Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Fister Roboto posted:

I can definitely see them making DLC to flesh out minor nations, like giving them special events or decisions or non-generic NIs. That's basically what the LOR DLC was.

They could do DLCs with an earlier start date, like Old Gods, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any interest in setting up a page for the most batshit crazy / least broken CK2-EU4 conversions? Like we had for Mass Effect 2 saves?

It looks like the game is going to have Steam Workshop, so we could just get the good ones uploaded and link them.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Someone's made a Tamriel/Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings 2. Looks like it's pretty early in development, but it could be interesting.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

uPen posted:

There's no upper limit to how far you can improve relations with a vassal. With normal nations you can only hit +100 before your guy says I can't do it anymore but with vassals I've gotten it up to 140+ from that modifier alone so that I could annex.

And yeah rebels can be a huge loving deal, my Mughal game is in a death spiral because I have no manpower and the rebels just keep coming.

It's actually +200 with Vassals.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

This event is kind of amazing, but I wonder why Johan is one of the three choices here, of all the possible famous leaders.

(Johan had better stats, too).

VVVV
I meant a historical reason for it. I know he's a dev.
VVVV

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 17, 2013

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
My first game of EU4 is finally done (as Castille->Spain), and it's a decent improvement over EU3, but there's still some flawed areas:

-The Papal system is a boring and (under the default message settings), an information black hole.
-Colonial Rebellions are far, far too weak.
-The trade system railroads colonization if you want to do well. This screenshot shows how meagre tariffs end up, which means you end up colonizing in such a way as to feed trade back to your home node, which means you're limited as to where you can colonize.
-Not being able to change from a Monarchy to a Republic at all is a big let down.

It's got potential, though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Agreed. I really love the idea behind monarch points, but I don't like how they're so deeply tied to your ruler. They need some way of scaling with your country's size, too.

That's why I think it's a shame you can't convert over to a Republic (or other govtype). It'd certainly make dealing with a bad ruler more interesting (and involve an actual choice!) than just sinking a cog with him and a thousand men in it over and over until he dies.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Bear in mind that EU4 just came out and the stuff that they're going to add later will be significantly skewed towards flavour. The game is pretty bare in terms of interesting events right now and the mission system is basically hosed (enjoy your 50th mission to gain control of the Curia). The core gameplay is good and mods will make it better even if Paradox don't (though I expect a lot of improvement)

The worst missions are the "Build a Fort in X Province", which are like the old Manufactory ones in EU3 but way worse because they take less time and have less of a reward.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Coalitions are annoying as poo poo, and it makes no sense that Hungary and Muscovy would spend about 100 years and hundreds of thousands of men defending Yemen.

At the very least, there needs to be a "Force Out of Coalition" peace option, because right now you've gotta sit and do nothing for years until they finally decide to leave it.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
So it turns out that if a nation is in a coalition, doesn't end up as war leader and won't let the war leader negotiate for them then there's absolutely no way you can gain their provinces in that war.

That seems like a bit of an oversight.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Kersch posted:

Coalition members aren't supposed to be able to negotiate separately. You can't uncheck the 'allow leader to negotiate for me' button in a coalition war.

In that case, the oversight is that the AI seems to be able to uncheck it even when it shouldn't be able to.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Kavak posted:

Darkest Hour is the only game that comes with a WWI scenario and has a very nice map designed to accommodate it. Hearts of Iron 2, even with expansions, doesn't have most of the "quality of life" features Darkest Hour has, like automated trade and decisions. Arsenal of Democracy adds stuff like national ideas and other mechanics- it goes in a very different direction than DH and doesn't have Kaiserreich. Same with Hearts of Iron 3, but I'll let others tear into it.

Kaiserreich, on top of being the best alt history scenario ever, has more stuff to do for most countries, so you don't have to play a major military and industrial power for an interesting experience.

Does Darkest Hour have spacebar pause? Because that (along with most of them looking ugly as poo poo) is my main issue with Europa engine games.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Patter Song posted:

To me the problem with extending V2's timeline that far back for V3 is that you'd end up with an effectively alien world almost every game. Even extending the timeline back to 1821 would lead to the problem of having much of Latin America likely remaining Spanish most games. You could have Mexico and Colombia as independent states at war with Spain in the beginning, but even then there's a decent chance that Bolivia/Peru and Argentina/Chile would stick with Spain most of the time. Not to mention having to make sure that the Ottoman starting war with Greece is a likely failure to avoid super-Ottomans showing up every game.

Could the new EU4 mechanics for colonial nations not work to deal with this to some extent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Wiz posted:

Second, and more importantly, is the way military tech and units scale right now. Just a few technologies can mean increasing the power of your soldiers five or ten times, and when you add the inherent superiority of late-game western units on top of that, the result becomes absurd. 10k Western troops at tech 25 can easily take 100k Chinese troops at tech 20, and that's just a difference of 5 techs. The biggest culprit here is unit pips, after a certain point units start progressing in leaps of 1-2 pips per category, which is equivalent to always having 1-2 extra pips on both shock and fire in all your generals, and when you add large increases in military tactics, morale and raw damage, the battles turn into tanks versus spearmen.

Wasn't this because EU4 still uses the same unit lists (mostly?) as EU3 did?

• Locked thread