Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
New clash of clans update is out, does anyone play? It looks like they've added a third resource I can't afford., dark-elixir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

psylent posted:

I think it's just you and me playing it, downloading the update now.

It's funny, I've been avoiding it for months because I thought it was an IAP crippled piece of crap but I decided to give it a chance during the Christmas break and really enjoy it. I just pop in for 5-10 mins each day and do my upgrades/launch an attack/whatever. I haven't spent a cent on it yet and don't plan to but I am having fun with it.

If you're patient, you really don't need to spend any money at all. I just wish there was some way of restarting your game.

It's both a horrible grindfest and a thoroughly enjoyable 10 mins a day game. Definitely join a clan if you're not in one, it's worth it.

marshmonkey posted:

I haven't actually played much so I might be talking out of my butt here but I saw someone else mention that at high levels you pretty much have to spend cash in order to defend against being constantly raided by high lvl players? Is this true?

I'm townhall level 8 and this isn't really true. My base hasn't even been 3 starred by anyone yet. Town Hall 9 is where it gets serious business but I still don't think it will be true then. It's just everything will take about a week to build. If you're a casual like me then you'll just wait a week.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

This guy had mentioned being like level 24 or something, though I don't know if that is a different level number than your townhall number. He had spent around a thousand dollars on the game over 8 months or so, so I don't think he was a casual player. He had to stop because he said it was becoming too expensive to compete. I guess waiting is not an option if you are specifically competing with people.

I'm level 49 and haven't spent a dime. He sounds like a total nutcase!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

Thats why I was curious, I have heard from some people that you don't actually lose anything when you get attacked - so what are competitive players spending money on? Speeding up timers to have a more awesome base that can't be defeated, depriving other players from a victory even if a defeat has no real consequences?

Yeah basically. You might lose about 10% of resources in an attack but its nothing really bad. Why do I play? I don't really know, it is just a build a base simulator!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I can't for the life of me see where to make wooden sticks

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Also floating out and currently on the NZ App Store: Temple Run 2 (free) and Final Fantasy: All The Bravest ($2.99).

What do you guys think about the graphics and general updatedness of Temple Run 2?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

If it was available outside of NZ I'd tell you...

Here's a video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu3paDJJLEw

I think they've come on great strides since the first game, and the diffuse texturing is nice. I think it looks quite flat though and the popping/fading in of geometry detracts a little. You'd think a small company behind a product that's been downloaded 170 million times would push the boat out a tonne! Still, I think it's a nice job. Just wondering what you guys think :)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I the only one thrown off by the scenery in that temple run 2 video? I know it's all randomly generated but when your levels is a walkway high above the clouds with nothing in from of you but a right turn followed by 2 sharp lefts leadigg into a long oath with mountain tops makes my mental compass all crazy. (should have been visible before the first right turn)

It's cause it all gets randomly generated and then pops in because they have quite a shallow draw distance, so you'd never see it from that far. As some of you guys know I helped make Agent Dash which is another endless runner game, so I was just wondering what consumers thought of their new game so thanks for the feedback!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EIDT: Though if you're also looking for Agent Dash feedback, the last update that made things "easier" absolutely killed the game for me. It changed the game from a fast-paced gem collecting while dodging poo poo to something that began a snail pace and never really caught up with the older/faster pace. So one run now took what felt like twice as long to collect maybe the same amount of gems I used to collect in half the time.

Hah thanks for the feedback. Sadly I don't have control over the design but all I can say is it's hard to make it easy for new players and tough for harder ones and I agree with a lot of what you're saying :v:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Haha that is hilarious. Enjoy your £5 IAP to get it removed.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

junglistvip posted:

Anyone here play Clash of Clans? I'm far too addicted to it.

Started a clan 'Crusader Kings' if anyone wants to join.

There's about 7 of us so far, all around level 60 so if you join us you'll get lots of good troops.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

How do I rebuild the Clan Castle so I can join up with ya guys?

Just save up enough money to rebuild it. If you tap it you should see a price it costs to do it.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

KGBAgent185 posted:

Well, crusader kings that I found required 800 trophies to join?

If you don't have enough we can temporary lower the limit so you can get in!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The second dungeon is just one boss, it's worth it if you're a sperg completionist like me.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm a gigantic sad bastard working on a Friday night, but drat this must be the Clash of Clan raiding sweetspot, I'm raking it in!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say Shalinor I think you've made a mistake going paid for your app. Our first few games here (when paid was all there was) didn't do amazingly well, but their purpose is to be an advertising base for our new games, plus it shows we have some good stuff out and people search for our name now.

I think changing your mind after 5 days is really jumping the gun. Lots of F2P models won't show any usable data for weeks because it takes time for people to hit the wall and spend money. A lot of people will look at $1.99 and thing it's way too much and never buy it; plus all the people who did download it now can't even spend money if they want to. You've effectively cut off your existing userbase in the hope of getting a few more people. After 5 days.

The vast, vast majority of games don't make any money on the appstore, especially first releases. I think you should look at what will generate money in the future better, with new releases and don't make such hasty decisions!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Went to check the changelog. Saw this

code:
Gameplay starts easier
What the gently caress? How could it possibly be easier? The only reason I quit playing it in the first place was because a previous update made the game slower/easier.

EDIT: installed and tried it again. Yup, it's even slower. gently caress this.

I think it's a bit too easy for my tastes as well but it does ramp up to original difficulty reasonably quickly so I hope you guys really enjoy it. We've added a fair bit new content and the load times are now really low.

It would be great to get some difficulty feedback from you guys though so I can go moan at the designer.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Oceanbound posted:

The Capcom USA VP guy said that Ace Attorney HD is scheduled for April, although even that is subject to change. :shrug:

Awesome. Is that an HD version of the current DS game on the store at the moment, or is it more in the series?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

I also play Clash of Clans. Here's my base and I'm kinda bad at the game.

I've used the strategy of wall breakers, giants attacking an air defense, then laying the healer behind the giants to take out defenses. I find bases are too large now for that type of strategy as my giants can't get to the mortars fast enough in order to take mortars out before my archers wander into mortar range. Usually I'd upgrade my troops and be able to punch through the new bases, but it's 6 million elixir to upgrade my Giants. I'm not going to IAP that.

I'd post in a CoC thread if there was one, and I'd appreciate anybody helping me get out of the 1600 trophy range with better attack strategies.

Just as a heads up to anyone who doesn't know. The CoC clan is called Crusader Kings, hit us up for an invite.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Da Gaspodin posted:

Division Cell is a procedurally generated puzzle game that me and some friends have been working on during evenings and weekends over the past 9 months. It's available for both iOS and Android, has no in-app purchase crap and while it has 140 levels in 4 level packs, there's also two other game modes with fully procedural levels, so you'll get infinite replay value out of those!

Check it out at App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id673531723

Play the HTML5 version on the web:

http://cell.hyperspaceyard.com

Hey this looks great and I love the art style. Silly little thing: I think the photos with the iPhones on the carpet are horrible! Something about them really put's me off the whole page.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Have you guys seen Boom Beach by Supercell? It's only got a limited release at the moment. As an avid CoC player I'll definitely pick it up, but it does unfortunately look like a bit of a shameful clone of CoC

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/boom-beach/id672150402?mt=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygt2KLRTCfo

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Boom Beach seems like a lot of fun at the moment, I just wish it had more of a social element.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
On Boom Beach, what do you do when you don't have enough resources to explore any more or build anything, but there is no one to attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying Boom Beach now. It feels a lot more tactical than Clash of Clans and its interesting trying to work out decent layouts of defenses, and then breaking other people's bases easily that looked impenetrable. Its a nice improvement on CoC.

• Locked thread