Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is. Dungeon Village is great

I've been playing the hell out of it. I read a bit about people getting stuck later on, but I think they must have totally hosed the goat when it came to upgrading their adventurers or something.

Anyways, it also runs on Ye Olde iPod 2nd Gen so if you're a iPod hobo like me scraping by on four year old equipment, it's a really good title for that.

edit: I really should make up a list of actual fun games which still work on retardedly old hardware running an obsolete iOS. Any interest in that, or am I the only one looking for this stuff?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Enemies jump in strength and some adventurers simply never catch up enough and end up sitting dead more often than they're alive and if/when your stronger adventurers clear the fight they waste time carrying said dead weight to town.

Plus you can end up in situations where everyone's in a big fight and KO'd, only to be immediately KO'd when they get up because half a dozen monsters are on top of them and you're stuck waiting for them to all despawn, yet even the strongest bosses drop faster and easier than most multi-enemy fights with the late game stuff. It's a neat game but the balance leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect. I can see people getting pretty hosed if they're in the mass-KO situation when a boss shows up, making them sit unable to do anything for awhile as their town's stats get ruined.

Yeah, this is specifically the stuff I read people complaining about, and frankly it was only a minor issue for a little bit in the late mid-game.

I've beaten it twice now and really if you're having this problem consistently you're cocking up your adventurers somehow, either through lack of developing them (special events pay off big on this), lack of proper equipment, or poor choices of their 2nd/3rd/etc profession.

loving up your annual medal rewards can also contribute pretty significantly to this.

Just my two cents. I love the game and have a ton of fun with it. It has a few flaws, but nothing as show stopping as what I've read some people claim.

I really feel like a lot of people don't use the consumables you can buy to full advantage, either. You'd be amazed how much more cash your buildings bring in when you start getting really aggressive about upgrading their income and desirability with the more expensive commodities.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

What are some of the best iOS management sims available? Football Manager is the obvious choice, although the price makes me hesitant, but I'm looking for similar long term management games (that aren't necessarily sports.)

I'm still having bunch of fun with Dungeon Village.

I got that Lemonade Tycoon game for free via the EA slot machine promo and it's pretty decent too. I don't know how long term it is, but it's not super-short term at the very least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Push notifications are almost always annoying as hell to me. I'm sure there's a handful of games out there that use them well to tell you about when your trees need watering or whatever the gently caress, but I'll be damned if I can think of any right now.

If it's something I paid for I usually have a little mental groan where I assume I just bought something that's going to be crippled and require me to pay more for it.

If it's something free I usually start from the base assumption that there's going to be an annoying mechanic which will get scammy fast and make me delete it within a couple hours.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plants vs. Zombies just went free if you're one of the 3 people in N. America who don't own it yet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

:stare: Does anyone have any idea who this is referring to?

This is a game, right?

Yeah, Akinator has been around in one form or another since, what, the late 90s?

It's basically a 20 questions type thing where the program tries to guess what character you're thinking of.

I think that's a photoshop though, as the font looks suspiciously like a Paint default.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shalinor posted:

HAH. HAH HAH.

No seriously they won't expedite this, I already tried. They will probably ignore my appeal, too. I'm not sure who those processes are for, but I imagine they basically ignore you unless you've got a current or previous chart-topping game / lots of money.

A "restore purchases" button. You can restore purchases by re-buying (and then it says "hey you already own this"), but Apple is apparently being a stickler about there also being a separate button now.

I added one, but it was in an options menu that you got to via an unobtrusive button in the upper right. I will lay odds they just didn't notice it, or decided that it was too subtle.

The button is now much, much less subtle. Which kind of bugs me, but hey, Apple.

Honestly? As much as I'm sure their review process is frustrating, capricious, and difficult to work with in general, I kind of have to agree with them on the "restore purchases" thing. One of the thing I hate about games that have some kind of IAP is that if I have to re-install anything for any reason I"m left trying to guess/remember what the gently caress I bought in some random game two months ago. A button that's pretty explicitly "you are not spending cash, click here to get back any poo poo you did spend cash on before" is an understandable requirement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

Who wants to play a great game? Helsing's Fire is a great game! Made by a goon, too.

http://appshopper.com/games/helsings-fire
http://appshopper.com/games/helsings-fire-lite

Anyone have a list of any other awesome classics that are old as dirt at this point? I just picked this up (well, the lite version - I'll give it a shot and then probably spend some cash on it tonight) because it will actually work on my ancient as gently caress iPod.

Basically anything that has an OS requirement under the 4.2.1 threshold.

edit: Already grabbed King Cashing and those Tactics games mentioned earlier on in this page or the page before. I also play the hell out of 10000000, Dungeon Raid, Solomon's Boneyard, Doom2 RPG, plus a smattering of others.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 1, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sandwich Fight posted:

Knights of Pen and Paper just went free!

Goddamnit, I just came here to post that.

Here, have an itunes link. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id549248038?mt=8

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, I am at the point where I will not buy a game unless there is a lite version to try first. There are so many lovely titles to slog through and the App Store is so bad that I have kinda given up. Puzzle Craft is the only game I have really compulsively played and Crimson Steam Pirates, while more a tech demo then a game, is one of the only ones I have spent any money on. I so want to like iPad gaming but there is just too much crap out there to deal with.

Solution: read this thread, download stuff other people seem to like, use appshopper (and this thread) to score stuff when it goes free if you're not sure you want to spend money on it. I've managed to build up a pretty loving big library of games I can play on my ghetto as gently caress hand-me-down Gen2 iPod that are all really drat decent, and I've got a giant as gently caress backlog of highly recommended games for after I get an iPad later on this summer.

It's basically what I've been doing with games of all types for years now. I refuse to buy anything without checking out what the groupthink consensus is in the Games thread over in that other place.

Truth be told, one broke-back Canadian has more influence on how I spend my money than every Steam sale and advertising dollar in the world, combined.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Okay, so I've been playing The Quest Lite for a while and I was at the point where I needed to get the full version to continue(it's a while in, the lite version gives you a decent amount), so I got The Quest Gold, moved my saves over and I'm in the next city and...

...the game isn't shy about putting random bits like this all over the place; there's a brothel in town too.

Also, earlier,

I think it's pretty neat, but I kinda wasn't expecting this.

In a similar vein, I too have been playing the gently caress out of The Quest Lite and am about to pull the trigger and get The Quest Gold.

Is there a go-to list of what expansions are worth buying and which are poo poo best avoided?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Yeah my problem is I get sniped in the back once I start scooting. I'm guessing I just need to not venture so deep into the badlands before I turn around.

One thing you have to really, really internalize about this game is that it's old school as gently caress when it comes to challenges. Venture too far in one direction and you flat out WILL run into something that will kick your rear end, take your lunch money, and then violate your corpse. Go run and do some other quests in town to get a few levels on you, gear up a little bit, and give it another go. This game is a love song to the era when developers weren't afraid of alienating that key "but I wanna do it NOOOOOOOOW" demographic and certain areas would just slaughter you if attempted too early.

A few basic tips:

1) don't go much S of the town at all for a few levels. There are a couple of quests W, NW, and N on the peninsula that you can do to buff yourself up in the meantime, plus all the random poo poo in the city proper.

2) When you do start venturing S, stick to the road at first. If you start encountering Ogres, you've gone too far. That's pretty much the first big reality check for "are you leveled enough to keep trucking" that the game throws at you.

3) Eventually you will come across a quest that will lead you to needing to kill a Cyclops. This dude will drop 10k gold or something thereabouts. That's officially when it's time to gear the gently caress up, put on your (hopefully high AC) big boy pants, and see what's down past the ogres. If you're playing the light version this is also where you hit the invisible wall and need to buy the full game. That dude who drops the stuff? He's a tough son of a bitch. Stock up on potions etc, buff the hell out of yourself, and go to town. I had my best luck using an awesome bow I got from killing a bunch of amazons for a very slightly earlier quest and using poison arrows that I found in the same spot. It's a tough as poo poo fight, don't be afraid to burn scrolls, wands, potions, etc.

4) This isn't a gear horder game. You have no house, no "safe chest" etc. Again, old school. Find something better than your current weapon? Sell that tired poo poo and move on.

5) Up through the mid-game spell casters can seriously wreck your poo poo. Resist magic is a loving necessity for some fights, be it in spell, potion, scroll, whatever form.

6) Related: alchemy is your friend. Oh holy poo poo. Thankfully you don't need to get it crazy-high, so you can get by just training it as high as you can periodically at trainers.

7) Don't be afraid to use the clunkiness of the engine to your benefit. Everything is a square grid, which means enemies have the same movement restrictions you do. Stepping to the side will effectively avoid that ranged guy, and side-stepping behind a barrier can solve a lot of your problems in life. If you're in a tunnel fighting lots of mean poo poo side-stepping into a side passage can have the nice benefit of giving you first hit on someone who's coming to kick your rear end. Using potions, wants, non-combat spells, etc doesn't use up your turn, either, even if you're paralyzed or under some other lovely effect. You can use all of this to cheese your way out of some really awful, hosed up situations. Seriously, this game feels so much like my misspent childhood of 90s era challenging-but-cheesable RPGs that it's not even funny.

8) Not all builds are equal. You can make a loving devastating build using light weapons + heavy armor and having strength of all things be your dump stat. You really want high int for the innate resistances.

9) get mark and recall spells ASAP. Ideally recall as a learned spell, mark can be a scroll or something. Mark someplace safe (like a town square) and you now have an escape hatch from any fight that you can't win.

. . . yeah, I've been playing too much of this game the last few days :shobon:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Do you recall what magic shop I need to go to buy those? I have only been in the first two towns but neither shops sale them.

Check back in the shops every couple of levels. I think the spells etc. repopulate every now and again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

The Quest is a port of an old game from Palm OS. It's legitimately an old game made with old gameplay conventions, and I wouldn't want it updated to fit modern conventions either. We've got enough of those fuckin things.

It's amazing how much deeper and richer it is than, say, Aralon (one of the few "modern" RPGs I can get over here in my 4.2.1 ghetto). I put off buying it for the longest time mostly because of the price but now I'm really goddamned addicted. It's bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

edit: Jesus, wrong window, wrong thread, and wrong loving sub-forum.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 17, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

I can stump it pretty easily by picking obscure characters from unknown books, but anything from the mainstream is a sure pick for that genie bastard.

Japanese ww2 war criminals and 19th century German politicans who aren't Bismark are pretty easy ways to stump it as well. But yeah, once you get anywhere that's not a completely obscure niche it will nail you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kimitsu posted:

The Isle of 8-bit Treasures is having its first price discount in nearly two years (from $7 to $4, cheaper than when it originally first came out). I probably saw it tossed about as a decent roguelike somewhere (at least, that's why I think its on my wish list), but can I get a goon impression or several before I drop whatever the going McCurrency is on it?

Can someone comment a bit on this beyond that it's old? Is it still, you know, fun? Reading the description it seems like something I could kill some time with. I enjoy rouge-likes, and the idea of leveling up weapons and collecting loot appeals to the video game hoarder in me.

Oh yeah, and the fact that it only needs iOS 3.0 is a huge plus for me, living over here in my Gen 2 iPod ghetto.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can someone comment a bit on this beyond that it's old? Is it still, you know, fun? Reading the description it seems like something I could kill some time with. I enjoy rouge-likes, and the idea of leveling up weapons and collecting loot appeals to the video game hoarder in me.

Oh yeah, and the fact that it only needs iOS 3.0 is a huge plus for me, living over here in my Gen 2 iPod ghetto.

So I went ahead and impulse bought this since there's basically zero decent rogue likes that will work on a Gen 2 ipod.

It sucks. really hard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Well, you could twist it to mean that in five years tablets will be irrelevant in the same sense that regular phones quickly became irrelevant once smartphones became affordable. Pretty clearly not the intention of the quote, but at least it makes more sense.

Define "irrelevant." There are still a fuckload of people out there who can't afford or don't want to pay the current monthly data plans for smart phones and consequently use regular cell phones.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KarmaticStylee posted:

Having played the Brogue port for iPad some more today, I'm surprised it is not more popular around here. Brogue is an excellent roguelike. The port is really well done and the game plays great on the iPad.

Is there a non-asci option? Some kind of tile set, no matter how primitive?

I love roguelikes, but I simply can't do the ascii thing. I can never, ever remember what every letter is supposed to represent, and it just leads to making stupid decisions and dying even more pointless deaths than is the norm for your average rogelike.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aw yiss posted:

I'm looking for something with a pretty deep and rewarding upgrade/level-up system and I'm wondering if Star Command might scratch that itch? If not, any suggestions? As long as the actual gameplay isn't terrible it doesn't much matter if I have a million things to spend my e-points on. It doesn't even matter if it feels a bit grindy a long as I get a lot of choices in the way of customization.

Det_no posted:

Adventure Bar Story is currently free and a neat little game that had some positive buzz back when it came out. Not the prettiest RPG but a pretty solid fit for a mobile.

In a similar vein, Avernum 6 HD has been marked down to $2.99 from $6.99. If you like traditional isometric Western RPGs at all (think Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) you should REALLY be staring hard at this. I haven't had time to fire it up for more than about 5 minutes, but I haven't found anything offensive in the controls yet. It's not a dumbed down port, either, you have the full game. It was running fine on my wife's iPad 1, so I imagine it should be smooth sailing on anything else imaginable.

A quick note on the game: Yes, it's #6. No you don't need to have played 1-5 to get the plot, but if you have you'll appreciate some in-references and the like. The developer is firmly in the "gameplay and story before graphics" camp, but it's not bad looking at all. Certainly not as rough as some of the RPG strategy games which get heaped with goon love. We're not talking beautiful hand-painted backgrounds like BG, but we're also not into developer-grade 'art' assets either.

Anyways, if you want a fully developed, party-driven RPG with a good story that's set in someplace that isn't TSR/WotC IP you NEED to look at this.

omg chael crash posted:

Speaking of, anyone want to fire off some Pen and Paper tips? I'm not looking for an exact, sure fire way to overpower the game, just some general knowledge I should really have.

I too would enjoy some PnP for Newbies tips. I finally got into it this weekend and I'd just like to make sure I'm not humping myself long-term by doing something silly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

This game owns, guys. Get it before it disappears, because the dev is not going to renew his developer account.

Quick question regarding poo poo like this: when this happens, does Apple totally pull it from the app store meaning it's unrecoverable forever?

Let's say you have a totally hosed data loss situation, like a over-the-weekend burglary while you're out of town, where you get 100% cleaned out: computer, tablets, even the backup HDs (yes, I know, "here, there, somewhere else" but I'm not exactly as anal about my iTunes collection as I am about stuff that really matters). After the insurance gets sorted and you get some new gear you go to re-download all your old iTunes purchases.

Somewhere between purchasing it and needing to restore it the dev of some app you like went out of business or whatever, stopped paying his dues, and had his apps pulled from the store.

Are they still up there (just not publicly accessible for purchase) so you can re-download the crap you paid for, or are you just straight hosed?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stormfang1502 posted:

World Conqueror 2 is free at the moment. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet but it seems to be a cross between risk and advance wars. Seems fun so far, and the price is right.

http://appshopper.com/games/world-conqueror-2

I tried this over the weekend and I was really unimpressed. I ended up uninstalling after doing the 3 earliest German campaigns.

I don't know, something about it just irked me. The strategy part seemed really shallow compared even to something like Risk, and the system with the cards didn't seem to work well within it. The wonky as gently caress translations on some of the dialogue from the historical figures didn't help. It just kind of felt really poorly balanced and low-rent.

Give it a shot while it's free, but I just coudln't be bothered to invest more than half an hour into giving it a shot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hippieman posted:

I havn't posted here in a long while, but me and goon haveblue's new game comes out Thursday.

Merchant to the Stars

You play as the owner of the shop that all the RGP heroes visit to sell the stuff they find in dungeons. You buy their items, scrap for parts, upgrade weapons and try to match the right item to a hero who needs it.

It's all done procedurally so there are millions of items with the kind of Diablo 2 style name/rarity patters.

The game is 99 cents and has no IAP. Anyway I just wanted to give a heads up, and I'll do some promo codes later tonight so that people are off from work and can redeem them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnC0f3M10g
Awesome trailer for my button pressing simulator.

This looks really cool.

Seconding the "remind us about this when it hits the store" sentiment, I'd have no problem tossing out $.99 on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Looking for a recommendation on a game.

I'd like something a bit privateer-ish, if that makes any sense. Have a spaceship, fly point A to B, blow crap up, use the procedes from blowing crap up to upgrade your ship to blow crap up better. Ideally it would be a capital ship but whatever.

I know this is vague but I can see what I want in my head and this is an itch I've been trying to scratch for a while.

Yes, I'm aware of Star Command but frankly from watching online videos etc of it I get the feeling that if I plunk down money on that I'm only going to be disappointed. That one just looks too railroaded to be honest.

Honestly I should just deal with it and re-install X3 on my computer but I'm kind of in a time crunch right now and trying to avoid doing any gaming more intensive than what I can get away with on an iPad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrManiac posted:

You might want to wait on this since the 2014 version (which has some deck building) should be coming by the end of the month.

I always wondered at what point some genius decided to kill deckbuilding in those games. I remember there was some ancient as gently caress MtG game back when I actually played physical MtG. This would have been middleschool or way early high school so. . . maybe 1994-8 or so? Anyways even that old as gently caress no-multiplayer (that I was aware of at least) game had deckbuilding as a core feature of it.

You know, because deck building was the whole loving point of the physical game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey - Starship Battles - does anyone know anything about this? Good, bad, awful? Looks like it could scratch that odd little itch I've had.

While I'm at it - Dungeon Plunder I seem to recall this getting some attention a while back. Worth $1.99 or don't bother. I'm really finding that the idea of roguelikes with some kind of inheritance system so that you make some progress every game REALLY appeals to me. Give this a shot, or just keep waiting for Dungeonmans to actually be a thing as opposed to online hopes and vapor?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

I think Cyrano only has an old iPod, so newer games requiring fancy iOS 6 or iPad hardware aren't going to work.

Actually I recently inherited an old iPad, so now I can go all the way up to iOS 5.1 :downs:

I'm fairly shocked at the amount of stuff an iPad 1 will play to be honest. When I agreed to take it I flat out assumed that I was going to be using it 100% for reading .pdfs on the toilette and watching movies in bed.

Believe me, even I'm not so naive as to ask for game recommendations on 3.1 with requirements beyond "will it actually launch?"

edit: thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I've already given some of those a shot and . . . meh. Somehow just too shallow. I don't know, that capital ship space game craving is a very particular itch I'm trying to scratch and all of the iDevice stuff I've seen so far is just majorly lacking in some area.

The idea I have in my head need not even be that hardware intensive, but unfortunately it seems that just about every iOS space game is either terrible bucket-ware free poo poo or catering to the "WHOA, high def space explosions IN MY HANDS :aaa: " demographic.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 3, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, speaking of which:

In my quest (:ninja: edit - oh jesus that was unintentional :rimshot: ) for a good rogue-like or at least similar feeling permadeath type game with a good inheritance structure I found a game that is absolutely pure loving genius. I swear it's unsearchable on the App Store as well. I found it via an advertisement in a goddamned RPG dice rolling app of all places and I still want to know why I felt compelled to click on it because I NEVER click through on adds.

Sword & Glory (I suspect the unfortunate ampersand coupled with the other two rather common title words has something to do with it being loving crazy hard to search for that app in the app store).

Basically you're a Norse warrior of some kind, you're born, and. . . that's it. Go out and interact with your community. FIght feuds. Search for treasure. Kill stuff. Be killed. Subsequent characters inherit the Epic Points you earn (so an absolutely glorious death in a good cause is actually a desired thing) but not your silver, which lends an odd twist to your decisions on how to spend what amount to two types of currency. If there's IAP I haven't found it yet. I mean, there MUST be, right? If it's there it's super discrete and totally unneeded.

Oh yeah, and the game is straight up free.

The combat system is really simple yet surprisingly hard to master and works great on the iPad. I imagine it would be even better on a phone just because of the size of the device. iPad Mini would probably be ideal.

The art style is great too. Kind of a black and white line drawing thing going on with color used very sparingly and for emphasis here and there. I don't know, kind of has a Sin City vibe to it.

Anyways, it's absolute loving genius and I am terribly addicted to it. This is the first iOS game where I really want to send the devs a few bucks. Here's the developer's webpage. Apparently they're Finnish and I guess they're still in business.

Fake edit: Just fired up the game and yeah, you can purchase more epic points. Problem is I don't want to because managing that across multiple iterations of characters is kind of a core part of the gameplay. I need to email these guys and find out if they have a paypal that I can send a few bucks to because drat if I don't want to gently caress up my game with an obvious easy mode cheat but wow I'm loving this and want to buy them a drink.

real edit: Oh poo poo I"m playing it again. Seriously, this thing is loving heroin. It's combining Norse poo poo, kinda-history poo poo, and RPG poo poo into one terrible cocktail that I swear was brewed specifically for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goferchan posted:

This game is pretty tight OP but seems kind of easy so far. Attacked everyone I could in the starting town and pretty much effortlessly slaughtered them, hope I come across something soon that causes my clanless, /r/atheism subscribing, ex-slave warrior to bite the dust because the permadeath system sounds cool.

Just wait. This game can get loving brutal about you getting in over your head and all of a sudden being in an honor duel with someone you are going to flat out lose to. I'm in my longest running game yet and I got there by learning humility and backing the gently caress down on occasion to avoid fights.

The key is to pick on the small and the weak as much as you can, buff the gently caress out of your guy, and only fight truly challenging opponents when the pay off is going to be well worth it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, in case you didn't notice it yet, there are a series of exits along the top of your home village map that lead to various quests and adventures. Those will flat murder you. Stay home. :ohdear:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

UglyDucklett posted:

I had a strong feeling that would happen, figured i'd wait until i was leveled enough to beat the fighting arena on hard consistently or until quests run out. I am tough poo poo in bear land though, playing defensively and with extra dominance to outdamage the enemy then finish them with a flurry of quick strikes.

Careful you don't fart around too long, you'll get old and slow.

No, really. You'll age and become a decrepit old man unworthy of a warrior's death in battle :black101:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sword & Glory thoughts and tips:

Yeah, there's a rock/paper/scissors thing going on with the attacks. I forget the precise details, but if you ask your brother for "brotherly advice" about combat in the early game he'll spell it out. I THINK it's Careful -> Power -> Fast -> Careful. Then there's the issue of domination which I'm not QUITE sure how that works yet but I gather if both of you hit at the same time it the higher domination attack goes through. I think I've noticed it bypassing the R/S/P mechanic as well at extreme enough values.

The permanent progression things I've noticed so far are the items and also the character unlocks. THere are a TON of hte latter. Basically you have to *gasp* loving RP your character and act as you think he would act and you can unlock perks for later guys to use. I had a dude who ran around basically being a really nice loving guy and killing the motherfucking poo poo out of people in the name of "compassion" and he unlocked a perk where people can get 25% more glory for being compassionate. I had another guy unlock some trader specific perk by going on a trading expedition to motherfucking Kiev and coming back with buttloads of money.

The game is seriously ALL ABOUT the perk system. They claim that there are over 200 of the things.

Also, your total honor is another non-displayed variable (actually I think it's displayed here and there, but it's super discrete). For example, if you play 3 games and die at 3k, 12k, and 35k honor respectively your total honor gained is 50k. There are some unlocks that automatically happen at 150k, 200k etc, or you can pay Glory to unlock them now if you're impatient.

I think there are also some items that are unlocked by specific quests. At least I got a blurb flashed at me on the intro screen once that there was an axe or something you could get via Silver in the Dark. I still haven't killed that loving Darkspawn, though so <:mad:>

The best way to get to middle age that I've yet found is to be super conservative in your fights. Always pick on the weak, always try to level way the gently caress up before hitting any of the obviously hard quests (Silver in the Dark, etc) and so on. Problem is that you frequently end up with an over-all lower honor game and even equal-level fights can get to be a bitch once you hit middle aged and start getting poo poo like -2 stam and -30% stam regen thrown on you.

What can I say, sticking swords in people is a young man's game. Live fast, die young, ride a flaming boat into the void :black101:

Motherfucking iOS GOTY right here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving awesome. I really hope that these guys completely defy the odds with this six-month late burst of interest in their game and turn some decent coin off it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

That's kind of the problem with big name iOS games. I don't want a scaled down Deus Ex for my iPhone, I want a wholly new game, in the Deus Ex universe, designed from the ground up to fit the device. Sort of like the Metal Gear Solid game for game boy. Still MGS, but made with its limited capabilities in mind. A top down/isometric or even free camera grid and turn-based game would be ideal, for me at least. It can still be hella Deus Ex without being Deus Ex.

This is the problem with iOS games in general and part of why I love Sword & Glory so much. Good iOS games are designed for iOS. They aren't ports, they aren't scaled down big titles, they're games that look at the hardware and its unique capabilities and limitations and build a game from there. This is why so many people intuitively hate virtual buttons and joysticks - it's trying to cram games designed for other platforms into something that isn't and never will be an Xbox or a PC or a Game Boy or whatever the gently caress.

You have an accelerometer, a touch screen, and maybe even a couple of cameras. Use that poo poo, make it integral to the game play, and don't try to fake having a mouse or a keyboard or a d-pad or whatever.

randombattle posted:

Man what this looks amazing and sounds kick rear end. Why would someone hate this?! More Deus Ex is good! Even bad Deus Ex (I'm looking at you 2) is still fun!

I am usually the last person in the world to say an opinion is bad. I loving hate that BS where people say "you have terrible opinions, this is a wrong opinion, you are a terrible person."

This quote? The bolded part?

You have terrible opinions.

This is a wrong opinion.

You are a terrible person.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

Noooope. The Quest is a port of old rear end Palm pilot software. They have produced new expansions since, but I wouldn't expect them to rejigger their assets to fit the iPad.

They just released an update to accommodate some new expansion which forced them to require IOS5 or something like that. Previously it worked just fine on my old rear end IOS 3.whatever 2nd gen iPod. That's one app file I sure as poo poo saved the gently caress out of. Gonna keep Questing on the crapper forever.

It works OK on the iPad if you 2x it though (at least the previous version did, dunno about this one) albeit a touch uglier.

I'm guessing this update is the reason for killing off the Lite version too.

edit:

Juc66 posted:

My client just showed me the trailer they've made for the game I've been working on for them, I think it's looking pretty nice.
It's Forces of Nature, basically a 2d side scrolling tower defence game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPYoysayXs

Did they have an older version that used god awful 3d graphics? I have vague memories of playing something that felt exactly like that and oh my god it sucked so hard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Juc66 posted:

I'd be surprised if they did, my clients are 2 brothers and their cousin and as far as I can tell this is their very first journey into the world of vidya games.

Found it: http://www.appshopper.com/games/plants-war

It's called Plants War and it's an aaaaaaawwwwful DOTA clone.

Not saying your clients game is this, or that it represents what your clients are doing, but it's what I was reminded of when I saw that clip. I don't know, maybe something to be aware of? Maybe not?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

Well, the title screen says +1 Edition so I think that's a fair assumption.

Something I just noticed dicking around with it: if you rotate to landscape mode it zooms out a bit and, well, gives you a landscape view of what the gently caress you're looking at.

Makes the game look 100x better imho, especially on a tablet.

edit

haveblue posted:

If anyone's still waiting for a status update on Merchant to the Stars, we've finalized the feature set of the first patch and will be submitting it probably within the next few days. All the timers have been vastly reduced, there's an acceleration mechanic if they still take too long, a couple of major bugs have been fixed, and it supports iOS 5 now. I'll post the detailed release notes once it's fully out.

This is awesome. I really, really wanted to try it out but my newest device is a first gen ipad that's stuck at OS 5.whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hey, super lazy question about Magic 2014 that I could honestly just google but am too lazy to do even that:

Is this one designed around actual deck building or is it one of those deals where you're locked into pre-defined decks?

If the former is there anything stupid/silly like sticking you with a pre-defined mix of lands or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Voodoo posted:

It's not pay2win - it's more like pay-2-collect-all-of-the-pokemon-esq-monsters. Throw in a little gem-matching, some evolution/upgrade elements, and boom, you have a game that somehow just prints money.

Yeah, I've been using it as a pooping game for the last month or so, logging in once a day to get my free poo poo and not paying a goddamned dime. I'm never going to be some crazy top-tier god player, but you sure as poo poo don't need to pay real money to progress in the game or get that basic "I evolved my crazy Japanese monster based on Judeo-Christian mythology" fix.

• Locked thread