Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone recommended The Room at the end of the last thread, and goddamn it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Welp, people in this thread spamming Happy Street challenge requests made me have to disable all Game Center notifications. It's the equivalent of spamming your Facebook friends with Mafia Wars invites, except there's no way to specifically block it.

Heh, I just did the same a couple of hours ago. I don't even know what that game is but I have got like 5 notifications about it a day for the last few weeks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last night a buddy of mine told me he had played super hexagon for 200 hours :stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That's a tad excessive. Is he at least in the top 10 in the world or something after an investment like that?

I think he is. I forgot to ask him.

I personally don't get the appeal to that game at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Froist posted:

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'll take the hint, plough on and accept my decision :)

Playing it most reminded me of Myst and Riven, but the puzzles in those games require a lot more world exploration to solve and I think (though it's been a while) were a fair bit more obtuse. Having just checked though, those games are non-universal iPhone only. There is realMyst for iPad but I never played that version.

It's probably unlikely but I'd love to see actual world exploration vs. just puzzle boxes in part 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are the control issues bad enough that I should opt for clash of Heroes on Xbox instead of iPhone? I have always wanted to play that game and was pretty excited to see a portable version in the app store.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Minecraft app has to be the best supported app I have ever seen. I bought it day 1 and I can't believe how much content they have added and how much they have optimized it over time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else playing TNNS? It's pretty loving cool but hard as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hadji murad posted:

Ascendancy is 99 cents now.

What is it? The description assumes I already know what the game is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flops posted:

This right here. Ghost Trick is a quirky interactive mystery that will have you going "just one more chapter" and until you realize that it's 6 in the morning. :v:

I want to finish Ghost Trick so bad but it feels ridiculously tedious sometimes. I got about half way through and it erased my game which didn't help either. I probably won't pick up up ever again which sucks because it's a cool game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh The sound puzzle in year walk is pissing me off. half the sounds are nearly identical and the ones you are supposed to follow don't sound exactly like the voice in the background

Edit: Yeah fuuuuck this puzzle. I am done with you for the night year walk.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's pretty awesome but that puzzle is badly done. I hate feeling of knowing how to solve a puzzle but not being able to due to bad mechanics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grimmeh posted:

I kind of just tried each door and wrote down what worked. Didn't even think to match the pitch. If you'd like the solution, it's (counting doors going to the right) 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd.

Edit: Turns out the solution is randomized! Never mind!

It worked for me thanks. I don't think it's random as much as there are a few different ones. When I went to the doll the first time I wrote the sequence down wrong and when I went back it was totally different.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: Never mind

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 27, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any of you Guys played Ravensword Shadowlands much? What's the general consensus? It looks awesome but I am wary of those types of games on iOS despite the good reviews.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, X-COM is coing to iOS. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/23/xcom-enemy-unknown-iOS/ I'm pretty pumped because it's one of my favorite games, but I am also intrigued, because I think this is the first current gen AAA game to come to iOS. I am curious as to how it will be priced. I am sure it will still be sitting at around $30 on other platforms, but that seems unthinkable for an iOS game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sad lions posted:

They given a rough release date yet?

Within the next couple of months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Psion posted:

Every game needs virtual thumbsticks and virtual buttons. Map an entire goddamn 360 controller layout to your phone, eeen, geez get with it.

The future of games:

seriously if anyone thinks that layout - with a thumbstick and 4 virtual buttons - is at all good? You're wrong, always and forever. It's garbage. lovely, terrible, biohazard level IV garbage.

I don't get why most games still do this when it feels much better with invisible buttons in games like Dead Space.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grimmeh posted:

I like AppSpy.

Agreed. AppSpy is the best. It's just no bullshit brief reviews of games that I usually agree with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm loving dying to play Leviathan warships. By saying it has cross platform play, I wonder if you have to buy the game multiple times or if buying the PC version nets you an iOS version. Also, for the life of me I can't tell is it's playable on an iPhone 5 or if it's an iPad only game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^Yeah it has this kind of playing with toys aesthetic that makes me really want to play it. Also, the amount of ship customization looks glorious.

Sad lions posted:

I thought they meant/said that it was cross platform multiplayer.

It cloud saves so you can continue the campaign on any device. I'm not sure if MP is cross platform.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 22, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Block fortress is pretty cool, but I'm not sure why they left the terrain all pixely when everything else has nice textures. Seems like a missed opportunity to make it look like less of s minecraft clone.

simeon posted:

I'm one of the Crabitron developers.

Thank you to everyone who played our game. It completely made my day to see the crabatars. I love you, who ever is doing that.

Any chance of an iPhone version so I can see what all the hubub is about?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 25, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, that doesn't sound like it would work at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have played block fortress for about 45 minutes and as far as I can tell I cannot place power blocks at all past the first round. The menu says they only cost 15, but every time I try to buy one it says I don't have enough money. What gives? Is there a resource beyond money and available blocks that I need to place them :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

There's dollars ($) and minerals (M). Your mineral count is to the right of your dollar count. Minerals are accumulated by having mineshafts over those blocky mineral deposits.

Cool thanks. By blocky mineral deposits do you mean those smaller blocks that are kind of crooked and usually brighter colors?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stormfang1502 posted:

Yes you have to place mine shafts or mine drills on those little different colored stone looking things to get "m".

There's also a block fortess thread that has some info that may help you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538315&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sweet. That op is really helpful.

Pitnicker posted:

I agree. I don't even really notice if a game is $1 or $3 but if it's $5 it either has to be really well received or have some sort of demo or come from an established development studio. Then again, I'm very suspicious of free games as there's nothing I hate more than getting engrossed in a game before discovering a hidden paywall.

I can count on one hand games over $5 that I've purchased: King of Dragon Pass, Catan with its expansions, and Carcassonne, that's pretty much it. I've been wanting to play Ghost Trick since it was released but am hoping to catch it on sale.

I pretty much have the same attitude towards buying games. No ftp and anything five bucks or over better have some awesome reviews out there.

Anyone remember when the app store first launched and 5-10 dollars was average for a game and they were all poo poo? I remember paying ten dollars for tetris and some absolute piece of crap called "Billy Frontier".

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

My excuse is that I tend to play iOS games for 5-10 minutes before I get bored of them and they never get touched again. Not sure why that is, I just can't get comfortable investing hours on such a small device. But a $10 indie game on Steam? I'll burn a whole weekend playing it.

Paying 99 cents for 10 minutes of fun is not the worst ratio of fun to money in the world, but it does make me reluctant to buy much of anything. Doesn't help that there's tens of thousands of free games waiting in line too.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but I don't think it's the platform that holds me back (I've happily bought many Nintendo handheld games for $40). I would have paid $15 or more for the few quality iOS games I have really sunk time into, but the definition of what a good iOS game is is really broad. A good iOS game is often just some fun little time waster, whereas a good 3DS game is something fully developed that took a bunch of time and money to make.

I'm kind of saddened at how the app store turned out. It seems like if Apple had played their cards differently we might have more really high quality games to choose from. The lack of quality control and 99c standard fucks everything up. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great games on iOS, but there is so much quality poo poo we are probably missing out on.

Beef Assistant posted:

Haha I was looking at price drops on appshopper earlier and saw this game. It's free right now. http://appshopper.com/games/billy-frontier

Those screen shots don't even begin to show how bad that game is. I was just so awestruck at the idea of 3d graphics on my phone that I bought it. It's a collection of like 4 boring mini games that ran at about 2 frames per second on my iPhone 1. Ten loving dollars.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Coldrice posted:

Fair enough. Do you think it's worth the developers time to make a game with depth, or has the mobile market turned too much into a low brow cheap time waster market?

I honestly don't think it's worth their time. I think the best we can ever hope for is ports and the occasional creative indie game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just reading that X-Com EU will be set at a "premium price point". I'd honestly love to see it priced sort of high and do really well to show publishers that it's worth porting major games to iOS. Also, it will have no IAP which is great because it would have been loving offensive to turn X-COM into an iAP game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sad lions posted:

Is there any inkling of a release date yet?

They said it would be a few months when they announced it a couple of months ago, so probably in the next month or 2.

In regards to the no iap thing. The direct quote from Jake Soloman was something like "I couldn't sleep at night if we did that to people". Which I thought was pretty cool.

For anyone who hasn't played the new Xcom, this is your chance to play one of the best games ever made. Ill happily buy it a second time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bummey posted:

Let me guess, iPad only? :argh:

Oh God I hope not. Can anyone confirm if there is an iPhone version?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raged posted:

Has anyone else bought Leviathan: Warships too? I tried create an account and every time I try it gets kicked back with connection failed message.

Sorry I can't help, but can you confirm if there is an iPhone version? It's not up in the US app store yet, except when I try searching on my phone which states that it's iPad only. Everywhere online seems to say there is an iPhone version though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

This is what I got.

I have the same problem, but I'm thinking maybe it's just because the only servers that are online are EU.

Me too. I just saw that every game site listed it as an iPhone game as well, and was hoping it was an error.

Trauts posted:

According to the toucharcade preview, it's iPad only. Which sucks. But there's still the pc version...

That loving blows. Developers need to specify "iPad only" when they are making iOS games. I have been looking forward to that stupid game for a month and now I can't even play it on iOS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

webmeister posted:

It's definitely iPad only. When I search for it from my iPad, it only shows up under "iPad apps", not "iPhone apps". And the store page only says "Compatible with iPad", no mention of iPhones.

Even their official website lists "iOS tablets and phones with enough screen size" as a requirement after you dig into the forums, because the main page is even more vague. Guess I should have bought the bigger iPhone 5 :thumbsup: It can't be that hard to figure out what devices their own games will run on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to view all of my purchased apps? There are tons of games wasting space on my hard drive I want to delete, but I don't want them all to fall into the abyss where i will totally forget about them. I really don't understand why iTunes can't just work like Steam where a purchased item remains in your library even if it's not installed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bummey posted:

You can view a long, stuttery, slow loading, crashy, and unsearchable list of all your purchased apps by going to the App Store on your phone, Update tab and then tapping the Purchased banner at the top of the screen, but that's a miserable exercise in frustration. Don't do it. Really. It's bad.

On your computer, you can open iTunes, go to the Store, click your account name, enter your password, click View Account, scroll down to Purchase History and you can view all your past purchases. Don't do this, either, as you will realize how much money you've wasted on this horrible bullshit and you will probably hurt yourself with a knife or gun or gravity or something.

Don't do it.

Haha. It's true, I honestly don't want to know how much money I have spent on hundreds of games that I have played for roughly 3 minutes each.

I really wish they would overhaul iTunes. It seems so stupid storing gigs of games on my computer for no reason. I just want the icons in iTunes on my computer not the whole drat file.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any opinions on NY Zombies 2?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get missions in vice city? I did the opening stuff but there aren't any objectives for me after I leave the hotel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Black ops zombies worth 2.99 or should I just stop buying iOS dev's attempts at re-creating FPS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone with only an iPhone 5 and no iPad, I am getting really tired of people not specifying whether or not their games are coming out for both. I was really looking forward to Leviathan Warships, Frozen Synapse and XCOM: EU (which may still be coming to iPhone but really I have no idea). I am just sick of hearing "coming to iOS" like it's going to work on all platforms when it won't. Just be clear whether or not it's an iPad only game. It's getting loving annoying.

• Locked thread