Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Anime_Otaku posted:

The port of The World Ends With You is awesome even if it is expensive for an app.

Worth noting that this (and other Squeenix apps) is on sale right now. $12.99, down from $17.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

DNK posted:

Ascention

It's techincally not a TCG (it's a Deck Building Game :eng101:), but it scratches that itch far better than any other money-sink faux card-collecting game that's currently on the iPhone.

If you have an iPad, the Magic: The Gathering game(s) are very good.

Yeah, I think Ascension is the game I've gotten the most pick-up-and-play value out of anything on the iPhone. I'll put it down for a few weeks, then come back and it'll be great again.

I haven't played the actual card game, but it might actually be one that is better on iOS than live.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Minidust posted:

Today I dug up Ascension after seeing it mentioned here. Is there any type of progression to the single-player or is it basically just botmatch practice for the multiplayer? Like am I supposed to do something to unlock the rest of those avatars?

No progression, I believe the rest of the avatars come with the various expansions.

Since it was asked on the other page, I really enjoyed the expansions as well, except maybe the promo cards. gently caress the Rat King.

It's also fun that you can mix and match any of the expansions and change victory points, which allows for more types of strategies.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I like Clash of Heroes, but drat if selecting things isn't annoying even with zooming.

Haven't had performance issues though.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Telsa Cola posted:

In as TelsaCola, we can swap invite codes if you want. Mines Ssd8.

Using this. I'm SmzR

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

m.hache posted:

Has anyone had problems with D.O.T crashing after the tutorial?

The second it asks if I want to log into a Mobage account it crashes to the dashboard. Even after re-installing twice I have the same problem.

I did at first and it was happening when I was having a poor connection. Seems to be fine now.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

eeenmachine posted:

Here are some Nimble Quest promo codes:

PHTFJTXYM76R
LEW7ARF4HE3N
9HKF44RP3PLN
MTMXJHYM9YNM
XMYMNL74N7Y3

To save everyone some time, all gone.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

theblackw0lf posted:

New article/ interview on Star Command. Pretty revealing actually

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/20/4127328/star-command-kickstarter-release

Complaints about lack of customization is a big red flag, since that's normally one of the biggest appeals for those sorts of games. Them "working on it" isn't exactly thrilling either, since that sounds ominously like releasing giving in to pressures of the already way-too-long dev cycle and releasing an incomplete game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

Robotek is a good game. The Penny Arcade deck builder, however, is not. It's a much more simplified version of Ascension but still manages to be way too busy and tedious at the same time. Pass.

I played about 5 games of Penny Arcade and basically just wished I were playing Ascension. Not enough cards, not enough variety. I did like the characters and battling bosses for loot thing, but it's not really deep enough to make up for how much less there is to the game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I tried the new Tekken CCG. It's okay, but mostly paper-rock-scissors. Not so much strategy as dumb luck. I'll probably delete it tonight.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Funso Banjo posted:

The new batman/superman/flash/whoever game is really good. Injustice it's called. Think it is supposed to promote the console games, but it's good in its own right.

Really enjoying it.

I liked it for an hour or so, but then the combat started to feel like a chore. Progression is SLOOOOOOOW.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Cyberbob posted:

Only downside is that there's practically no way to get the Social Pins, outside of knowing someone else with the game on iOS, with the time to sit down and connect to each other.

Lost my phone when I was about half way through Really wished I'd backed up my saves for that game. Would have continued on no problem.

In fact - Anyone got a couple of saves for it? Would love to get back into it. I was on the 3rd day of the second week. Just after you get access to Tin Pin Slash.

You get Mingle points by playing Tin Pin Slammer on practice, which sounds like a pain, but both shutdown and Mingle PP "count" at I think a 9:1 ratio of what battle PP is, so you only need about a tenth of the Mingle or Shutdown PP to over-ride battle.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

I'm nearing level 12 and 150k glory right now but I'm at the invasion mission and really want to beat that. It's so frustrating how enemies can have so god damned many combat bonuses that just don't match their levels. Like when you're the same level but have to scroll to view all their dominance, defense and damage bonuses while your list is half inactive or passives and a quarter of the size. It may be a whine, but it's just not fair when you literally can't beat an enemy because of that poo poo, regardless of scale, especially with how odd the AI is in regards to randomly being super aggressive or passive to the point where they never attack.

I love seeing a huge list of bonuses from an opponent 4 levels above me only to realize that none of them are health.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm playing Kairohouse too. ID is 5221020637.

And yeah, previous Kairo IAP stuff has been rather reasonable, hoping this sticks to it. Looks interesting.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

The Royal Scrub posted:

Is there a go-to Dad game? Mine saw me playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers and has now been asking me what my favorite iPad game is etc. He's into Age of Empires, Civilization and Total War. Is that Sid Meier's plane game a good idea? I'd like to recommend something that's not front-loaded with a ton of depth or tutorial bullshit because he'd just quit.

Yeah, with that taste in games I think Ace Patrol would be right up his alley. He might also enjoy some of the board games like Settlers or Ascension, though obviously those will have a learning curve. And there is of course the dumbed-down Civ Revolutions.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

If I watch one three minute video, I'll still have to watch nine more before I receive a single piece of Battle Camp's premium currency. :fart:

Battle Camp tip: Delete it and download Puzzles and Dragons. Or just delete it.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a Plague Inc thread or strategy guide for getting started? I feel like I'm not opening correctly.

Is there an easy grind for unlocks?

A few of the diseases are different, but for most it's best to lay low as long as possible. Symptoms give you away, so research transmission types and devolve any symptoms until you've infected everyone. It's often best to start in countries that are difficult to infect, like Greenland. Stockpile DNA, and once the whole world is infected, unleash hell.

For unlocking the mutations or whatever they're called, I found virus to be the quickest. It's odd because you play exactly the opposite from what I described above - still keep on the transmissions, but rely heavily on fast mutations to just pump the infectivity as quickly as possible. It'll fail more frequently than the slow play method, but it moves so much more quickly that you'll come out ahead in the end.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

jerkstore77 posted:

So Pocket Trains is coming out today. How similar is this to Pocket Planes exactly? Planes was probably the NB game I played the least. I think I remember the reason being that getting the bigger planes actually limited the routes you got which turned me off a bit. I like the "everything gets bigger and better the more you play" model like in Tiny Tower.

Quite similar, but is trains. It makes sense in Pocket Planes - airlines save larger planes for larger cities, and then break them up into regional planes after that. The limiting factor that you have to work around this time is track - cities are connected through tracks, and only one train can claim a specific route at the same time. You pay to change the route on a track, so it still has a decent amount of passing off cargo at cities where routes connect.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bubbapook posted:

Random PT question: why are you able to delete a train line? I understand removing the ownership of a line, so that you can reassign different trains to it, but I don't quite understand why I can delete a line I paid 2,500 coins for by accident? Was off to a good start, double tapped a line by mistake and burned nearly all my cash :(

Maybe so that you can remove cities that don't really mesh well with your overall plan? Like I have Athens bought, but it's a decently long trip and only connects to one city, so it's effectively a dead end. Not great long-term and I'll probably want to stop getting jobs to it at some point.

Also worth noting for people: you can "swap" engines from the train menu. Don't be dumb like me and decommission a whole line then rebuy it all when you want to upgrade your train.

And I believe new engines are level-based. I'm in the unfortunate position of starting to get the third set of engines when I've only built two from the second set with no fuel cars.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
In trains, does an engine also add to fuel, or does it solely add the ability for more cargo?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SquadronROE posted:

Are there any other card based games out there like ascension? I am loving it but want more. Not Puzzles And Dragons.

Nightfall and the Penny Arcade game are both similar deck-builders, but neither are as good. Food fight was a decent draft-based card game that's reasonably fun, albeit goofy. There was a third-party Dominion app for a while, but it's vanished. SolForge is iPad only, and though I hate having some of the cards locked behind a too-expensive paywall, it's still got really nice mechanics and opportunity to at least get a fair number of cards for free.

I finally plunked down for Agricola. It's fun, but drat is it hard. Really captures that starving peasant thing.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

KamikazeJim posted:

Tanto Cuore has some mechanics that separate it from being a total clone of Dominion. You have "Personal Maids", cards that give you permanent persistent effects, which two at random are able to be bought, but you can only have one in your possession at a time. There are "Chamber Maids", which are cards that can be sent to your "Personal Chamber", i.e; removed from your deck to a special stack, where they score points based on either how many copies of them you have or how many copies of a set of certain chamber maids you have. Most everything else is similar to Dominion, although there are only two VP cards, one for 1VP that can be chambered to give you a bonus 5VP at the end if you have the most of her (not 5 per card, just 5 total for the majority holder), and one for 6VP that just sits in your deck like a Province. There are two attack cards, one that cancels out a Personal Maid effects, and another that is -1VP, -2VP if you have 4 or more.

I actually bothered looking for this before realizing the "personal maids" are all anime girls. Oh well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SynthOrange posted:

What kind of maids were you expecting?

I had some foolish dream where they were just completely dehumanized pawns in a Euro card game similiar to Dominion. Should have known the app store better than that.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Really digging Agricola. I haven't played the board game, so it took a few games before I started really getting into a rhythm. It's probably much better on iPad because it's cramped on the phone, but still very playable. It also gets frustrating (especially early on) because every move does matter quite a bit, so you get 10 rounds into a 14-round game and realize that you've hosed up one placement and it's pretty much game over. Still, once you are familiar enough to plan ahead, it's a very fun game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Social Animal posted:

I keep seeing IAP mentioned here. What does that stand for/what does it mean?

Also there a lot of haters but Deus Ex: The Fall was pretty fun for me but kind of short.

In-app purchase. Anything that pops up asking you to buy more for X amount of dollars.

What's weird with IAP is that I don't have a problem buying dumb poo poo like ad removal form Kairosoft games, or a new character or two in Kingdom Rush, or expansions like in Ascension or LostStar Tactics, but the second the IAP even remotely appears to be creating an artificial barrier I pretty much delete the game. It's probably just a resentment of paying money equating to progress.

Also, I played Tiny Death Star for an evening then deleted it. Moves too slow and it's still an elevator sim, not a building sim.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

marshmonkey posted:

Is it really worth wasting a post in order to register with everyone that "I don't like a thing."? We aren't holding a vote.

It's easier for me to read a post stating "I don't like a thing" and be cautioned against it than to potentially purchase, download, and play the thing to have to find out. There are a lot of ios games out there and only so much pooping a body can take.

You didn't see me complain about the pages of congratulations and hype-building for a reskin of an elevator sim.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sweet! As someone that generally doesn't like tilt mechanisms to control stuff, the original had it nailed and was a really solid game. Can't decide if I want to it to stay so drat hard or not.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Suits and Swords is one of my quickest deletes ever. Two Clash of Clans video ads in 4 battles and the blackjack mechanic is not fun at all in that setting. Or at least it wasn't there.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

McDragon posted:

Glyph Quest is really great. Took me a while to work out the Summoning Spells, but they were kind of obvious in hindsight.

Nice to see a few Dark Souls references. Found two so far, I think somebody on the dev team is a fan. The references in this game kind of rule. :3:

Is the "Mage license" really just a "You've reached the end of the trial, now pony up" kind of thing? I haven't leveled since seeing it. It seems like it's likely worth the two bucks, but that kind of sneaky poo poo is annoying. When you first click on it they don't even really specify what it is or how much it costs.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm enjoying Card Wars so far. You get one gem for getting all three stars on each level, and it's three gems for a pull from the "algebraic chest", so basically every three levels you can get at minimum a new rare card, plus whatever other stuff you've gotten. And they start you off with 8 gems, too. I've already gotten two crazy good 5-star cards and that's just through the first six levels.

All that said, both the timer and the huge imbalance between common cards and rare ones is a bit of a turn-off, especially on a $4 game. Still, it's pretty fun for now.

EDIT: The game appears to be chugging right now on my 4s, which isn't great given the attack/defense wheels.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Yeah, count me in with the others that really want to like Out There more than I do. Really wish that, at minimum, there were an option to start out with one of the other ships after you've found it. Or just anything that carried over.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Time posted:

I really enjoyed Calculords and card city nights. The whole earning new cards and building decks thing was really fun. What should I try that's similar?

Adventure Time Card Wars just came out too. It's kind of fun but I have a hard time recommending it due to the IAP crap for getting any worthwhile new cards. The currency isn't too tough to earn at a reasonable rate early on, but you definitely hit a wall.

What is especially frustrating is that you also start with the ability to only keep 50 cards total, which can be expanded by 5 for every 1 IAP currency. Given that there are 5 different "factions", that in order to win the IAP currency often requires mono-color decks and that decks must be at minimum 10 cards but you realistically need more, that 50-card limit is a bitch.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
With Card City Nights, don't forget you can also win (or lose) by being unable to play a card. For Stoneface, I found it much quicker and easier to set up attacks then trigger then when he sets up a heal. Block a couple cards off from combos and he then gets stuck flooding the board and being unable to play rather quickly.

I think I need to start trimming my deck. Defense cards are practically worthless, and heals aren't great.

And yeah, I'm on a 4s and the game runs fine.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

JHVH-1 posted:

Has the game Out There been discussed yet? Anyone have any impressions?
It basically sounds like its a space survival/exploration game (so naturally FTL comes up) with a more board gamey feel. Sounds up my alley but haven't broke down and bought it yet.

It could've been good. Should've been good. Isn't good. It's almost entirely a random series of events. There is theoretical resource management involved, but that is also so heavily reliant on random events that at there just isn't really any game to it. It's FTL without any combat, crew, or unlockables, which is most of the game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm hating how unstable Shattered Planet is. I made it through the intro run, then it crashed on my second one. On the third attempt, it locked up, and when I closed it and re-opened, I was still in the dungeon but my equipment was gone, then it locked up again. I'm on a 4s, which hasn't really had problems with other games.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

double negative posted:

Anyone playing Star Wars Assault Team? It's a pretty fun little rpg game with some ccg elements. That old familiar energy system reappears, and I wish it was a little bit deeper, but it's pretty fun so far and doesn't seem to be all that aggro with the iap at my early stage.

I'm enjoying it so far. Only cleared the first set of levels so far, but it doesn't seem as brutal as other games in the same style with regards to locking you down if you don't have the best characters.

I noticed a lot of the characters can get to tier 5 - is the only difference between pulling them and leveling them the amount of effort, or are there different sets of characters in each crate?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bogart posted:

Oh, if you guys haven't played it, FTL is what Star Command should have been. I am sort of bummed that you can't transfer over unlocked ships and get the 'no rebel pursuit' mod on iOS, but it's such a good game that it hardly matters.

Star Command + Out There, and better at what each one does individually than either.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bubbapook posted:

Star Wars Assault Team question: how the hell do you play this game without a healer? I've got Han, Luke and Chewie to tier 3, and my most valuable player is still my capped lvl2 rebel doctor. I haven't found any other healers so I'm kinda just stuck with him....

You end up out-growing them. Stat boosts for tier 4 characters dwarf the ones in tier 3, so you basically hit the point where your team hits hard enough and has enough HP that healing isn't a necessity and you're better off replacing that guy that does 19 damage and has 57 HP with a unit that does 60-100 damage and has 200 HP.

And yeah, using Chewie and/or Luke to buy you some time helps too.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SquadronROE posted:

The Star Wars Assault Squad game would be far better if there were more ways to interact with other players and possibly trade cards or something.

Like, some of the cards I need to promote Han are going to be a bitch and a half to get and this is just getting him up to Tier 4. I can't imagine what it will be like to try to get someone up to Tier 5.

I kind of still like the core gameplay, although after a couple of weeks it's starting to get very same-y. Concentrate fire on a dude until said dude dies, draw fire away from Luke, blah blah blah.

Once you get your first Tier 4, the rest come a lot more easily because all of the event days become pretty easy. The power gap between tiers is very noticeable. I can't picture myself playing long enough to get a tier 5 though, especially if more stuff isn't added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SquadronROE posted:

Have you seen anyone with a Tier 5? Or Imperial units? I'm curious if you can get any Imperials.

I'm fairly certain I've had my rear end handed to me by some Tier 5's in PvP. Have not seen any imperials.

For training, I've found a few combos that grant extra experience. The game mentions that you can put multiple training items in numerical order for a pretty substantial boost (i.e. Mechanical 1+2+3+4). I've also found that you can get a bonus for different specialties of the same tier (Mechanical 2 + Smuggler 2 + Force 2, for example). Anything you add on that doesn't fit the combo still gets an exp boost, but anything that fits the pattern will enhance the boost. I don't know if there are more combos or not.

• Locked thread