Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The decisions you make in The Walking Dead affect your relationships, yeah, but it's really more about how they affect the player. That's more or less the core "effect" the game is designed to evoke, so undermining that would probably ruin the game for the dude who was asking. He said he felt regret for the decision he made. That's exactly what should be happening.

It's a little different from, say, Fallout or some kind of interactive fiction where your choices can lead to wildly different outcomes because it's not quite a role-playing game. It's more about the player finding out what they would do in said situations, and making them question the morality of their own choices. The game also forces you to play a kind of father figure to another character, which is pretty effective in making people try to do what they consider to be "right" rather than just try to be a different person.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Gachapon is pretty popular in Japan (And apparently now in the US, too) but Square Enix's attempt at that was also pretty lovely. They pretty much made it so that playing and paying to win in Guardian Cross are both equally unrewarding and tedious. I don't know how you can gently caress up a Gachapon model that easily but they managed to do it. It's why Mobage is beating them pretty soundly with Marvel and Rage of Bahamut.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

BGrifter posted:

Guardian Cross was actually pretty successful until it got hit with a series of hacks and exploits that made Diablo 2 Battle.net seem secure. Tough to keep people dumping hundreds/thousands of dollars into tickets hoping for a rare card when dupers are offering copies for $10 each. It's a lot worse than that summary, but once a "collectible" game loses the illusion of integrity like that it's impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.

Exactly. You can pay to win in Guardian Cross, but you're not paying Square Enix. And you're very likely to be paying a hacker. That's a bad situation in pretty much every way.

quote:

This Final Fantasy IAP is like buying packs of trading cards. Where you spend a few dollars here and there and get random pieces of a set, all for a product that doesn't really DO anything per se. Are trading cards still a big thing in Japan?

They're pretty huge. You can also buy special trading cards and then use them to play certain arcade games by scanning them in. You can even play competitive games that way, it's pretty genius. Pretty much every popular Thing has one, too.

Besides actual trading cards, there's "gacha" machines where you put in a dollar and get a random toy/card/bauble from the set displayed on the front. It's like the ones in America but with stuff people actually like in them. This idea has extended to mobile games where in Japan a lot of games let you buy booster packs for random in-game items.

I don't know if you saw the article, but a while back Nintendo commented on how they didn't want to use this "gachapon" approach because it erodes trust with the consumer. That stuff is what they were talking about.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Not gonna lie, I haven't seen them myself, either. And I've been flying overseas a lot over the past year and half. I guess it's those cheap tickets!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah Clash of Heroes on the DS was a ton of fun. If the new one has multiplayer on top of that experience it'd be a must-buy.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

quote:

- Challenge your friends online or offline, in 1 vs. 1 or in the brand new asynchronous mode.

And there you have it.

Everyone, buy this game. You will not regret it.

My only complaint is that the high res retina graphics don't have quite the same charm as the sprites that the DS version had, but that's just based on screenshots. It still looks like I'm going to be $5 poorer.

Edit: Oh, you were quoting the article, too, not the guy above me. I should actually read posts more, sorry.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 23, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Has anyone tried Heroes and Castles, by the way? It looks pretty interesting. Kinda reminds me of that old "Defend Your Castle" flash game but you're on the field.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

anticake posted:

In ye olden days to run the NeoGeo ROMs with MAME, or actually any emulator I can think of, you needed a dump of the cabs base ROM. Not sure if it's true of this release though.

I'm pretty sure it's still true; he needs the Neo Geo BIOS file.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Paco de Suave posted:

I have been playing Puzzle Bobble for Neo Geo without supplying a BIOS. I think his problem might be the same one I am running into, this version of MAME uses an older romset than the current version of MAME.

Huh, good to know! By the way, I'm on a non-jailbroken iPhone 5, so is it possible for me to put games in there? I always assumed the file transfer stuff only worked with hacked phones.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Good god, the controls are so awful in Clash of Heroes that I'm almost regretting my recommendation earlier. There's a really fun game in here but it sucks that people will have to put up with that poo poo to get to it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I've tried using both iTools and iFunbox to copy files to Gridlee on my iPhone 5 (6.1), but neither seems to allow me to do it. Anyone else have any luck?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Fazana posted:

Have you run the app once to create the right directory structure? I had that problem until I noticed you needed to do that in the instructions. Once run it makes a normal mame dir structure in the docs folder within the app.

Turns out I was putting them in the wrong folder. :v:

Although I have the same problem as everyone else - it doesn't work with the games I have.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah, the game can be tough at times already, so flat out making moves you didn't want to really compounds that frustration.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

New Tactical RPG called Blazing Souls appears to be up in the store. Anyone picking this up? I like games like this but reviews of the other games in the series don't seem stellar.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

This thread made me decide to go ahead and buy Jones on Fire. It's pretty fun, and I dig the graphics, but I do have to agree that I'd prefer something filling up that purple background. I'm not sure how to put it, but by having the background and foreground being equally simple and un-textured, it actually makes the screen feel jumbled to me. I feel like if there were some clouds or stars or something that contrasted in detail from what's in the foreground it would be a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 12, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's always odd to me how few roguelikes people remember and how 100 Rogues always comes up (which, even bugs aside, isn't the best of the bunch). Maybe it's true that any publicity is good publicity, since the clusterfuck of 100 Rogues' release seems to have stuck it in people's minds.

Here's what I have in my "Rogues" folder, all of which I think are pretty decent in one way or another:

PORTS - I know Harvey requested "not ports" but most of these that were ported have had their interfaces updated in one form or another to be more usable (exception being Powder, see below):
Rogue Touch - Possibly a bit more developed than the port Kaizoku mentioned above, this is a slightly altered version of Rogue. Has some additional extras like secret characters based on your characters' name, and a nice interface, including tiles.

iNetHack - It's Nethack! On your phone! For free!

Slash 'Em - Port of another well-known roguelike. Also free.

Powder - Powder originally was designed for GameBoy Advance and was ported to like every other platform in existence. Intially free on iPhone but I think requires an IAP purchase to go deeper than level 10. Highly recommend trying the PC version here as the interface is kind of a mess and is probably easier to initially figure out on PC. Does have some neat mechanics, I really like how the gods work.

NOT PORTS:
Cavern - Not a port of anything else, a roguelike made from scratch for iOS. Possibly goon made? Or was that The Dungeon (see below)?

The Dungeon - Seven classes, forty levels, nice tiles.

Cardinal Quest - Very streamlined roguelike (it does things like automatically equip better gear).

Sword of Farogoal - as Kaizoku mentioned above, it's pretty good although maybe a little simplistic.

Mysterious Castle - Kind of a mix of a roguelike and something like Ultima or other old RPG style combat since you have a small party that you control in a turn based manner. Randomized dungeons though, of course.

Endless Depths - Has a little more of an active combat system than just "run into dude until he's dead"

The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures - A bit more of something like Shiren or Mystery Dungeon - you run through small dungeons and revert to level 1 at the end of each, but you keep loot and powered up weapons from each run. Kind of an interesting thing where it will generate a random dungeon based on a seed taken from one of the songs on your iPhone.

DEAD:
Legends of Yore was a pretty good one but no longer seems to work and was apparently removed from the app store. :smith:

I'm sure there's other ones too that I've tried and discarded, but I guess the point is there are a lot of good roguelikes out there to try if you are a fan of them.

Thanks for this post! I haven't heard of a lot of these, so I'll definitely look into some of them.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If I remember correctly, those shops sell random goods. I specifically remember being a rogue and resetting until they sold the mark and recall scrolls.

As an aside, if you're a rogue this game is one of those things where you start out getting your rear end kicked and thus look for whatever leg up you can get. That leg up for me was enchanting clothing with a weapon skill. If you want to get strong quickly, look into enchanting your equipment as early as possible.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Akinator's database is filled by our submitted content whenever we stump it, if I recall correctly. You're pretty much asking the internet if it's ever heard of this one dude.

Edit: Wow I shouldn't have let that post sit there for so long.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I guess they needed to address that mailbox full of death threats from train enthusiasts at some point.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The first time I ever made it to Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat II my SNES just powered off. :smith:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think it makes sense at the very least for an iPad because if Apple wants to market it as a kind of multimedia hub and people are using it so much at home in lieu of consoles, why not make it good at what it's supposed to do? There are a lot of games I've played on here that felt like they were just making do with what one of these devices can offer control-wise despite trying to offer a very console-like experience. I say embrace that - let someone treat the iPad like a game console. I feel like it's better for Apple if buying a controller for their iPad lets them enjoy it enough that they skip buying a console and just throw money at iOS games instead.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Checking in to agree that Slayin is pretty drat fun, and I'd recommend it to someone looking for a cute, twitchy action game to play in short bursts.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Mozi posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Funny that one might argue that a unique feature of the AppShopper apps was being able to actually find things, as opposed to Apple's store where you can search the exact title of an app and have it not show up sometimes.

No joke, this is my primary use of that app.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

Sure you can, that happens all the time in this thread.

No, people are giving suggestions and/or saying what they personally want. That's just the dialogue between a consumer and a producer. The devs can choose to listen if they want to. I don't think anyone here is speaking under the impression that Shalinor, eenmachine, etc are obligated to put the things they want into their games.

His point is that we don't have the right to order them to put certain things in the game, but rather to say what we want. Our only bargaining chip is our one sale (or in the case of IAP, the allotted money one of us would spend on the game), and it's up to the developers to guess how many people are thinking the way we are.

Edit: And of course the developers are free to say otherwise. No one's telling anyone they are obligated to make this or buy that.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Game Center is Nickoten. Someone play with me because I've only finished like one out of six games so far.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Its the "What am I thinking?" game from Comedy Bang Bang...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB-OVZmo7Do

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to my mind, too. Incidentally, I've discovered that I'm really bad at What Am I Thinking?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm loving Dead Ahead so far, but the most frustrating thing is missing those ramps by like a couple pixels, especially when the movement controls feel only just serviceable. I think of ramps were just a little more lenient it's feel perfect.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If you're trying to run from fights in Sword and Glory, don't forget that pretty much every fight lets you see the stats/perks of your enemy and still click "Back" on that screen to select a different choice or even "I'll think about it". Sometimes you'll have no choice but to fight, but in many cases it serves a similar purpose to running from battle.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

You are more likely to accidentally make Ramza a god before you even unlock that job.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I really wanted to like it because I enjoyed the Xbox version but I found the controls to be too much trouble.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Apocron posted:

In FFT is it okay to dismiss all the generics except for the four I use?

I remember reading somewhere that Rad has the magic attack growth of a female generic unit and Lavian and Alicia have the physical attack growth of a male generic unit, but now I can't find that information anywhere. Maybe it was from the official guide?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

duckfarts posted:

You should check out the Before I Play entry for the game, like I just did after also wondering if there was anything I should know first. The iPhone version is pretty sweet so far, though the touch interface takes a little getting used to, and entering my birthday was really loving frustrating.

Thanks! I've played the game many times, but I just can't find where I read that information. It might not even be true.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I have no desire to buy a PSP or a Vita, and wish Ogre Battle would be ported to iOS.

This is exactly what I want, too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never played FFT but loved Disgaea 1. How different is FFT and would I like it if I'm searching for a game similar to Disgaea?

It's very different. Classes differ in vastly more ways than they do in Disgaea and the whole hook to the game system is mixing and matching the various unique attributes classes have with others, kind of like Final Fantasy V. Battles also require you to be a bit more careful since there's the risk of losing characters permanently. You also have only five characters to set up your pre-battle formation rather than ten. Also there are pre-battle formations.

There's incentive to grind, but it doesn't become the point of the game itself like in the end-game of Disgaea. It's definitely more of a plot-driven game - you won't find a lot of content revolving around whether you got your reincarnated Majin to break 1 million attack yet. I say this as someone who did all that stuff in Disgaea, of course. Whereas Disgaea felt like a shounen anime towards the end where you're looking for increasingly more ridiculous ways to get your (somewhat homogenous) characters stronger and have lots of ways to approach that, FFT's more about having extreme variety in character abilities and just moving from one battle to the next. There's side content, but not quite on the level of Disgaea where at any given time there's like three ways you could be moving yourself forward, all of which are equally valuable. The plot's also a bit more involved, and the game arguably puts greater attention on it than Disgaea does.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

FFT is like Dark Souls in that it's almost as much fun to talk about/help others in as it is to play it. So please post about your experiences. :)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Super monks (90+br >10fa, dual wield) are in pretty much the same boat, but you could always give them the Lancer's reraise counter if you don't want to use MP Switch. As long as you aren't killed in the first hit after reviving you'll just reapply it when hit. If they have Hamedo they're going to nullify a shitload of physical attacks as well.

Have they changed Blade Grasp at all? Because with over 90 Brave I think it gives enemies a less than 10% chance to hit you, so that's another route to practical invincibility.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Mr.Trifecta posted:

King of Dragon Pass worth that hefty $10 price tag?

Yes, it most definitely is. I really wish some other developers would borrow its ideas and give us some more stuff like it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Hold your shield button and tap attack.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

If you're pretty early in the game, though, best thing to do is get a single monster down to low HP and have Mustadio continuously shoot their legs or arms. A Knight with Speed break works well, too.

Just remember to take off all counter-attack reaction abilities! That has ruined a set up for me on more than one occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The top left button on the first game should be an App Store link to it.

Edit: top left button when you open the menu I mean.

• Locked thread