Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This seems pretty appealing, so I had a few questions, if anyone was able to answer:

-Is there any overworld to speak of? Or is the entire game just a town with lots of dungeons? Or is it like different towns that "click to teleport to" and go to their dungeons?

-Are all the quests pretty generic "tasks" of "collect x whatevers"? One video I saw seemed to bring back horrible WoW / EQ flashbacks, like needing 5 of such, but there's only 2 spawn points. Plus, competition for it.

-Speaking of the quests - for the ones like those that are annoying, are most pretty passable? Or are they the main source of exp / gear?

-Do we know what the F2P model is like yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bashez posted:

Just one town and a dude that takes you to the other dungeons, as far as I'm aware.

Every single one of the quests sucks rear end. The meat of the game is in the dungeon puzzles. Quests are basically for gold. Decent exp and soul points but you're better off grinding for those. You have your soul quests that you can only complete once which amount to "finish this dungeon" and then some repeatable ones. There are a couple littered about the town that aren't awful but they are few and far between. Quests are not a strong suit of this game, running around a dungeon for a few hours and still not having the map pieces for it is!

It looks like respecs and an item to not lose your weapon/armor during the forging process are bought. These are a pretty big deal because I think success gets sub 10% for 2 or 3 attempts in a row. +5 on weapons is a big deal because I think you get a hardness there. I didn't even attempt a +5 and it goes to 6 and 7. Not sure if it goes higher but I didn't even risk a +4 all through beta.

Thanks! That's what I figured. That's all good though. I wonder if it'll ever get semi-EQ like, with people setting up camp for an area to grind out mobs for exp.

Hate to keep bombarding you - but what the hell is forging? Or just the 2 sentence explanation or whatever. Game sites are blocked at work, or I'd google it.

I'm also curious about how the multi-classing works, but it didn't seem like people really got into it much yet. I figure it won't be too long after release until there are guides out there telling you how to not gimp your toon, and the order to make this-or-that in. It's sounding like Soul Rank will be good enough to keep you from wanting to kill yourself if you want to reroll. The game seems to start out so difficult, that I wonder if everyone shouldn't start a warrior to easy-mode for a bit, then die/delete him and come back as what class you really wanted.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Richard M Nixon posted:

Maybe I've never worked in a large corporate environment so I just don't get the challenges involved, but I would expect a bunch of well paid degree-holding individuals at a well-known corp to be able to handle their affairs much better than what we've seen here.

I can't speak for SoE, but I'm a software developer, who's worked at both big and small companies. At the big ones, the 6-figure developers who actually do work and know what needs to happen are usually told to STFU and they're not "team players" when they express concern that goes against what the 8-layers of management who have amazing backgrounds in things like "Excel" and degrees like "MBA" want to do (which is really just the guy at the top and 7 yes men).

On a side note, today I started a new job at a start-up...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pity bump, since it's being shut down. This was actually THE oldest thread in the forum.

• Locked thread