Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gorgo's probably not going to update it (he barely plays Paradox games anymore), so someone will likely have to step up and make a new OP if you want a new thread. Can probably leave EU3 and such out of this time around.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wiz posted:

Gorgo's probably not going to update it (he barely plays Paradox games anymore), so someone will likely have to step up and make a new OP if you want a new thread. Can probably leave EU3 and such out of this time around.

I am not ready for that kind of responsibility.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
He did say this about a month ago.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Don't worry, I plan to retire this thread and put out a nice clean new one with a fully updated OP sometime in the next few weeks.

So either he's dropped that plan or is still in the mode of getting it ready.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Should probably wait until Stellaris/HOI4 hit. The thread's lasted long enough, another six months to a year isn't going to hurt.

I'm going to have those games inside a year right :ohdear:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Should probably wait until Stellaris/HOI4 hit. The thread's lasted long enough, another six months to a year isn't going to hurt.

I'm going to have those games inside a year right :ohdear:

I'll be very surprised if HOI4 isn't here by this time next year.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

-The Influence/Sphere/War Goals/Peace Offer stuff should probably all be EUIV now, since I think that's about the clearest Paradox has made that section of the game

The War Goals and Peace stuff is actually one of the few generalised things which I think is nicer in V2 than EUIV. The tension and great war stuff is also good but of course more V2 period specific.

But yeah the influence system is more like the old EUIV Papacy system style busywork and is more irritating since it is core to so much of the gameplay.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It's no Steppe Wolf, but someone has made a workshop mod attempting again to extend the EU4 timeline from 1AD to the modern age.

Decided to boot up a game in the far future to to see what would happen (things stop changing at 2015 so for all intents and purposes starting in 2532 is the same as starting then):

:allears:

Thanks Stadtholder Obama. Took you long enough...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's no Steppe Wolf, but someone has made a workshop mod attempting again to extend the EU4 timeline from 1AD to the modern age.

Decided to boot up a game in the far future to to see what would happen (things stop changing at 2015 so for all intents and purposes starting in 2532 is the same as starting then):

:allears:

Thanks Stadtholder Obama. Took you long enough...

I'm actually playing the mod right now. The text is weird, but its part of a bunch of back-loading price change events for goods based on historical trends, which seems like a good idea to me. He seems to have forgotten to turn off the Religious League events after the 30 Years War, though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

I can't recommend it. The trade aspect is fine, it's Patrician/Port Royale but with land trade routes instead of ships. You can build new cities pretty much anywhere on the map, the location decides what resources you have access to for production. City growth is strictly tied to the number of businesses you have, which is a bit weird. As the city population grows, its influence area grows and your influence is what progresses you through the trader ranks instead of wealth/cargo space. Each rank increases your unit limit and gives you 3 points to spend in the tech tree. Tech is used to unlock new or improved production, infrastructure and units.
And that brings us to the horrible piece of poo poo that is the combat system in this game. Units automatically engage enemy units around them, however one units can only be engaged by a couple of units and all units are way too durable. If you engage 100 bandits with your main army of 2000 men it takes minutes at speed *10 (holding space down) to kill them because most of the army just stands around looking at the 2-3 units fighting. Besieging a city is a massive pain in the rear end, in theory your units should set up siege camps around the city and slowly reduce its "siege points" or whatever, but the city keeps spitting out units and every time they do, your units start moving around, breaking the siege and more often than not get stuck doing nothing at all. I literally spent over half an hour at speed *10 trying to take a single neutral city. Bandit camps are almost worse because if you don't engage them soon after they spawn, they grow and then they spawn units so quickly that you never even get to siege the camp.

TL,DR: The trading part is similar to the Patrician games but the land combat is lovely and frustrating and you can't really just build a peaceful trading empire.

To add to this the trading can gently caress up too, automated traders make really lovely choices and it seems kinda hard to make enough profit to maintain an army. They should probably decouple city growth from the amount of industry and make traders a bit smarter. Game could be really cool but does need a patch/expansion. That said I started 3 games over the weekend and in my last I did manage to own all of Italy and have a nice 6mil war chest, it wasn't enough to conquer Paris because of said dumb siege AI.

Maybe instead of Vicky 3 Paradox should make an EU4 expansion called Victoria, it adds the industry aspect to EU4 and extends the end date. Extending the end date and expanding the revolution mechanics could be really cool. The Industry part would expand on trade and give you more things to do during peace time and give you incentives to conquer certain areas for resources.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Civilization-style bonuses from just possessing resources instead of having to dominate trade over them would make me buy an expansion in an instant.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Civilization-style bonuses from just possessing resources instead of having to dominate trade over them would make me buy an expansion in an instant.

Ughh I can't even begin to tell you how unrealistic this is! *stomps around in baby diaper for an hour*

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Imagine if you'd actually need access to iron, be it via production or trade to build cannons. Now imagine a game that runs slower than Vicky2 with NNM.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kavak posted:

Didn't HOI3 have this (and I think HOI4 might too?) in the form of strategic resources? I remember Canada, for whatever reason my most-played nation in the HoI series, having Tungsten & Uranium which gave them bonuses to tanks and nuclear research or something like that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drone posted:

Didn't HOI3 have this (and I think HOI4 might too?) in the form of strategic resources? I remember Canada, for whatever reason my most-played nation in the HoI series, having Tungsten & Uranium which gave them bonuses to tanks and nuclear research or something like that.

Yeah, I liked that. I hope they're bringing it back.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'll get to work on a new OP (no need to wait 6 mos for Stellaris/HOI4 and I'll include them anyway)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

Canada rules in all HoIs because they're the USA but not in super easy baby mode.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mans posted:

Canada rules in all HoIs because they're the USA but not in super easy baby mode.

landing my Canadian corps in France and holding the Germans at bay for 6 months while the Americans hosed around in Spain was my crowning HoI3 achievement

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dreylad posted:

landing my Canadian corps in France and holding the Germans at bay for 6 months while the Americans hosed around in Spain was my crowning HoI3 achievement

In HOI2:DD my Canada liberated Greece while the rest of the Allies landed in France. The Germans were so undermanned down there that I was the one who beat the Russians to Berlin by advancing north. A big pink Canadian salient that ran along a north/south axis through Central Europe right between the Western Allies and the Russians.

I ended the war with like Greece, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Austria, and Czech all puppets of Canada. It was amazing.

Even when I play as the UK I always take direct control of the Canadian army and use them in a pretty significant role. In my last UK game in DH, the Canadians held the Pyrenees together with allied Republican Spain against the Germans while the British and Rest Of Commonwealth armies advanced up the Italian boot.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tahirovic posted:

Imagine if you'd actually need access to iron, be it via production or trade to build cannons. Now imagine a game that runs slower than Vicky2 with NNM.

:science: Many cannons were actually made of bronze, because (among other reasons) bronze is more flexible and thus less prone to bursting apart without warning. Cast iron cannons were popular not because they were superior but because they were much cheaper (both in initial price as well as in longevity; bronze cannons wore out faster).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Some of my favourite HOI games are where you just build up industry as Canada for like four or five years while researching cool technology and then ruin Germany with an all-mobile army and a carrier fleet. And Mackenzie King stares back at me from the politics screen the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New thread up!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744119

• Locked thread