Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My best of iPad gaming list:

Bad Piggies - seriously just an amazingly lovable yet deep puzzle/platformer.
Angry Birds Star Wars - sounds ridiculous, but great time tested mechanics with amazing flavor true to the source.
Scribblenauts - Another fun puzzle/platformer, you've seen it elsewhere and it's just as good here.
Plants vs Zombies - You know what this is.
Puzzle Craft - Farmville with a match 3 game, amazing.
Punch Quest - Best endless runner, hands down.
Ascension - Best card game next to M:TG. Great deckbuilding multiplayer game that will suck the hours from your day.
Summoner War - Another great TCG style game that's M:TG meets Risk. My favorite game of the year along with Bad Piggies.
Bike Baron - Like Trials on Xbox, but better.
League of Evil - iOS' Super Meat Boy.
Greed Corp - Full port of a highly underrated PC game. Loved it, needs more recognition.
Battleheart - cute but challenging little RPG/RTS hybrid that works great. Hoping for a sequel soon
Loststar Tactics - Terribly cheesy graphics but amazing strategy rpg mechanics.
Space Miner HD - Charming little space game.
Ticket to Ride - My favorite board game on iOS, particularly the Europe version.
Strategery - The best version of Risk on iOS.
Mummy Panic - Goon-made ChuChu Rocket.
Puzzlejuice - Frantic word matching/Tetris game. 3rd best iOS game of the year.
Bastion - Buy it. Now. Game of year the runner up for any system, right behind...
The Wakling Dead - Game of the year, any system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think it's better than Jetpack Joyride in every way. It has a lot more interactivity, where as JJ comes down to "go up, go down". All of the comboing and special moves make it a lot of fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He was searching this page for a recommendation in the 4 shittily organized OP's.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Speaking of Mass Effect: Infiltrator, EA is having a slot machine promotion on their site. You're guaranteed to win an app every time. You can spin once a day. I've won Tetris and ME from it so far.

How do you do it? I just get taken to the sales list.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nickoten posted:

The decisions you make in The Walking Dead affect your relationships, yeah, but it's really more about how they affect the player. That's more or less the core "effect" the game is designed to evoke, so undermining that would probably ruin the game for the dude who was asking. He said he felt regret for the decision he made. That's exactly what should be happening.

It's a little different from, say, Fallout or some kind of interactive fiction where your choices can lead to wildly different outcomes because it's not quite a role-playing game. It's more about the player finding out what they would do in said situations, and making them question the morality of their own choices. The game also forces you to play a kind of father figure to another character, which is pretty effective in making people try to do what they consider to be "right" rather than just try to be a different person.

This is all spot on, and exactly why it's such a great experience. I've been reading the comics since issue 10 was released, love the show, but I think the game is the best yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cats AND voxels? Your really know what the internet likes, sir.

It looks fun though, and I much prefer levels over high scores.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So it's some kind of permadeath/endless game? Interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Obfuscation posted:

"Game"? "Over"? Those are some exciting new concepts you have there.

:drat:

Seriously though, what is this game? It looks like you have rpg and dual stick shooter elements or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blockheads is fantastic. The animations are really standing out as especially good so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just killed a donkey with my bare hands and he dropped an apple. GotY.

What does meditating do? Besides taking forever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone messed with Life is Magic? I'm doing a lot of biking and travelling and it looks like a fun game that could utilize that.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/21/mmobility-a-look-at-the-location-based-mmo-life-is-magic/

Whoa, this game has some amazing art and animation. Goddamn.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 14, 2013

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok, Life is Magic won't get past the tutorial on either my phone or ipad. I thought it was a signal issue, but I got home and have the same problem on wifi on both devices as well. After the tutorial dungeon when you get your first quest I click the banner and it sits at the loading screen for 15+ minutes no matter what. Any solutions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I had this problem too but quitting the app and starting it back up fixed it for me.

Hmm, no luck here. Going to ipad home and relaunching didn't work, neither did force quitting it and relaunching.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not at all, you can use the teleport scrolls to go to a lot of large destinations like NYC, San Fran, etc. The location based stuff is very minor, though fun. I'm in the same boat, I can't even go to street view level in my area (it never loads anything).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

How...? I have 11 Travel Tokens, and the cheapest place to go costs 18.

Weird, I went to NYC for 3 tokens, the most expensive on my list was ~9.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Hebug posted:

It might be a more US-centric game and traveling across an ocean is expensive. What's your character name? I need to make a party for this quest.

Booshi. This character is only level 2 though, I'm getting boned and can't get through any level 1 dungeons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

I just added you, so you'll have a level 6 Monk with you if you want to keep playing.

Wow gently caress this game. Went in a level 1 dungeon with another level 5 and 6 in my party. Steamrolled through 9 levels then the 10th level boss one shot everyone. The first 9 levels monsters hit for about 20-50 a hit, then he hit all characters for 450-500, and instantly gave me popups for IAP to revive my characters (who would just get one shotted again). In a level 1 dungeon. With 2 overleveled characters. Also, for doing an entire dungeon you get maybe 400 gold, yet a single potion costs 1,000 gold. gently caress. This. Game. IAP-sink grindfest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Summoner Wars is also great. Solforge looks promising too, barring some balance adjustments after the beta release.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Temple Run has always sucked, I couldn't play it for 10 seconds without getting a headache.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The expansions are fantastic and add a ton of replay value. You can mix the sets or play them all individually, which really makes it have a ton of content and changes the strategy significantly depending on what sets are being played.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jivjov posted:

I went ahead and bought ATB and its a fun little time-waster, but yeah, the DLC/IAP scheme is ridiculous.

You are part of the problem. You literally can't progress in the game without forking over lots of money, which is a lovely system in a freemium game and just plain evil in a paid game by a developer like Square Enix. gently caress them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

All Playdek Inc. games and IAP are on sale for 0.99 this weekend.

I highly recommend everyone get Ascension and Summoner Wars. I picked up Penny Arcade just in time for some weekend traveling.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All Playdek stuff is on sale for .99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/summoner-wars/id493752948?mt=8

quote:

Everything Bundle 1$0.99

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Extra little packs with cards you can't get in any of the expansions. They're pretty fun, and since you're saving a few bucks from the sell you should get it if you like the game :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Penny Arcade game is really fun. Great deckbuilder game that I like at least as much as Ascension after playing it all weekend. Best $1 I've spent in a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it made a couple long bus rides a lot more enjoyable today. It could really use an expansion pack or two to add a little more variety, but well worth a buck.

That's what I was just thinking. The only thing I like more about Ascension is the larger variety, but it's still really fun and a nice change after putting a lot of hours into Ascension.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, you just missed the sale Pan Ache :(

Balckadder, The World Ends With You is fantastic for a premium RPG, one of my favorite DS games in a good port.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Raveyyy posted:

5 bucks with ads, pass

Yeah, this is a stupid trend.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I totally called it. Looks fun though, can't wait to see it in action.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

eeenmachine posted:

What better way to race to the bottom than in a literal racing game?

http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/11/real-racing-3-will-be-free-to-play/

God I hope they don't go with some bullshit recharge system where you get X amount of free races a day and have to pay for more. That's the worst.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

8 gigs? gently caress that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

delfin posted:

If it'll make you feel better, the latest Dungelot build makes it pretty damned easy to grind.

What is your strategy to break the game like that? I'm pretty bad at it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is there anything like Faster Than Light on iOS? I know it's been hinted at in the future, and I know about Star Command (which will never be released), but I really love FTL and would kill to get my fix on the go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bad Piggies also has a pretty large update with about 36 new levels, hell yeah!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well I've spent about an hour with Real Racing 3 and so far I've hit no paywall or frustration. I really enjoy the variety of modes and events, though the drag racing is ridiculous with the way it handles the green light.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nice, Angry Birds is cool again :cool:

Non-ironically, Angry Birds Star Wars and Bad Piggies are my favorite iOS games.

Also, for you guys playing Real Racing 3, save your gold until about level 10 when you hit 65 and buy the Mclaren super car, it's a blast and you can get that much quicker than the hundreds of thousands the other cars on the same level cost. It's also one of the best performing cars at that level.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Walking Dead: Assault is really kick-rear end, especially for free. Thanks for the heads up!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Does Pokemon Emerald or Fire Red work? My GB Micro is on it's last leg :(

Nevermind, it's already pulled.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That makes the game sound incredibly dull. Not surprised, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the whole mechanic of "matching colored coins" to fire weapons and stuff is all kinds of :psyduck: and not fun sounding. Meh.

• Locked thread