Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Hello friend Wiz. In EU3+ 1.02 Franconia has elector=yes in its history file two times, making it display as having two elector votes at the start of the game. I'm not sure if it actually has two votes in practice but its a really easy thing to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Am I right to say in EU3 (and EU3+), there is no point in constructing trade buildings if you don't send your merchants out?

In addition to what the other guy said you get tax income based on your provinces trade value and your trade efficiency (tolls).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Rhodes has Knights Hospitaller cores in the azeri start date which is kinda weird. Also Austria having core on Lienz when it isn't actually Austria proper adjacent is sort of silly. Maybe give them cores on Karnten also/instead.

e: Also Castille having cores on Caceres (Order of Santiago) means that the poor monks their get slaughtered.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 4, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Eu3+ La Mancha Cadiz and Badajoz have Castillian cores in the Najjars Scenario, and the Baleares is an Aragonese core. Not sure if Sweden is supposed to have cores on all of Finland but they do.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Jabarto posted:

I just noticed that EU3+ doesn't let you play any non-bookmarked dates, is there a reason for this?

The history in regular eu3 is actual real life history where as the history in eu3+ is not. So theres not a thing to base the map off of, and it would be a whole heck of a lot of work to fix the history files to fit a bunch of other dates probably.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Friend Wiz, playing eu3+ and Nicea formed Byzantium. This made all of Greece and Anatolia become Byzatine cores but also become Nicean cores which is not whats supposed to happen I think.

edit: Actually it gave Nicea cores on every Greek culture province and Byzantium cores on everything Byzantium is supposed to have cores on.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Another eu3+ thing, Cathedrals require government tech 29 but city hall requires government tech 24 and a cathedral.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Poland is kind of ridiculous in EU3+ Azeri scenario. They make it impossible to play as anyone in europe who isnt a major power at the start, because without a player actively trying to gently caress them over from the start they will destroy the entire world all at once.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Viscardus posted:

I think you may be basing your conclusions off of too small a sample size. I have seen plenty of games where Poland doesn't do particularly well despite my not doing anything to stunt their growth.

I've played a whole bunch of games and every one has had a really big Poland. My most recent one was notable for them occupying the entirity of Italy for 15 years while also at war with HRE Austria and Russia, to the point that Mantua now controls all of Lombardia.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nolanar posted:

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

There is a ck2 murderbutton! You can assasinate heir with a spy, but its incredibly inaccurate and expensive!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm playing EU3+ 1.04 as the Ming Dynasty in China. One thing I can't quite figure out is the conditions for getting the Colonial Aspiration decision. What are the "Northern" or "Southern" Expeditionary Ports (if I recall the name correctly)?

They are in Europe. France/England and Iberia/North Africa respectively.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Friend Wiz, I'm really bad at looking over files to see the affects of events so I would like to ask you, what determines if you get cores when annexing a vassal?

Also maybe bugs: Italy starts without Lombard or anything as accepted culture which might be on purpose, Liege doesn't have a core on Liege but does on Namur, and the A New Elector event calls archbishops monarchs!

clarity edit: im talking about eu3+

jsoh fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 10, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz posted:

Culture group or accepted culture, and will fix bugs.

I thought it was that also but I diploannexed my vassal Anhalt as Thuringia and didn't get a core, both of us were Saxon culture.

Also I've had the same national ideas since like 1410 and still have not gotten the Traditional ideas modifier back in 1547.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz posted:

It's based on culture of their provinces, not their primary culture.

Did you switch multiple ideas? It's 100 years per switch.

I switched one Idea and the traditional ideas modifier was removed before I switched any idea. Anhalt only had one province and it was Saxon, same as my primary.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz, I think Toulouse should start with Occitain as an accepted culture considering 2/3 of their cores are that culture.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nolanar posted:

Does the AI in EU3 ever give up on missions? I'm playing as Castille, and I just got a "get good relations with Portugal" mission. Of course, Portugal has a mission to take a province from me, so they're not having any of it. Is there anything I can do here beyond "wait five more years for a new mission?" (My previous mission was also dumb and I skipped it.)

Ya, they do. Sometimes. I don't know why.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Wiz am I supposed to get spammed with CB messages about Imperial Liberation on tag AIO or is something not working right there?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Declaring on vassals already triggers a defensive call to arms for the liege's allies anyway. Its the same as attacking them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Because they're automatically set as war leader when they're called in.

Im not sure that that is true. I think it triggers the liege lords guarantees and sphere of influence based allies too, which doesn't happen when switching war leader otherwise.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Can anyone write/point me to a quick primer on how positioning fleet composition in EU3 works now?

Have more boats that the other guy and you win 99% of the time.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

telcontar posted:

If you're talking about the light ships (not galleys), they're cheaper, faster, and count as big ships for purposes of tariffs. Not as good in combat but that doesn't matter much if you already have the world's largest fleet.

Galleys are supposed to be better in shallow waters like coasts and the Mediterranean but that's either bugged or the naval combat calculations are wrong because they're straight up worse. Only good thing about them is the they're dirt cheap.

Galleys in seas are better than galleys out of seas but still not better than big ships, its not a bug. It might actually be more effective to use galleys in seas vs the same cost in big ships but it also might not, I haven't actually tested this.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Do you know of any other good alt-history ideas? I'm kind of intrigued by the genre (both in EU3, now that I've tried some modded scenarios, and in general) but it seems like most of them are basically "What if Hitler/Churchill/Stalin got hit by a bus/had never been born/autoerotically asphyxiated himself?". I'd like to see some that are actually well thought-out (and I'd loving love it if they didn't involve either of the World Wars in some way).

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Pac_Never_Got_Shot

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Thats not really untrue its just phrased in a funny way.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

In EU3 do you get ducats from blockading another country's rebel-controlled province?

Yes. If a thing pops up every month with a nice number, then you are getting that many ducats. From the blockade.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

LP97S posted:

Is Ricky any good or is the learning curve far too steep for $2.50?

Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun: Revolutions is the best video game ever made.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Its really cool to have a communist revolution happen in Victoria II and then it lets me reinstate slavery.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Van5 posted:

Gulags and such...

Forced labour for prisoners is not the same thing as chattel slavery which is generally what the slave pop represents I think, and even if im wrong about that there isn't any way to actually make any pops become slaves anyway so its entirely meaningless.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Ughhhhh. Better get on building that navy then. I assumed you only had to take their non-capital home provinces first, then their colonial possessions would just be released as independent if the homeland was to fall. Ah well!

You dont need a navy to take their colonial possessions if you occupy all of Holland in a war with either the release nation cb or a place in the sun cb it will give you enough warscore to force release their colonies or just straight up seize them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Raneman posted:

Can someone give me a step-by-step guide to annexing Belgium as the Dutch? Every time I try it, me and Prussia stomp Belgium fairly quickly and defeat some of the land invasions of UK foces, then just as we are occupying the last Belgian province the French intervene and pour 300,000 men over the border, wiping out the Dutch and Prussian armies, and destroying any chance at owning Belgium. Why are the French intervening, and how can I stop them?

Step one: send a national focus to increase tension in Wallonia. Step two get a crisis and kill the Belgians when everyone joins on your side because they hate the United Kingdom. Step 3 take their other poo poo once the peace treaty wears off.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nobody complains because its so extremely tiresome to have that guy show up and do his ridiculous multi page defense of his co-workers lovely design choice.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

So if I have Appointed upper house it is supposed to be comprised of all of the aristocrat and capitalist pops in my nation right? How come I can have a mostly reactionary set of those pops and they will refuse to advance reforms even if the pops themselves support the specific reforms. Like its a really cool idea to have the pops directly be represented in government but they should be represented as valuing the things they actually value instead of being stuck into one set of based on ideology. Also why is it so loving hard to get my aristocrats and capitalists to not be loving reactionary as the USCA?

edit: also I think it would be cool if the research points breakdown would project how many rp a year you make, even if it is just multiplying your current daily by 365, so I know about how long a tech will take to research, without having to do a math.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 22, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

James The 1st posted:

It tells you when the tech will finish when you hover over it.

Yes, but at certain points you want to only research something that you can finish before a certain date, so as to quickly get newly activated techs like the prestige ones or railroad upgrades or what have you.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Are you learning disabled?

You: I wish it would tell me how long it would take to research a tech!
James The 1st: It does. Hover over the tech.
You: Yeah, but sometimes you want to know when a tech will finish!

Yeah. I want to do that without spending the banked rp. Also I just want for it to show a projected amount of rp a year. I understand that im weird. Also you're a dick

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Voting is dumb anyway. Marxist science should decide the correct path for the government to take.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I've always wondered what the other names in the brackets are for. From all I can see this event just means you get 1 core and 10 prestige... right?

It gives you a core on every rival you border.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

Pre-HoD, just spam guards.

Post-HoD, you want 1 plane (if you have access to them) or otherwise 1 cavalry per stack. Then you want an equal number of infantry and artillery.

Except you want enough engineers to get 100% siege efficiency.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Tanks are good for artificially inflating your military score because they are really expensive. They are not really that good at fighting. Infatry+artillery is the best way to go probably.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

DrProsek posted:

Ah, I checked Savoy again in my most recent save before Italy takes over and their relations with everyone suddenly dropped to Neutral so it seems like you're right, and they had a revolution. That is really lame that I basically lose because a nation I have no control over had rebels take over, although I guess that's kinda sorta how Italy's unification happened as I recall. I just saved after it happened, transferred all of Italy's provinces to me and I'll just go with that. It kinda ruins the while "Papal States forever" thing since now I'm basically Italy just with a different name but oh well, at least I still have Papal Hawaii going :v:.

You should have kept the peace of god in the peninsula to prevent the revolution. You are a lovely pope.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Nixon: Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Danimo posted:

Is the save-game converter going to be released as a separate DLC for CK2 at release or some point after? EU4 is the first Paradox game I decided to get from Steam at launch and that appears to have bitten me the rear end, and if its just going to be some $5 thing like the Ruler Designer then I'm not going to bother with dealing with Steam Support

They said on the stream that all of the preorder throw in stuff will be available either same day as release or soon after.

• Locked thread