Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allan Assiduity posted:

Stratergy seems pretty good, in the similar vein of Risk-clone (with slightly more customisability/less polished rules). I got it from the first post, and the community for it doesn't seem too big - but it's an interesting game.

Of the TCG games that are around, are there any that are particularly good/interesting and should be tried, or...? I'm not a massive fan of the genre but happy to give it a go.
Ascension is super-solid - it's easy to pick up and digest, it's polished, and online play works great. I'm thinking of pushing my brother into getting the expansions with me to see how those are.

Bottom Liner posted:

Summoner Wars is also great. Solforge looks promising too, barring some balance adjustments after the beta release.
Solforge is like Ascension in that it's also a deck building game that's easy to pick up and digest, but there's no online yet. It's currently free though, so why not pick it up and try it anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Wait, so for the Ascension promo pack cards, do all players need to get them to use them like the 2 expansions? I need this information for my friends because I already bought the pack on impulse anyway. Also, is the Nightfall expansion worthwhile?

I did try Fluxx a little bit earlier, seems okay, though the animations are kinda stuttery and slow. I've played a lot of Food Fight already; it's decent, though I don't think it's at the level of Ascension and I'm not sure how appropriate the pace of the game would be for async play.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Agree on Ascension and Food Fight being decent for single player.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

He said brain burning game, not iPad throwing game; Fuusio's really hard.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

eeenmachine posted:

Freemium Frog loving was the true sign of the iOS gaming apocalypse.

loving isn't free :patriot:

Played a bit of Sky Gamblers, seems pretty decent so far. Anybody know if the WW2 flavor of it is any good?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Ascension is easier to pick up and it's also really awesome.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Sorry goon who added me to an Ascension game; I had to withdraw because of the 30 minute time limit, the 27 day one is more appropriate for me due to time zones and such...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Don't know a thing about Warhammer, but Warhammer Quest is looking fantastic.

Edit:

Yay!

This done by the Hunters devs? It looks really similar, but with beefed up graphics.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hogswallower posted:

I just got the gold version. That should have all the expansions, no? And yeah it's a bummer you can't go apeshit stealing stuff but I have other outlets for my video game hoarding tendencies so I guess I'll live.

Nope, 3 expansions only and holy poo poo there are a lot. May look into these as it seems all expansions are playable standalone, which is really cool.

e: Quest games as per AppShopper, bolded the stuff that comes with the Gold version:
The Quest
• The Quest - Attack from Asteroids
• The Quest - Celtic Queen
• The Quest - Celtic Rift
• The Quest - Cursed Chess Set
• The Quest - Escape from Asteroids
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye I
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye II
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye III
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye IV
• The Quest - Hero of Lukomorye V
• The Quest - Islands of Ice and Fire
• The Quest - Lost Archipelagos
• The Quest - Mithril Horde
• The Quest - Mithril Horde II
• The Quest Lite

Yes, asteroids.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 11, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

You don't have to roll a new character. All expansions for The Quest have an option on their app's main menu that allows you to enable its content in The Quest proper. Download expansion, tap Enable in The Quest, delete expansion app. That way you can use your regular character throughout the entire game.

This is such a great game.

Ugh, now I'm reinstalling the Lite version to try it again and see if I was just poo poo at it before or rolled a bad character. Last time I played it(looong time ago), I had no idea where I was supposed to go and was kiting archers or some poo poo and it was resoundingly "okay".

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

VideoGameVet posted:

FYI:

In honor of Henry Ford's 150th Birthday Celebration, Crickler is featuring puzzles on the Man, The Machines and the Company. Solve the Ford puzzles and share that you've completed them through Twitter and you'll have a chance at one of TEN $50 gift cards to Amazon!
No.

Starting The Quest Lite, and things seem to be going better this time as a mostly stock fighter guy compared to the magic guy I tried earlier. Still, you do tend to get hosed over old-school style when say 3 bandits gang up on you, follow you back to the inn, and hang out waiting for you to get out of the inn and destroy you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

~Coxy posted:

As opposed to the Tiny Tower guy, the Punch Quest guy, the evil starfish game guy, and the Jones on Fire guy?
They actually add something to discussion vs a drive-by "hey we have a contest right now come on down" or constant "well, if you like poker, try mythis app!"

It's like going through some social feed and seeing ads breaking up the feed.

Crickler's okay, but took something like a year before it stopped being unusable poo poo.

Also he's got this thing where every paragraph must be one sentence at most.

It's pretty annoying.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Okay, so I've been playing The Quest Lite for a while and I was at the point where I needed to get the full version to continue(it's a while in, the lite version gives you a decent amount), so I got The Quest Gold, moved my saves over and I'm in the next city and...

...the game isn't shy about putting random bits like this all over the place; there's a brothel in town too.

Also, earlier,

I think it's pretty neat, but I kinda wasn't expecting this.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

That message means you're too close to an enemy. Scoot back to town or somewhere safe. I'm pretty sure there's a maximum range they'll follow you.

Hahahahahahaha nope; only if they're blocked by something and you can get away, otherwise they'll follow you to an inn and wait for you outside.

Try to get the Mark and Recall spells from the magic shop ASAP.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Helical Nightmares posted:

Jumped into Quest Gold on your guys recommendation.

I am enjoying this throughly. Zero regrets about the cost.

I wonder how much effort it would take to port Legend of Grimrock over?
Fixed your post; priorities, man.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SquadronROE posted:

Not available in the us.

I'd say you're fine; it seems IAP-or-grind happy to me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check back in the shops every couple of levels. I think the spells etc. repopulate every now and again.
Actually, stock changes each day.

whydirt posted:

No reason to be racist.
Nogur please.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

heiden posted:

It's been a long time but summoner is the worst starter by a huge amount, Necromancer (the long range AoE laser guys) are the best class and you want multiple of those on hand, stacked with poison and stun etc. 1-2 snipers is good too with double attack to stun/armor down the poo poo out of enemies. Later on the biggest obstacle is a huge bunch of long range enemies far away that'll murder you before you can get to them with melee. The sword girl with double attack is about the only viable melee besides your main due to sprint/range and her damage output. Medics are great also because they do a lot of special damage besides healing and have decent armor values. The best medium ranged gun class is the red-suited girl with the buff skill, keep one of those around also. Every other class is kind of bad, endgame you'll want to have a lot of long range covering your few close/medium range damage classes moving in, your main character will get ridiculous & expensive AoE spells that'll murder everyone once they get into range, that'll be your main goal.
Pretty much this, didn't know about the summoner thing though. Most of the work for my guys is done by sword dudes, the two medium-range gun guys, some by the pyro guy if you get that line attack skill, the long range plasma guy(very important), and a sniper for control. Medics are hard to build up for me, and the big tank dudes have major stamina issues. That said, around the middle of the game or so I get shitripped, though I heard the dev made the game a little easier in an update somewhere.

e: for general reference, I'd suggest Tactical Warrior over Lost Star Tactics, even though Lost Star is newer

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Apocron posted:

In the Quest is there any penalty to wearing heavy armour an using magic? It's kind of ingrained in me by DnD that casters should only wear robes. Also is there any way to keep track of quests? I got the one at the beginning town where you have to save the mayors wife but she doesn't want to come but I don't know where to find the mayor to tell him.
If you're stuck on a quest, try talking to the people involved with it again(what I think you need to do), increase your Persuade skill(finding a trainer is the easiest way), or just go do something else.

I know it's another matching game with timers and IAP, but this Candy Crush thing is pretty good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Corridor posted:

She isn't the mayor's wife, she's some random dude's wife I think. The Mayor is the one who makes you go deal with the cemetery. He's located near the mayor though, as I recall (west of the pub I think, in the area of town with better-looking houses). And you can't tell the guy anyway, if you talk to him then he'll just whine about how you haven't found her yet... you can't complete that wifey quest until you get another quest that gives you access to the bandit leader. THAT quest is given to you in the Bloodpool Woods or whatever they're called. You don't have to complete it, just get it. Then I THINK you can go into the bandit leader's house and he'll cut you in on the ransom, the game will give you the option of loving over the husband, or loving over the bandit leader.

And yes, The Quest really needs its own thread because I keep posting tips and solutions in this thread and then a page or two later it's people asking the same things. :( I don't want to start the thread because I've only played one class and I'm not all that far in.

I'll see if I can pull something together in time, but I'm also in a similar situation, only through a bit more than what the Lite version offers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I tried Splashtop Steam gaming.

Dungeons of Dredmor actually works really well (use the onscreen arrow keys). XCOM worked but the connection kept getting flaky, guess too much going on at once for it. FTL does not work well, clicking stuff made for PC on an iPad is harder than you would think.

A lot of stuff is a bit fiddly with the changes in resolution and such. A lot of games refuse to run entirely.
I don't see FTL working well anyway seeing as it's not really turn-based, it's pause-a-lot-so-you-don't-get-wrecked-based. I still think an iOS version would be fine because you could then have a big ol' pause button at the bottom-left or right or something.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

marshmonkey posted:

It will be free.

But it's an actual game this time, how is this possible?!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allan Assiduity posted:

Has anyone played the 'Towelfight 2' app yet? I heard it was like Legend of Zelda/Binding of Isaac but on iOS and it's apparently had the controls improved in a patch. Anyone got any thoughts/feelings before I take the plunge on it?
Bought it for a buck, played it for 5 minutes so far, seems ok enough.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dvlos posted:

Is this Frozen Synapse out in the store? I can't seem to find it :confused:
Look up on the same page you just posted on:

slogsdon posted:

Frozen Synapse is coming in May according to the developer's Facebook page.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I remember somebody was making a list of roguelikes, and mentioned Legends of Yore wasn't on the App Store anymore; it went back up a little while ago, FYI.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
As things are, there should probably be a general NimbleShit thread like there's the Kairosoft one.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Corridor posted:

Oh god when did that murderous player-hating duck game get on iOS :gonk:

Don't gently caress (too much)with the ducks

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

crazypeltast52 posted:

Not only that, but David Dunham's etsy account has been selling off the original art from the game. I have 4 of them to decorate my nerdcave once I move out of my parent's basement since I'm told I'm gainfully employed now.
None of the ducks are up for sale, don't care anymore.

About anything.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Apocron posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the iPad and iPad mini. Is there a significant in terms of gaming besides screen size? Say I wanted to play Avadon would the mini suffer in terms of gameplay?
Screen size would affect how large hit targets are for you and whether you mind smaller text for some games. Other than that, I believe the minis use the iPad 2's CPU whereas the 3s have a faster one, though that's not really important for something like Avadon.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pray For Death posted:

IGN is promoting Horn as their free game of the month. Free codes for 40 countries.

Holy poo poo, thank you, downloading now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's a pretty cool game, however this:

Isn't even close to true. The game shares nothing in common with shining force other than maybe "made in japan" because the gameplay's not at all similar.

Yeah well, look at the quote source. :jerkbag:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Corridor posted:

What's the appeal of Battle Cats? Is it just the cats themselves? I enjoyed all the horrifying kitty monstrosities, but the gameplay was like the most boring loving tower defense in the world. I got up to like level 9 and then couldn't force myself further.

Character design is delightfully bizarre, including the enemies and enemy bases. There's some minor strategy in there also, but the weirdness is what really drives it I think. Also, people seem to enjoy rush games.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

I want to point you at Versu and I'm curious what you think of it compared to Alter Ego and Choice of.

OK, this looks pretty cool, will definitely try it out. I also have a few of the Gamebook Adventures games/books, but haven't really gone through them yet; the Choice of stuff, like Alter Ego, just seems much easier to get into by way of being simple and uncluttered.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Owlkill posted:

Is there a decent amount of replayability to these? I've been through Broadsides once and Dragons twice, and while they're great fun I'm wondering whether there's more variation in the choices that pop in the paid-for apps. I know they're not hugely expensive (£1.99 in the UK app store) but I blasted through Dragons and Broadsides in about 10-15 mins each.

Everybody's saying they're definitely longer.

Also, Versu is iPad only. :argh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Kairosoft's Pocket League Story and Café Nipponica are currently a dollar.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Flame112 posted:

This is correct, also this is probably the weirdest game I have ever played.

Play Bonkey Trek.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Is there a good ripoff of chips challenge (what i mean is square tiled top down game where obstacles have consitent rules and form puzzles from their interactions, no combat) for the ipad?
Well, there's Chuck's Challenge, which is a ripoff in that he's the guy who made Chip's Challenge in the first place. Free to play with IAP to remove ads and add level packs, and there's user-generated levels now apparently. It was buggy when I tried it a long time ago, but there's been a bunch of updates since then it seems.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Geez, came back to the thread to find crabatars everywhere.

radge posted:

gently caress whoever is buying these crab avatars.
If I only could. :allears:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Urdnot Fire posted:

Pangea Software has their entire iOS catalog free for a day, though a couple of the games aren't showing up as free just yet. The free games include stuff like Cro-Mag Rally and Enigmo.

Came to post this, Enigmo is an awesome puzzle game that's slightly Incredible Machine-y, and Enigmo 2 is also currently free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

RAD soldiers is chess blended with counter strike. There are no timers what so ever and that pay wall isn't bad. It would take you a while to buy every soldier without using money, but they basically give you the best characters right off the bat (commander, scout, and for your third unit pick the sniper). Also just went through a major update with 2 free maps and 2 more soldiers. http://appshopper.com/games/rad-soldiers
It's basically new X-Com, the turn-based multiplayer game in many ways. Last I played it though, pacing was slooooooow. Also, paywall applies to getting different weapons for your guys.

• Locked thread