Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I'm going to try to give a decent write up about the game but it's going to be minimal effort in regards to pictures and the like. I'm just going to share my experiences with the Closed Beta, so my information is going to be out of date a bit.

Launch looks to be the 30th of January. (It's been pushed back.)

What is Wizardry Online

It's a MMO based on the wizardry line of games. Pretty exciting right?

Does it feel like Wizardry

Actually, yes. Kind of anyway. About as successful as you can be with an MMO in my opinion.

What's the sell here?

Permadeath and fairly unforgiving dungeons.

Yes. Characters go bye-bye.

A few things of note before we get into the specifics of the game. I have an extremely limited brain space and may call priests clerics, thiefs rogues, and will use Soul and account interchangeably. I'll be wrong for doing so but suck it up.

http://wizardryonline.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Here's a decent starting thing, I'm going to try to build on that without reposting the whole drat thing.

Souls
Each account has 2 souls which contain 3 - 5 character slots. The soul will act as a last name for your character, in addition to the character name. Soul is one of the two main means of character progression in addition to levels. It's essentially a second experience bar that goes up through all your character's play time. This is very important in the case of losing your character you can grab stuff out of the bank with high soul rank and be up to speed pretty quickly. Your bank is soul wide, as are no trade items. It's really a pretty nice system and eases transfer times significantly. Story quests are also across your soul, so once you unlock the second dungeon every character on that soul will have access to it and the quest to open it cannot be redone. Criminal status is also shared across the soul.

Classes
Fighter, Thief, Priest, Mage. This should be pretty easy to figure out.

Early game CBT impressions: Fighters are easy mode. Super sturdy, a giant heal and good damage. Priests are solid. Thiefs are tricky. Towards the end of the CBT I saw no mages.

Races

Look at the getting started thing for stats. Porkuls have the best total stat points but have an absolutely terrible melee arc. A porkul wielding a dagger can barely scratch his own balls. I don't know actual ranges or if it was even all in my head but they felt way more difficult to maneuver. Height matters. Golden dragon ruins specifically has a ton of traps that shoot over the head of porkul and dwarves. Getting hit by traps repeatedly is Real Bad.

Character Creation
You will roll attributes and pick alignment/race/class. Alignment will add effects to some abilities. Quests during the course of the game can alter your alignment with certain responses. Make sure you read the quest text because cutting off that guy's head isn't always bad, he may have deserved it.

Oh yeah, roll attributes. When you create a character you will roll between 6 and 12 bonus attribute points. Or up to 70. 12 is the standard high end you can expect to get in a reasonable (~15 min) time rerolling. Anything outside of that range is extremely rare. Have fun.

Early stat points make a huge difference! A few points in vitality and str will make your life much easier no matter your class (Maybe a mage can skip the str). If you're bad at these types of games I'd even suggest going all str and vit with rogue/priest/war until you get a few soul ranks and a set of gear so you don't embarrass yourself in the first dungeon.

Skill Specs
Each level brings a talent point to drop into your abilities. I didn't get as much time to fiddle around with these as I would have liked. My takeaway from this was that 5 points into an ability was almost always better than 5 points in 5 abilities. If point 5 can go in at level 15, it acted like a level 15 ability. If you still have the same 1 point in the ability at level 15 you'll be fighting like a level 5 or so.

Class Change
You can change classes once you get a few soul ranks in, 5 I believe. Changing classes will let you reapply your bonus attributes you rolled earlier and will let you carry over a number of skills and total skill points determined by your soul rank. If you have 6 points in an ability and can only transfer 5 more skill points, you're out of luck on that. I do not know if you can chain an ability from one class through another and onto a different third class.

PvP
It's everywhere and heavily based on gear(soul rank) and level. Attacking a non criminal player will make you criminal. Looting player corpses will make you a criminal. Bounty Hunting will make you a criminal. Healing or buffing criminals will make you a criminal. Attacking criminals will not make you criminal. Guards will throw you in jail when they catch you. You actually have to sit in jail for a few minutes and repeatedly asking the dude to get you out of jail extends your stay. While in jail people on the outside can press a button that kills everyone on the inside. Check out the death section for why this might lead to you uninstalling.

Death
When you die you turn into a ghost and are going to have to go find the nearest statue (or port to it) or have a buddy carry your corpse there. Beware the reapers that will send you back to your corpse minus some rez chance. The game even gives you the super pro tip of training the reapers on to other dead players so they don't mess with you. When you find a statue you'll be able to rez. You can tithe to get your success rate with soul items found throughout the game or some cold hard cash. Rates in beta were extremely high, and I don't imagine they will stay that way as it was pretty trivial to avoid permadeath. The first failure will ash you, the second deletes the character. Holy items increase resurrect chances and cursed items lower them. Make sure to activate the statues as you run by them!

Combat
Combat is like TERA combat but with a little something extra. That something extra is another 21st chromosome. The combat system will probably feel clunky as all get out and one of the worst designed systems possible when you first get to it. It's not a very good system but it will probably fade as you get used to it. Swings go at things and can miss, spells can miss, it's pretty fun. My brief PvP counters have been a whole lot of fun.

Melee characters should probably play without targeting. You'll have better mobility. Casters are forced into targeting. How you move and step (a jump back with spacebar) is totally different depending on if you are targeting or not so you will kill yourself a few times switching between the two for sure.

OD is an action bar for melee abilities. It will regenerate while hitting things or slowly over time.

GP is your shield. Blocking is pretty important, you'll get used to it.

Dungeons
Traps everywhere, even the chests are trapped! You'll lose condition by running over a trap and that will eventually lower stats, definitely not a good thing to have happen. Progression through dungeons go through stages. You'll reach a boss statue that will have some puzzle/riddle you have to do. You'll need to run around looking at plates and putting the story together so you can go back to the statue and answer the questions. The boss fights aren't necessarily bossy, but sometimes they are. It's actually a pretty unique MMO experience sure to be ruined by massive amounts of spoiler sites everywhere. None of the puzzles are actually difficult and you have to go look at everything anyway before you get tested but people are still dumb enough to fail and those people are fun to laugh at.

Temple of oblivion (level 14ish) is most likely the last time you will consider soloing. I think it can be done solo but you'll have to get lucky, be good, and probably roll outside of a 12.

You'll want to grab a partner at least after the first dungeon, especially as a non fighter/priest. This is not a solo game. I beat Temple of Oblivion with a friend and we cheesed it mightily.

Conclusion
Is the game good? Probably not. I'm not sure I see a whole hell of a lot of replayability. Going through these dungeons is an absolute joy, however, even with the limitations of the game. There is a real sense of danger and accomplishments for completing an area. It's a fairly unique game experience and Vanguard is the only game I've played with something similar. Hopefully the handholding on release isn't very bad so people can experience the game themselves.

A friendly note to new players, hold on to two kraken coins, you'll need them to progress. The repeatable quest guy has a quest that will hook you up with more if you lose them for whatever reason (or sell them to impatient people).

Here is a video of Doing It Wrong (It's okay I did it wrong too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCPASLDhlE

Bashez fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Economy Clown Car posted:

Doing dwarf thief strategist because who cares about elves or those weird little doll looking people :stare: That and I got a 12 bonus stat start and decided I didn't want to sit there rolling till I got the magical fabled 50 or 70 bonus point start that I hear you can get.

On the plus side, I think I'm more durable than the other thieves and can cut up monsters face to face if I can't get good backstab alignment, on the downside- I had to spend an alarming amount of points to get up to speed on my agility.

I'm not sure agility does anything, unless you misspoke and meant dex, which is super super important. Agility does things, just not things you want a thief to be doing. (Lower crit rate from monsters and I'm not sure what else)

Lotish posted:

So how grindy or time-sinky would you say it is? I mean, if you can die forever, are you going to be losing a WoW sized investment or are characters more disposable so there's less heartbreak if you get ashed?

The first character that is leveling with his soul rank is pretty grindy. Getting to level 10 will feel like an accomplishment. If you lose that character your new character will be able to use the same gear that your old guy was using but will have a lower HP pool and stat base. He'll fight well after a few levels. Soul ranks will give you a bunch of boosts like 50% exp up to X level and lower identify costs. Basically what took like 30 hours without soul rank and gear took like 2 hours after we knew what we were doing and had soul ranks. I'm not sure if you played wizardry but half our time as kids was spent in the character creation screen. The game's meant to reroll characters a bunch, HP is not random on levels (I don't believe) but stats are so I'm assuming you'll just be binning guys that lose stats on levels too frequently.

Lotish posted:

This game looks pretty interesting, and I'm going to guess they must really be pushing for cooperation. What mechanics are in place to encourage and improve team play versus soloing besides making mages basically helpless (but presumably invaluable for certain encounters)? It's kind of different to force players to actually behave like the units you use in the single-player games and baby sit the spellcasters until you can deploy their payloads.

If you get 1000 exp on a solo kill you'll get like 900 exp in a two man group. Mages really aren't helpless, they're just the hardest class by far to play. I really don't know how good their damage is (and it's total rear end at the start, do not make a mage before you get a +magic attack weapon to give them) but I'm pretty sure they can drop shitloads of damage.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

This seems pretty appealing, so I had a few questions, if anyone was able to answer:

-Is there any overworld to speak of? Or is the entire game just a town with lots of dungeons? Or is it like different towns that "click to teleport to" and go to their dungeons?

-Are all the quests pretty generic "tasks" of "collect x whatevers"? One video I saw seemed to bring back horrible WoW / EQ flashbacks, like needing 5 of such, but there's only 2 spawn points. Plus, competition for it.

-Speaking of the quests - for the ones like those that are annoying, are most pretty passable? Or are they the main source of exp / gear?

-Do we know what the F2P model is like yet?

Just one town and a dude that takes you to the other dungeons, as far as I'm aware.

Every single one of the quests sucks rear end. The meat of the game is in the dungeon puzzles. Quests are basically for gold. Decent exp and soul points but you're better off grinding for those. You have your soul quests that you can only complete once which amount to "finish this dungeon" and then some repeatable ones. There are a couple littered about the town that aren't awful but they are few and far between. Quests are not a strong suit of this game, running around a dungeon for a few hours and still not having the map pieces for it is!

It looks like respecs and an item to not lose your weapon/armor during the forging process are bought. These are a pretty big deal because I think success gets sub 10% for 2 or 3 attempts in a row. +5 on weapons is a big deal because I think you get a hardness there. I didn't even attempt a +5 and it goes to 6 and 7. Not sure if it goes higher but I didn't even risk a +4 all through beta.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Two towns, actually. If you escape from jail you wind up in a different town with no guards.

That's the slums for the same town. It does not have your story quest progression guys in it so good luck finishing that stuff while criminal! Dodging guards and players is kind of fun while trying to get to the quest givers. You can also just walk into the slums while not criminal, which is where you get to execute everyone in jail every 3 minutes until they quit the game.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Thanks! That's what I figured. That's all good though. I wonder if it'll ever get semi-EQ like, with people setting up camp for an area to grind out mobs for exp.

Hate to keep bombarding you - but what the hell is forging? Or just the 2 sentence explanation or whatever. Game sites are blocked at work, or I'd google it.

I'm also curious about how the multi-classing works, but it didn't seem like people really got into it much yet. I figure it won't be too long after release until there are guides out there telling you how to not gimp your toon, and the order to make this-or-that in. It's sounding like Soul Rank will be good enough to keep you from wanting to kill yourself if you want to reroll. The game seems to start out so difficult, that I wonder if everyone shouldn't start a warrior to easy-mode for a bit, then die/delete him and come back as what class you really wanted.

Throw some cash and stones into the repair vendor guy (you buy the stones or quest them; better/more stones offer better success rate) and upgrade your stats. The higher soul rank the item is the more expensive it is. I'm not sure if chance varies (master or legendary or whatever the really good item thing is cannot be forged) by rarity or soul rank or just randomly by item but some items are definitely harder to enchant than others. You also get glows for higher level enchants. Getting to +3 is easy and virtually guaranteed for a lot of items. It's also necessary if you're playing by yourself at all.

There's a quest to change your class that requires you to get a class ticket (super rare, never saw one) or collect I think 8 class stones. Use the stones and you'll drop back to level 1 and reassign your attribute roll from the creation of the character. You also get to transfer a number of skills, and skill ranks, from your old talent build into the new class based on your soul rank. Higher rank means more transfers allowed. If you're allowed 12 skill ranks you can move 5 of this, 5 of that, and 2 of the other, provided you can move 3 skills as well.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 2, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lotish posted:

My first level I hadn't used up any condition (that I know of) and I lost a point of piety while gaining a point in everything else. :shrug: Don't you have to improve that with the inn anyway? Does the game take your new condition into account before the leveling?

At first blush, this game just feels like it has something other MMOs I've tested recently lacked, but I'm not quite sure what it is. I think it's a simple as personality. Maybe it's just that Dark Souls-esque tone, like with the intro movie where the characters are being torn to shreds--there's no heroics, just a guy running for his life from the frying pan to the fire.

My experience has been that dropping 3,000 gold at the inn has given worse results than the fountains in dungeons. This is purely anecdotal and I believe they've explicitly stated the royal suite should give better levels.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Spears are literally the best weapon. My Warrior does long range poke damage for 200 very rapidly, slaughtering everything. No shield is a pain, the Dragon Ruins are kicking my rear end.

Really do enjoy this, it plays like a singleplayer, Dark Souls meets DDO is a great way to explain it. The Soul system is really cool, the idea of have multiple toons contribute to one another to a strong degree is cool but the grind is a bit of a drag.

Spears do indeed own. Pro tip for manglers, drag them to a flame trap and block. Fighting those assholes is not a whole lot of fun.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Release has been pushed back to the 30th.

I don't have hopes of supremely competent management I just want to squeeze some fun out of the drat game already.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I managed to run up through some of aria sewers last night. Soul name is Slicker in game, character name Sleight. Hit me up, I'm not a jerk but I'll probably be pretty unresponsive as I'm not used to the chat in this game very much. I'll not actually ever have any money or anything to pass down for forever because you're broke as a joke the second you open forging but I may get a couple hand me down items or whatever. My best advice is to go to the armor shop and kit yourself out as best you can when you get soul rank two. Immediately getting away from 1 defense armor pieces is such a huge change.

About the stats on level up, My experience has been that fountains have crushed royal inn stays, I don't see the point of dropping 3k every level, you'll want that money for forging. Get your soul rank 3 poo poo to +3, it starts getting harder to upgrade. Unless of course you have a good plan to get SR 4 quickly.

Edit: Exp books you got with the beta testing appear to be busted. Either that or they don't stack with the dimento medal that you also get with beta testing.

Subscription gives you a 24 slot bag which is a godsend for the early levels, especially deltis keep which shits out items.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Connection problems were fine last night, excluding the wait at "connect" when logging in. Connect is a good thing, by the way, don't quit on it. If it goes to reconnecting, then there is a problem. Someone chime in if I'm giving terrible advice here but I think that's how it works.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Some people just hang at "connect" forever, while some of us lucky folks just hang there for 60s-5min before getting into game and having no further issues.

I alt tabbed, watched about 15 minutes or so of stuff before I actually got in. That was last night however. I hope they fix the zone times. I had a perfect connection last night, and it was pretty awesome.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Dawnfire posted:

Only problem I've had with mage so far is that I always get aggro immediately when in a group. My 2mp fire shot will typically out damage a thief's backstab and do multiple times as much damage as a fighter's regular attacks will do. My 5mp nuke will do something like 300-500 damage. I'm also sill SL1 and character level 5 and only barely finished the first dungeon.

How much were you hitting for out of the box? I do not remember mages hitting this hard until they got SR 2 or 3.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Dawnfire posted:

I'm not exactly sure. I haven't even spent any skill points beyond the one to unlock the next fire spell. I am level 5 with 21 int, but not sure if that amount is really what's pumping out that much damage. The staff I was using only has 10 more magic attack then the starter one, as well.

I do only hit around 100-200 with my 2mp shot. It's just the nuke that I tear stuff up with.

Edit: It might be that I'm actually using a staff instead of that pitiful magic knife you start with. You get a beginner staff at some point before the first dungeon and I switched to that fast. It bumps up your magic attack by like 30.

Okay yeah, the staff is a huge help. And I interpreted this as your normal nuke doing 300 for some reason. Fighters are about to start stabbing things for 200 and you're going to feel silly for a bit as a mage (my group mates chain does 300-500-800 and fires pretty quick, SR3 gear). I don't know how well mages scale past this because everyone seems to quit right about then. I'm pretty sure they get ridiculous damage but no idea yet.

Edit: Aggro is also really ridiculous to control, I sometimes get aggro without doing anything so always be on your toes as a mage.

Edit2: I'm not trying to be a dick by the way. I'm hoping to prepare you for what, as far as I know, is a pretty imbalanced class structure at this point in the game. This is in hopes of getting you to stick with your mage. I'd like to see one in temple of oblivion some time!

Bashez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 1, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I think its perfect, actually. Most of the microtransactions are there to exploit superspergs that can't cope with their character's mortality. The kind of person that savescums in nethack or Fire Emblem. They also sell consumables that increase your resurrection chance.

I believe it's also cheaper to buy 90 red potions in the shop and spend the life material at the soul chick.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Dawnfire posted:

Man, mage's effectiveness drops like a rock very quickly after Deltis keep. It's absolutely awful. A jump from 60 to 106 magic attack only ups my spell damage by about 20-50. Meanwhile something like 10-20 extra regular attack on the other classes will up their damage by double. I knew a lull was coming, but upping my stats having nearly no effect on improving my damage seems pretty harsh.

Make sure your skills are maxxed out.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm having a good time playing this with PureRok and a few other random goons. We need a full party (for fun - the dungeons so far have been 2-mannable)

The Deltis Keep is a huge step up in terms of complexity from the previous 2(3?) dungeons. There is so much to explore and a quest chain to work through it.

Has anyone activated a Dimento medal in game? I tried a 7-day one and I do not have access to the bonus bag slots, cloak room slots, or auction slots.

I saw a player mention that the shining rocks that mobs drop can be used to craft keys for the chests in dungeons. Can someone shed more light on this?

I've duo'd through temple of oblivion but adding extra players seems to make the game comically easy.

Dimento medals give you exactly what the buff says. The extra bag slot and character slot poo poo is from a membership. I think something got lost in translation because I was under the same impression you were.

Some NPCs in town will trade 99 rocks for a key, just talk to some people.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

BombiTheZombie posted:

Warriors seem to be the easiest and most versatile class by far, except for clerics who can go on trucking forever if played right.

My first character was a dwarf cleric, he was pretty much unkillable but killing anything was like watching paint dry so i made a warrior. So far i have died on him twice in 11 levels. I dont even need to block just hold in mousebutton and watch the numbers fly.

Im sure its going to get harder from now on but man are they easy to play.

The warrior heal being super fast and a hitting for like 400 or whatever when the warrior has just over 500 HP is insane.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Mages are horrible full stop it seems. :v:

Also who is the maniac that decided you can't use directional dodging unless you're locked on, ugh.

What do you mean? If you aren't locked on and press right and step you jump to the left. They're just all inverted.

I finally got my first SR6 item, it's a dumb claw however.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Whenever I've tried dodge moving without being locked on, the character has simply jumped back - meaning they end up launching themselves into what I'm trying to avoid.

They'll jump backwards, so aim your butt at where you want to go. It will take 15 minutes of practice before the freedom of movement is huge over being locked on.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Gegil posted:

The Kraken coins also are on the Loot Table for Death Carriers from Deltis Keep
http://wizardryvault.com/guides/dungeon-loot-guide/#table2

You should have at least 1 from a quest before you get there (I believe) the mission quest giver will give a repeatable to do the 3 bosses before you need the kraken coin for another if you don't want to farm one (they are decently rare).

So Old Sewers is a really strange zone. I was imagining it being incredibly hard after the difficulty jump that was oblivion temple. The mobs actually seem easier but holy hell spawn times are ridiculous and it makes 2 manning it into a giant slog (with 1000 gold and SR6 poo poo dropping from mobs!).

It's much more open in a lot of places than Temple. I'm loving exploring these dungeons. Has anyone had any time to play in there?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Mbwuto posted:

My poor thief can barely solo a beetle half the time.

You've hosed up somewhere. I'm not sure a beetle should be able to get an attack off on you.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Mbwuto posted:

I had no idea you could have up to 70 random points or whatever. I got 6 and assumed that was decent. I'm probably just King of the Gimps

I'd never keep a 6 character, it's the lowest of the "normal" (6-12) rolls. Basically if you're going to be swinging at things you need some good str and vit. If you're trapping you're going to need good dex but not gimp sta and str so you can finish things. If you're a porkul I wouldn't recommend going melee skills as their melee range is embarrassing. Don't spread your points around a shitload. Decoy and stealth are fine at 1 point for the longest time. Make medicine probably needs a couple and then either skill up trap or hide attack so that you're basically knocking things out in one hit.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Gegil posted:

Oooh, how do you upgrade items?

At SR3 the repair vendor opens his forging process to you. It's basic: put forging stones and money with items to make them better.

at 5 weapons glow and get an extra hardness usually, which is really helpful.

Things also gain durability and drop weight which is great for priests and fighters.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Is old sewers the last dungeon in the game? The zone has turned out to be pretty easy so far. Easier than temple of oblivion and we were able to duo all the bosses without a failure, though beta knowledge helped. I'm not seeing drop lists for any dungeons but I thought there was one past old sewers.

It drops a crazy amount of loot but god drat it's been easy.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Apparently they have underground dragoon ruins in after old sewers. I was getting worried I'd be reaching the end of content soon!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

You get two souls per account, I'm not sure I see the reason in deleting the old soul.

I got my first PVP action in the other day. Apparently I'm super high level as nobody could kill me. I'm also really bad at aiming swings, luckily most people go down in a few bats.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't believe this is true anymore. I see no way to create a second soul when logging in.

Now that I think about it, you briefly get the message "skipping soul selection" and it immediately jumps into typing in your soul pin. I don't know.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

So far the underground dragoon ruins have been pretty easy. It was just a short test run, however.

I'm surprised the game has been duoable thus far, I was expecting to need a group for Old Sewers for sure.

I think this is about the time when a lot of people begin to peter out and we'll see who remains. Somehow I don't think it will be many people.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

I still dream of getting a player killer party going and combining the fun of grinding dungeon mobs for xp and loot with the Real Fun of slaying lovely pubbies and stealing their loot (hopefully quest items...)

Fighters do unfortunately seem to be the god kings of the game and can slaughter without fear of death or rusty armor. Nobody else comes close. Thieves do nasty damage in pvp and hit so incredibly fast. They've gotta be up there.

As a reminder, anyone who has unlocked a dungeon or dark orb statue on one char on a soul will unlock them for any alts you make. We can also grind an alt from lv 1 to 10 in about 10 minutes, provided they are up to aria reservoir.

Mages destroy warriors.

Thiefs are pretty terrible because of their reach most the time, though hide attack can actually hit hard.

Alts have to reactivate guide posts but otherwise have full access to dungeons. This sucks for going to the dragoon ruins though, since it's not a new dungeon and just lower the sewers.

I have a habit of attacking any criminals I see, so good luck there!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

Mages are actually pretty awful at one on one PVP, as far as I know. Their cast times are crippling and they're pretty much dead once they get hit. They get much better at level 20, when they can get invest flame, but by that point you're better off switching to a thief and just porting the spell over for the extra survivability and the huge damage boosts from the backstab tree.

Thieves are pretty decent in PVP, too. The speed of daggers and knuckles lets you stunlock other players while hide gives you an option to leave the fight and take it on your own terms. They can also heal much more readily than fighters, and have poison traps that really ruin the day of anyone dumb enough to step in them (which is a surprising amount of people).

I just meant that they do a lot of damage to warriors as opposed to everything else that cannot scratch them. They'll die if poked.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Tagra posted:

Anyone tried the thief skill Steal Attack? Does it suck?

All I seem to get when I search for info is discussion on how stealing from other players works...

I have absolutely no idea, but the more important thing is if it's taking off the loot table. If it does it isn't worth poo poo (if you're grouping with friends).

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

glug posted:

Dear Sirs,
How far should you really go soul-level wise with one dude before you start messing with useless alts?
Has anyone really seen over 12 in bonus points? Because seriously :(
Why does my fat dwarf fighter suck at wearing poo poo. I have to take off my damned pants in order to wield a 2-hander. :( FML i need more strength.

Also, pretty cool for a free game. Other than the stupid jump near Mikhail in the optional kaoka ruins, because that is retarded, and I only got out of there twice (talking to him first time, giving him the item he wanted) by eventually dying to the one hit wonder that roams under the jump :(

When your alt has a 50% exp boost (and he can kill guys that also give soul points). My friend is going to grandfather his warrior soon so he's going to have his level + 16 skills and it's going to be awesome.

My friend has rolled maybe like 8 13-15s. My other friend got 56 in a few minutes of rolling and his thief is unreasonably good. I've not seen outside the 6-12 band.

As was said vitality is the carry poo poo stat. It's hugely important for fighters as it's also your defense stat (and in combat movement speed, apparently). If you can't step (spacebar jump) you've gimped yourself as a fighter unless you're fighting trivial things. Forge your gear to get it to drop weight as well. Eat vitality food at the tavern, it's usually enough to get you wearing what you want unless you've got a heavy belt and poo poo on too.

I'm in the dragoon ruins proper and holy gently caress I don't think there's a port in. Unless you find it a little deeper in than we had time to venture. You have to do an incredibly long run over a ton of traps just to get to the entrance of the dungeon, unless I'm missing something.

I'm slightly disappointed we haven't had to take a third to any parts of the game yet but it's still a lot of fun. The dragoon ruins seemed to have stepped up in difficulty, at least in traps. Traps are now lightning bolts that instant kill.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Dumbest question of the thread: where do you buy healing potions?

They sell them in the royal shop for 15 cents. Otherwise go to deltis keep and farm a ton of them off the humanoids in there.

Possibly a dumber question, what are you wanting healing potions for?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

sonofsunaj posted:

I have to agree. I was looking for a game to keep me from going back to EVE. I wanted risk and the ability to lose something worth while if I wasn't careful. Maybe if they made it so every time you died the cost of resurecting became greater.

But, even worse is that that there are very few people playing. I never logged in when there were other goons on, and the pubbies were boring.

I'm just wondering how much gear you've gotten +7? You're looking for a risk and that's currently the biggest risk in the game(forging in general).

Personally I think loot times on corpses are probably too long. It's really hard to grab something off someone if they can always get to a statue in time. Rez rates are way too high as well, I guess they're expected more people to get hit by walkers but so far I don't actually drop below 100% rez rate, though I've been ashed by traps a few times.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 22, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I doubt many more are still playing bt I decided to give an update on where I am in the game.

I got to finish Carley and the dragoon ruins and head into descension. If I were to rate the dungeons so far in the game in terms of difficulty I'd say everything pre Aria is a 1, aria 2, Temple 3, Old Sewers 3, Dragoon 5, and this new piece of poo poo a 10.

I play a trap thief with priest heals and frequently duo with either a desperado/grandfathered trap thief character or a grandfathered warrior. The first floor in the dungeon is the usual stuff and then the second floor introduces a new mob type. These new mobs see through stealth and have an insane amount of HP. They also are casters so they don't like to actually run over traps. The spells they cast are a super fast ice shard that hits for ~150 or so and then a fireball that hits for ~500 and an AE root that hits for ~500. So I get one shot most the time. The warrior also can, because of his low magic defense.

In order to advance past the next boss statue you need to solve a puzzle turning in quest items off the mobs. Those assholes described above can drop the quest pieces but aren't necessary. They share a spawn with the monks that do however. I think everyone must channel hop looking for the monks because walking into the dungeon you won't actually see any monks spawned.

This game is a giant troll and yet I finished that quest anyway.

Also the guys that play 24/7 have their mages decked out and now can take out other players 15 v 1 pretty trivially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

The problem with the game is Aria Reservoir and everything that comes with it, honestly. At that point the amount of EXP and soul points you need to level increases exponentially and there's only one way to get them: grinding Millionaire. Hundreds of times.

This is made worse by the fact that following the first dungeon, enemies start becoming stronger faster than the player does, so by Aria Resivoir, you will be one-shot by almost every enemy if you are not a Fighter or Priest. In the end, it just felt like you were getting nowhere instead of being a thrilling challenge.

This is so completely wrong.

I've never grinded millionaire, I've never seen the point. The spearmen are 1100 exp or so a kill base and go down super easy so they are a better grind spot. Then obviously people grind bulls for forever for ~600-800k exp an hour depending on group and bonus exp. From there you can go to about a million exp an hour grinding plants in UDR (there are tricky but also good exp spots before this) and closer to 2 mil/hour in descension and it gets even better in the new dungeon.

Your gear is lacking in a big way if you're getting one shot. Unless you're a mage in which case roll a fighter for defensive stance and then get a good cloak and you'll tank better than every class not a warrior!

Getting to 20 is a full evening of playing now. If you have friends, of course.

Edit: Jesus don't know why I said 22.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 30, 2013

• Locked thread