Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This game looks pretty interesting, and I'm going to guess they must really be pushing for cooperation. What mechanics are in place to encourage and improve team play versus soloing besides making mages basically helpless (but presumably invaluable for certain encounters)? It's kind of different to force players to actually behave like the units you use in the single-player games and baby sit the spellcasters until you can deploy their payloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how grindy or time-sinky would you say it is? I mean, if you can die forever, are you going to be losing a WoW sized investment or are characters more disposable so there's less heartbreak if you get ashed?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well I finally took a stab at it. It'd be nice if they expand avatar customization a little in the future, but I like my mutton chops fine. :)

Only finished the initiation quest chain so far. Text moves pretty slow and you can't click through the cutscenes. Combat is pretty fun, at least against the simplest monsters. Haven't figured out how to make the game pad play in a sensible way (using a 360 controller) as it only says "button 1, button 2" and doesn't make it clear what buttons do what by default. So far this seems quite enjoyable. We'll see if I get my poo poo wrecked later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My first level I hadn't used up any condition (that I know of) and I lost a point of piety while gaining a point in everything else. :shrug: Don't you have to improve that with the inn anyway? Does the game take your new condition into account before the leveling?

At first blush, this game just feels like it has something other MMOs I've tested recently lacked, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I think it's a simple as personality. Maybe it's just that Dark Souls-esque tone, like with the intro movie where the characters are being torn to shreds--there's no heroics, just a guy running for his life from the frying pan to the fire.

• Locked thread