Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cloudchaos posted:

I never played the first Junk Jack (I played a bit of Blockheads but no Minecraft or Terraria) but I bought JJX when it launched and absolutely love it. Just unlocked the 5th biome and now I'm working on building my masterpiece fortress v2.0 on the surface of a lava planet. I'm not very creative but I've had a great time building in JJX, something about it resonates with the same part of my brain that loves Legos. I can try and answer questions if you pick it up and have any.

How did you find gems? What about portal pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

tuyop posted:

How did you find gems? What about portal pieces?

Gems are embedded in rock like ores are and portal pieces are found in biomes in unique chests (can't miss em).
They are, however, very hard to find in the first place.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I must have thrown a good 40-60 hours into JJX and never did find more than two portal pieces :/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I'm digging the hell out of Town Craft and I don't even mind (that much) that I missed the sale. It makes me think of a (very) simplified Dwarf Fortress on the iPad.

Small tip - I finally had to look up how to make something because it never occurred to me to put finished goods in the work bench. So... Do that. See what you get.

I hope they make a ton of money so they enhance the crap out of it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The thing that annoyed me recently about TDS is that you can actually run out of Imperial missions.

Firstly, they're all seemingly random with no story or content behind them, so why not make them last forever?
Secondly, I've only built 10/16 Imperial levels so what are the other levels even for if you never need them for a mission?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Eegah posted:

I must have thrown a good 40-60 hours into JJX and never did find more than two portal pieces :/

If it helps, I think they specifically show up in lit caves (that you can see from your extended map easily enough).

Regarding 'Continue?9876543210': I have no idea what the hell but it is beautiful, sad, and strangely spooky.
Overall, they do a good job of giving you a sense of this digital limbo.
The main downside that I immediately noticed is that it has the most awkward virtual buttons I've ever dealt with. It's interesting but it's a nightmare to control.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 4, 2013

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Sad lions posted:

If it helps, I think they specifically show up in lit caves (that you can see from your extended map easily enough).

They show up in lit caves sometimes but not exclusively. Someone on some random JJX forums said that 15 portal pieces spawn per biome but I'm not sure I believe it, the most I've found is 6. As for finding them it's really just a matter of exploring. If you can farm birds and craft the air essence trinket you don't have to worry about fall damage and it makes exploring much, much faster.

Gems are pretty common in underground cave systems, less so in solid areas. Also, I wasn't aware that you can encrust gems into your armor for a long time. Here are the possible effects:

quote:

Ruby: Immune to lava damage.
Emerald: Immune to acid damage.
Topaz: Breathe underwater.
Sapphire: Glow in the dark.
Amythest: Small attack increase.
Diamond: Small defense increase.

Sapphires don't stack for increased light radius so I'm rolling with ruby/emerald/topaz/sapphire, those plus playing on peaceful makes for extremely easy exploration. Once you have a cut gem just hold it in your inventory and it'll ask which item you want to encrust.

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 4, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Has anyone played Bloodmasque? It looks like typical Square IAP bait, but the graphics look good and I like the gameface feature (which is missing from every mobile EA game for some reason). So is it playable without endless grinding or splurging on IAP?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on iPad Air vs iPad Mini for gaming?

When I moved down to a Mini from a full size iPad I knew I would never go back. It's the Goldilocks principle, it's big enough to play games that need plenty of screen real estate, but small enough to fit into a (big) pocket, be used for tilting, or playing one handed. I loved my original iPad, but I love my Mini more. A year on, and I still haven't found a game where I wished I had the larger screen.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

1st AD posted:

Has anyone played Bloodmasque? It looks like typical Square IAP bait, but the graphics look good and I like the gameface feature (which is missing from every mobile EA game for some reason). So is it playable without endless grinding or splurging on IAP?

I thought it was pretty dull, but I only played about 3-4 hours of it. The best part was finding the stupidest image for a face and watching the completely serious cutscenes.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So there's a game called Puzzle Realms which is nonograms/picross with like some rpg adventure aspects. It's a cool idea but holy poo poo is the control input system lovely. Also the squares you tap take a second to slowly fade in with colour, which is really annoying. I hope someone else does this better. At least it has a free trial so you can check without burning money.

http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-realms

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Corridor posted:

So there's a game called Puzzle Realms which is nonograms/picross with like some rpg adventure aspects. It's a cool idea but holy poo poo is the control input system lovely. Also the squares you tap take a second to slowly fade in with colour, which is really annoying. I hope someone else does this better. At least it has a free trial so you can check without burning money.

http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-realms

Thank god this is poo poo then. A Picross RPG would loving end me, I would play no other game until the end of time. These fools don't know what forces they are meddling with.

IrregularOreos
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the advice on JJX, picked it up and am having a blast.

Eegah posted:

I somehow came across a Seth portal piece within the first hour of exploring. Can't even remember picking it up, just found it in my inventory when I went to dump all my stuff in my storage chests.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

IrregularOreos posted:

Thanks for the advice on JJX, picked it up and am having a blast.

I somehow came across a Seth portal piece within the first hour of exploring. Can't even remember picking it up, just found it in my inventory when I went to dump all my stuff in my storage chests.

Right now locked chests are bugged and you can break them with a hammer instead of requiring a key. Go nuts!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shwqa posted:

The same team did the penny arcade game for the iOS. That game was fun as well. And they did the humor so it was actually funny.

No, Tycho wrote it AFAICR.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

When I moved down to a Mini from a full size iPad I knew I would never go back. It's the Goldilocks principle, it's big enough to play games that need plenty of screen real estate, but small enough to fit into a (big) pocket, be used for tilting, or playing one handed. I loved my original iPad, but I love my Mini more. A year on, and I still haven't found a game where I wished I had the larger screen.

If you're some kind of gross weirdo who likes hidden object games get used to memorizing where some things are. Other than that, my friend really likes his mini.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If anyone's interested, Greedo shoots first in the related TDS scene :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

1st AD posted:

Shwqa posted:

I thought it was pretty dull, but I only played about 3-4 hours of it. The best part was finding the stupidest image for a face and watching the completely serious cutscenes.
Yeah, it's fun for about an hour at most if you find a fun face set to work with. The game basically is a bunch of grinding without any real story or feeling of progress but it's a fun hour for free I guess.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
What is jjx? Sounds interesting.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sebmojo posted:

No, Tycho wrote it AFAICR.

Whoever wrote it, they got the "jerking off to their own prose" part that shows up in PA side projects down pat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's a terraria clone made from the ground up for iOS.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

tuyop posted:

It's a terraria clone made from the ground up for iOS.

Junk Jack X

More specifically, it is a 2D sandbox block building game. I wouldn't say its a Terraria clone though since each game focuses on different aspects, Terraria being more action oriented and JJX focuses more on the building aspect.

Basically if you want to primarily fight monsters in a Metroidvania style environment then get Terraria. If you want to build massive bases and homes and explore different worlds then get JJX.

http://appshopper.com/games/junk-jack-x

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How's terraria on the iphone?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
In Tower of Fortune 2, does Insurance carry over into more than one game? What about the Mascot? At first I thought that your Equipment Slots carry over, but clearly that's not the case. But the upgrades in your camp do. And gold does as well. The could be a little bit more clear about what carries over from life to life.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!
In TDS what's the point of not allowing you to unemploy a bitizen if all the jobs are full? My recollection is that TT allowed that. It really makes min/maxing your bitizens annoying. I've just been leaving one job empty somewhere so that as I move new bitizens in, I can rearrange without issue.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pahonix posted:

In TDS what's the point of not allowing you to unemploy a bitizen if all the jobs are full? My recollection is that TT allowed that. It really makes min/maxing your bitizens annoying. I've just been leaving one job empty somewhere so that as I move new bitizens in, I can rearrange without issue.

Prevents an "exploit" to getting IAP (which wasn't even much of one, but Disney.)

Basically TDS is an awful game and you should delete it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

tuyop posted:

It's a bit rough with the reduced screen space for inventory and action buttons but it plays rather well, I think.

I did find beating the Wall of Flesh to be nearly impossible, though.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Stormfang1502 posted:

Junk Jack X

More specifically, it is a 2D sandbox block building game. I wouldn't say its a Terraria clone though since each game focuses on different aspects, Terraria being more action oriented and JJX focuses more on the building aspect.

Basically if you want to primarily fight monsters in a Metroidvania style environment then get Terraria. If you want to build massive bases and homes and explore different worlds then get JJX.

http://appshopper.com/games/junk-jack-x

Thanks, I was just looking for what JJX stood for though! I have terraria for iOS and steam, it's a great game. I'll probably look into JJX too though since I always liked the building aspects and Terraria doesn't really force you to do much more than build a tower with a few rooms for NPCs and drop platforms to get out of caves.

:Edit: As for terraria on iPhone, I thought it was fine once I got the hang of the controls and once I figured out you could hold on the screen to get a magnifier/fine tuned control for using the hammer/axe/pick. I think I preferred it on my iPhone over the iPad since it's kinda hard to hold it and use the controls and there is no way playing with the iPad on a surface would be fun. Overall though, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 4, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Voodoo posted:

In Tower of Fortune 2, does Insurance carry over into more than one game? What about the Mascot? At first I thought that your Equipment Slots carry over, but clearly that's not the case. But the upgrades in your camp do. And gold does as well. The could be a little bit more clear about what carries over from life to life.

Not only does Insurance not carry over, it increases in price each life after you buy it.

I deleted the game once the price of the insurance reached 12000. An interesting game, turned into a lovely cashgrab by stupid developers.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
FFVI screenshots are out:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Final+Fantasy+VI+%28iOS+%26+Android%29/news.asp?c=55753

I mean I would have liked more detail in the sprites rather than just the same thing but less pixelated, but it doesn't look so bad from the two screens we have. At the very least it doesn't appear to be as big an eyesore as FFV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Looks like they're still going with the FF Dimensions style of sprites. It's not terrible but I think the PSP version of Final Fantasy IV or the iOS Final Fantasy II look a whole lot better.

As long as they don't gently caress up the soundtrack or gameplay though, I think it'll be all right.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bobfather posted:

Not only does Insurance not carry over, it increases in price each life after you buy it.

I deleted the game once the price of the insurance reached 12000. An interesting game, turned into a lovely cashgrab by stupid developers.

Oh god, I might be done with this game too then. Too bad, it had promise!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

tuyop posted:

I love Terraria but goddamn do I ever hates these iOS touch controls. :argh:

On an unrelated note, is there a goon group playing Galaxy on Fire: Alliances? I'm not sure about the game yet, but it sure is pretty. There are a few mentions of it within the last few pages, but nothing collaborative. I'm okay with the long timers that might frustrate some people; my gamer polarity has been reversing lately and I've been digging FtP games that I can fiddle with for a couple minutes then go about my day (i.e., DragonVale and poo poo).

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 4, 2013

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

bobfather posted:

That's most ios games though. The only ones I like are those that were ported from the PC!

e: it's like rain on your wedding day

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Welp, it seems the latest Pixel People update has a bunch of cool features, including sharing premium upgrades, which I can't access because I don't know anyone on FB who plays. So I made a fake FB account to use for all the drat games that keep demanding I have one.

Any goons who also use real/fake FB profiles for games pls add me :)

https://www.facebook.com/castigious.pimms

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Weirdly enough, I feel like ToF 2 isn't really designed with IAP in mind. It's more of a game of knowing when to cut your losses. Insurance goes up every time you buy it, but after a certain point it's better to buy Twisted Hourglass, which remains the same price at 8000G and does the positives of restarting the game (all bosses are easy again) without any of the negatives (meat / ore reset, equipment slots reset, level reset, key reset).

When you initially start the game a few restarts are unavoidable, since you hit a wall where bosses get difficult faster than you can farm gold off of them. Gold doesn't reset between runs, so if you didn't dump all your gold on rerolling the slots you start the next run with enough saved to hopefully unlock the next area. There's a pretty interesting concept of intuiting power breakpoints and risk/reward in ToF 2.

I'm only on the 5th area, so it might ramp up soon, but while the game is grindy it doesn't have the same "cashgrap IAP" feel to the grind, if that makes any sense.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pahonix posted:

Just wait until there is a slot, then do all the moving around you need in one go. Or, evict a lovely guy then do this. People stamping their feet and whining that Disney don't let the entire IAP system be circumvented by an exploit (apparently you could loop this is something) are a little silly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

RoboCicero posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like ToF 2 isn't really designed with IAP in mind.

Yeah I think the game is pissing me off because I want it to be more like Rogue Legacy, where you level up between runs and you're not starting from scratch every time.

I didn't even know it had IAP until it was mentioned here, so it's not being too up front about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Just wait until there is a slot, then do all the moving around you need in one go. Or, evict a lovely guy then do this. People stamping their feet and whining that Disney don't let the entire IAP system be circumvented by an exploit (apparently you could loop this is something) are a little silly.

I ended up updating the game because it started to run badly and I have still not run into any of the problems that people are complaining about. The game is definitely a money grubbing but it's pretty up front about it and it's still pretty easy to not pay a dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Carcassonne dropped in price for the first time maybe ever. I've never played before, but it's in my wish list for some reason. $7 is still kind of steep, but is it worth it for a very casual gamer?

• Locked thread