Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Drone posted:

Thing that I love about CK2 that EU3 is lacking: when you're offering some kind of diplomacy to an AI character/nation, if they're going to refuse your request, hovering over the "No" or "Yes" reaction will tell you what factors are influencing the decision. Instead, in EU3 (and V2 for that matter), every time I want to make an alliance, you just get a really loving annoying "IMPOSSIBLE" with no explanation of why.

And the AI will sometimes cave even before you hit 100%. Sometimes its TOO forgiving but its less annoying than making me go through the motions after theyve basically been defeated already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Darkrenown and Gort can you knock this poo poo off or take it to PMs? It's really no better than a dime a dozen internet slap fight.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Story of every P-Dox game for me. Evantually you run into a point where the game doesn't present a challenge and you're just going through the motions. It requires either an iron will or a VERY interesting game.

Only game I've finished to the end screen (hell a few times at that) is victoria because the time period is much shorter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Playing EU3 and man I hope Paradox takes a few pointers from CK2 for warfare reasons. I thought I was ok with "No casus belli" wars but I forgot how goddamn frustrating that is. EU3 plus helps a lot with AI restraint and breaking up some of the bigger countries but he can only do so much in regards to cascading alliances and I seriously hope they work on that in EU4. I feel bad for save scumming but when mecha-Bohemia gets called in because they're a friend of a friend, I don't think it's really on me for loving that up.

Edit: On the topic of EU3 Plus. For the colonial power decision what provinces are the Northern/Southern exploration ports?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 16, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gorgo Primus posted:

EU3+ and possibly Miscmod are good choices; the latter is dependent on if it has been updated for the betas yet.

I don't believe it has.

D&T hasn't either, last I checked it's still on 5.1

MEIOU...isn't that still on HttT?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

For EU3 DW? Small ships matter in DW for sure; I never figured out the ratios but I know people who have and they only lost when the difference was in Admirals by a point of 1, its a little ridiculous because it means one side loses their entire navy and the other lost only 1 ship.

EU3 badly needs to have its tradition and naval system's severely rebalanced, I think back when for a single patch ships were massively expensive was probably the way to go.

They killed that because they couldn't rebalance the AI to account for it. England would go bankrupt and fall apart in just a few years solely from their (Rather large) starting navy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

When's EU4 due anyway? Also, I need another HOI that's good like 2 and not poo poo like 3. Get on it Paradox.

Q3 2013 So this is a great way to get people hyped up for it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The image is clearly a few months old because it still talks about AzeriMod and it not being compatible with 5.2

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hopefully having to focus your growth means it'll happen slower...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?

Papal States :catholic:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jakse posted:

I will admit for having a degree in history Medieval to Enlightenment era Balkan states aren't exactly my forte, but how what the hell is up with the fixation on Serbia? Especially to the point of it being a "true successor" to Rome?

Paradox Plaza has a lot of balkan nationalists.

I dont think anyone considers it the true successor that's just a joke that's grown as people keep exxagerating how much people are crazy for Serbja.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

R'lyeh the 37th R'ome.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

4) The player should be able to say "gently caress this faction poo poo we're changing government forms to something reasonable" like literally every other country on the planet is able to.

Papal States :colbert:

But yeah I don't think the faction system was bad necessarily, just the execution was horribly unforgivable. It cannot be overstated just how steeped in tradition China was, the beauracracy was so complex that meaningful change was all but impossible and historically their own internal problems is what prevented them from going on an unstoppable train wreck of conquest.

Not to say China shouldn't be able to change, they obviously did even if it was long after EU's time frame (but there were plenty of other times where it could have happened). but it should be damned harder than a lot of European countries, which is why factions should be fun and not a hindrance.

I know it won't happen but I would like to see religious conversion a bit more open. As it stands you can't swap out of your religious group without being conquered, and while understandable it does sort of undermine that peaceful conversion across religious types did happen (Korea may not have gone full Christian, but they did a pretty close job at it). Sometimes a ruler has a change of heart and converts to something new, and it can influence their people. I think it should be possible albeit conversion chance is incredibly low.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Riso posted:

Dear Paradox employees,
what's the studio stance on putting one of your games artwork, for example settlement models from Sengoku (demo) into a Crusader Kings 2 mod?

I know I'm not a paradox dev but pretty much every game company in history allows assets from the demos because they're easily accessible. If you use stuff only available in Sengoku though you'd probably need to make your mod require the actual game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Unique factions in every country gives me bad Magna Mundi vibes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well it's not factions exactly, I already said I approve of it for China. It's the fact that Magna Mundi tried to make every nation different, which while a noble goal was impossible to balance or even program.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's not an instant lose. They decided against that because it'd be unfun to be a minor power then whoop game over because Russia declared war on England or whatever. Anyone who played that old cold war forum game that popular here for a while probably knows what that feels like.

The limitation is that you have to be at DEFCON 1 to launch nukes. We're not entirely sure that that entails but likely a direct threat on the nation.

I imagine theres huge diplomacy hits too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

I wonder if they're going to compensate for extra ~200 years of researching technology other than just slapping every province tech level down to 0.

Yeah, do you guys at paradox have any ideas on that? I guess the easiest way is to just make progression slower so in the end game it comes out to the same but that also seems kinda boring. It's not as big a deal as say EU3, I even ignore tech most of the time and just let it happen and it works fine, but I'm just curious.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Er no it does in fact have its own history file. It's an official paradox thing, the mod just rolls back the start date so you can access it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I remember it being repeatedly claimed in this thread that CK2 could not get an earlier start date because the feudal system would not have been established before the High Middle Ages. Yet at a quick check the capitulary of Mersen - basically the Frankish kings commanding that everybody needs to pick a liege or gently caress off - is from 847, and while such changes are slow enough that twenty years later the adoption was probably not universal, playing CK2 in 867 doesn't sound ludicrous either (if only because I'd bet the capitulary was to a large degree a formalisation of the status quo). Thoughts?

I think people are willing to let it go for the sake of playing in a new time period. You already have to take CK2's system with a grain of salt in regards to Muslims and Pagans and we're willing to do it for the sake of gameplay.

Somehow I just dont really expect the same historical accuracy from crusader kings as I do other paradox titles. Even without getting over the top (aztecs) the whole thing is just sort of goofy and sandboxy rather than any attempt at logical historical emulation.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

How long till EvW has a Byzantium mod?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah if Russia can't "win" it sort of makes the whole exercise pointless. Even Hearts of Iron which is more on rails than most paradox games allows you to correct mistakes made, such as making Nazi Germany stop before it overreaches like it did in real life. In Paradox games we accept that not everyone is on equal ground, that's not really the point, but its not much of a game if one of two major powers is doomed to fail every time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm curious to anybody who's more knowledgeable about it. Admittedly to me it's just hard to imagine since the US "won" in real life but how realistic is the US collapsing, in all seriousness? The US was hardly in lockstep but the idea of parts seceding in the 60s and 70s or collapsing and reforming into Communist (the "winning" ideology in this hypothetical situation) just seems really crazy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah miscmods is perfectly accessible if you understand the jist of vanilla.

Edit: also westernization is a vanilla mechanic, miscmods changes some of the requirements but its largely the same thing.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 7, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

England really needs events or something to help it model the real life decline of the empire. The problem is theres just no factors to model this at all so generally England will just carry the game away unless the player games it. I hope an evantual Victoria III can do this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Behold Deformed Napoleon and his amazing Sausage Horse.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Not sure why you think a little "whelp, pack it up guys" joke implies I am flipping out, I answered one silly comment with another. The only thing that slightly bugged me was his claiming I misquoted him.

"Pack it up guys" usually implies an air of "oh Mister high and mighty thinks his opinion is fact so guess we should just admit it's poo poo".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

I went to FB so you don't have to!

You kinda need the quote to give context

"In 1850 things were looking good for the Ottoman Empire, a successful war had just been concluded, re-taking large areas recently lost to the Egyptian rebellion, and greatly raising the prestige of the nation which was now reckoned to be the 5th Greatest Power in all the world. The Empire hoped to enter a period of stability and development, but this was not to be. Unruly Greek subjects in the Ottoman state of Thesslia, supported by the neighbouring Greek nation, had used the distraction of the latest war to stage several large demonstrations against Ottoman rule. While normally no more than a minor concern, this time Greece had been able to attract international interest in the Thesslian uprising, and Great Britain had expressed sympathy towards the Greek's position that Thesslia should be governed by them. The stage was set for an international crisis."

So it sounds like they'll be adding cultural uprisings with other great powers showing interest.

Ideally this means a lot of English colonies will now revolt which could help cut down England's power.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah it's possible to be "human" and not get indignant over every little joke.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JGBeagle posted:

Isn't Blizzard the company that says "There's nothing wrong with our games, they're working as intended?" or am I thinking of some other sleazy company?

I'm sure there are many who act that way.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don't think they have said for certain they would not change. They just haven't talked about it yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gorgo Primus posted:

Nope. I did a find and replace, just like Ubik did on his website. Why should I put more effort into his game than he is?

Bravo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A lot of people were sort of shocked and horrified that kidnapping and raping women looks like it'll make it into The Old Gods and it's similar in that it's A Thing That Happened that probably shouldn't actually be modeled in a video game.

Horrifying things happened in history and I don't think it really does much to honor the memory of those who were victims of genocide to meticulously detail that stuff. Glossing over it may not be the best but for a video game it's probably just the better route.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it, but in general CK2 deprives women of agency even more than the Middle Ages did in real life. They're almost completely reduced to bargaining chips / breeders with no opinion about anything unless they're holding land. I mean, you can - and often do - marry your 16-year-old daughter to a disgusting, fat, drunken and cruel 60-year-old man for political gain, and apparently CK2 women don't mind this at all. It should at least make her hate your guts (and her husband's), maybe add an event where she protests and you lose the "Kind" trait if you go ahead anyway.

IS there evidence of this? I'm asking sincerely cause I'm curious. I had always been taught that marriage was seen as a bargaining chip and love didn't factor into it. Not that love didn't exist, people were making songs about love since forever, in all cultures, but it was seen as forsaking your duty first and foremost to your country. I'm sure the occasional person got offended at the notion, but was it actually common?

But I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this. Are there any historical documents that talk about this cause I'd genuinely be interested in reading about them.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't think it's meaningful to disregard the conversation, though. This is something we should be talking about, because both cases are true. We realize that this is artificial, but the human mind is more than capable of empathizing with any old thing. The only reason we don't recognize that these are Bad Things is that the interactive medium through which we act is not providing enough distance to make us realize what's going on. The onus is on the artist and designer to control the audience's psychological distance from events, and in the case of games like this the events are, in fact, player controlled. It's about allowing action but still showing consequence. We're living in the model and not necessarily thinking about the correlations to actual events they represent. On some level that's fine, but on another it's something that merits mentioning at the very least.

More what I was getting at is when Paradox puts in Bad Thing many people immediatly will jump to the conclusion that Bad Thing is being endorsed. This is common in a lot of media for public consumption. If you put in controversial subjects you risk people mistaking that as endorsement. Sometimes there's a time for controversy and conveying a message and I don't think Paradox games are it.

You already mentioned DEFCON as an example of a game that handles that whole "wow youre a hosed up person" concept really well, because it set out to deliver that message to you so it's the focus. Paradox games are first and foremost supposed to be fun, and while I myself am actively involved in social justice issues on a daily basis as a part of the work I'm doing right now, when I sit down with a Paradox game I don't really need to be saddled with a lot of guilt about virtual people. There's just a time and a place for that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SpaceViking posted:

Consciousness (as I understand it) increases the chance that people will join movements and press for reforms. The idea being that they're aware that they don't have it as good as they should, and get active in politics to fix that.

That's correct. High consciousness means that people will attempt to vote for reforms that they want, if they can't do that, they will resort to more violent means. So high consciousness can be good in a republic, and is usually bad in a monarchy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well we should all remember that HoD will allow us to mod the newspapers that are published. I think that it would be a great addition to mod certain newspapers to be heavily against the atrocities committed by colonial forces while others whitewash them. Newspapers in general offer a lot of opportunity for adding flavor and "story lines" to our games and I couldn't be more excited to have them!

I realize it won't do this in vanilla but it'd be really cool if some enterpresing modder could make the "Press Rights" decision reflect what appears in the newspaper and how critical of the government it is. But that would require a shitload of work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wouldn't mind it if getting one of the later ideas or the final idea brought you back to normal heir chance levels. It would be extremely annoying to deal with that reduced heir chance throughout the entire game.

It specifically says it's an AI thing. Players aren't affected.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Doesn't Korea already have an easier time civilizing? I swear I remember it being considered one of the more viable uncivs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Spread the will of the proletariat to the rest of the world, by the sword if necessary :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just give northern Maine to New England from the start it's driving me crazy.

• Locked thread