Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I will grant that, but the price of an app is inversely proportional to my willingness to suffer through problems that app has.

Especially since I have a gameboy micro with FFTA sitting in my coat pocket :ninja:

Why would you willingly own a copy of FFTA? At least replace it with a copy of TO:Knight of Lodis, AKA the game FFTA wants to be.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've been playing the hell out of it. I read a bit about people getting stuck later on, but I think they must have totally hosed the goat when it came to upgrading their adventurers or something.

Enemies jump in strength and some adventurers simply never catch up enough and end up sitting dead more often than they're alive and if/when your stronger adventurers clear the fight they waste time carrying said dead weight to town.

Plus you can end up in situations where everyone's in a big fight and KO'd, only to be immediately KO'd when they get up because half a dozen monsters are on top of them and you're stuck waiting for them to all despawn, yet even the strongest bosses drop faster and easier than most multi-enemy fights with the late game stuff. It's a neat game but the balance leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect. I can see people getting pretty hosed if they're in the mass-KO situation when a boss shows up, making them sit unable to do anything for awhile as their town's stats get ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Is there an easy way to find out if games do cloud saving properly? This thread is resulting in me blowing up my iPad's storage space and I don't know if I can delete unfinished older games or not :ohdear:

Use iFunbox and backup your games' save files.

Clocks posted:

$160 is child's play in this context. We're talking about hundreds or even thousands of dollars. A better example would be free-to-play MMOs maybe. I was reading earlier how in guild wars 2 someone spent a grand to try to get a set of minipets or something that had a low drop chance during the holiday.

IIRC the term for these people is 'whale' and yeah, they are the "spent X-thousand dollars over the last few months on IAP" people. You find them in MMOs like Dungeon Fighter, they're the people running around with new sets of event items on their characters because, hey, it's only $300 to buy a new set of avatars for my characters so why not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I can finally start to show off the game I've been working on - Jones On Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfWj-PHaHWk

... and yes, before you ask, it's an auto-runner - but! I've put a lot of time into the gameplay physics. It's not a genero one. This is a solid-feeling platformer where I just happen to have welded the run-right button down, to try and simplify the controls for mobile (in point of fact, the engine is powering the very not-autorunner platformer/Metroidvania thing I'm working on next). It's also built around levels and progression, rather than straight-up high scores. I'm trying to hit a middle ground between static levels and endless.

If that looks like something you'd dig, I'm just about to where I need some gameplay testers. No fancy bug reports necessary, I just need people that will play the game and tell me what is or isn't fun. Hit me up at megan@glassbottomgames.com or PM me with your TestFlight account details (if you don't have a TestFlight account, they're easy to make and free).

IAP suggestion: Ability to replace the cats with other animals.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Has anyone played Exitium and if so, what're your thoughts on it? I got it for free recently and it looks like it's a Zenonia-style top down adventure game, only the sprites have a 'SNES game run through a high res filter' look which seems more aesthetically pleasing.

omg chael crash posted:

Is Dragon Island Blue the Pokemon clone that isn't terrible? And is Hunters 2 worth the 5 dollar price tag? I think it looks neat, but I feel like I've been burned recently on purchases.

Dragon Island Blue isn't bad. There are some balance issues and getting Dragons is going to be costly and tedious unless you've mastered the timing on the wheel you spin, but you don't really need a bunch of dragons. Dragoons with Concussion do completely own, though. The dungeon exploration is about as basic as can be but the combat is pretty well done and I played it long enough to do every single quest and get to the last totem. You can play through without using IAP but they can be used to get things early if you feel the need. I'd probably give it a 7 out of 10.

If you get it, capture a Notos early on and level it until it evolves. The evolved form is extremely powerful and you'll find it useful through the rest of the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

suboptimal posted:

I've been having an absolute blast with Hunters 2. It's a fun game, and even though the main campaign is short, the devs add new "daily contracts" every 24 hours.

So is this mainly single or multiplayer? I saw it has a solo campaign but is there a big focus on playing against(or with?) other people?

xzzy posted:

You're on a mission to the top of a tower where you need to prevent two frogs from loving otherwise the pilot in a passing plane will get distracted and crash.

So it's a new Tower of Druaga game? The lack of friend codes and anime cats greatly worries me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Oh my god no. The Dungeon Story update erased my progress. All that time wasted, aagh.

At least the game looks prettier now. :smith:

Did it wipe building levels and class unlocks as well? I couldn't imagine starting over from nothing, especially not having the Fast game speed until you beat the game once (which is dumb as hell).

If you use programs like iFunbox you might be able to get saves from someone so that a new game would hurt less if nothing else. :smith:

e: I'm going to end up playing that drat Blockhead game because of you people talking about it. This is how I lost countless hours due to Battle Cats. :argh:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Is Clash of Clans the one where you can pay something like $900 to just outright win a battle or was that something else?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

supersteve posted:

How are you guys getting food in blockheads? My dude is starving and I am quite worried.

Easy* method for a character:
I decided to try and do a lap of the world when I started playing. One of the Equators (west, I think) gives a hat that sets a person to fully-fed when they wear it. If you never take it off they never get hungry. Take it off and they get hungry over time like normal. Put the hat on them when they need food. Be warned that a starving, freezing person takes a long loving time to get through the north pole but the hat from it takes care of the weather-related issues for them.

*this was boring as gently caress and you should not do it because it literally takes hours.

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Yup, ALL progress lost.

If anyone knows what file(s) affect the stuff that's unlocked, if it doesn't just go off of the saved games, I can pull them from my game and put a zip up somewhere. I think I have all the classes unlocked (even though most in the game are useless) and not all my buildings are maxxed, but the more useful ones (melee/archery range, circus, inn) are.

TACD posted:

Oh poo poo, you guys. I never bothered with Minecraft or Terraria but all you loving jokesters raving about it, I thought I'd give it a shot.

You should (play Terraria, 2D supremacy), and follow the Starbound thread because it'll probably be the next good world builder when it eventually comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's usually the #1 paid top grossing app, not just for games, but for the entire app store. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I hope Square starts to learn its lesson regarding pricing. That new rhythm game kills me--I would actually like to play it, but the bizarre pricing scheme is so stupid and unfair that I can't justify it. But at least the F2P model makes more App Store sense than $16 or whatever for FFT. Which was practically unplayable, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm interested in seeing what this new thing is, but I am skeptical as hell.

P.s. dear square please make theatrhythm way way cheaper, or at least the same price as the same goddamn game you released on 3DS.

Good news, Square has decided this new game will use the same bullshit price-gouging setup because they probably have enough people paying to make it worth repeating. Looking forward to having to spend $50+ if I want to have all the content from a game that cost them a fraction of what they spend on console game development! :confuoot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ketheriel posted:

I've played FF All the Bravest for awhile and, like Evil Fluffy said, it's essentially a giant IAP sink for people too into the brand and who want to see their favorite characters rendered in sprite form. Pretty inexcusable for even a free game, but they charge for the app itself as well. Sucks. I was really excited about the concept, and had hoped it would be so awesome, my dick would rocket through my pants and off into the sun. Instead, it just fell into a puddle.

So how many levels does the base game come with as well? I'm trying to gauge how huge a bag of dicks SE needs to go eat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Final Fantasy: All the Bravest (ATB, get it!?) is a bad mobile game. The gameplay is nothing about active time battles or choosing attacks or anything. You tap the right side of the screen furiously and watch the numbers go. The references are not clever and the recycled sprites don't mesh well together. It's not fun and it doesn't look charming.

Notice how the game looks like crap until the FF theme kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaj8IT63pok

The game tries to push IAP in three ways, but all can be avoided. In order to keep playing vs waiting half an hour you can buy golden hourglasses. To get "premium characters," heroes from previous FF games, it's a buck. There are 35 premium characters and each buck chooses one randomly so you might spend 30 bucks before you get Kuraudo~. Lastly there are four world tickets for $4 each. Midgar or Zanarkand or some FFXII area themed levels. That's $42 for all the characters and levels.

Get Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings or FFIV again before picking this one up. If you must own everything Final Fantasy, if Moogles make you squee, or if the FF overture really gets your rocks off then this is a must-buy.

This can't be repeated enough. The game's just loving terrible and if you buy everything you're basically paying $50 ($35 for premium characters, $16 for 4 more worlds, plus the initial purchase) for something any other company might charge $5 for, not that it's even worth that. Apparently increasing your groupsize is done by social media link whoring as well.

Unless you simply have to own a game because it has Final Fantasy in its name there's no reason to buy this poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pretty much. I think they've realized that instead of spending tens of millions to make an HD tunnel runner they can use a fraction of that to have dozens of money grab apps made and enough people will pay based on the name that they'll turn a profit.

FFD's pricing was bad, but F:ATB are full blown "gently caress you, it's Final Fantasy so pay up."

Plus FFD was actually a game where you did more than rub the screen without having to look at it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nickoten posted:

Has anyone tried Heroes and Castles, by the way? It looks pretty interesting. Kinda reminds me of that old "Defend Your Castle" flash game but you're on the field.

It looks similar to Castle Master 3D:
http://www.appshopper.com/games/castle-master-3d

Hopefully it doesn't become such a horrible slog/IAP whore as you progress like CM does.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fazana posted:

For the four of you that don't read Toucharcade or have the app installed, it seems a mame emulator has sneaked onto the appstore again. Grab it before it's gone!

http://appshopper.com/games/gridlee

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/26/mame-is-back-in-the-app-store-for-now-with-gridlee/

Grabbed this, curious to see how it runs even though I'll probably not use it beyond the novelty check. It's taking forever to download though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So Beastie Bay is partially a town builder (like Dungeon village) but instead of uncontrolled NPCs running around it's a monster catch/raise/fight game like pokemon and you actually get to play (and explore a world?) instead of watch the AI play and fight stuff?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dvlos posted:

Oh my god I just got addicted to Game Dev Story, and I'm stuck :( how do you get more points towards innovation and realism etc, and I seem to hit a ceiling with my staff 50-55 on graphics and sound unless I hire some outside guy for bajillions.

:(

Making things that match well ups the level as you do it more and more.

Also there's a bug where if you do the most expensive talent hunting it will sometimes not charge you the contract fee for the hires, meaning you can get top-quality people without paying anything else but their salary when that rolls around.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Laserface posted:

Man I really wish it was a requirement of developers to accurately portray what you are paying for in a game. I spent $3 on a game last night and half the poo poo is locked away by absurd amounts of in-game currency. OH THANKFULLY FOR ME THOUGH, I CAN BUY IT ALL FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $15!!

I mean I just paid $3 under the assumption the game was actually complete. I basically paid for a loving demo of the game. Apple should be forcing developers to clearly display this in the description on the app store.

I feel like by the time I have kids I will sound senile and crazy with my "back in my day you bought a game, and you actually got the whole thing!"

I'd ask which SquareEnix game you bought, but it couldn't be them because the unlock costs were only $15.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So for anyone that's played Beastie bay, got any tips? It seems like I get food incredibly slowly and going through a dungeon kills my food stores. early in the game, leaving me with a lot of "sit on your rear end and do nothing" time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

So I'm going on a biz trip next week, and will have lots of time (12 hours) in aircraft and airports with only my lowly iPad to keep me entertained. I've played through:

Sword and Sworcery
Tactical Warrior
Dungeon Village
Beneath a Steel Sky

And gotten my fill of:

Hunters 2
Galaxy on Fire HD
Space Shuttle Landing Simulator Dealie
Sky Gamblers
GTA Chinatown
New Star Soccer

I need some single player non-internet games for the flight. Maybe adventure games or an actiony thing? Platformers don't really grab me, and tower defense doesn't do it either. Not for long term at least.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Infinity Blade
Battle Cats
Zenonia/Exitium/Various (Korean) Adventure games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ores are fused with gear.

I fused 3 iron ore with a wooden claw and got an iron claw a wooden knife. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Wait, did it delete your cloud save when you uninstalled it? Isn't the whole point of cloud saves that it... saves it?

I found this out the hardway when I removed Infinity Blade 2 and lost a game I'd played for probably 30-40 hours. Removing an app completely nukes all related save files on that device and the cloud.

And that is why I now regularly back up my apps on my PC using iFunbox, especially if I need to remove one for any reason. It also comes in handy when changing to a new device, like transferring saves from an iPhone to an iPad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Telex posted:

I know it's probably a goddamn idiotic idea since we're in "the future" and all, but what about selling games via game codes in retail outlets? Seems like having a box on a shelf in a store creates remarkable visibility for games, such that a game is profitable on a console system with 1/10 the user base of the idevices, and sells for $40.

If your game is premium, why let it just sit in the App Store and have people find it? Surely the costs incurred with putting unique codes into physical form would be significantly less if your well-made AAA-worthy title were able to sell copies that way. The App Store is lovely. Retail outlets move things. Sell a game for $20 with a physical card, make more money.

It bums me out that a platform like the iOS devices is unsustainable somehow, because I'm not buying IAP games and there are very few compelling experiences on iOS that are worth it.

Brick and Mortar stores are suffering in large part due to the fact they are being made obsolete by digital distribution, be it for mobile gaming, physical delivery (or digital) via amazon, or direct downloads like in Steam.

Why would anyone go to a store to buy a code to download a game when the developer can sell the game online directly and cut out that middle man they no longer need, thus letting them keep more of the sales money? What you're suggesting is that stores offer something that is generally an inconvenience, in the hopes that enough people will buy stuff from them they might not have bought otherwise.

xzzy posted:

Oh yeah, so what came first? The free apps or the demand for free apps? :iiam:

Developers knew the demand would be there in part due to F2P MMOs having met with success. This excludes free aps that run ads, since they're still getting their money just from another source.

eeenmachine posted:

Really the App Store would be perfect if they only allowed premium games costing between $5-$10, didn't allow price fluctuations, and only allowed a certain amount of games to be released so consumers weren't flooded with options.

I can only go with this being a joke because of how much it flies in the face of reality.

Is Sim city on iPad any good? Last one I played was Sim City 4, but haven't really been in to the series since Sim City 2000 (maybe the new one will be good despite Origins and the 'always online' poo poo).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm looking for either something Pokemon-y or Fire Emblam/X-COM-y to play on my iPad. Are there some must-plays in either of those genres?

Dragon Island Blue is kind of pokemon-ish.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Here's hoping the update doesn't include a bunch of IAP to unlock jobs as well :ohdear:

I'd pay a couple bucks to unlock Dark Knight rather than spend a day grinding it per person.

But this is SE so it'd probably be :10bux: to unlock a single easy to get job, like Summoner, for a single character instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Rocks+ solar panels= all trees near them can become legendary trees.

Edit: oops I misread that. Sometimes you got to redo areas until you get the red chest for it.

This poo poo confuses me so much. I had a grassy plain upgrade in to hills yesterday and since I don't have the option to move stuff around yet I haven't started loving with the layouts. There's not much point to do this before year 6 right?

e: What affects the amount of XP monsters get from mentors, and would anyone have a magic word for a really good mentor (or several) they'd have to share?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 16, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Our game is finally just about out. We're already in Apple's review process, and we release this Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQlrH16WeJI

Will it have day 1 IAP to replace the cats with other animals? Turtles, puppets, swarms of platypus...etc?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Teddybear posted:

As a gay I am always pretty sick of giant anime tits in video games.

I'm almost positive that it has to work, that there are guys dull enough to go "phwoar, lookit dem boobs" and click and download just to stare at breasts while they're playing, because why else would they keep doing it? I mean, I guess that's why Dead or Alive went from a fighting game series to a boobjiggling game series.

There's no reason to ever expect that "sex sells" wasn't going to apply to video games and there's lots of people who will pick game A over game B if A gives them barely clothed/legal anime waifus.

Teddybear posted:

If you have a suggestion for a new one I'm probably gonna get one tonight, it's gonna derail too many threads. I'm leaning towards just a big :3:, but with the current title that comes off as... Menacing.

Give yourself a picture of whatever and change the text to a link of his confession?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Duranki posted:

Well, this is a thing. I...don't even know where to begin. Cat Pokemon with wearable bread?

I like that the game's icon is a cat with a "what the gently caress is wrong with this designer" look on their face.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bummey posted:

Meanwhile, another instantly crashing slot machine masquerading as a Pokemon game is passed through without so much as a second glance and makes it to the top 5.

And Gridlee is still up, despite being little more than a means of getting a MAME emulator on iOS.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

And it's wonderful. :buddy:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'm looking for a game somewhere in between Knights of Pen and Paper and stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics. I love KoP&P's pace and that there's not much filler, but I wish there was more customization and strategy. FFT is really excellent. It has the depth, but battles can take way too long just to whack 4 monsters 3 times each, and then plus the story it just feels really slow to me. I'll probably knock FFT out in big chunks when I end up travelling or something, but is there anything else out there? It doesn't have to be grid-based.

Basically, is there a turn-based analog to Battleheart?

edit: I need to check out West Legends too. I love Battleheart :downs:

If you need to hit enemies 3 times to kill them in FFT allow me to introduce you to my good friends the Calculator, the Two Swords Monk, and Barehanded Ninja. A properly setup wizard or priest with the math skill will end fights on their first turn in most cases. It will take some time to get one setup for it though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

UncleSmoothie posted:

There is no good citybuilder on ios yet. Tragic because the genre would work perfectly on a touchscreen.

I want Sim City 2000 on iOS but it's too much to hope for. They'd probably strip out the map making and just give you generic preformed land like the new game has. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

nene. posted:

ARRRGGH!!!! Final Fantasy: All The Bravest won't let me post to Facebook OR Twitter!!! You need to do it to get all 40 party slots but it won't let me and just says an error and I'm getting frustrated. Has anyone else had this problem?

My condolences for wasting money on that lovely game and reinforcing SE's bad behavior.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So how does The Quest run on iPad? I know some phone games do ok but that it's not always the case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah I would have told you to sleep on that one, sorry. It's the first deckbuilding game I played that made me realize its come into its own as a genre enough since Dominion that we're seeing lovely, uninspired cash-ins.

Like the recently announced WoW-based CCG?

Bummey posted:

They're all pretty antiquated by today's standards, even with updated graphics. The story, combat/job mechanics, save systems, world map, etc. are all pretty rough. I think the only traditional FF games worth playing are 2, 6, and 8. Maybe 4, and 7 if only to experience that part of ~*gaming history*~ but ehh.. I'd pass on all of these remakes were I you.

No matter the version you play, FF2 is a pretty bad and grind-heavy game even if you just focus on trivializing it with a team of people spamming max-level Toad. On the bright side once you max Toad on someone the hidden minigame gives out stuff like Masamune, Aegis Shield, and Genji gear as rewards.

triplexpac posted:

FF 4 is pretty good. I was never SUPER into it when I was younger, but I played the PSP update and enjoyed it.

The PSP and iOS versions are not the same. The iOS version is the poorly balanced DS version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Having just beaten Mystic Quest (check that one off the list), I'll say this: It sure as hell has some of the best music.

Maybe if SE is remaking FF games they'll do a remake of FF:MQ with the music redone with rock+orchestral tracks.

roboshit posted:

iPad gamer dudes, do you guys recommend the 16gb or 32gb iPads? I plan on getting one next month for school and games, and I don't see myself using more than 16gb considering I won't have any music at all on it. Do iPad games eat up storage space pretty quickly?

Get a 16 gig iPad. If you are playing 16+ gigs worth of games at a time you're better off just backing up save files to your computer with iFunbox or whatever instead of spending money on extra memory on the iPad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LPG Giant posted:

So before somebody posted that the FF III and IV ports were basically hard mode. Is this also true for FFV? I saw that the sprites had been changed (they look horrible, but I'd be willing to overlook that) but how is the difficulty?

There is no such thing as FF5 HardMode unless you restrict yourself from playing most classes. Even then you'll still break the game open unless you're playing 4 berserkers.

e: Saying the sprites look bad is an understatement. That they simply took the FFD characters and made minor (very minor) tweaks to them is really loving obvious. I mean, the new Penny Arcade RPG's sprites look like they were made using Locke/Edgar sprites but these look like someone did the changes in an afternoon, while drinking heavily.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

NimbleQuest! Yay... wait, I can't find it. Is it out in the US store? Also, are there any decent RTS games?

Red Alert 2 is on sale. Whether you would consider it a decent RTS or not I don't know.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nobunaga's Ambition is half off:
http://www.appshopper.com/games/nobunagas-ambition

Has anyone played it and is it worth the price? Kind of a shame it's only on iPhone and not iPad/Universal though.

e: I'm having a hard time getting in to nimble quest. Have swipes on my screen not register, or possibly register as wanting to turn around (which isn't doable) and slamming in to a wall/enemy a level or 2 in to the game really sucks. :sigh:

There's also some Etrain Oddessey-styled RPG too, but it looks iffy.
http://www.appshopper.com/games/serious-dungeon

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bummey posted:

I know exactly what I said and you misinterpreted me. Using a controller that is bigger than the phone to play games unsuited for its touch screen is totally loving stupid.

Yeah especially since it's so easy to play consoles on a bus or airplane these days right? :psyduck:

• Locked thread