Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I just watched Daisy. Ending spoilers Why is Korea so obsessed with depressing endings, Jesus gently caress! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Recently watched The Thieves and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a mish-mash of Ocean's 11 and Mission: Impossible, with some standard heist film cliches built in, but it's all done fairly well. The actual main heist takes place like halfway through the film, which was surprising, as the movie still goes on for like 40 minutes after it, and has a whole separate big third act I wasn't expecting. Some pretty cool action sequences, fun characters, and basically a major plot twist every 10 minutes, I can totally understand how this became the highest grossing S. Korean film of all time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

lil sartre posted:

What I liked most and made the movie for me was the cat burglar girl, the one that the other girls refer to as "that bitch", besides being stunning she was also hilarious; I looked her up after the movie (for.. erm.. a project) and turns out she was also in My Sassy Girl, which made me slap myself for not recognizing her cause I loved that movie and she was amazing in there too.

Yeah, ever since My Sassy Girl I've been a fan of hers. I've seen pretty much all the films she's been in, although none were as good as that one. She was also the lead in Daisy, which I wrote about a few posts earlier, although you could probably figure out what I thought of that film from the spoiler.

She did another film with the director of My Sassy Girl called Windstruck if you want to check it out. It's kind of like a pseudo-prequel to My Sassy Girl.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

escape artist posted:

I just watched Mother last night, and I'm going to watch The Host later tonight.

This is what I posted about Mother in another thread. Don't hover of the spoilers if you have not seen it.

Have you seen Memories of Murder? I still consider that his best film. I feel like Fincher's Zodiac was heavily influenced by it. There's also a lot of political and cultural subtext going on that you'd probably have to read up on after seeing the film, but once I did gave me an even deeper appreciation of what he achieved.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Limited release is its own form of marketing. Few theaters means that everyone who really wants to see the film will flock to them, resulting in really high per-screen averages. Those people in turn spread word of mouth praise to friends and online, hopefully hyping up the casual viewer when the film eventually goes wider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

The Front Line is about the Korean War and is directed by the same guy who did JSA and Secret Reunion.

Wasn't JSA directed by Chan-Wook Park? Pretty sure he didn't direct The Front Line or Secret Reunion (unless there's another JSA film I don't know about).

• Locked thread