Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Edward_Lapine posted:

So, I've played Sims 1 on and off when it first came out and enjoyed it, skipped 2, and bought this from the Steam sale. :aaaaa: There's a lot to do in this one compared to the first!

It's still something entertaining to play rather than shooting game 2012 again.

I found a sim in the game named "Gobias Koffi" (Arrested Development, when Gob and Tobias propose a coffee shop business) and thought it was the coolest reference ever. :3:

Fake edit: I noticed the "Never Nude" trait too! Pretty cool stuff.

Boy, you missed out, Sims 2 is arguably better than Sims 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

That's kind of a big question, but yes there's a ton of good Sims 2 mods for all kinds of different purposes on modthesims.info and some various annoyance fixes and tweaks by the same guy that made AwesomeMod for Sims 3. Most of them are a matter of personal preference though, and less "must-have" mods, but that's due to Sims 2 generally being less broken than Sims 3.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

With these new expansions installed on top of everything else, every single full moon, five zombies in llama mascot costumes will burst into your houseboat to do a school cheer, ask for your autograph, and then attack you.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

UberAaron posted:

You say it like that's a bad thing.

This stuff sounds funny on paper, but my biggest peeve with with The Sims 3 is how every other expansion seems to cram some feature down your throat that was designed by a chimpanzee. A vindictive incompetent rear end in a top hat chimpanzee who wants to make the game as unplayable, broken, and annoying as possible so that he can sell more expansions on the broken hopes and dreams that the next one will fix things instead of adding more problems. The amount of garbage and unfixed game-breaking bugs I have to mod out just to play The Sims 3 makes the stray pets in Sims 2 Pets that come around every day to dig up your yard look like a brilliantly designed wonderful feature.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

As someone who loved TS2 and hated TS3, I can't decide if I should be excited because TS3 is finally over, or indifferent because it's still EA so they'll just gently caress it up again.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

I wanted so much a playable Sims game so I went and bought a complete collection of Sims 2. Including all the expansions and stuff packs. After a bit of wonkiness because the videocard.sgr file doesn't detect my video card properly, I finally got it running.

The game runs beautifully, however playing with the old CAS interface sucks. I can't make my Sims supernatural from the get go, making someone fat just gives them a ridiculous potbelly, every sim I create is butt ugly and I had forgotten how small the neighborhoods are. On the flip side, I can crank AA really high and the game still runs at 60fps.

Its interesting to see how much of Sims 3 is just a natural evolution of features that were already in Sims 2.

I'm wondering how much they'll screw up Sims 4.

I find Sims in 3 to be the ugly ones. Sims 2 had a great, charming, cartoony style. Sims 3 has fat-faced uncanny valley horrors. For what it's worth, there's mods for 2 that allow you to turn your Sims into the various supernatural life stages, albeit by a hacked object, not directly in CAS.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

How many basic features can EA cut from each iteration before people will stop insisting it's fine and buying it anyway? I guess Sims 5 will ship without two-story houses, jobs, and doors, but hey, I can still watch my sim watch TV so I got my money's worth and the entitled haters can suck it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Persistent time flow across different households is great if you're a casual console peasant who only plays one family per neighborhood, but pro PC gamers like myself don't appreciate people growing old and dying while I'm not playing them, so for us it's Sims 2 or nothing,

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty sure a pro (any platform) gamer wouldn't be found anywhere near The Sims.

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of micromanaging 8 person households to perfect university performance, maximum job level and lifetime platinum aspiration without using the elixir of life. :smug:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Dude I take it back, that's sick! You should make a youtube compilation video of that set to dubstep. Maybe you could work in a 360 no-scope or Giant Dad somehow too?

Look at this scrub. Probably hasn't even done a legacy challenge.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The justification is they are an extremely lazy company who puts out half-baked products and charges out the rear end to fix them.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Here's a wild thought: if the most optimistic consensus on a game is "it's okay", it's not worth spending money on.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I remember the Sim City release, there were tons of people insisting everything was fine. Overall you should never buy a game on release, especially not on preorder. It's infinitely more wise to wait a few months and see who's disappeared: the skeptics or the fans.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Torrannor posted:

It took me a little to realize that they are not posting about TS4, but that it's a thread from 2009 for complaints about the newly released TS3, and why TS2 was supposedly so much better!

The Sims 2 was a whole lot better and still is.

I think I'm done with 4, it's such a featureless stripped down sterile wasteland, I guess now all I can do is wait and see if the expansions turn it into an unplayable mess like 3, or a solid game like 2. Considering everyone bought everything for 3 anyway and made EA a million billion dollars, I'm not too optimistic.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Trilin posted:

I actually really want to get into the Sims 2 but I just can't. Like, if I want to play a single family for multiple generations how exactly do I ensure that the rest of the neighborhood remains populated? I know they don't grow any older which is kinda weird but I just need fresh blood to hook up my sims with. Do I just create more families?

The game automatically generates townies, and will generate more to make up for any that you kill off or have move in with you. In addition there will be townies for any expansion neighborhoods (downtown, vacation destinations, university) and all the premade sims in the premade neighborhoods. One of the expansions does add a prompt to age up a handful of townie friends and acquaintances or your playable sim when that sim ages up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think it feels extremely limited. More so than any sims base game so far. It's not even that it's missing expansion features that should be considered basic at this point, it's missing so many features that were in previous base games, and the choice of engine makes it anyone's guess how many of them will ever be re-implemented. Plus, given EAs increasingly lovely business practice, how much we will be charged to turn this skeleton of a game into a true replacement for previous entries to the series.

Multi-tasking is really nice, the new CAS is nice but not a game changer, but I'm actually a bit disappointed in the feelings system. It feels stilted, non-sequitur, and half-assed. Moodlets were far from perfect, but emotions feel like a dumbed down version of moodlets.

• Locked thread