Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
If you use Chrome in Incognito mode, you can keep spinning until you...don't get Lemonade Tycoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Allan Assiduity posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty good so far; it runs much faster than the PSP version did, although the random crashing is disappointing to see.

I was debating getting this but the fact that all of the most recent reviews are 1-star "THIS APP CRASHES" and it hasn't been updated since March keeps warding me off.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

pctD posted:

It crashes, but it autosaves every move. I've never lost any progress because of a crash. I'm not trying to say that its a perfect situation but it works and the reviews don't paint the whole picture.

I will grant that, but the price of an app is inversely proportional to my willingness to suffer through problems that app has.

Especially since I have a gameboy micro with FFTA sitting in my coat pocket :ninja:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Oh my God, I just installed Plants vs. Zombies for the first time (I know, I know).

I think I blacked out for two hours because I really didn't think time could pass that quickly.

I know right? My only complaint is it doesn't implement cloud saves. Every time I move to a different device I have to replay all the boring bits and unlock the double sunflowers and all that jazz all over again, and I just got tired of doing it after the 3rd or 4th time :smith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Is there an easy way to find out if games do cloud saving properly? This thread is resulting in me blowing up my iPad's storage space and I don't know if I can delete unfinished older games or not :ohdear:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The iOS Games Megathread: Yet another Minecraft (knockoff) Thread

I just downloaded it.

I'm not getting any work done today, am I?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

This game feels like minecraft combined with a watered-down version of Dwarf Fortress. This is fantastic.

Regarding the double-speed crafting, are you just talking about time crystals or is there an upgrade I'm not seeing?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

thedouche posted:

Oh poo poo. I built a house and burnt it down with my campfire. I love this game.

Yeah I set my bed on fire and haven't really been able to recover health to max since. Stupid monkeys at night.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

silloh posted:

So rather than just using the platform, I should just use the dirt blocks or wood blocks and I should be okay?

True to my dwarvish nature I dug down first, and having a back wall prevents any rain/snow from leaking in.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

concerned mom posted:

I can't for the life of me see where to make wooden sticks

Only place I've found them is cutting down trees. Big trees seem to drop seeds as well, so if you plant a tree farm and wait for them to get super huge it's renewable.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Bummey posted:

Run in one direction until you find some corn and harvest it with a shovel to get 3 pieces of corn, go back to your town and plant the corn. When it grows, harvest it with a shovel and etc etc. Sunflower seeds, apples, oranges, work too. Make a spear and stab the gently caress out of some dodos, cook dodo meat at fire, devour. It's rough going until you get a solid farm set up.

I haven't seen any corn or carrots yet, but I've got a couple fruit trees nearby. Is there any way to replant them using the fruit, or do you just have to not cut them down in the first place?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Jesus christ how deep do you need to dig to find bronze ore? I've gone down about 60 blocks, lighting with lanterns to see around, and haven't seen any.

I've seen one block total, about 30 blocks down in a tunnel.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Blockheads chat: how do you mine time crystals and how do you make/find linen?

With a pickaxe, and linen requires flax, which is the tall-grass-looking plant all over the place. If you harvest it with the machete you'll get 3 flax per, and if it's flowering you can get 3 seeds if you hack the flower off first.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Yeah you just put the food in the ground. I planted a bunch in a row and meditated for 5 minutes and now there's loving goddamn fruit everywhere.

Hunh, so there is. I could have swore I tried tapping on the ground with fruit selected before and it did nothing :downs:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Am I going crazy, or does the Dye Bench consume the bucket in addition to the water?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

thedouche posted:

The kiln is awesome. I'm producing shitloads of lanterns, time to miner dig deep.

Same, it's a shame making oil takes so loving long.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I feel so dumb, I didn't even think about building a house. My dude lives in a cave with a door on it.

Houses are overrated, hobbit holes are awesome.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

TACD posted:

Also - how do you dye clothing? I made some yellow powder stuff, how can I apply it to things?

One of the things you can make is a clothing dye workshop. As you upgrade it you can apply up to 3 different dye types (which seems to mix the hues, not turn it into a gradient or anything), but at minimum you need the clothing to dye, the pigment, and a bucket of water.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

supersteve posted:

Where does one find a donkey? I haven't bumped into one on my travels.

This is my bane. I found out that I started off somewhere between the north pole and east equator, and didn't find any donkeys until well into the southern hemisphere. It wouldn't be a big deal (I've brought a mobile base with me using the fact that full chests and baskets can be put into other baskets and chests) except for the fact that my portal is back home and my good time-crystal-mining pick just ran out. So now I have to treck back across 2 oceans and 3 continents without a donkey just to get a good pick again.

e: And moving my question to the appropriate thread, now that there is one :downs:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

kontona posted:

anybody here play dominion? it's a risk-clone with asynchronous multiplayer. when it's working (server's usually down) it's pretty great.

The number of 1 star reviews is scaring me off.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Riven is out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/riven-for-ipad/id536344854?mt=8

Gonna wait for some reviews because I heard the Myst port was terrible.

EDIT: Actually it looks like they patched RealMyst. Anyone own that?

RealMyst was pretty great for PC, and the only non-5 review I see is literally someone rating it one because they can't figure out a puzzle.

I'll take the dive for Riven and let you know how it runs on a Mini. I remember playing it on a Pentium 2 back in the day and having to wait 5m for transitions to load :allears:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

As a followup for Riven for anyone who cares, it's definitely Riven. Seems to play fine on a Mini, controls are what you'd expect from an iOS port of a point and click. They took out the quick travel option but added a "hotspot display" option:

Which you can either shake your iPad to show, or set to show after a couple seconds of idle time on a screen. It also has game saving functionality (4 slots), for all (most) of the points where you need to check what sound those loving eyeballs make. It seems like they cut down on animation granularity on some of the less blatant in-game animations (Gehn's chair on the library island opening up was pretty janky), but the more interesting ones appear to have been kept in their entirety, like the cross-island tram system. Given that they took a formerly-3.5G game and pared it down to 1.8G, it seems to be a small price to pay; but I wouldn't expect to see Exile any time soon.

I'll be sure to come back and complain if the musical lock on Katran's door is still hosed like it was if you tried to play the original on Win7 :argh:

e: also when the tram got to the jungle island I halfway reached for the CD tray on my desktop computer before I remembered what I was doing.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

I have to wait until I'm 70 and losing my mnd before i can play them again though. They are no fun if you don't figure out the answers for yourself.

For me, it's about 5 years. I remember most of the puzzles that exist (like that stupid marble puzzle), but don't remember the solutions or where the solutions were found, since those last two bits are blips of time compared to the amount of time I spent trying to figure the puzzles out in the first place.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Also, I just downloaded ghost trick. For free. Really? Is there something wrong with it? Is it missing content from the des game? I cannot comprehend that I just downloaded ghost trick for free.

IAP, just like Walking Dead :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

God dammit.

Finished Riven, which whet my appetite for Myst games. And yet, apparently Myst III and IV aren't available as digital downloads from anywhere.

:wtc:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Usually there's someone on SA doing most jobs.

It's me. I do most of the jobs. (Not at Rockstar though.)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I know the answer is probably going to be "no one", but does anyone play Konami's Dragon Collector in here? It seems to be popular, but it seems a little (a lot) IAP/neopetish for my taste. I was just wondering if it's complete and utter poo poo compared to other offerings in the same vein.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I spy with my little eye, CoH in the app store. :dance:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Narqulie posted:

drat CoH, I paid 5€ already, what's with the ads and iap? :(

The only IAP appears to be multiplayer "unlock everything now now now"-- handy if you don't care about or don't want to play the campaign, but you can unlock everything normally instead.

And the ads just seem to be an occasional "We do other games" thing when you bail to the main menu, which doesn't seem terrible to me.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Lawen posted:

First time I've wished for a stylus on iOS.

poo poo, that's what I'm missing. I even have one in my pocket, I wish I had remembered that. :downs:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm stuck in CoH. It says go to the hollow behind a tree, and I see the drat tree I'm supposed to go to but I have no idea what to do now. I can't click in the tree or move my characters into it.

Move to the tree trunk and swipe right.

Zwilnik posted:

I'd assume it means a hollow as in a clear area in woodland (like Sleepy Hollow) not a hollow tree as it says a hollow behind a tree. So I'd guess go somewhere behind the tree.

No, it's actually a hollow sideways tree trunk. When it first comes into view, you can see a demon behind a knothole peek out, see you, and run away.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

:aaaaa:

On the behalf of fat fingers everywhere, thank you.

This, but "iPad Mini Owners".

Hulk Krogan posted:

I absolutely despise ads in paid games, but honestly they're incredibly unobtrusive here. The only time you see one is if you back out from a game to the main menu, which I personally almost never do anyway.

Pretty much my take on it. To people complaining, did you also pass on Walking Dead because there's an RSS feed on the main menu screen that advertises other Telltale stuff?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

CoH battles are fun but I'm chiming in to say the overworld map sucks balls. Trying to talk to people or open chests is a pain, just mashing the screen until it finally registers and then because i'm mashing the screen I miss the popup...

Yeah I feel like I'm getting a lot of unresponsive taps in dialogs, having to tap a couple times before the game catches up with itself and actually registers.

e: Also, am I the only one getting shitstomped by anyone that has creatures that are like one level higher than you? I can't tell if you're supposed to grind on some random encounter in certain situations before moving on, or if the order in which you encounter battles is occasionally very wonky.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 25, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Beelzebozo posted:

Whoa, that's your biggest issue with ATB? :stare:

Well, if you completely ignore the sheer amount of IAP fuckery and treat it like an otherwise-free game (because I still wouldn't find that worth $4), I could see that.

But yeah no gently caress ATB. Between Baldur's Gate and CoH I've already got enough good games to play, without thinking about lovely flash game wannabes.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

If you're very, very careful about where you touch, and that your touches don't slide on the screen at all when you're long pressing to remove, it's fine.

That said I've finished the elf campaign and it's irritating enough on a mini that I'm debating trying the DS version, so I can't even imagine doing it on a phone.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

hadji murad posted:

How do I switch off (or switch on) the grid in CoH? I keep turning it on by mistake then blowing moves turning it off.

Triple tap any unit.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I've gotten better at being careful as time goes on; maybe one battle in 4 with a mis-move. What's irritating now is randomly not being able to long-press delete-- the game just doesn't respond. I can still move units, but not delete them. It fixes itself 100% of the time if I force kill it, and maybe 30% if I bounce out and in, but losing half your moveset randomly is a pretty nasty bug that I'm surprised made it through QA.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

OK Octopus posted:

It's really rather odd the custom avatars people will buy for you when you badmouth a random game.

... yeah.

$10 in snarky advertising is $10 well spent, assuming it's Nimblebit buying them.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

My favorite custom title of all time is still "ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT."

At one point I knew the story behind it but it's funnier without context.

e: Also I can neither confirm nor deny that custom titles were readily given for posting in the early days of the Diablo 3 auction house trading threads.

I'm still laughing at Three Phase's current one. I really wish I knew who bought him it, though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Spincut posted:

Which is somewhat baffling to me, really. Roguelikes seem like one genre that would be great on a mobile device.

If it's actually turn-based, then yeah, but "roguelike" as a genre seems to be drifting closer to ARPG nowadays, and god knows I wouldn't want to deal with anything like that on a touch device.

Are there even any released-in-the-last-5-years turn-based roguelikes out in the wild on any platform? The last time I recall anything like that was Lufia for the GBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

Also all of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

Oh interesting, I thought it was just a generic JRPG with a slightly-different-than-usual-pokemon take. Is it any good as a roguelike, or is it all pretty low key?

• Locked thread