Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Cricket.

(I don't have anything to say, I just can't find the bookmark button on the new stylesheet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

thehappyprince posted:

it's the star at the top left now. took me a while to find it

Cheers.

Also I was considering those figurines for a friend but they're like 800 pounds.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thread title is great. That's one of the best cricket moments ever.

I don't know if the "not getting wickets" was a question, or a statement. It may indeed be that he's offering the not getting of wickets as an answer to the preceding question, but in my mind I heard it more as Johnson giving an example of why he thinks Anderson should not be chirping. "[So] why you chirpin' now, mate? [You're] not getting wickets!". The upward inflection suggests that it's a question but you may be familiar with such unnecessary vocal tricks employed by we Australians if you've seen our soaps-opera.

There's a strong case for both scenarios. I intend to write Johnson a letter to ask.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Largepotato posted:

Either Alligators and Arseholes or Dingoes and Dropkicks by Max Walker.

They're both real beauties.

I'm getting one for Christmas.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I think he's going to be the next Doctor Who.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

baked posted:

So there's an ODI v Sri Lanka today. Does anyone give a gently caress?

Usually I would give no fucks about an ODI between any countries, but I am a George Bailey fan so will watch a bit for that.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
If Phil 'Better than Bradman' Hughes runs out Bailey I'm going to get mad.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
And I'd have to congratulate him for making me emotional about short-form cricket.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just saw the score. gently caress. Australia will still win.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Did Taylor just ask Nicholas if he knew what 'squirting' was?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

-Spiffy- posted:

Wish these channel 9 fuckwits would shut up about Haddin.

No one wants him back, hes old and poo poo godammit.

I met a bloke over Christmas who was railing against CA for dumping Haddin. First I'd come across.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The selectors care as much as Australian cricket followers about this series. They're only worried about getting into shape for the world cup. Which still exists!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Pig in the City posted:

If anyone's interested, here's a big dumb thing I put too much time into:
http://fineanimalgorilla.com/2013/01/14/prime-ministers-xi-made-of-prime-ministers/

The PM's XI made of PMs

This is great, nice one!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
When I was a kid the tests and ODIs were sprinkled over the whole summer. I get the difficulty in doing that from a team scheduling point of view but I think it kept fans of just one format somewhat interested in the other.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Good times.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Most of my twitter friends seem to agree that this would be awesome were it not for English cricket fans.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
This is the best thread.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Reminiscent of the Katich / team song thing a few years back.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

thehappyprince posted:

I heard the team song now is the Renford Rejects theme song.

I have no idea what that is but I guess it's not complimentary.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I barrack for Carlton.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Whole lot of manchildren.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Frogmanv2 posted:

Who else, other than Clarke, was being a manchild?

Pretty much any professional athlete.

edit: and forums posters including me

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Cocksmith posted:

Every good cricketer is a massive oval office.

And this increases on a scale according to the skill of the cricketer. Exhibit A: Don Bradman.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Does the PM even pick his/her own team? If so, I can imagine Howard and Hawke picking theirs but presume any others in the last 30 years left it up to someone else. Although Rudd probably would have just because he micromanaged everything.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah it's big news over here for our footy codes but I struggle to care about drugs in sport. It's a good news story compared to the rape allegations we usually hear in the off-season.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Australia traditionally doesn't do very well in India. Yeah, the team isn't very good at the moment and there's no gilding the lily there but it's par for the course.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Paul.Power posted:

There's "not doing very well" and there's "comically shooting yourself in the foot".

I also don't have pay tv and avoid sports media so I'm just learning about this now.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
In domestic news an outright win against the Vics and favourable results in other games saw Tasmania jump from fourth to topping the table and hosting the final.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ponting scored 875 runs for Tasmania at an average of 87.40.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Hi, thread.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-29/ponting-would-never-say-never-to-ashes-recall/4721192

quote:

Former Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting has left open the possibility of playing in this year's Ashes series, if Australian selectors ask him to return.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ricky "Cowdrey" Ponting

edit: except that Cowdrey was well-loved even outside of his own country.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Mister Chief posted:

Why are you even posting that crap? Some reporter asked him a stupid loving question just to get a headline and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

:(

In other news this is the first time I've been here since summer so I don't know what the prevailing group theory is but I'm not sure things are as desperate for Australia as the media thinks. I wouldn't put them down for an easy victory but I also wouldn't put them down for 0-5. It's test cricket, things happen. Let's think about the next ten tests, what number of victories would you put money on? Australia is inconsistent, but the players are not outright bad.

I'd think England should win five, Australia could win three, and presume at least a couple of draws. 5-3-2. This may be optimistic but it's not out of the question. Depending where these wins happen, who knows what a bit of confidence for Australia or pressure for England could do to affect the outcome?

I'm anti-nationalistic and don't care who wins, but I love a tight contest and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Can't wait. I love it when the Ashes are in England, on TV in prime time.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I don't care how bad things seem, just the fact that the winter (better) Ashes start tonight puts a spring in my step. Flicking between Tour and Test is the best thing.

cadfael posted:

Im getting excited. I'll also be back in the #ashes channel on synIRC if anyone cares or remembers.

That's pretty cute, made me smile.

But it's wrong, as I wrote years ago. Wrong wrong wrong!
http://ireckon.net/2009/08/the-ashes-urn-is-not-a-trophy

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

-Spiffy- posted:

According to the TV guide its on Gem this year meaning Mark "loving" Nicolas is coming to your living room.

Dunno what commentary feed we will get tho.

On the upside it means that we might be seeing it in HD.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Noxin of Shame posted:

This Agar chap looks petrified, but I think he will gel well in the side if the culture is right.

Very nice. Much better than the Root puns on twitter.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Does a club other than Nottinghamshire play at this ground? I’d like to see a tenants’ Trent Bridge derby.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Went to bed at tea, woke up to headline "Siddle confident Australia can take first innings lead". I presumed it meant that England's tail had wagged big until I read on.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Coq au Nandos posted:

You've seen your share of Australian batting collapses, I don't understand how that wasn't your first assumption.

Fair enough. As EMC said, it was because the comment was coming from Siddle. Presumed he couldn't finish the job.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

thehappyprince posted:

boss key are you deep square leg?

Yep. Just wanted to cut down its appearances in casual google searches since I use the name elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Are any of these ten tests going to last for more than four days? Three?

thehappyprince posted:

That sounds ominous

More :tinfoil: than anything. Just separating a couple of profiles.

• Locked thread