Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, just doublechecking here.

Ambitions adds more control to what I do at work? Or does it just add new jobs. I'm just curious what adding to work actually does.

Late Night adds more control to nightlife, correct? Like I can hang around clubs and whatnot?

What exactly does Generations add? I thought it added having kids, but it seems that's already in, just more control over what kids can do?

What are the "quests" mentioned in World Adventures? I'm not big on the whole explore the world stuff, but if it adds a quest system that applies to the base game too, I might pick it up.

Sorry for all the questions, the last Sims game I played was Sims 2, and I always hated the long waits of nothing while my main Sim was at work, and not having anything to do but be super antisocial when he got back ( Use the computer! Read! Watch TV! Invite people to a party! THERE IS NO OUTSIDE WORLD. ). Wondering just how much Ambitions/Late Night actually add, and if they'd fix those issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The issue with island paradise is that most of the content can only be done on the neighbourhood that comes with the expansion (technically someone could implement it into a custom map but I don't think anyone has). It's a nice looking map but it's really spread out and relies on the boats to get around, so there are a bunch of pathing issues that can really slow it down. There's also a very annoying issue with underwater caves where sims using them will reset unless you edit the diving lot and pick the cave up and put it down again (which requires like four different cheats).

Into the future meanwhile is just a sub-neighbourhood, so it will work with anything.

Is Island Paradise the only expansion that requires you to play on their specific map? Getting ready to finish buying the Sim 3 expansions and start a game, was hoping everything would work on a single neighborhood.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes and no; most of the other expansions that come with their own maps tend to be best suited to the content of that particular expansion, but it's easy enough to toss in a few late night venues (for example) into whatever town you want to use just using the in-game town editor. The EA towns are usually updated for each expansion to automatically include important expansion lots like the ones from ambitions or seasons.

The issue with Island Paradise is that you CAN'T easily add that content to a pre-existing town because they just weren't designed with ocean travel in mind. Resorts are simple enough to make, but hidden islands require buydebug fuckery and diving lots are just plain impossible to create in-game because basically none of the water in the towns is deep enough to fit them.

Ultimately if you want a good poly-expansion town without doing a bit of editing yourself, you'll probably have to look at custom ones. Legacy Island 2 is quite good and is up to date to Supernatural (and someone has posted a Seasons festival lot you can use to replace the default park to bring it up to that expansion).

So the EA maps work, just not well?

I mean, for example could I have a single sim marry, buy a pet ( pets ), switch over to his eventual kid ( generations ), go to college ( university ), while also going clubbing ( late night ), who eventually grows up to be a firefighter ( ambitions ), while their parents go dick around going on adventures ( world adventures ). All while it snows at the right times every year. Or would I have to specifically make a sim on the Late Night neighborhood if I want to do Late Night activities, but it won't snow in that world, only the Seasons neighborhood, and if I want a pet I have to make a person in the Pets neighborhood.

I don't mind if I won't get all the features of a specific expansion pack ( obviously the starting town probably doesn't have horse riding areas/tombs/raves right next door ), but do they at least simulate cohesion somewhat well for someone like me, who plans to just putz my way through?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Well cool. Got no real interest in Supernatural or Island Paradise, so don't have to do any extra work. I honestly just wanted some pubs/clubs/occasional concerts happening in the city I was in to add additional social activities for my Sim to be forced into ( plus weather, pets, more indepth jobs/growing up ). Sounds like it'd be best to just start in the Late Night city and add in a venue or two.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if anybody knows the answer to this, but this seems to be the thread to ask.

Been playing Sims Medieval recently, since I figured out how to unlock Endless Mode right off the bat. I've spent almost all day building up my town/Hero Sims and ignoring the overall worldmap, as I figured it'd be easier to handle that stuff AFTER I had a whole bunch of decent leveled Heroes. ( hahaha, apparently not since two of them make building/questing a hell of a lot easier, oh well ).

I've currently got a Barracks, Clinic, Wizards Tower, Smithy, Market, and just bought my Tavern. Only really need a Spy Quarters/Peteran Church left and I'll have all the Hero buildings. So I decided during my last quest to go get the Island State Maps. Got them, explored them, and then since I platniumed my Quest, used my leftover RP to ally with both of them.

And in the process learned the only way to ally with the Elves is to marry them. Which is a bit of a problem as my Monarch is already married through the "You need an Heir" quest.

I have the "Kill the Monarch" quest through low Well Being, if I actually off my Monarch, do I get to just go design a new one ( or do I just get to be a child king for a little while through the heir )? Or does it end the game?

• Locked thread