Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Invading the USA is like an endgame boss for Germany, even from a gameplay standpoint it should be very difficult because only a Super Germany would be a position to even attempt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

You repeat yourself

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I'd totally be down for alt/divergent history events for a German (or Soviet, or British, etc.) Invasion of the USA. When everything has to hew to the historical reality in HoI it just gets... boring. There's only so many ways to make a WW2 script fun.

Like, I would be absurdly happy if Paradox occasionly released DLCs that were just an alt history start date - "WW1 Hasn't Happened Yet"; "Weimar Germany defending against Trotskyist USSR"; "Sunset Invasion in WW2", etc.

Not that makes Wehraboos any less wrong, but still, fun>historic realism.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wehraboo posted:

You know the Axis could bombard the landing sites for weeks with V rockets, bomber planes, battleship coastal barrages, all the while jet powered strategic bombers nail all the mid-western industry.
When it's time to land drop a few nukes behind the landing sites to soften up the rearguard reinforcements or whatever.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I'd totally be down for alt/divergent history events for a German (or Soviet, or British, etc.) Invasion of the USA. When everything has to hew to the historical reality in HoI it just gets... boring. There's only so many ways to make a WW2 script fun.

Like, I would be absurdly happy if Paradox occasionly released DLCs that were just an alt history start date - "WW1 Hasn't Happened Yet"; "Weimar Germany defending against Trotskyist USSR"; "Sunset Invasion in WW2", etc.

Not that makes Wehraboos any less wrong, but still, fun>historic realism.

It should still err somewhat on the side of realism taking logistics, shipping capacity and supply lines into account. Sending an invasion force of 100,000 all the way across the Atlantic from Europe should be impossible.

But if you had some friendly country in North or Central America or the Carribean where your force could gather, then you should be able to at least try it, insane though it might be.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 23, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Just send over a fusillade of nuclear-tipped missiles and call it a day.

Have they said anything about nuclear weapons in HOI4 yet?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Are they keeping national unity from HoI 3? I never played much HoI 3 but understood that it affected when a country would surrender. Did nukes have an effect on that? Because really being nuked should be a massive hint that you should consider surrendering.

I also hope we get some interesting peace negotiation/dictation mechanics, especially so we can have situtations like the occupation of northern France and the Atlantic coast and Vichy France arising dynamically rather than just being an event specifically for Germany defeating France.

e: Also would like there to be some events or something for negotiations on the post-war landscape of Europe between the Allies and the Soviet Union. Where the countries have to come to an agreement, at least between the strongest members, to keep the alliance going.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Randarkman posted:

Are they keeping national unity from HoI 3?

Yes.

Dev Diary 20 posted:

The Soviet Union starts with the risk of Trotskyite plot, giving -20% National Unity

Gort fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 23, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So if that works the same way as in HoI 3 then it essentially pushes the Soviets towards carrying out the Great Purge or they run a real risk of being defeated by Germany.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can't you force a US surrender with a few nukes?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Strudel Man posted:

There was a joke screenshot with Copenhagen getting nuked by the swedes...

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

Invading the USA is like an endgame boss for Germany, even from a gameplay standpoint it should be very difficult because only a Super Germany would be a position to even attempt it.

The saddest thing about DH's USA is that the AI will never defend it properly so you basically land a load of troops in and spread across the USA without a major fight. It is a deep shame too as with a Mega-Germany, it'd be fun to have something that would take serious military work. In my game, the USSR, despite having two years of extra time to build up; crumbled in 1 1/2 years. The UK put up an OK fight but basically died to paratroopers and sacrificing the surface portion of the Kriegsmarine to land troops.

Maybe I am expecting too much from HOI2's AI but I just want a chance for a juicy long fight. Hell I am even tempted to play the Soviets and see if I can fix Europe by 1963.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a feeling the AI will be fairly lackluster like it feels in every Paradox title so far. There will be Soldier Spammer and Passive Guy and probably AI That Spams Diplomacy Things

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I know they said Divergences of Darkness, but I didn't think they meant the Red Menace kind. I think this is the most Communist nations in varied areas of the world I've come across so far in Vicky 2 without exporting the revolution myself.

Vinland formed Arcadia (CSRA) (wannabe USA) but was communist, along with the Seven Republics already being so - ill-fated Burgundy went Communist, Russia has been communist for like 30~ years at this point, and Italy's recent loss in the incredibly one sided European Great War over Prussia has sent them careening down Marx Avenue too.

Victoria 2 mods really are the most ridiculous.

Obligatory World Map

Honourable mention goes to New Zealand, an Anglois dominion that is being further swarmed with immigrants for .. wasting my colonial points by competing with me in pacific colonies :psyduck:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Digging the winged elephant that's Mexico.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there seriously a unique flag and name for the French and English monarchies combining

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there seriously a unique flag and name for the French and English monarchies combining

Nah, it's an alt-history mod where England won the Hundred Years' War.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

I doubt it. I'm certain there's no special tag (or flag) for a Vinland created USA. Or a Vinland for that matter.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SkySteak posted:

Maybe I am expecting too much from HOI2's AI but I just want a chance for a juicy long fight. Hell I am even tempted to play the Soviets and see if I can fix Europe by 1963.
HoI2 (and DH and company) are one of the last Paradox games with AI written in a text file you can crack open. All AI is given specific values for how many troops to lay down in what areas and the like, and while the AI's priorities can change, it can only be done by having the country switch between AI files via in-game event once specific triggers are met. The event trigger to force the USA to switch to "national defense" AI in vanilla HoI2 has a trigger like so:
code:
	trigger = {
		ai = yes
		NOT = { local_flag = USADefense }
		OR = {
			war = { country = USA country = CAN }
			war = { country = USA country = MEX }
			AND = {
				lost_national = { country = CAN value = 2 }
				NOT = { war = { country = USA country = CAN } }
			}
			AND = {
				lost_national = { country = MEX value = 2 }
				NOT = { war = { country = USA country = MEX } }
			}
			AND = {
				lost_national = { country = USA value = 2 }
				atwar = USA
			}
		}
	}
That basically means that the US switches to a defensive AI if Canada or Mexico is at war and is actively losing land (and therefore is likely to be a staging ground for a land invasion into the US), or if the US is at war and has lost core provinces of its own. The problem with that last bit is that it means that America only switches to a defensive AI after it's already lost provinces to a landing force. By then, it's probably too late to switch gears.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I want to do an Austria-Hungary game of Vicky 2...but I've completely forgotten how to play.

Edit- ok please help me out. I want to do a relatively peaceful Austria-Hungary run. I'm not going to fight with Prussia over forming Germany, and instead focus on building up Austria as much as possible, expand a bit east to give me some ports on the Black Sea, maybe sphere some minor uncivilizeds in Africa and Asia? Basically trying to be Germany-lite.

I remember some of the rules/some ideas on how to do this

-national focus all the regions to 2% clergy
-I basically un-sphere'd all the German areas I had and allied Prussia
-I'm sticking mostly to cultural and industrial techs to start
-Austria starts with like 16% literacy. I seem to remember you shouldn't really focus on industrialization until that's higher. But is it like 30% as the starting point, or is it higher?
-I switched over to a Liberal party for my government. IIRC the most important thing to check is their economic policy. Money isn't an issue so far so I'd almost prefer a state capitalism party...but right now I'm just interventionalist. Liberals are also more willing to enact political reforms, right?

What should I do with my NFs after I get the clergy in place? I've been supporting the liberal party, but only because I don't really know what to do.

Is there a way to annex states you have under your sphere of influence? Krakow is sitting right next to me and I feel like I should just take it, but I don't seem to have an option to. Should I un-sphere it and declare war?

IS there any way to make cultural pops more accepted? The Austria-Hungary decision I know makes Hungary an accepted culture...but is there a way to make Czechs or Northern Italians accepted?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 24, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HOI chat and the Mil History thread have reminded me of something: Darkrenown just because mechanised units have increased armour protection for infantry doesn't mean they stop being infantry for combined arms purposes (HOI3 bugbear). In fact they are the optimal choice for combined arms purposes. Please make sure this is true for HOI4.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
HoI4 doesn't use the same system anyway, but in HoI3 TFH I am fairly sure Mech is in the infantry group and does make a fine combined arms unit. Pre-TFH they should still have been valid, but maybe their lower softness made it hard to combine with heavier armour and still stay in the bonus range? I don't really remember though.
E: TFH anyway:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 24, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah mech, armored, sp artillery, tank destroyers, and armored cars all put together make for the best combined arms-centric division in current HoI3. Good luck with that IC per unit of frontage though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

HoI4 doesn't use the same system anyway, but in HoI3 TFH I am fairly sure Mech is in the infantry group and does make a fine combined arms unit. Pre-TFH they should still have been valid, but maybe their lower softness made it hard to combine with heavier armour and still stay in the bonus range? I don't really remember though.

:barf:

I really hope HOI4 has done something about the terrible stat spreadsheets that assault your eyes when you want to build new units.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I really hope HOI4 has done something about the terrible stat spreadsheets that assault your eyes when you want to build new units.

Remember you can only actually have a certain number of division templates and have to spend a resource to change/get more, so presumably the division designer is something you'll be looking at only occasionally.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

vyelkin posted:

casual :frogout:

It's better I think, but there's still quite a few stats. check the pic here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-dev-diary-6-division-design.783017/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 24, 2015

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's a fun Brazil-like country in Victoria 2?

With at least 1-2 of the below:

Secondary or lower, but not unciv
possibly non-European
Fair size, 3-4 states at start
Some obvious expansion directions (best would be core recovery, or a bigger formable nation)
NNM is an acceptable mod

Basically I want something like an ex-colony or civilized that I can build up to be a Major and industrialized powerhouse; I do that with Brazil all the time so need a change of scenery.

Mexico? One of the Northwest african countries? Egypt?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 24, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-dev-diary-6-division-design.783017/

If HoI wasn't for casuals it would have tactics as well as strategy :smugbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

quote:

If you can build a type of Division, you have access to a basic/historical Division Template, and you can customise it using Land Combat Experience.

Does this mean that different nations have different default templates they have to spend xp to diverge from?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

canepazzo posted:

possibly non-European
Some obvious expansion directions (best would be core recovery, or a bigger formable nation)
NNM is an acceptable mod

Basically I want something like an ex-colony or civilized that I can build up to be a Major and industrialized powerhouse; I do that with Brazil all the time so need a change of scenery.

Argentina is pretty fantastic, like a slightly more challenging Brazil. With NNM you can make forming La Plata as a goal and you get a sweet flag out of it.

Your major rivals on the continent for most of the game will be Chile and Brazil. Buddy up with Brazil from the beginning and hug them real tight, then pound Chile into the dust while you also work on the various -guays and Bolivia.

Colombia is also fun and more challenging, since forming Gran Colombia requires you to beat up / sphere Venezuela and Ecuador. Your natural resources are kinda bland though (which unfortunately goes for all of South America).

I really like playing South American countries in V2.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

canepazzo posted:

possibly non-European
NNM is an acceptable mod

Greece hits 3 of your marks (civilised, 3 states at start, obvious expansion direction/can form B Y Z A N T I N Y). Persia and Japan are good unciv choices too if you want a heavy-hitter unciv.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Persia is real good but once you get stuck in Russia's sphere, it's really hard to get out.. at least I thought so in my last game :smith:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Does this mean that different nations have different default templates they have to spend xp to diverge from?

Yup.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

What the gently caress does teddy bear percentage mean?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Softness.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

DStecks posted:

What the gently caress does teddy bear percentage mean?

Percentage of the unit that can be bears.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

canepazzo posted:

possibly non-European
NNM is an acceptable mod

Egypt and Persia are both uncivs but get stuff to help them to civilize and Persia especially is super fun since you're jammed between Russia and GB who will constantly try to gently caress you but if you play it right you can eat huge chunks of India and also go beat the poo poo out of the Ottomans.

Possibly not quite what you're looking for though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Angry Salami posted:

Jan Mayen gets bonuses

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

possibly non-European
NNM is an acceptable mod

Switzerland can be interesting. Very small, but starts with pretty high literacy so in a good position to industrialize quickly. You also have a lot of expansion opportunities by picking off all the fragmented german/italian states before they unify.

Persia is a fun unciv that can modernize fairly quickly as well (they start at 50% already and get a bunch of bonuses to education rate) and is surrounded by a bunch of weak uncivs that are ripe for conquest, although with Russia to your near north you want to be careful that you don't go too nuts since they will absolutely wreck you if you give them a reason.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

canepazzo posted:

possibly non-European
NNM is an acceptable mod

If you're okay with a unciv, I highly recommend a Japan game. Westernize and steamroll China; it's loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Angry Salami posted:

That is loving bananas what the hell history is stranger than fiction.

• Locked thread