited US release. As there is two versions of Werewolf Boy (including 2 endings) I don't know which one was released in the US, but probably the original as the new version came out later in Korea.

Pieta is the first Kim Ki-Duk film I've been interested in seeing in years. In general, Korean cinema stagnated for a bit but has been coming back for the past two years, though there are still notable huge duds like Sector 7.

Keanu Grieves posted:

I liked Thirst, The Chaser and I Saw the Devil. (Curiously, I hated Oldboy.) Where do I go next?

I'd suggest Memories of Murder and the other two Vengeance Trilogy flicks, as I like them and don't like Oldboy, either. Dirty Blood is another revenge flick, but I haven't seen it yet as there isn't a version with English subs I know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Leper Residue posted:

And lastly I have seen The Man From Nowhere so many times now. It's my go to drunk movie. It's like the director saw Taken, said 'that movie is for pussies' and made it even more awesome and dark. Such great knife fights.

Seconding this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Okay but not great.

EDIT: It's an okay actioner but it isn't anything special. I was disappointed as I though Kim Ji-woon would do more, but the first 2/3rds of the film is pretty generic action movie and it's only during the last 1/3rd when things get exciting. Had the entire film kept up that pace I think I would have liked it better. There's a lot of ridiculous car stunts in the first 2/3rds and Forest Whitaker spends almost the entire film yelling into phones and angry tossing them away. The battle sequences in the last 1/3rd look more like Kim's prior work, with the same type of camera style as TGTBTW. But that's not enough to make up for what I expected would be something way cool. Hopefully it does well enough Kim can do some projects with more freedom.

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 18, 2013

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Korean rom/coms I like: My Girlfriend is an Agent, You Pet, Love So Divine, Spygirl, Too Beautiful To Lie, Please Teach Me English

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Only if you want to miss this: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/first-clip-from-the-korean-sequel-the-host-2-is-chock-full-of-monster-goodness

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Weinsteins have done exactly that for over a decade now, driving people like me to avoid their stuff altogether.

Also My PS Partner is awesome awesome awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Duelist is mediocre as gently caress. Ha Ji-won's charms and a few good scenes (such as an awesome fight in a labyrinth-like walking area that jumps from light to shadow) get bogged down by a story about counterfeit coins minted to weaken an economy for a bunch of political reasons, and a love interest villain who is straight out of anime. They also have a character basically explain the final sequence for the audience members who didn't get it, which is a pet peeve of mine. The visuals are nice. Basically, watch the fight scenes on YouTube.

• Locked thread