Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought Apple frowned on hardware limitations that weren't using that hardware. But I guess stuff slips through review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Weirdly enough, Apple doesn't really test apps on older hardware and as a result doesn't much care if an app released in 2013 just makes the iPad 1 poo poo itself.

I think Apple's theory is, "if you want to block iPad 1, require iOS 6." In their opinion, no one should be running iOS 5 now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In that case, sure. X-Com is worth getting upset about. I figured you were responding to the MFi controller. :shobon:

The controller is probably iPhone 5 only, if its got a lightning port. And iPod touch, I guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

On the game's page in the Android Play Store (I now have the game on my phone and iPad), it says that it takes 60/90 seconds for the game to spawn the maximum amount of alpacas. So just fire up the game every 2 minutes and you'll evolve your monstrosity in no time.

Actually I just installed it and this is the only instructional text it shows you in first launch. So there's that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lofty132 posted:

Am I being dense? I thought Tapped Out would have it's own thread but can't see one? I am phone posting so maybe that's my problem.

I don't think it's that deep. Click on things, wait a while. Don't spend any money.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Simpsons Tapped Out sure has an interesting freemium model. It's so expensive it's really not tempting at all. Like pretty much any premium building is $10. There are dozens of them. Skipping a 24 hour timer is $2 and there are a lot if timers since that is the whole "game." And you earn premium currency in-game incredibly slowly, like $1 a month.

So you end up with a lot of players never spending any money at all, and playing the "poor mans version" of the game.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Very true, and Tapped Out is optimized for that. The $100 donuts purchase gets you 24 donuts per dollar, while the $2 purchase gets you only 6. So it would be dumb NOT to spend $100!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe it's secretly Rockstar. A sale's a sale!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also it seems like the whole lightning port is a pain for third parties, so that complicates things. Still not many products out there with that, a year after the iPhone 5.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Logitech's game controller was also released. Seems very similar to the other one, including the $100 price.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/20/logitechs-powershell-ios-7-game-controller-now-available/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At least the other one can hold a theoretical longer iPhone.

It's a tough design challenge though because a lot of people don't want it to be a half inch taller just in case there is a new wider iPhone next year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does this link work for non-developers?
https://developer.apple.com/LIBRARY/IOS/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

quote:

There are three kinds of controllers available:
* A standard form-fitting controller: An iOS device sits inside the controller and the player can access both the iOS device’s screen and the controller elements.
* An extended form-fitting controller: An iOS device sits inside the controller and the player can access both the iOS device’s screen and the controller elements.
* An extended wireless controller: A controller that wirelessly connects to an iOS device or Mac.

"Extended" means it has dual analog sticks and L1/L2 and R1/R2 shoulder buttons. "Standard" means no analog sticks and just L/R.

So actually the Moga Ace one is extended, while the Logitech one is standard, and they are the same price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also depends a lot on whether the iPad is playing at native resolution.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

An iCloud backup should restore all app data.

I think the common problem is that the sign on information is in the keychain which is not backed up in an iCloud backup, only in an encrypted iTunes one. Then when you restore, the application doesn't see an account and resets everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

They forgot to generate a statistic for how many hours have been spent staring at the app's absurdly long loading screen.

Some discussion on Twitter that the delay could be GameCenter initialization time.

• Locked thread