Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kuai posted:

Has anyone tried any of the Cave plethora shooters? I am really itching to try one but would really like to get an honest opinion on them.

I'm a super casual shmup player and I like every one I've played. I'd suggest getting the recent one that was made specifically for iOS. Dodonpachi Maximum I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just made myself sad by realizing how perfect House of the Dead would be on iOS. This is why I should learn to make games. Are there even any on rails shooters around?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Rokstar posted:

Somewhat odd question: Are there any decent slots apps out there that aren't just blatant IAP cash grabs?

Slots - Pharoah's Way is the absolute best. I've tried every single one that has active developers and it clearly wins. I've never had to buy IAPs and you get on plenty of hot streaks. It's optimized for the 5 and game center and doesn't have any stupid janky graphics or slowdown. The theme might get tiring since it's only Egypt themed but you unlock enough different games to stay involved. It's fast, clean, and fair. Really all you could want in a mobile slots game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Kins posted:

Square-Enix posted up a teaser image that, according to a iTunes URL in the site's Javascript (oops!) is for a universal iOS game called Final Fantasy: All The Bravest.

Given the acronym matching with the series "Active Time Battle" system, the composition matching a typical FF battle, and the recycling of the Collossus/Intangir sprite from FF6, this is probably a best-of-FF-combat sort of thing.

Well, I'm excited. I've been really happy with what Square-Enix has done with iOS and I'd love a straight up combat focused game. If it's like theaterhythm but ff battles I'm in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

goferchan posted:

Whoa please play Year Walk-- awesome puzzle/horror/"art" game. Maybe kind of short for the price point but production values and atmosphere are awesome. A few of the puzzles are kind of weird, but I was still able to beat it without having to look anything up. Also make sure to download the (free) companion app, it's a good education on how morbid and hosed up Scandinavian folklore can get.

Edit: and I don't want to spoil anything but there's a great, creepy "meta-story" going on... I dont want to spoil it but definitely worth checking out the companion app.

Scandinavian folklore? Yessss. Such an underused awesome theme. I'm definitely giving that a look.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How did I somehow avoid the AVP game coming tonight? It looks awesome.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kaizoku posted:

Is it something with my iPhone 5, or does this seriously only work in portrait?

It's an amazing game with the most ridiculous controls ever. Seriously, it's made for babies? Little baby fingers!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Corridor posted:

I'm thinking of checking out King Cashing 2 since you guys can't shut up about it. Does it matter that I never played the first one?

Nah, definitely not. Both are fun but 2 is basically the same game expanded into something way more thought out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jefferoo posted:

Yes, and Jesus Christ is it lethal. Also someone offered me steroids in the parking lot. I turned them down, naturally. Then I beat a guy by tap out and he started a feud with the ref over it because I knocked the ref unconscious to get away with stabbing my opponent with aforementioned giant Bowie knife. Amazing career mode.

I think I might need this game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well Angry Birds Space just had an update where they announce a collaboration with SLASH (you know, the guitar player) so the theme song in the app is done by him now.

Hahahaha, what

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stormfang1502 posted:

Is anyone else playing Block Fortress? It's a tower defense/FPS/block building game from Foursaken (the guys behind Heroes & Castles and Bug Heroes). Base building is so much fun in this game and the number of turrets and arms is impressive. Before each wave of enemies you get to build and upgrade your base with various walls, turrets, and other support infrastructure like mines and power generators then fend off ever increasing numbers of enemies.

I honestly don't see how Foursaken keeps cranking out the hits but I'm not about to look that gift horse in the mouth!

http://appshopper.com/games/block-fortress

I really wanting to try this but I'm a bit cautious for some reason. It sounds super addicting if the gameplay is smooth and works well. Oh gently caress it it's $2 and :420: and I need something to occupy me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iOS is just settling into it's own situation now. It had a huge boom and everyone flocked to it so the success stories and randomly awesome games were always showing up. It's not fresh or unbelievably exciting like it was around the iPad 2/3 launch and that's not a "bad" thing, it's just the way things go. I definitely think the next consoles will pull away a few iOS focused development but the mobile gaming core will still around unless something really goes wrong. Even in this low period there are always two or three fun games being released each week.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any decent iOS roguelikes? I'm not talking about ports, they just don't play very well. I've tried 100Rogues but I'm kind of turned off of it now given all the bugs, which is unfortunate, as it's really close to what I'm craving.

Echoing Dungeon Plunder. It's the roguelike iOS has needed for a really long time. It's really well made in terms of not feeling like a roughly controlled pc port.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loudog999 posted:

If they could find a way to make the none combat control less clunky this could be my favorite iOS game, as it is now, it really is a fund game to gently caress around with.

This sounds really fun. I've wanted a nice bloody slice fest for a while and I'm bored of IB at the moment. Downloading it now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is the best $5 I've ever spent on the App Store. I don't think I'll need another shmup for a long time. How did this slip under the radar?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Armed Neutrality posted:

Ridiculous Fishing is great, I haven't enjoyed an iOS game this much in a long, long time. And no IAPs! :swoon:

Same here, I've been playing it all morning. The unlock progression really pulls you along nicely.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The 360 version of XCOM is 7.2 GB so I'm really curious to see how it's going to be really small at an even higher resolution. I don't want to doubt the game because I'm definitely excited but I don't know how they can pull it off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I started Year Walk yesterday and I definitely agree. I'm slightly lost but it doesn't matter. The gameplay is so fluid so I'm not getting that "stuck in an adventure game" bore fest. The atmosphere of the game is amazing to lose yourself in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't used it yet but that might be why there's a free companion app to go with it. I'm sure it helps.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don't even think of getting 16. Get the 32. Seriously, don't even question it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've realized that puzzle/runner/strategy/point and click/blatantly designed for iPhone and nothing else games are the only things that stick for me on the iPhone. Using my 3DS for gaming is infinitely more fun and rewarding. The devs who try to put huge actiony console games on a phone are totally missing the point of the platform if you ask me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nimble Quest controls perfectly. It's extremely responsive. Anyone complaining about it hindering the game and making the difficulty unfair are just bad at the game. Sounds harsh but that's really the truth. It's alright if you want other control schemes to fit your personal taste but any statements about the controls not being responsive and consistent seem blatantly wrong.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doom Classic is great and it's probably as good as it gets when it comes to virtual controls. Not as good as a controller of course but it works.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Angry Bjorks is the only good game on iOS.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there any good new iPhone 5 optimized "jewel matching" games? I'm in the mood to get into one. I just grabbed Bejeweled Blitz but I'm sure there are others.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So are you guys adding each other in the new appshopper app? It's nice but without friends it's a bit lacking.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Injustice is the best iOS game I think I've ever played. I haven't had the virtual heroin like this in a while. Should I be worried about hitting a paywall? Honestly I don't even care, take my money.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I could get in on the crab fun on my iPhone 5 since that's the iOS device I usually use. I guess I could suck it up and bust out the iPad. I am a big fan of crabs after all.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shalinor posted:

You know you want to bust out the iPad for that.

Oh fiiiiiine. I can't say no to that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone care about this poo poo? Lets just talk about games.

The biggest issue with iOS gaming is people thinking about it. It's a market of free time killers and a bunch of somewhat deep games around the price it takes to burg out at McDonald's. Take a poo poo, play what you want, move on. It really doesn't matter and the beauty of mobile gaming is the lack of commitment it takes to stay involved. Oh god I broke the first rule of poop club.

And dude who said bad things about Animal Crossing. Nah, don't do that. Let's fight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Goons, what was the last game you lost a huge chunk of time on thanks to casual binging? I'd love to find something as addicting as 10000000 and sink into the couch with it for hours.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How well does Frozen Synapse run on the iPad 3?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just made this post over in another thread and was wondering if there's anything on iOS like this. It's not the ideal market for such a game but I'd love it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm in the mood for something very intense and heart exploding. Doesn't really mean difficult, more like brutal, tense, maybe scary. The most recent examples I've played are Hotline Miami and Max Payne 3. I'm curious about if Payday 2 and The Last of Us are like this. I've been on a random PS3 binge so I think it's time I try the latter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

marshmonkey posted:

Help the Empire build the ultimate 8-bit power in the universe in the upcoming mobile game Star Wars: Tiny Death Star!

I am so ready for this. So ready.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a list of airplay games anywhere? I just got an Apple TV and it's surprisingly hard to find games that work with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Had anyone had the issue in Tapped Out where a ton of your buildings disappear? Happened to my gf this morning and we're trying to figure out how to get things fixed. Googling led her to uninstalling, logging out, etc soft fixes and nothing helped.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Helmacron posted:

Yeah, Boom Beach and Tapped Out just got combined, unfortunately the app internal update has only been rolled out in some countries, letting like people from Canada attack Australia, or whatever, but not vice versa. It just looks like everything disappears to them because their online poo poo just got annihilated. They said it should be universal today or tomorrow, and next week Temple Run 2 is getting some limited integration as well. Exciting times.

I appreciate the help but I don't think we're on the same topic here, haha.

If anyone knows anything about the disappearing buildings in Tapped Out I would love to figure it out. EA is taking a while to get back on the issue.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wayward Souls is the best iOS game I've played in forever, good job guys! I usually hate these kind of controls but you nailed it. I always feel like I'm in control and able to maneuver around surprisingly well. Count me in for the possibility of a Vita port too, sounds great! A PS4 port would be even better but I suppose that's quite a bit more difficult.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fix posted:

I'm just glad it let me stop.

No kidding, this is the most addicting iOS game I've played in forever. I can't stop. It's anime coin hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dragon Coins is stupid as hell, flashy, full of weird nostalgia, free and playable for free. It's not hard to "get", come on. Sitting in front of a slot machine is completely pointless and dull too but it's addicting because it feels good for whatever idiot human triggers it sets off in our brains. The game is that with RPG and Pokemon mechanics thrown in. It's begging you to have mindless fun.

• Locked thread