Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I predict that we will win only one of the ten Ashes test and that Alastair Cook will score at least 1200 runs. And that Kevin Pietersen will score a double century somewhere, probably Adelaide. All in all I'm not really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

newmalden posted:

Lovely tribute to CMJ from the Grauniad's Lord Selvey. Warning: contains golf.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/01/christopher-martin-jenkins-cricket-best-friend

I really liked this article, and their Greig stuff. In fact all of the guardian's cricket writing is exceptional. Rob Smyth in particular is a brilliant journalist (although some of the stuff he writes on Man United can be a bit much)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I'm actually a bit worried that herath might rip through the line up. Its not deep, its fragile, the pitch is drying out and spinning.

Good call on the toss Clarke you maniac.
We would deserve it for this team selection to be honest

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
What in the gently caress was Samaraweera playing at??

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Biscuit posted:

Not even my pub-grade association would allow it, unfortunately it may be some time off.

I wonder if they will move Hussey up a few spots to get a hit tomorrow (it isn't usually done though)?
It's the least Clarke owes him after that shambles in the first innings

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Alex Hales. They were seriously massive shots. He has like the fourth highest amount of sixes hit in the tournament from one match.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Who the hell is Kane Richardson?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
You know it's bad when you check cricinfo and they have a link to the lowest ODI totals ever made.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Captain Matchbox posted:

Heard a good yarn tonight on the piss about how Clarke was a oval office to Hussey after his last match
I'd be interested to know this story

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Captain Matchbox posted:

Allegedly after Husseys last test match the players wanted to have a drink in the rooms with Huss but Clarke was having a sook and wanted them all to go to Packer's boat or something. Most of the guys weren't keen but Clarke phoned in an official team event which obliges them all to go. I think 2 or 3 of them like Siddle refused and stayed with Huss.
Pretty ugly if true. Doesn't really reflect well on Clarke at all

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
A mate of mine works for the ALP in Canberra and he knows the guy that picked Rudd's teams.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Woke up exxpecting to see the first innings score, not the result. Comprehensive!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
So do we start considering Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Kallis' place among great pace attacks in history? That's three teams in 15 months that they've bowled teams out for less than fifty.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I think we should be allowed to have Clarke bat at 3 and 5

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
There has to be more to this than just a missed homework assignment.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm gonna have to go the Oval this season, will surely be my last chance to see Ponting in the flesh

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
This is an absolute disgrace

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2013/content/story/637367.html

quote:

Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf has been withdrawn by the ICC from officiating in the upcoming Champions Trophy in England following media reports that indicated he was under investigation by Mumbai Police.

"In the wake of reports that the Mumbai Police are conducting an investigation into Asad Rauf's activities, we feel that it is in Asad's best interests as well as those of the sport and the event itself, that he is withdrawn from participating in the ICC Champions Trophy," Dave Richardson, the ICC chief executive, said in a statement on Thursday.

What is going on???

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

boss key posted:

:(

In other news this is the first time I've been here since summer so I don't know what the prevailing group theory is but I'm not sure things are as desperate for Australia as the media thinks. I wouldn't put them down for an easy victory but I also wouldn't put them down for 0-5. It's test cricket, things happen. Let's think about the next ten tests, what number of victories would you put money on? Australia is inconsistent, but the players are not outright bad.

I'd think England should win five, Australia could win three, and presume at least a couple of draws. 5-3-2. This may be optimistic but it's not out of the question. Depending where these wins happen, who knows what a bit of confidence for Australia or pressure for England could do to affect the outcome?

I'm anti-nationalistic and don't care who wins, but I love a tight contest and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Can't wait. I love it when the Ashes are in England, on TV in prime time.

Personally I struggle to see Australia winning more than one test in both series.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The main differences between the batting line ups are Trott and Prior. Get some consistent runs out of those two and Australia's cooked

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about bloody Pietersen. He's guaranteed at least two match winning innings across ten Tests, the bastard

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

boss key posted:

I'm anti-nationalistic and don't care who wins, but I love a tight contest and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility. Can't wait. I love it when the Ashes are in England, on TV in prime time.
Ridiculously, two of the Tests are happening in the city I live in but I almost certainly won't be able to watch one full day of the series.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

thehappyprince posted:

Send more boats there's an Olympics in 3 years lool
Are you really going there? I don't really know why this is an issue anyway. We've had a couple of Cameroonian weighlifters competing for us since the New Delhi Commonwealth Games. It's not a new thing at all.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
England are doing this beautifully here imo. A score of 300+ is still well and truly on the cards and I doubt this Aussie batting lineup is going to be chasing down anything about 270

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gay picnic defence posted:

250 or so will be a pretty safe score against Australia.
You'd say so, unless Warner or Watson go beserk. Just can't see enough fire power in our middle order to get us there otherwise

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We let Bresnan and Bopara get away from us there... why did Watson only bowl seven overs and Starc ten?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I have tickets to the Australia vs. Sri Lanka match next Monday. It's going to be a dead rubber isn't it?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Scylo posted:

Clarke has been ruled out of tomorrow's match against New Zealand so I'm sure that's going to go well
I get the feeling Clarke's played his last ODI. His back is completely ruined, apparently it takes a monumental effort for him to be right for any match at all

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
India are going to win the gently caress out of the Champion's Trophy

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
loving meatheaded idiot. The only way that kind pf behaviour is sanctionable is if the punchee is Stuart Broad.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Do the Aussie posters rate Bailey? He's got a decent little record going.

He's not the most talented batsman, but he values his wicket and doesn't play outside himself. Should be in the Test side ahead some of the streaky fuckers we have now

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Wow, I had no idea the NRR was so lopsided. We're basically hosed then

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We need to knock these runs off in 29.1 overs

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Ingram, Amla, De Villiers and Duminy must be sitting there watching Miller make an effortless run a ball fifty and kicking themselves. What a disgraceful top order performance.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
England will win by eight wickets with 27 balls to spare. Trott 47* (103)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Trott would have to be a serious chance to win man of the tournament.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

goatface posted:

Is he on crack?
He said 'most well rounded' from what I read. Which still isn't true, we don't have a spinner. We arguably have the best pace depth, but I'm not sure how helpful that is if you struggle to keep the same set of blokes on the park.

EDIT:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/20/micky-arthur-australia-better-bowlers-england posted:

"We've got the best all-round bowling attack in world cricket," he said. "I'm talking depth wise. That's a massive boost for us. If we play for the badge it's going to be extremely powerful, and if our batsmen get enough runs we've got a really good chance in this Ashes series because I'm confident we're going to get 20 wickets."

Boonys Cut Shot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 20, 2013

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Mister Chief posted:

They have a reserve day.
No they don't. If it's rained off the trophy's shared.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Haha this match is an absolute farce

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I don't even know what to say anymore. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Unimpressed posted:

What what? where did you see that? Rogers got an overflow exception with his county runs and Shane loving Watson is opening???
I thought picking Rogers was the best move the Audsies made. Use him you clowns!

• Locked thread