Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rgrdgr Blitz posted:

You could try out a game that I recently worked on that's iPad only: Roaming Fortress
That looks pretty cool; trying it. I see there's some IAP -- is the $5 "content forever" IAP really everything (which would be fine) or do you get nickled and dimed?

randombattle posted:

Ok so I got an ipad mini for school today and I'm wondering if there are any awesome ipad only games I've missed out on since I've only had an iphone for all this time. I've got all my good iphone stuff transferred over like pinball arcade and stuff but if anyone has some recommendations for ipad only games I'd love to hear some.
Not sure which of these are truly "ipad only" but these are some games I love on ipad but hate or am pretty sure I would hate on a too-small screen:

Walking Dead: The Game
Mirror's Edge
Osmos HD
Slice (and ProtoSlice HD)
Infinity Blade II
The Room
Dungeon Raid
Wimp HD
NyxQuest HD
Slingshot Racing
Omium (2p)

Even things like Ski Safari, Jetpack Joyride, Agent Dash, Punch Quest, Zombie Tsunami, Flight, Jaws Revenge, Solipskier, and Subway Surf are way more fun to me on a bigger screen.

Appshopper really needs to add a social component / recommendation engine like amazon or netflix. That'd be pretty awesome.

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

drunken officeparty posted:

Paid a dollar for Scribblenauts Remix today. I've never played any Scribblenauts before but it's always looked pretty fun. Nope. Took me an hour to completely beat it even with the poor controls. Very short, and half the levels outright tell you what to do. The other half can be done with just a jetpack and a gun. There's no challenge at all. I could see if it was more open ended and let you be creative, but again half of them literally tell you exactly what to do and the other half are so simple that it won't matter. It also didn't tell me about the rope mechanics until, not joking, the second to last level. I never needed it and it didn't occur to me to try "rope", but it had its own popup box and mechanics and everything so I don't see why they would do it like that.

On the plus side, it did accept almost everything I could think of in one way or another. And it was only a dollar. I'd be mad if I had paid more.
I think the fun is supposed to be in replaying levels and completing them in the zaniest possible way. I've only played it a little but I found getting through it easy, while completing levels with weird methods significantly more interesting. YMMV.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Hebug posted:

It might be a more US-centric game and traveling across an ocean is expensive. What's your character name? I need to make a party for this quest.
If you need another dude for Life is Magic add me (player name is SA username). I'm in Boston with shitloads to do but I'm still figuring this thing out.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shwqa posted:

I added you and gave you some free stuff.
Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing in this game!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Just got an iPad. I meant it for just work, but a game or two couldn't hurt, right? :negative:
Two questions. What good brain burning puzzle games like train yard, spacechem, and English country tune are recommended?
No physics, reflexes, or matching 3. Single player luckless abstracts against an adjustable ai or games involving words or assembling shapes count.
Also, I just downloaded ghost trick. For free. Really? Is there something wrong with it? Is it missing content from the des game? I cannot comprehend that I just downloaded ghost trick for free.
Fuusio

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
If you don't want to spring for a good seat with power on the plane just bring a few charged up USB external batteries.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nickoten posted:

Huh, good to know! By the way, I'm on a non-jailbroken iPhone 5, so is it possible for me to put games in there? I always assumed the file transfer stuff only worked with hacked phones.
You can use Funbox or iTools to add/remove files to an unjailbroken iphone (I like iTools, http://itools-iphone-manager.en.softonic.com/ )

That said I can't get any roms to work with griddler. I guess it's a different MAME version than those I have? I haven't really looked into it much, just tried to put on robotron and no luck so meh.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

Just as a reminder, if you haven't downloaded Gridlee yet, go do so. It still hasn't been taken down and it's the latest mobile version of MAME.

If you're not jailbroken, it's one of the few times you get a chance to have an emulator (especially one like this which works with the iCade to create a really cool iPad home arcade).
Do you know which mame romset it wants? I can't get anything to run on it. :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

.139u1 I believe.
Yes; thank you! Robotron loads, but no sound and it comes up with one stick and 4 buttons instead of two sticks. So close...

edit: heh, fixed the sound issue (I had it set to airplay the sound to one of my apple TVs from earlier today when I was using the THX tuner (which is free for a bit and pretty OK). If there were a way to force two sticks instead of one stick and 4 buttons I'd be so happy ... any one know how it decides what controls to put up?

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 30, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Amazingly, Gridlee, which is a free MAME emulator for iOS, is still in the app store. Grab it while you can, and be advised you have to run it once and exit, then it will make the standard MAME directory structure. It wants 139u1 roms, which you can send to your un-jailbroken iDevice using iFunBox or iTools 2012.

My question for any MAME experts: is there a way to force it to show two 8-way sticks for control instead of a stick and 4 buttons? I want a proper Robotron on my phone/pad, and the rom works fine, but it for some reason brings up a stick and 4 buttons instead of 2 sticks, which is nearly useless (no diagonal fire!) I can't figure out what .ini or .cfg or whatever the app uses to decide what controls to make available. I'm slogging through the (horrible) toucharcade and neogaf forums threads looking for clues, but that's painful so if anyone has a hint please let me know.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Laserface posted:

Man I really wish it was a requirement of developers to accurately portray what you are paying for in a game. I spent $3 on a game last night and half the poo poo is locked away by absurd amounts of in-game currency. OH THANKFULLY FOR ME THOUGH, I CAN BUY IT ALL FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $15!!

I mean I just paid $3 under the assumption the game was actually complete. I basically paid for a loving demo of the game. Apple should be forcing developers to clearly display this in the description on the app store.

I feel like by the time I have kids I will sound senile and crazy with my "back in my day you bought a game, and you actually got the whole thing!"
Protip: look at "top in-app purchases" in the app store description. It's usually a good indicator of what you're up against.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FAT BATMAN posted:

How does it handle when you have to type in names or fake crimes or passwords? Does the standard iOS keyboard pop up, or is there something in-game? One of the best things about the game is how immersive it is, so it'd be cool if there was a uplink-style keyboard.
Could not find it in the app store; apparently it's "table top racing" and here's an appshopper link http://appshopper.com/games/table-top-racing added to my want list, looks interesting.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Psion posted:

Since this is related, does anyone know what buying iexplorer gets me? For a site trying to get me to pay $35 I can't find the page explaining what the demo version is limited to vs retail.

also is there a good go-to on how to use this to its fullest? Not jailbreaking my device but I'd love to really know what I can and cannot do with the thing.

I dunno but iTools 2012 does everything for free.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shalinor posted:

... sooo, Jones On Fire got rejected again (same reason as last time - I guess they missed the button I added, so I added another, bigger one that can't possibly be missed). Which means it'll almost inevitably be delayed until NEXT Thursday, instead of this coming one.

Sorry folks :(
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the issue? What button is so important it causes rejection?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goferchan posted:

Yes, he is. The Jesus game is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen-- please do yourself a favor and check it out.

The what now? No results for "the Jesus game" in the App Store -- my curiosity is piqued.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
100 kittens

;)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

overdesigned posted:

Block Fortress is addicting as poo poo and fun as hell. Well worth the $1.99 and I dropped more on the XP doubler and a little stack of ~premium currency~ (which is pretty reasonably priced and not terrible to just earn out in small amounts if you wanna pass on buying it).
Stop tempting me! I watched some gameplay videos on youtube (TA and some other guys) and it looks amazing. $2 is a steal for something like that (holy poo poo if they ever add multiplayer / coop!) but I don't have the spare time!

I'm gonna get it anyway :( and then make a strategy sharing thread when I find out I suck at it

StarkRavingMad posted:

:words: all about rogues
Put this in the OP please?

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I caved and bought ridiculous fishing because you fuckers wouldn't shut up about it and, while I hate tilt games, barely tolerate blocky 8-bit games, and loathe fishing anything, this game is stupidly awesome fun and pretty drat close to perfect for what it is. That it's so obviously IAP-able but literally has NO IAP is a huge surprise bonus. Follow me on birdy to learn more about my opinions on $3 games, hat styles, and rare bottom-dwelling fishes that I blast into pink mist with one of my many guns.

Edit: /\/\/\ spoilers wario you bastard :mad:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

This game is great and I'm (surprisingly) very good at it; thanks Bummey!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So is this game snake/snafu with a chain of rpg characters or what? Swipe controls?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bummey posted:

Pretty much. Go download Call of Snakes, it's basically the same game with a little more customization.

Thanks it's fun. You're good at finding good games you should make more recommendations or start a blog or something.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bummey posted:

This game is pretty okay. Got any tips for a beginner?

There's some good tips in the thread for the game http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538315

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Everyone download Say The Same Thing. Wonderful word association game that is really fun to play.

I hope this video works

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2sP1DqyagXE
Heh this is pretty cool. Gamecenter is same as SA username if anyone wants to hit me up for "say the same thing" or letterpress or words with friends...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm loving cracking up on our second game.

This is a genius idea.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You're buy-moria right? Game seems stuck ... says it's my turn even after I enter a word. Even changed the word and it's still in "my turn". :(

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chuck Bartowski posted:

No loving way…
randyest, how?!

:q: From cheese to semen in 12 steps. Here's the rest; simply amazing. We were so close so many times...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is KSP the same thing as Space Agency? Searching Kerbal in the App Store yields only Space Agency for me.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Grey posted:

I just got an iPad Mini after having never owned an Apple device or tablet previously.

I'm looking for a good multi-player turn based war game. Something in the style of Risk.

Any suggestions?

Dice wars. Just like the flash game with multiplayer (same device.)

There are several other risk-likes but I forget the names. Googling "iOS risk" will probably yield a lot. Also isn't there an official risk from EA? I haven't played it but maybe worth a look.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
What's this game "PAD"?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Blek is very fun, original, and well made.

http://appshopper.com/games/blek

That is all.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Not a viking posted:

What are good games to play with friends and relatives on one ipad or between several iOS platforms in the same room?

Spaceteam!

You Don't Know Jack.

Also Monopoly is kinda fun.

e;f:b but I have a link so ha ha!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

priznat posted:

I'm also playing "Smash Hit" and digging it. Something satisfying about throwing metal balls through glass panes. Did the premium unlock for the checkpoints. Looks fantastic on the Air!

Smash Hit is a great game; surprised there's not more buzz about it. It's beautiful and has pretty original gameplay. Bonus points for being free with only one $2 IAP to unlock stats and restarting from levels you've made it past. For free you could (theoretically) play the whole game. This is the way to do IAP -- I tossed the $2 after about 3 tries.

http://www.cultofmac.com/269194/smash-hit-ios-game-week-editors-pick/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Thanks for the heads up on Smash Hit (even though it's at the top of the free chart, I literally never browse the app store).

Been having fun so far but it kind of feels like it suffers from the old 'shmup problem where as you get power ups the game becomes easier and easier, and then if you ever lose those power ups you're immediately thrown to the wolves in a super hard area with a puny single ball again. I was able to maintain a full 5ball chain for the first 3 checkpoints which felt like a pretty good accomplishment.
Wow either you're really good or I suck (I probably suck.) Do you flick balls up from the bottom of the screen like the cultofmac review says to do, or just tap (and try to tap high for distant crystals) like I do?

• Locked thread