Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Cithen posted:

Is there anything like Android's Ingress for iOS? There are rumors it's coming to iOS sometime in 2014, but if there is anything similar currently available I would love to give it a shot.

The only one I remember was Shadow Cities, which I think predated Ingress but is also dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I had 2 SR's and like 3 R+'s by the time I quit, about a week in.

On the plus side, I think Dragon Boobs is the one that will finally get me to stop downloading these games. None of them are fun. They just keep pressing that same "YOU'RE PROGRESSING" button. Are we no better than Farmville?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any worthwhile Hero Academy-esque games? All I've come across is Summoner Wars, which still isn't that close. The genre seems a perfect fit for the app store, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there.

The second.

LostStar Tactics might fit the bill. I don't remember if it has multiplayer or not.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Dream Quest does not like my 4s. It runs fine most of the time, but whenever I break the 8-card barrier or so, it crashes. Not great considering I like draw decks. Just before updating, I had a professor up to the last boss but could not successfully finish a fight one way or the other, so started over. Womp womp.

I already want Magazine Mogul, which looks to be in the Game Dev style, but just hit Android so will probably be a long time coming.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Recycle Bin posted:

Just started playing Angry Birds Epic. Now that it's been out for a little bit, what's the consensus on IAP? Does it eventually turn in to a miserable slog unless you pull out your wallet?

I have a strong dislike for the emphasis on friends, which is driven solely through facebook. As far as I can tell, it does not show you which of your friends are actually playing the game, so you just annoy people in the hopes of getting stuff. The Daily Dungeon is kind of tough without help, there are some chests locked behind facebook stuff, and your equipment can end up gimped without the rerolls from the stupid social currency stuff.

That said, they are fairly generous with the IAP currency and it doesn't seem to be much of a hindrance through a few islands. I agree that with the daily rewards, it's better to play in shorter bursts daily than slogging through all at once.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I just downloaded Ingress but am now scared that this game is played mostly by crazy people. There seems to be a lot of concern about organization, like joining other outside forums, spying, and even stalkers.

Is there any way to play this game somewhat casually without dealing with a bunch of far-too-involved dorks?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Flaggy posted:

Is SolForge fun? Just saw it in the app store and it looks like just another TCG.

It's enjoyable. It's the same group that made Ascension (maybe the best iOS card game), including Richard Garfield.

There's a pretty easy deckbuilding interface. The twist on the game itself is that each card has three levels. They start each game at level 1, and when you play a card the next level of it gets added to your deck. Some cards start off lovely and are immensely powerful by the level 3, some start off strong early-game but don't improve much. There are no resources - you get a new hand of 5 cards each turn and play two of them, though there are a few cards that let you draw or play more.

It's actually a CCG. You can get new packs at a very generous rate (usually 1-2 packs of 8 cards per day), and I don't think you get locked out of any cards by not paying a dime.

I've played it off and on through Steam since it came out of Beta and it's enjoyable. They also have a reasonably good AI with multiple levels if you don't want to mess with human opponents.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Pyroclastic posted:

Is anyone else playing Plundernauts? I searched and came up empty.

I have been, and good write-up! It's been enjoyable so far and I agree the IAP isn't really required through the first two sectors and into the third.

I would disagree on one point - I've found upgrading ships to be worthwhile, at least so far. I've had no shortage of gold, and weapons and utilities drop at a decent pace or are purchasable through the shop. The big advantage is that ships automatically upgrade to your current level, not just one level, so if you're level 6, your ship moves to level 6 even if it's level 2 right now. I got a couple upgrades out of first "free" antimatter ship and the first low-end antimatter ship I bought, which is letting me save antimatter for a top-tier ship pretty soon.

I kind of want to try a destroyer just to see if the utility of the mods can actually add up, but I don't know how that's possible with only three turrets compared to up to 8.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SilverMike posted:

Ingress is very much Press Button; Watch Numbers: The Game, with the added handicap that you get to grind before doing anything of note if your area is at all populated by guys who started playing on Android. It's amusing, but don't expect much out of it.

I agree with this. I deleted it after a day or so once I realized how much of the game would involve running all over the place to "hack" bases in order to get the items you need to attack, then how difficult it is to take down a base by yourself and how little I want to have to coordinate with strangers for a game that requires you to be physically near a place to interact.

Plus the game itself just didn't seem very fun or rewarding. Maybe it'd be better if you had some friends playing it and could run around together, I don't know.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

The rear end Stooge posted:

I thought this Kim Kardashian game was supposed to be an escape from life's drudgeries

Please tell me you only tried this because of the Indoor Kids.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Shwqa posted:

I love Molyneux. Dude have been start up lying about his games since fable 1. A decade later and people still keep falling for his poo poo. :allears:

Not entirely. He did give the world a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

duckfarts posted:

Anybody try that Adventure Time: Card Wars game? It seems interesting, but it has IAP and an energy timer despite being a paid game. I don't mind the energy timer so much, but I'm wondering how much IAP otherwise becomes an impediment to playing through it.

I really wanted to like it but the IAP thing was ridiculously greedy. You start getting very heavily outclassed by your opponents' cards and halfway decent new cards come at a very slow pace. Add to that the stupid cap on the number of cards, which also takes IAP currency to increase, and you've got a game that becomes impossible to progress in without dropping some cash.

• Locked thread