Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

4liters posted:

Hopefully they use the India series to blood a bunch of spin bowlers, one of whom will replace Lyon and turn into Warne II.

I remember when Warne was at his peak and the line that would always come up either in cricket journalism or the match commentary was that all the young kids watching the cricket would want to be as good as Warne and Australia would never be in want of a good spinner again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
A bowling lineup of Bird, Siddle and Pattinson seems to be a not-crap option provided they're all healthy.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Obviously not the bit about being bowled out for 45, but certainly about the captaincy drama and the hamfisted handling of the fall-out by the officials, sure.

In that sense Australian cricket has been pretty stable since Kim Hughes gave up the captaincy.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

You Am I posted:

Bloody hell can Johnson ever string two games together where he is playing good cricket?

This, but the entire Australian team.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cool. Maybe Andrew Bolt can do commentary.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Windmill Hut posted:

Clearly this streaker had his mind fried in the sun today. Why do they never show them getting owned by security? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPak-o9i6NM

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Well it's a team, that's for sure.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

RideTheSpiral posted:

How does Dilshan open the bowling and bowl three maidens?

Australia

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cat Terrist posted:

Clarke out, all out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E97qXsSKJUY

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

Minus Pattinson and Clarke this has to be the worst Australian team I have ever seen in my time following cricket. If they went the total youth policy and picked guys with a heap of potential I wouldn't mind so much that they were getting spanked as long as they were working toward some future goal. Instead guys are getting picked for Australia with serious flaws in their game like Watson/Hughes/Cowan/Wade or guys who are just below international standard, i.e Maxwell/any current 'spinner'.

Well often those players with flaws in their game are the ones with potential, presuming they can fix those flaws. I don't know how many 18 year olds with flawless technique are out there to choose from.

The only thing preventing Australia from hitting absolute rock-bottom at this point is Clarke and a decent pace attack.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

You Am I posted:

Even if Clarke hits 100, Australia's total will still be something like 120-130.

Instead of a quick top-order collapse we'll get a quicker middle-order collapse.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Mister Chief posted:

He couldn't be any worse than the dreck they have in there currently.

This is Steve Smith we're talking about here.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Stop trying to fool me into thinking the Ashes will be close, England.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Didn't do their homework lol

quote:

Players were asked to outline three points on what they bring to the team by email or in person, and given five days to complete the task. The four players did not complete the assignment by the given deadline.
Arthur said the shock axings were a move to maintain standards in team culture. "This is a line in the sand," he said.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Watson is probably going to be captain in the last test. This loving team.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We just need a couple of people who can grind out an innings and not come in to bat at 5-117 and try and tonk them all over the place like an idiot. An idiot named Maxwell.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

4liters posted:

He has that cuntish "gently caress you, I'm not getting out to you" attitude Steve Waugh had. Pity he doesn't have the talent to match, but we'll take whatever we can get atm.

Nothing wrong with that attitude at all. It'd be nice if the actual players in the team supposedly chosen for their batting protected their wicket though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Auditore posted:

My flatmate just said when his stats came up on screen, "He's a better batsman than that average suggests". How someone that stupid is even capable of drawing breath I don't know.

Sounds like he would be a good fit with the Ch 9 commentary team.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Australia should just pick a team entirely made up of pace bowlers with a couple of spinners and ditch the idea of dedicated batsmen entirely.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Hyperriker posted:

I think this is literally the highest score made by an 11 on debut

Yep.

RideTheSpiral posted:

This would unironically make a better team.

Bowl the other team out super cheaply and try and tonk a decent score quickly. Repeat in the second innings.

This whole batting thing was nice while it lasted but the fad is over.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hughes is doing well. Trying to work the strike to the batsman out there by pushing singles where he can.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Top score is by the debuting #11. Noice.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So what, did the pitch turn into a road all of a sudden as soon as Agar stepped foot onto it? What the gently caress were the top-order doing

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Agar really likes Swann eh.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Also the second-fastest 50 on debut by an Australian. First-fastest was Gilchrist.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

You Am I posted:

I have to say the Sky commentary shits all over Nine's.

I was confused while watching it because the commentators aren't shilling for KFC constantly or telling us about new shows on the network, or having trivia competitions or telling bad jokes.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Congrats England you got the #11 batsman out.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
9/177 to 10/280. That's shameful even with the improved batting conditions.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yes. Typo.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Collapse incoming.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Oh well. At least it was a close game, for the most part.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Either send every dismissal to the DRS or get rid of the system entirely imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Can Bell and Agar share player of the match accolades?

just to clarify: the only Australian player who didn't really contribute this match was Cowan, right?

edit: and Clarke lol

Seams fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2013

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Thanks for helping secure Haddin's place in the squad Finn.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Coucho Marx posted:

Is there anyone who's actually a longer-term captaincy prospect? Clarke's back isn't good, and Watson's fragile. Haddin's at the end of his career, Cowan might not last in the side, Hughes is a nervous wreck, and Smith, ha ha. Shame about Paine, wasn't he tauted as a possible captain before his injury? So I guess Wade then.

gently caress.

Agar. He's not the new Warne he's the next Benaud.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So Anderson's bowling next over right

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
There's only one way for this test to end and that's with a dodgy DRS decision.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Quanta posted:

Haddin and Pattinson both look formidable and they're going to saunter to the target.

That's what I thought when Watson and Rogers had Australia at 0/100 or thereabouts.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

goatface posted:

England's bowling at the tail has been dire for ages now. What ever the gently caress the bowling coaches have been doing needs to be undone.

Whatever the bowling equivalent of "gotta play your shots mate" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Seams posted:

There's only one way for this test to end and that's with a dodgy DRS decision.

• Locked thread