Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Which other Vengeance movie did you see, the one about the guy or the girl?

I'd like to suggest Memories of Murder for you. Also, the Chaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2MqGo98R_M

Just came back from a screening of The Admiral: Roaring Currents. It's breaking box-office records in Korea and is currently the most-watched film in their history?

It's practically a Korean naval equivalent of 300; melodrama, slow motion, made-up BS to make the action more exciting, etc. The true story that it's based on is pretty impressive already: Korean admiral fends off 300 Japanese boats using only 12 ships.

Also if you're an anime nerd, his story seems to be the inspiration for Yang Wenli from Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

I take mild umbrage at this, because the melodrama in The Admiral is mainly aimed at establishing that it's more important to have a good strategy than to be a swaggering confident rear end in a top hat. That's a pretty awesome message. By contrast 300 is either about how fascism is awesome/terrible. I can never remember which. That's a terrible message mostly because it provokes stupid arguments.
You are correct in saying that 300 probably has a shittier message, but I think it's still fair to compare it to 300 in terms of over-wrought acting, slomo, and unnecessarily over-the-top action that strained belief

The best thing about this though is that now I'm aware of who Yi Sun-sin is and his goddamn amazing life story.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

I'm a little late to the party but I recently saw this and am blown away by how good the trailer is.

Decided to get caught up on Bong Joon Ho. I saw The Host and Memories of Murder when the first came out. Decided to watch my friend's bluray of Snowpiercer. Holy poo poo was that good.

Not having seen Mother or Barking Dogs, is it fair to say there's an ongoing theme of lying and mind control in his films? I guess the Host was inspired by a scandal where the US Army dumped a bunch of formaldehyde into the water system, and in the film the government lies about the danger to the public. Memories of Murder was a film about confirmation bias. Snowpiercer was about several institutions perpetuating themselves by indoctrinating and lying to the public. Okja looks like it will be tackling how corporations use marketing to help us avoid confronting the realities of where meat comes from.

• Locked thread