Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

This story is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would suggest Virtual City or Townsmen. Virtual City has a free version and a 2.99 full version. It has IAP to buy cash but cash is the only currency in the game and would be rather pointless to buy. It's a bit annoying because you have to play through the levels to unlock buildings. It's probably what you are looking for. Townsmen is free but there is a banner ad you can pay .99 to disable. Townsmen reminds me of a simplified Anno 16whatever.

Actually I'm not sure why more people don't play Townsmen. It has a very charming art style, is free, and its an honest-to-god town builder. I'd say if you liked Pixel People you would definitely like Townsmen.

I just tries townsmen. The premise is interesting, but buying IAP to speed up the game is a deal breaker. If I buy the premium game will I still need to pay to speed up?

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004
Tribez just got an update. Anyone still playing? There are now friend codes for multiplayer. I have two of them, one for my fiancées acct and one for mine. 523511 and 7kx912. Lets see how much more of a time sink it is now that they rubber stamped in multiplayer.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

Necroneocon posted:

Anyone have any reviews on Towncraft? http://appshopper.com/games/towncraft The no IAP promise seems really nice, and it looks like a nice relaxing town builder.

Basically Towncraft is like a 2d Minecraft with slave labor. The object is to build up a town by sawing lumber to make buildings, collecting stone for tools, getting sand for glass and mining for metal. The key thing to remember is the game is is relaxing. You have quests, but there is no time limit, you can take as long as you want to finish your quest or build up your town.

You take the resources you collect and combine them to build furniture like Work Benches and Ovens, which allow you to make more complex items. Eventually you build windmills and mines, which have to be built next to existing deposits of iron or coal, so don't mine all the iron out of one vein or else you'll have to put your mines far from your town. You sell your crafted goods to wandering merchants and use the subsequent money to hire peons, which you can assign to mine ore veins, fish, run the windmill you just built, etc. Eventually, you will start building shops which you can staff with peons and stock with the items you've crafted from the resources your little NPC slaves collected.

One of the cooler features is the way you can find wild growing grapes and collect the entire bush. Then build a fenced in area, plant the grapes and then hire a farmer to collect your crops to ensure that they are collected before they spoil. Once the grapes are harvested, you use barrels to brew wine, then build a tavern, hire a bartender and stock the tavern with alcohol, then sit back and watch the money pour in as stuck up nobles stop by to get drunk on their way though your town. You can also build a weapons shop and stock it with swords, daggers and shields. The same wandering nobles will then stock up on their arms supply and head out, suitably drunk and armed.

I only had to check the wiki for a couple of things, input the game is mostly pretty intuitive. Once you get a lot of raw goods, theres a lot of trial and error to figure out what to do with the materials you have, like cotton, for example. Also the game is super responsive, and it's easy to click quickly while trying to make short poles, only to run out of materials and accidentally move instead. Your little guy moves like a turtle and it can take him a while to get to a far location.

I bought it on sale for 99 cents and it is well worth it, although the game crashes far too much, The auto save mitigates the crashing, but not enough. . I might have regretted the full price though, as the aforementioned infrequent crashes make it feel unfinished, although that could have been because I'm using an iPad Air, YMMV.

The game does not have any IAP as advertised. It's also not a timer game, and it's much more fun than FarmVille or or similar games. While you are waiting for your farms to mature, you can go mine or try to figure out how to make cloth or bake some bread for a quest, etc, etc. That's a pretty good game mechanic and actually scratches an itch I've been having.

I'm still in the first town map. The game supposedly opens more maps after you clear enough quests, but it's taking forever. However, I'm still enjoying exploring the land and figuring out game mechanics, so I am not sure if it's because I'm moving so slowly or the game is broken. The info sheet tells me that I've finished the scenario, but it said that the moment I started the game, so I'm pretty sure it's a lying bastard.

With all the caveats, I would have no problem recommending it at 99 cents. It is iPad only. I bought it and Lone Wolf at the same time and I haven't touched Lone Wolf since I started Towncraft. Full price though is something else. If you like survival/construction games, you might get enjoyment out of it, but the 4.99 price tag is pretty stiff. I'd wait for a sale, then scoop that sucker up.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

What does this mean? Is the game broken up into levels (town maps) you have to beat and then start over after each one? I was picturing it more like a minecraft type open world. Is that not the case?

I think unlocking the different maps is their version of a campaign mode, The game has map themes, which unlock after you complete enough quests. The first one appears to be a lush topical jungle with weird square and cone shaped trees. Can't tell you about the other maps.

Each map is completely self sufficient and it appears that you can build a complete town on each map.

There is also a challenge mode, but I haven't tried it.

Towncraft is iPad only.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Do any of the expansions incentive NOT parking your two warrior dudes in a doorway while the two ranged guys pelt the enemy with arrows/spells? Because that's the only tactic needed in the base game.

The necromancers seem to do this a bit. Anything else?

Hmm that's interesting, I had the exact opposite experience. I found my archer to be a little useful, but my two bruisers did most of the heavy lifting, especially since you could chain attacks and one warrior could potentially take out 8 baddies at once, The archers were especially good at taking out enemy ranged attacks, though. The Mage was typically there to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004
As someone who had never heard of slitherlink or associated puzzle games, I come to you, oh great mega thread, to ask if anyone has played them and if so which of the iOS slitherlink apps are the best?

For those of you who were like me, ignorant of this game concept, it was described to me as minesweeper meets picross and that seems to be right in the sweet spot, although it doesn't seem to make pretty pictures. Still the puzzle concept seems to be pretty rock solid and a nice alternative to Picross.

• Locked thread