Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The game options memories setting is broken anyways, it doesn't work. As well, memories add save game bloat and don't really add anything to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Well to be fair, I do it so I can record the description of the lifetime wishes description.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

IAmTheRad posted:

The game options memories setting is broken anyways, it doesn't work. As well, memories add save game bloat and don't really add anything to the game.

So NRAAS is what I need to stop it doing that, correct?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The only reason I play The Sims is because it's a great insanity generator.

But being able to capture the best and most :3: moments of the game is really what brings it all together.

:confused:

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009

President Ark posted:

Two questions:

1. I got an amazon gift card for christmas. If I use it to buy an expac, can I use that with the installation I got using steam?

Technically yes but only if you want to switch everything over to origin.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Elth posted:

The only reason I play The Sims is because it's a great insanity generator.

I love this image. Also, what the gently caress? Sims can sit on the edge of a bathtub?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I love this image. Also, what the gently caress? Sims can sit on the edge of a bathtub?

Yes, it's one of the places they will use to eat their lunch if every table chair is occupied.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Of all the games I got on this Steam sale, picking The Sims 3 up (plus Showtime but I haven't bothered with any of its content) has probably paid off the most for me so far. The singular thing that annoyed me the most about the original game is gone, for the career choice I chose, at least. Not requiring friends. My Sims always wind up as shut-in hermits so it's nice for it not to be a requirement. Juggling bathroom breaks, moods, party guests, and sleeping schedules while trying to schmooze neighbors to advance in my job was not my idea of fun. I could handle it for a few hours, but eventually it got to me. So far I've been a successful Power Broker who is a Writer in his spare time, been keeping it simple and having a lot of fun.

I missed out on 2, but really 3 is entertaining me well enough so far. I wish the Seasons pack wasn't so expensive though, I'm going to have to keep an eye on that through out future sales as it's the main one I feel would make me enjoy this game even more.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even as someone who's a "hardcore" gamer who's been playing Quake for years and such, I loving love the Sims. It's a wonderful sandbox and the stuff you can do with the sims is hilarious. One of my favourite characters was a shut-in loner who lived across the street from a playground. The one time he went socializing he went back home in tears pretty much and lived the rest of his life eating pizza until he died a lonely death.

I also love this video series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0wWicWgW0

Jim Pickens, the mass serial killer who keeps his victims ashes in his shed.

There was a pretty good post in the last thread about how to reduce stuttering. Anyone happen to have it on hand?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

MykonosFan posted:

The singular thing that annoyed me the most about the original game is gone, for the career choice I chose, at least. Not requiring friends. My Sims always wind up as shut-in hermits so it's nice for it not to be a requirement.

There are some for which relationship numbers are a requirement, like journalism and politics. Usually you can just slowly power through it without getting those relationships though, and you can also usually chat to coworkers while working.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Furret Basket posted:

There are some for which relationship numbers are a requirement, like journalism and politics. Usually you can just slowly power through it without getting those relationships though, and you can also usually chat to coworkers while working.

Plus I believe there's a trait you can gain with those wish points that makes it impossible for you to lose friends. You don't have to worry about calling them up all the time to keep them from becoming distant.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Ddraig posted:

I also love this video series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr0wWicWgW0

Jim Pickens, the mass serial killer who keeps his victims ashes in his shed.

There was a pretty good post in the last thread about how to reduce stuttering. Anyone happen to have it on hand?

What is the best video to show this off to non-Sims friends so they can see the serial killer part and not the making a Sim and house part?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I had a problem where none of my (official) custom content would install, and after a lot of pissing about it turned out that I had to redownload the whole lot again off the website, so if your game says "You are not patched up for this!" when you try and install objects and stuff, that's most likely your issue, it's not a problem with patches at all, it's just EA being daft.

Also if the official website simply says "We are unable to process your request" no matter what you do, you need to clear out your cookies.

I haven't yet worked out a fix for logging into your account in-game when it says your email/password is wrong, despite it being right.

With that and my Sims Steam account being hacked, it's been a fun few days...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 4, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Himuro posted:

What is the best video to show this off to non-Sims friends so they can see the serial killer part and not the making a Sim and house part?

This one has murdering in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1R0KNcd8E

He's using a mod to allow him to stab other sims. Not sure which one it is.

e: While we're on the subject, I really like this one, where he steals his next target's car, builds himself a garage, then puts his new car in it and invites him over to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY3es0Qv03U

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 4, 2013

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
What was the goon-made neighborhood from the last thread? I scoured it for a minute but wasn't able to locate it. Had "river" in the name I think.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

This is probably my favorite crazy bullshit that's happened in Sims 3 lately. My sim threw a costume party and about halfway through the box of dog toys by the fireplace ignited. Instantly, the lady who showed up dressed as a fireman let out a war cry and doused it. She was self-employed and I guess since she never went to work she never really changed outfits because from that point on she was always, always dressed as a fireman. Or maybe she just found her calling!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Beezle Bug posted:

This is probably my favorite crazy bullshit that's happened in Sims 3 lately. My sim threw a costume party and about halfway through the box of dog toys by the fireplace ignited. Instantly, the lady who showed up dressed as a fireman let out a war cry and doused it. She was self-employed and I guess since she never went to work she never really changed outfits because from that point on she was always, always dressed as a fireman. Or maybe she just found her calling!

She's a method actor, obviously.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I loved playing Sims 3 but it seemed like with every expansion pack the game got slower and more stuttery. I was playing with Awesomemod and NRaas' stuff, but I didn't think it would have that great of an effect. Sims 3 turned my beast of a computer into molasses. I quit playing after Pets, I think, because of it. Have their been any optimizations/improvements/something to make that better?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How come nothing crazy happens in my Sims 3 game?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Beezle Bug posted:

I just love that not only are there 3 hot dog people at this party, they're all different colors. :allears:

edit: oh my god what happened to your arms

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 5, 2013

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Cantorsdust posted:

I loved playing Sims 3 but it seemed like with every expansion pack the game got slower and more stuttery. I was playing with Awesomemod and NRaas' stuff, but I didn't think it would have that great of an effect. Sims 3 turned my beast of a computer into molasses. I quit playing after Pets, I think, because of it. Have their been any optimizations/improvements/something to make that better?

How many mods were you running and how many expansion packs did you have?

As an aside, which mod was it that turned off the intro and skipped alot of the fluff and consequently bloated crap that just slowed everything down in load times?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Himuro posted:

You probably play it either very well or are exceedingly lucky, I guess.

My latest sim spent all her money on a guitar, then couldn't pay her bills so the repoman repossessed her furniture, her cats got taken away from her for neglect, and her cooker burned down so she now has to live out of other people's homes.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I love the Sims series and have probably spent more time with it than all the Elder Scrolls and Fallouts of this generation, and those probably have hundreds of hours each.

It's not just the fact that it's infinitely repayable, it's the fact that trying to bust the game is half the fun. Creating crazy schemes and turning the sandbox into an actual game by imposing made up rules is where I get all my enjoyment out of it.

Making your own fun in a game is pretty much the key in sandboxes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Himuro posted:

You play the game properly. I find that to be exceedingly boring so the way I play is to just do whatever my sims wants are, no matter how stupid or terrible. I'm pretty sure one of my families is going to go bankrupt soon because they don't stop buying stuff. When you let Sims do what they want rather than actively guiding them things tend to go bad.

Which reminds me, will any Sims ever put out fires without outside direction? Once a fire broke out in one of my houses and the sims just danced around the stove panicking while the fire consumed half the kitchen before I realized they weren't going to put it out on their own.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I think the only Sims that autonomously attempt to extinguish fire (besides firemen) are Brave or Daredevil sims.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I quite like to make a freeloader sim. Don't give him a house, or give him an incredibly crappy house, then see if you can be successful by befriending people and living in their house. I once got real friendly with a very rich sim and used to go around his place all the time to use his pool or eat his food or even sleep there. His wife hated me, but we were bros for life. No job, no fixed income, just leeching off every other sim.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Himuro posted:

What kind of Sims are you making? I usually make Sims with ideas in mind like "well, this guy will be a professional author, and his girlfriend will be a doctor" and then I'll give them traits for that, plus a couple normal personality ones--friendly or shy or what have you. While I still have fun with this, I've decided to kick it up a notch. Throw in insane, neurotic, kleptomaniac, evil, whatever the hell. Chaos reigns :getin:

Also, I didn't realize when I bought it that Supernatural gives you the ability to straight-up murder motherfuckers. During a zombie attack I decided to send out my witch character to gently caress with them a bit like I do every full moon by blasting them with the fire and ice spells. Until one fire blast, instead of just singeing the other guy like normal, caused them to burst into flames from head to toe. The witch started screaming, then the whole family plus two friends the teen daughter had invited over ran out and surrounded the burning zombie, screaming and running around until the Grim Reaper showed up. Sorry, dude.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why does this game run like poo poo on a brand new PC.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
I had that too, if you're running a lot of Nraas poo poo cut back on it, that fixed it for me. If you're not, godspeed.

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Beezle Bug posted:

I had that too, if you're running a lot of Nraas poo poo cut back on it, that fixed it for me. If you're not, godspeed.

What did it for me was Relativity, try taking that one out if you have it. I have 3 other Nraas mods but none of them slow it down even a little.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Until one fire blast, instead of just singeing the other guy like normal, caused them to burst into flames from head to toe. The witch started screaming, then the whole family plus two friends the teen daughter had invited over ran out and surrounded the burning zombie, screaming and running around until the Grim Reaper showed up. Sorry, dude.

I did the exact same thing, except my witch just calmly walked back inside to do whatever. Then the zombie started sprinting for the door, probably to douse himself in the shower, at which point I locked the door. He danced on the porch for a minute before teleporting underground and spawning a clone of himself. :psyduck:

I couldn't see him at all but I knew he was still there since the dog would keep barking at that specific spot all night.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You know when you find a mod that you didn't know you needed until that exact moment? I had one of those moments with this little mod and I thought I'd share it with you all. I HATE that when my Sims eat something, they'll spend half their time choking on it, not only does it feel like it makes it take longer but I'm really sensitive to the sounds of coughing - like nails on a chalkboard to me. So I found this and it instantly fixed one of the biggest annoyances I have in the game, and I suspect I know exactly who on this forum made it so thank you so much for fixing one of my small niggles about the game.

On the topic of downloading things, does anyone have some good sites for downloading male clothes? I can find just about anything I want for female adult/teen sims pretty easily but poor dudes get the short end of the stick and they need to be stylish too!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I also bought Sims 3 at the Steam Sale and now I only need Supernatural to have all the expansions and I have all the stuff packs except Katy Perry, which I probably won't get. It's all I've been playing for like two weeks now. Help, I have a problem.

I've installed most of the mod suggestions and Overwatch definitely helps make the game run much better, so thanks for that.

My favorite one I haven't seen listed so far is Retuned Attraction System. My sim was constantly getting bombarded with calls from guys asking her out on dates, to the point where her wedding was interrupted by one. Though it was nice to get 10+ free times in her mailbox almost every day, it was really annoying. Now I don't think I've been called for a date since, and still occasionally get free items. She's a Kleptomaniac anyway, so its not like I'm lacking in free items.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sims 3 was one of the top sellers on the Steam Christmas sale, so all the content are back at 66% again, except Supernatural and Seasons which get 50%.

[edit] Oh, I guess Sims Medieval's long missing expansion got quietly returned to the store for 66%. It's very buggy and tends to sent you back to the store front page, but it's there under Sims Medieval (just refresh to see it).

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 5, 2013

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If I can get the dang thing to drop into my cart, is it worth buying? I put off getting Medieval on Steam because I thought I'd never get the complete game, then got it as a gift earlier in the sale. Still haven't played very much so I assume I could get some expansion integration fairly easily.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, just doublechecking here.

Ambitions adds more control to what I do at work? Or does it just add new jobs. I'm just curious what adding to work actually does.

Late Night adds more control to nightlife, correct? Like I can hang around clubs and whatnot?

What exactly does Generations add? I thought it added having kids, but it seems that's already in, just more control over what kids can do?

What are the "quests" mentioned in World Adventures? I'm not big on the whole explore the world stuff, but if it adds a quest system that applies to the base game too, I might pick it up.

Sorry for all the questions, the last Sims game I played was Sims 2, and I always hated the long waits of nothing while my main Sim was at work, and not having anything to do but be super antisocial when he got back ( Use the computer! Read! Watch TV! Invite people to a party! THERE IS NO OUTSIDE WORLD. ). Wondering just how much Ambitions/Late Night actually add, and if they'd fix those issues.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Single Tight Female posted:

If I can get the dang thing to drop into my cart, is it worth buying? I put off getting Medieval on Steam because I thought I'd never get the complete game, then got it as a gift earlier in the sale. Still haven't played very much so I assume I could get some expansion integration fairly easily.

Yeah it added some nice content from what I played of it (I bought it before it was pulled). It took me a few tries to get it to stick in the cart when I was testing to see if it was truly back.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Am I the only goon who bought every Sims 3 exp pack and DLC on steam in one go? :science:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Rirse posted:

Yeah it added some nice content from what I played of it (I bought it before it was pulled). It took me a few tries to get it to stick in the cart when I was testing to see if it was truly back.

Alright brilliant, I'll get on that then.

Rookersh posted:

Questions

Some of your questions are answered on the store page, like Generations. That basically adds meat to every life stage, so kids play in tree houses, teenagers pull pranks, adults suffer midlife crises, etc. It just adds a lot of colour to the game - my guy suffered a midlife crisis and I promised him a sports car worth $10,000. As the end of the crisis approached, I realised I was still about $4,000 short, so I sold his house and moved him into a shack with a toilet, shower and sleeping bag. They sound like minor additions but they can really shake up the game.

Ambitions adds both a drop down tab to regular jobs (work really hard, chat with co-workers, slack off) and introduces professions. For example, firefighting has you sit in the fire station until an emergency comes up. Then you'll manually go to some random Sim house and put out fires, break down doors and rescue trapped Sims. This is not automated, you'll have to run around the property doing all these things. Also while you're in there you can steal stuff for no reason. rear end in a top hat firefighter Sim!

Late Night just gives a little more pop and personality to going out. Of a random night a certain place might be designated a hotspot, Sims will tend to congregate there and you'll get more enjoyment out of it. You'll get new clubs and bars complete with bouncers, so you can bribe your way in or just barge past and buy them a drink later. Plus creating your own band up to 4 members, with hiring and firing. The celebrity system comes from this too, which I personally don't bother with and can't comment on.

World Adventures will send you to a completely different place, based on either Egypt, France or China. The quests mean you'll go there and look for an adventure, and when you get one you'll go to a particular building and then manually work your way through locked doors, basic block moving puzzles and search for treasure. Like professions in Ambitions, it's mostly adding content to something that previously was very basic.

Ambitions will definitely work for you if you do a profession, since it means that sleeping is the only true downtime for single Sims. Late Night might make you want to go out more, but basically every expansion has added content that'll push you out of the house. The fact the world is now seamless so you don't have to go through a loading break every time you want to go out helps too. Sims 3 also seems to allow more time for socialising, what with days off, calling in fake sick, and things like Seasons adding special days where everyone is encouraged to go out and enjoy the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm having some stuttering issues with the game actually. The sims will freeze (the people, not the game, as the mood diamonds still spin when this happens) for a few seconds every 30 or so seconds, this has pretty much ruined the game.

This started happening when I made a large, well furnished house. I even moved out the sims to a smaller house and now the problem persists. The game will turn into a very expensive steam-paperweight if I can't get this fixed.

I've turned down the draw distance and such but no such luck, i'm guessing this is a game optimisation/rendering issue that probably can't be turned off in the options?

• Locked thread